Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Answers Me posted:

‘Issuing weapons to anyone who wants them’ sounds like a recipe for absolute chaos

As opposed to what? There's invaders in the streets, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I can just imagine a load of jittery, untrained people killing their neighbours in a blind panic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mystic Mongol posted:

The war will be over in a few weeks but those guns will go around for decades :shrug:

Obviously when you are being invaded you think short term, but still.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
e: nah

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Isn't the strategy to let areas be overrun and then cut them off and attack from their rear?

pippy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 24, 2022

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mystic Mongol posted:

Arming the general populace with automatic weapons is an invitation for the opposing professional army to view and treat any soul they see as an immediate armed threat.
It is essentially a blank check to turbo massacre on sight every civilian in Ukraine.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
EDIT: Replied instead of edit

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Dante80 posted:

Arming the general populace with automatic weapons is an invitation for the opposing professional army to view and treat any soul they see as an immediate armed threat.
It is essentially a blank check to turbo massacre on sight every civilian in Ukraine.

Yes? And then Russia will be massacring civilians and increasing any resistance movements determination.

This is war isn't it?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

pippy posted:

Isn't the strategy to let areas be overrun and then attack them cut them off and attack from their rear?

That's more or less the principle of defense in depth, and if the Ukrainian military planners are at all competent that's probably what they are trying to do. We won't know if it's actually going to work for a while

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
There are reports here than even civilian targets were attacked in Kharkiv (an apartment building I believe). This is really bad.

Several NATO countries are invoking article 4, which says something about consultation for territorial integrity. Anyone that has a good understanding of this care to ELI5?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Affi posted:

Yes? And then Russia will be massacring civilians and increasing any resistance movements determination.

This is war isn't it?

There is war and there is fighting to the last Ukrainian, something that I wouldn't want to happen.
Massacring civilians is also something that I wouldn't want to happen. And the last thing I'd want would be to make it easier.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 24, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What I hope Europe does is never buy any Russian gas again, at least not while Putin is in power. His bet is that Europe is so reliant on his gas that they will tolerate this. Even if it hurts in the short term, it's essential to prove him wrong.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russian helos hitting an airport outside Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/novostidnua/status/1496800194767331331
https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496800970298302465

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Does anyone know what Scholz said in his address? I watched it on local TV but the translation feed crapped out.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

abske_fides posted:

There are reports here than even civilian targets were attacked in Kharkiv (an apartment building I believe). This is really bad.

Several NATO countries are invoking article 4, which says something about consultation for territorial integrity. Anyone that has a good understanding of this care to ELI5?

It means that they called a special NATO meeting as they fear that their borders are in danger. Not sure if it also starts other mechanisms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Affi posted:

This is war isn't it?

Historically, if a country starts massacring civilians to suppress resistance, that generally results in a horrific amount of dead civilians and still not a very effective resistance. It's not a storybook where atrocities only make the plucky rebels fight harder, people just die and it achieves very little.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1496797101677850630?t=r07Mg6XqQeC6zXy1rgMpNA&s=19

And so the weaseling in Europe begins

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

abske_fides posted:

It’s essentially a demand (can’t think of an appropriate word) for immediate, NATO-wide consultations with regard to a specific incident (such as Russia invading Ukraine) for the purpose of developing a unified policy in response.

I’m not entirely sure why the article is being invoked as I thought NATO had already held a meeting this morning.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Darth Walrus posted:

What would your take be on Russia establishing, funding, and arming an alliance of South American (and/or Middle Eastern) countries to help them defend against US aggression?

That's not a gotcha where I think the answer is obvious, by the way - I think it's a hypothetical that's genuinely worth exploring and considering the pros and cons of to put this whole thing in perspective. I also think it's not quite as outlandish as it sounds, given how much of Putin's international policy seems to be about demonstrating that Russia can play the same game by the same rules as the US. Next time America does an imperialism, I think we can expect a shitload of Russian weaponry to mysteriously appear in the hands of their adversaries.

If this was the will of, and would be a benefit to, the people of those countries, sure? In a pure moral sense, I think countries have a right to self determination. To continue flipping this patty, if say, Venezuela requests aid from China, should we clap our hands/shrug our shoulders when America invades? Would we say it's China's fault that America invaded?

And for the second point, again, you are only thinking in terms of Russia and USA, as they are the only sentient beings, and everyone else is just a pawn with no agency or will of their own. Would say, the Baltics be more happy in your theoretical scenario?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The gas must flow and the Russian oligarchs must have their downtown penthouses

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I hope Boris Johnson sanctions three more oligarchs today. That's oughta show Putin who's the boss.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

air assaults going on on the crossings of the Dnieper and around Kyiv

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1496801532066635779

https://twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1496802824537227269?t=r8trdRoBadhR0rFEZcEqsA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Novynarnia/status/1496800458073124868

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

It seems they are going in on Hostomel.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496803235692269569

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

FishBulbia posted:

air assaults going on on the crossings of the Dnieper and around Kyiv

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1496801532066635779

How the gently caress are people casually hanging around while there's a Hind idling by

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvk05EJ0rk

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1496803366420287492

Russian forces crossing the Dniper in Southern Ukraine

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

e: wrong thread

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 24, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I take Europe's unwillingness to touch SWIFT as a go-ahead for Russia to move up to the Polish border. We are basically greenlighting this poo poo from our side, do whatever

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

How the gently caress are people casually hanging around while there's a Hind idling by

*gravelly voice* A Hind D?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

I take Europe's unwillingness to touch SWIFT as a go-ahead for Russia to move up to the Polish border. We are basically greenlighting this poo poo from our side, do whatever

Yeah we're beyond the excuse of this being a negotiation tactic, the EU-bloc is just completely unable to act in its own long-term strategic interests.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Would this really be effective in any way? I'm all for making the hardest possible response but I'm not really clear if this would do anything and not just backfire

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Would this really be effective in any way? I'm all for making the hardest possible response but I'm not really clear if this would do anything and not just backfire

Yes. In sum, all financial sanctions can be effective. The problem is that EU are thinking, as all cowards do, "this might be slightly uncomfortable for me in the near term". Russia should be cut off from the modern Western world and not allowed to participate in it. If they want a great Tsarist empire, do it from the 1700s.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ola posted:

What I hope Europe does is never buy any Russian gas again, at least not while Putin is in power. His bet is that Europe is so reliant on his gas that they will tolerate this. Even if it hurts in the short term, it's essential to prove him wrong.

The problem is, he is in fact correct.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

The problem is, he is in fact correct.

So far, sadly yes. I hope things can change for the better.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The only sanction that matters is oil, which is the one sanction that will never be placed on Russia. Ukraine is entirely on its own aside from maybe some equipment/guns/money from the West.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

At some point all this insane poo poo is gonna get bogged down in bloody close quarter urban fighting and at some point someone in the Putinbunker is gonna have to have to make a decision if they want to continue with the meat grinder or stick to what they have so far and they gonna make a pro and cons list in their mind and nowhere in their cons lost will there be the fear of economic damage to the motherland from Europe

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, if the idea is to try to use sanctions to ward off the invasion, you've got to be a lot more willing to suffer a little bit in the short term to make it happen. Otherwise, the reponse has to be sending in the NATO RRF.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

At some point all this insane poo poo is gonna get bogged down in bloody close quarter urban fighting and at some point someone in the Putinbunker is gonna have to have to make a decision if they want to continue with the meat grinder or stick to what they have so far and they gonna make a pro and cons list in their mind and nowhere in their cons lost will there be the fear of economic damage to the motherland from Europe

Is it? Haven't the Ukrainians already lost Kharkiv? I'm genuinely asking because obviously everything is very confused and up in the air right now but it kinda feels like Russia is just rolling through

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Don't those sanctions require unanimity from all 27 members? All it takes is a single member with cold feet and it doesn't go through. Make it 2-3 and they get to support each other and handle the pressure better from the others. Poland have enjoyed their fair share of that system when they were on the minority side of different debates. While I find it pretty sad that sanctions will likely be heavily watered down, that's how the EU works, for better or worse.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, if the idea is to try to use sanctions to ward off the invasion, you've got to be a lot more willing to suffer a little bit in the short term to make it happen. Otherwise, the reponse has to be sending in the NATO RRF.

I think, or at least hope, that we are beyond entertaining any notion that Putin will be back shaking hands with Western leaders. The sanctions should be so hard that powerful oligarchs thinks their future is better without Putin than with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Is it? Haven't the Ukrainians already lost Kharkiv? I'm genuinely asking because obviously everything is very confused and up in the air right now but it kinda feels like Russia is just rolling through

There is heavy fighting around Kharkiv. Russian forces are so far unopposed in the south. Interior ministry has confirmed VDV landing at airport outside Kyiv.