Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I would never be able to afford a full army of exalted plaguebearers + soulgrinders unless I basically owned most of the chaos wastes already. My economy is poo poo all the time and I'm only playing on hard. I can't imagine what it's like on Very hard or legendary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

alex314 posted:

it's also probably 6k upkeep, so at least 2 whole provinces needed to keep that one running..
I like Nurgle soulgrinders, they are amazing at deleting stationary ranged or cavalry, and fast enough to capture a point, while sturdy enough to not fold over when attacked. The cost though..

like 3K-4K upkeep

gotta get the blue line reductions and them little followers that reduce the upkeep

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I mean it is easy to afford with one province if you are ok with constantly battling daemons for 5K-10K per battle.

Or if you got all the plague techs and have the 150 plague jumping around.

Or if you get the sacking bonuses.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright Kislev players, what's your take on the Ice/Tempest schools? Might be restarting soon with Boris instead of Katarina and wanted to know the best path forward.

I somewhat disagree with the other posters. The real answer imo is that you want both lores in your armies if possible since they complement each other quite well. The slow from Tempest stacks with the slows from the Ice spells. You should be casting Ice Sheet and Gust of True Flight together as the enemy approaches your lines in every battle.

Ice:

Ice Maidens Kiss does a lot more damage when overcasted, is pretty cheap and can be spammed. Since it's a cone, it's more reliable than Hailstorm but doesn't affect as wide an area. It also slows, which stacks with most things so combo'ing it with Ice Sheet and Tempest slow can really mess up an enemy army. Ice Sheet is amazing as said. Death Frost is ok, It's almost twice as expensive as Spirit Leech but lasts almost twice as long so eh. I mainly use it to make Greater Demons die faster or win duels. I've not really used Frost Blades, it looks good but single-target buffs are hard to justify casting. I've literally never used Crystal Sanctuary, it's just too expensive. The real draw of the lore is Heart of Winter imo. It does crazy damage (much more than Tempests options I've found, and its all direct damage) and slows things to stop them from getting away, which also stacks with all your other slows. And it's friendly-fire free. I level up all my battle-field Ice casters to getting it and Arcane Conduit asap because it can literally win you battles by itself if you use it in the right place. Plop it on the biggest blob of your enemies expensive stuff and do your best Witches cackle to the bank.

Tempest:

Hailstorm is good, overcasted adds a lot more shards and it can do some good work on clumped up enemies. It will damage your own units and the shards are unreliable in how they hit though. I prefer Kiss personally. Gust of True Flight rocks, get it fully upgraded asap and overcast it as they approach and your units will start deleting things. I don't use Swiftwing, Kislev cav is pretty anemic and I doubt this spell would save them. Biting Wind is somewhat underwhelming for its cost imo, I've not used it too much. Just save some more Winds and cast the better damage spells imo. Blizzard is a static vortex that does friendly-fire but is 100% AP and draws enemies in to stop them fleeing so it can be really good with careful casts. Hawks of Miska doesn't hurt your troops but is more unreliable damage, moves in random directions and 0% AP. Get both eventually and use as needed.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 24, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ranked matches are kinda hosed. People just leave the lobby when they see what race you've picked if their one isn't a direct counter to it, also im pretty sure someone disconnected their internet and it gave me the defeat. feels like matchmaking from like 15 years ago with stuff like that.

you can also apparently load a saved loudout of a different race and it'll switch you even if you have 'locked' in something else apparently but i dont think people know about that and i've not tried it

e: i also get being able to see your enemies race so there's the aspect of being able to put counters in but it's really dumb because some factions can just spam a hard counter to you and you're hosed! if people couldnt' see they'd have to go in with a balanced opening force.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 24, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hemale in pain posted:

Ranked matches are kinda hosed. People just leave the lobby when they see what race you've picked if their one isn't a direct counter to it, also im pretty sure someone disconnected their internet and it gave me the defeat. feels like matchmaking from like 15 years ago with stuff like that.

you can also apparently load a saved loudout of a different race and it'll switch you even if you have 'locked' in something else apparently but i dont think people know about that and i've not tried it

People leaving will prolly get better after the release hype dies down. The longer term community was a lot chiller in TWW2 iirc.

The Witcher season 2 has a chicken leg hut and it has me excited to get Lady Whatshername on a hut mount. And they better fucken give her a hut mount.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Daemon Prince is not a good lord but recruiting the entire Khorne roster for zero dollars is pretty entertaining.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It's getting kind of old having Kislev attack me with four stacks every 10 turns. I'm khorne so they just all die immediately but it's still annoying!

Can't even burn their cities down since I'm trying to do the main quest line

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Oblivious posted:

Daemon Prince is not a good lord but recruiting the entire Khorne roster for zero dollars is pretty entertaining.

You can build him to be pretty useful in a variety of ways(summons, mortis engine effects, etc) but he starts REALLY lovely and takes a long time to become decent, and even when he's tooled out he's hardly a god-tier combat monster. It's pretty amusing to me that a level 1 naked Skarbrand or N'Kari can probably beat the piss out of a fully customized daemon prince.

But yeah, the draw to the faction is his titanic upkeep reduction allowing you to field overpowered nonsense army compositions, and that part is pretty fun. Running a khorne line with slaaneshi cavalry and some flamers is a really funny example.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah, the lord isn't stronger than the others but he is more customizable which is the point. He can also get access to all units but he can't buff them like Skarbrand can buff his khorne units. There's a decent give and take tehre

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, the lord isn't stronger than the others but he is more customizable which is the point. He can also get access to all units but he can't buff them like Skarbrand can buff his khorne units. There's a decent give and take tehre

There's interesting choices going monogod, lots of perfect vigor in those final trees. For a customizable Lord he is largely a figurehead to choose to run combined arms demon or limit yourself a bit and really make 1/4 shine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cheers all for the Ice/Tempest stuff! Yeah, they're very synergistic, enough that I splash out for the Ice Witch Lord/Frost Tempest Maiden combo for every army that isn't an LL-led one, and for the non-caster LLs I take both types.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

I feel like he should be pretty much the last word in overpowered nonsense if you level him up all the way given the effort involved, but unfortunately most of the 5000 body parts they give you are total poo poo.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The Skarbrand opening talk mentions at the end that the more skulls you collect the closer you'll get to Ursun, and it makes me wonder if the original campaign design relied on collecting enough of your faction specific currency to access the Realm of Chaos. It'd make sense; each faction has one and collecting more of it would be a good incentive to conquer more land on the campaign map, as opposed to the more passive play the current design encourages.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
You can get Demon Prince up to 45% phys resistance and 160 armor. Would be good if every demon faction wasn't soaked with magic damage and armor piercing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah units that rely on physical resistance really do not do too great in this game

most of them were joke units anyways though

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

They're utterly broken, especially Miao Ying. DameOffensive was playing her as a one woman doomstack mixing the Von Carstein Blade with the Talons of Night spell - which worked amazingly well when I copied it. (Talons of Night is amazing if they blob up on your caster, and one reason she's broken is she gets a healing cap in each form). If the rest of your army (i.e. a single unit) is in stalk human form fighter works very well as it's too small to be focus fired and has some excellent animations.

The only thing I found that stopped her (including Skarbrand) was a 20 stack of skaven mostly made up of gutter and night runners in a fortified city. Even then she retreated with about 3000 kills; she'd just reached her healing cap in human form and turning into dragon form and staying around to fight was asking to be pelted down by towers and poisoned shuriken.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Perestroika posted:

My strategy was to keep Miao in human form at the start for the harmony amplifier and to give ranged units that extra little buff. Once melee starts I switched her over to dragon form and had her blender through units.

I don't think you need to worry about not investing in the "fighter" skills. Even unbuffed by skill upgrades the dragon form is pretty good. It's poo poo for dueling single entities (due to animations/attack behavior), but will give even high tier units with anti-large a miserable time.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 24, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Third World Reagan posted:

I mean it is easy to afford with one province if you are ok with constantly battling daemons for 5K-10K per battle.

Or if you got all the plague techs and have the 150 plague jumping around.

Or if you get the sacking bonuses.

Yes, a good source of income as Nurgle is to get some plague cultists spreading the +150 favor plague around areas far away from you as early as you can. Not sure if that is best paired with the +20% chance of spread or the +3 turn duration. I've been going with the duration but haven't read any analysis on it.

I think Nurgle is quite good on the campaign map due to plagues, although they do suffer from the 'AI basically ignores attrition mechanic' problem you can still give the enemies some nice debuffs like -50% spell resistance. They are just a bit boring to play on the battle map, get absolutely mulched by Tzeench who is one of your primary opponents, and are abysmal at autoresolving forcing you to fight every battle.

Also as a 'slow and steady' faction good at defense they are probably the least suited towards the current campaign 'race' goal.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
My Skarbrand campaign continues to be hilarious, this might be the only one of the campaigns I finish on this map, but I think I'm gonna paint the map entirely red as well because it's so much fun being the big red truck.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Both are incredibly good, with an edge towards Miao because having healing spell access and Talons of Night is better than what Zhao brings to the table(though he is naturally tankier due to passive regen, better MD, and better armor). You don't really need to focus on one form or another; both of them will be investing in spells/red line/their unique skills early anyway. Miao gains more out of being in caster form than Zhao because her spell list is generally better.

I usually use them in caster form to bolster the harmony bonus of the line while the enemy approaches and gets pummeled, maybe cast a spell or two when the lines meet, then go dragon form and kick their lord's rear end.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
finally got the game running and woof i gotta relearn how to do war good

yeah i took a photo of my screen don’t @ me

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
Has anyone gotten far down the Boris campaign? I see no point at all in investing in the devotion/supporters mechanic beyond the bare minimum necessary to get patriarchs and maybe some of the invocations going--mostly because I have no special buildings for them or room for them, but also because it's opaque how exactly the supporter tier bonuses or even the ending confederation works. Do they confederate each other? Does the winner confederate with me? What the gently caress is going on?

Also hoping to confirm with Kislev players in general how the hallowed wood/farm income bonus works, if it even works at all. The Hallowed Wood describes a +10/+25/+50% bonus for each farm in its province, but that does not seem to occur at all when I build them, not even close. No idea if it stacks with multiple HWs, either. It seems like it would be optimal to always build markets for the flat income bonus because I don't desperately need the extra replenishment or corruption reduction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't finish a campaign.

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The soul battles should either have checkpoints to save in them or should be splittable into multiple battles, those are some long rear end battles and the game doesn't really tell you.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Syphilicious! posted:

Has anyone gotten far down the Boris campaign? I see no point at all in investing in the devotion/supporters mechanic beyond the bare minimum necessary to get patriarchs and maybe some of the invocations going--mostly because I have no special buildings for them or room for them, but also because it's opaque how exactly the supporter tier bonuses or even the ending confederation works. Do they confederate each other? Does the winner confederate with me? What the gently caress is going on?

Also hoping to confirm with Kislev players in general how the hallowed wood/farm income bonus works, if it even works at all. The Hallowed Wood describes a +10/+25/+50% bonus for each farm in its province, but that does not seem to occur at all when I build them, not even close. No idea if it stacks with multiple HWs, either. It seems like it would be optimal to always build markets for the flat income bonus because I don't desperately need the extra replenishment or corruption reduction.

Apparently, the one that wins does still confederate the other and then you can confederate them. It's recommended to support Katarin in that case since Boris gets a bonus to diplo with her.

Hallowed Woods only gives a bonus to farms in the same settlement, not province. I was wondering about this myself for the longest time.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
How obnoxious. Thank you for the answer.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Wanted to shout out Beasts of Nurgle as another key unit.

At least on my N/N campaign- I lost maybe one beast.

They have default regeneration and can take on more than one unit

Perfect for holding a line while my plague bearers dealt with something else. And before my economy kicked in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm having so much fun with Skrag. It's a great starting position, you have plenty of tiny victims. Once you clear out the dwarves and skaven you can start chewing on Karl and sweep through the empire.

Ogres might as well be called the anti human faction, as they have the best units for annihilating infantry blocks. Ogre charge nullifies a lot of spear units, gorgers go for the flanks and work well in sieges, and their roster has a good overall variety of units. The 3 combat buff skills they get are good for snowballing to a victory (killing units that are retreating builds up the meter). Their base speed is pretty high, which helps facilitate their strengths.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

The soul battles should either have checkpoints to save in them or should be splittable into multiple battles, those are some long rear end battles and the game doesn't really tell you.

They're at least a pretty decent antidote to ranged-heavy armies, when you run out of ammo halfway through the battle. My Ogre army consisting of mostly Leadbelchers had some fun times when every single one of them was out of ammo by the last wave.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jokes posted:

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Ambush stance? Block army agents? Play Tzeentch and stop their entire faction?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yes, a good source of income as Nurgle is to get some plague cultists spreading the +150 favor plague around areas far away from you as early as you can. Not sure if that is best paired with the +20% chance of spread or the +3 turn duration. I've been going with the duration but haven't read any analysis on it.

I think Nurgle is quite good on the campaign map due to plagues, although they do suffer from the 'AI basically ignores attrition mechanic' problem you can still give the enemies some nice debuffs like -50% spell resistance. They are just a bit boring to play on the battle map, get absolutely mulched by Tzeench who is one of your primary opponents, and are abysmal at autoresolving forcing you to fight every battle.

Also as a 'slow and steady' faction good at defense they are probably the least suited towards the current campaign 'race' goal.

I'm feeling like the duration is better for spread from experimentation and also you just naturally get chance of spread through techs. I agree they can be one note in the battles (which is ideal at the moment as I move the camera around looking at stuff) but I'm getting into some higher level stuff that is fun. Mobility is very achievable with things like mounted cultists summoning your flanker force around himself. And I've got one stack of 2 death caster plagueridden on flies that just loooove to character snipe and have never even remotely come close to something I would call danger.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 24, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

My Skarbrand campaign continues to be hilarious, this might be the only one of the campaigns I finish on this map, but I think I'm gonna paint the map entirely red as well because it's so much fun being the big red truck.

I said this in the other thread but its so good, its like an ultra-refined version of Taurox's campaign with all the rough edges smoothed out so you can enjoy the pure unfiltered violence

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

jokes posted:

You need to abuse ambush. Forest terrain gives a higher ambush chance so try there when possible. There's many effects which reduce enemy army movement by 20%. You can bait the army into overextending then jump them.

Sometimes you can just ambush them outright. My first fight vs Karl as Skrag I procced an ambush and devastated a force that had 3x mortars, 3x crossbowmen and 2x handgunners with swordsmen for the rest.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Double Bill posted:

They're at least a pretty decent antidote to ranged-heavy armies, when you run out of ammo halfway through the battle. My Ogre army consisting of mostly Leadbelchers had some fun times when every single one of them was out of ammo by the last wave.

Hey game does a poor job of explaining but in the survival battles on the lower right of your UI are little buttons that let you heal, replenish ammo, and upgrade damage and armor/resistance for your units. It is another excellent source on the road to "GET SKARBRAND OVER 4K DAMAGE" hidden quest i'm sure it's there maybe hidden achievement

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

Hey game does a poor job of explaining but in the survival battles on the lower right of your UI are little buttons that let you heal, replenish ammo, and upgrade damage and armor/resistance for your units. It is another excellent source on the road to "GET SKARBRAND OVER 4K DAMAGE" hidden quest i'm sure it's there maybe hidden achievement

Literally didn't know this, I only noticed the reinforcements stuff. I've somehow managed to get through three souls battles without using any of that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Looks like the first hotfix is out, Steam just downloaded a 520mb update.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Looks like the first hotfix is out, Steam just downloaded a 520mb update.

Any writeup of what's included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Why does Skrag, the largest Elector Count, not simply eat the other Elector Counts?