Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to invent the gammon seeking missile I'm not going to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

What the hell is that gibberish

E: the heat pump stuff
Telegraph journos trying to heat their homes

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Thank you guava and lol.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

Obviously I don't actually want it to happen because mass death and all that, but sometimes I do very much feel like I'm the long term the UK would benefit from being on the losing side of a particularly vicious war, if only to knock the weirdo boomer larpers down a peg or two

It is extremely telling how nationalist pro-military gammon types start frothing about the second world war or occasionally the Falklands but go very quiet about some of the other conflicts the UK has been involved in since 1945 other than the most basic "support our boys, lets not revisit history" context. Hard to make the Malayan Emergency, Suez or the Troubles look good even in a very sanitised history.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean not really, the UK itself was never remotely threatened and we never had the taliban marching down the streets of Birmingham, much though certain right wing figures would have you believe otherwise.

The UK went through a mass casualty event over the past 2 years and the only reflection that happened was "open er up!"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It is extremely telling how nationalist pro-military gammon types start frothing about the second world war or occasionally the Falklands but go very quiet about some of the other conflicts the UK has been involved in since 1945 other than the most basic "support our boys, lets not revisit history" context. Hard to make the Malayan Emergency, Suez or the Troubles look good even in a very sanitised history.

Tbh I reckon a lot of them earnestly believe a stab in the back myth about the troubles - soft labour surrendered, what we should have done was send more troops and shoot more unarmed civilians and probably invade the Republic for good measure.

Z the IVth posted:

The UK went through a mass casualty event over the past 2 years and the only reflection that happened was "open er up!"

Yeah but they're not really the same are they. It's less about people dying, they don't care about that, and more about some external power showing them that they're not as 'ard or as special or as wise as they think they are.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 24, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Good day to bury some bad news! Best way to grow the economy is simply to indebt its citizens. very smart country

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah but they're not really the same are they. It's less about people dying, they don't care about that, and more about some external power showing them that they're not as 'ard or as special or as wise as they think they are.

If we're going with the stab in the back myth they transitioned immediately to blaming the yooths for covid and also everyone is too soft anyway I would rather die than not go to a garden center and then a lot of them did die of garden center and survivorship bias kept the rest of them saying exactly the same thing.

So I am not sure that literal russians marching down the street shooting people with AKs would elicit anything other than a column about how this is jiminy crombyn's fault and the yooths didn't do their part to defend are glouriouse britaine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got russian (and belorussian, and bosnian) coworkers and they're joking about if they should go down there in a pidgin mix of swedish and russian.

"So we heading down or what?"
"Which side?!"
"Well I think it'll be easier on the russian one"
"LOL"
"loving putin though"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got russian (and belorussian, and bosnian) coworkers and they're joking about if they should go down there in a pidgin mix of swedish and russian.

"So we heading down or what?"
"Which side?!"
"Well I think it'll be easier on the russian one"
"LOL"
"loving putin though"

Posted this in the other thread but we outsourced one of our dev teams to Kiev. As of yesterday they were joking about dentist appointments, but this morning they've all gone silent. They've been told (though I'm not sure if it's by the company or the government) to evacuate Kiev immediately, preferably to somewhere outside Ukraine. We know one guy has made it to Germany but nothing from anyone else yet.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I still have the NHS Covid app running on my phone (for all the good its done) and it just buzzed me a new notification

'COVID-19 Restrictions have been removed in England'

Woo, we beat the pandemic guys!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I still have the NHS Covid app running on my phone (for all the good its done) and it just buzzed me a new notification

Let me welcome you to Level 2 of ''The Game Of life!'' :stonklol:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Guavanaut posted:

They've been back and forth on "Heat pump installer: I use all wood stoves to heat my own home because heat pumps are babby garbage" and "Senior Michael Gove aide when Michael Gove was relevant to the environment: wood stoves are worse than traffic and kill children" in their sponsored articles with enough regularity that it must be some kind of internal culture war on top of the usual clickbait both sides.

Many years ago I looked at heat pumps (as the current house is oil). Ground source is ace-best, as it is effectively recovering slow solar heat from the environment. You need a good half-acre of farmland to make it work, and a shitload of cash. Air-source is basically reverse air-con, and comes with the large loud compressor that will piss off your neighbours. In spring/autumn, you get reasonable efficiency from the unit, but in winter when you need it, the efficiency drops. Still better than pure electric heating.
But - none of the heatpumps, or even solar thermal, gets very hot. Hot-water tap hot mostly, so they truly suck at running radiators. However, if you are planning on building a house, then first get a good acre or so. Build your house, and install underfloor heating everywhere, and then you can run an efficient ground source heat pump setup. In the mother of all Vimes boots analogies, you can heat for an average of ~1/3 of the electric unit price per KW, which is pretty drat good. Whole setup will easily cost you over half a million, so your time to recoup is... well... *cough* ...a 'few' lifetimes.

Attempting to do this effectively on virtually any existing housing stock is of course impossible. But the reasons why are deeper than surface, and there's money to be made selling this stuff, as people will do it in the belief that it will 'help'. And of course there will be more to be made in 5 years selling the claim management services.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

So it's "The Purge" but with COVID laws, great

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

How is it possible to be this clueless about what is going on?

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1496811715950002176

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Enjoyable post-username combo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh hang on. I’ve found an even better one

https://twitter.com/sophielouisecc/status/1496810074655838211

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't believe the russians shot down elton john.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Let me welcome you to Level 2 of ''The Game Of life!'' :stonklol:

More like New Game +.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

So I am not sure that literal russians marching down the street shooting people with AKs would elicit anything other than a column about how this is jiminy crombyn's fault and the yooths didn't do their part to defend are glouriouse britaine.
Honestly, the headlines and tweets during the food shortages of "This is like something you would see in corbyn's britain!" cemented that Long Corbyn has destroyed centrists minds and this will always, eternally be Somehow Jeremy Corbyn's Fault.

We deserve this, come come nuclear bomb, etc.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just came into my head there, what about Eurovision this year and Ukraine?
So I did some googling, and there is a story here if you want to read about this years entry.
They only confirmed the group 2 DAYS ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2022

And for the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqgjD_SNss

Can see this getting all 12s just as a gently caress you to Russia.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

\
"Cor, imagine how bad this would be under jeremee flippin' corbyn, eh?"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

\
"Cor, imagine how bad this would be under jeremee flippin' corbyn, eh?"

What's this a photo of?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Threads, innit.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/philipproudfoot/status/1496779691763531781?s=21

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1496815235558223873?s=21

Scratch a liberal…

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

What is the other thread people keep mentioning

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OzyMandrill posted:

Attempting to do this effectively on virtually any existing housing stock is of course impossible. But the reasons why are deeper than surface, and there's money to be made selling this stuff, as people will do it in the belief that it will 'help'. And of course there will be more to be made in 5 years selling the claim management services.
Really for most normal (for Britain) houses air-air split system heat pumps seem to do a better job than any amount of tepid water based heating, with the advantage that you can also use them to remove heat during the one week a year that becomes an issue. Unless like you say you're building new and are going to passivhaus and add ground loops.

You'll probably still need a supplementary source during the deepest days of winter though, and with gas prices predicted to rise massively that's where the whole case for "idk maybe running a wood stove for a few days during midwinter isn't the biggest social evil" comes in.

The real nuclear deterrent is the energy infrastructure we should have done in the 90s. :hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wait, are you criticizing the ones supporting charity for a country facing an unprovoked invasion by an imperialist power or what?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1496820964994293763

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

OzyMandrill posted:

Many years ago

Air-source has changed a bit since then. The lower operating temperature is fine if you oversize your radiators and those are cheap in comparison to the actual unit. Also the outdoor compressor - ours at least - is extremely quiet. I've been stood next to it when it kicks in and it's not particularly noisy. We've just gone through a chilly winter and it's fine. Our hot water is maintained at 50C and it kicks up to over 60C once a month to prevent Legionnaires.

We installed underfloor heating downstairs when we moved in and have decent insulation thanks to the previous owner so we're pretty much an ideal case. We paid approx £14,900 for the system and installation and the RHI payments come in at £14,300 over 7 years. Essentially, we got off gas for the price of a boiler. The only gas we have now is the rings on the cooker.

Cost is hard to calculate at the moment because we have an issue with our plumbing which needs sorting out (a single remote radiator must be left on, or the system sees a blockage), plus we moved to an electric car. I suspect it's noticeably more expensive to run.

e: wordage

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 24, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He'd loving better, the inbred babbling worthless sack of trash.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wonder if Alexander de Pfeffel is at any point going to start regretting using his middle name in public life in order to sound more raffish and less right wing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He will go by Alexander the Liberator to sound less Russian.

Biggus Dickus posted:

Air-source has changed a bit since then. The lower operating temperature is fine if you oversize your radiators and radiators are cheap in comparison to the actual unit.
You can also use active radiators if you do want to go with an air to water pump, but yes R-32, inverter compressors, and overall improved design have solved a lot of the problems of air to air and air to water heatpumps.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"We are going to hobble them economically by surrendering the UK to them.'

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

A very tiny part of me feels kinda sorry for the handful of edgy right wing teenagers who keep getting buttered up by the reactionary media. We all had our dumbass Exceptionally Wrong phases back in the day but while were mostly allowed to forget it they never will. Social media is one part of this, but they're actually being courted and made to feel as if they're respected, serious political commentators by ideologically driven outlets desperate for young people who'll push the right line. They have no idea how little anyone outside of that tiny bubble takes them seriously. When they get a few years behind them and realise how dumb they've been being it's going to be brutally humiliating for them to look back on it all and realise how silly they actually looked and how nakedly they were being cynically lied to and exploited.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just received an email containing this info:

Please remove your NHS COVID-19 QR code poster and other check in systems
As people no longer need to check in, please remove any NHS COVID-19 QR code posters or any systems that you use to collect contact details at your venue.

We had a poster because most of the flats are occupied by elderly (over 80) people but as far as I know, noone ever used it!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, are you criticizing the ones supporting charity for a country facing an unprovoked invasion by an imperialist power or what?

I think what he is suggesting is that mixing humanitarian and military charities together in the same post gives a link in peoples' (eg Russian military) minds between humanitarian aid (food, water, meds) and military (weapons, tech etc) and as a result can hamper (or stop) humanitarian aid from being allowed through. So Proudfoot is asking that just humanitarian charities should appear in that list to keep a clear separation.
(This is how I read the post anyway!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's wrong, and then there's
https://twitter.com/sophielouisecc/status/1494279187884130310

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think experience would suggest that actually they will just keep having terrible ideas and have to look for different sources of funding for them until they die.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Idk whereas most people can grow and develop and realise they used to be dumb, I think that would be a lot harder if you were a teenager with media channels you perceive as being very professional and serious fawning over you and telling you you're very smart and cool for having stupid ideas. The need for approval would I think, especially at that age, make it much easier to ignore all the cognitive dissonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

A very tiny part of me feels kinda sorry for the handful of edgy right wing teenagers who keep getting buttered up by the reactionary media. We all had our dumbass Exceptionally Wrong phases back in the day but while were mostly allowed to forget it they never will. Social media is one part of this, but they're actually being courted and made to feel as if they're respected, serious political commentators by ideologically driven outlets desperate for young people who'll push the right line. They have no idea how little anyone outside of that tiny bubble takes them seriously. When they get a few years behind them and realise how dumb they've been being it's going to be brutally humiliating for them to look back on it all and realise how silly they actually looked and how nakedly they were being cynically lied to and exploited.

Lol, Tom Harwood gets paid to do some ludicrous morning show on GB News now, I don't think he regrets a thing. And he got his start in the most literal and specific way possible, doing this: