Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A Spherical Sponge posted:

It's going to be so dumb if this is the thing that kicks off WW3. I don't give a poo poo about Ukraine or Russia, why do I have to die in nuclear hellfire to ensure the territorial integrity of some loser country

because of this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

break-up breakdown posted:

when do we start blaming the ukrainians for not putting up enough of a fight

immediately

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A Spherical Sponge posted:

It's going to be so dumb if this is the thing that kicks off WW3. I don't give a poo poo about Ukraine or Russia, why do I have to die in nuclear hellfire to ensure the territorial integrity of some loser country

Sorry, that's XCOM baby.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr Hootington posted:

Reminder to those who want to see action in this war: nothing is stopping you from flying to a neighboring country and crossing borders. It is that easy. Fight for biden

im boarding the plane right now

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i dunno how long did it take for the media to start calling the ANA cowards and stuff, like 1 or 2 days?

fits my needs has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Feb 24, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

embarrassment hasn't set in yet / opinion polls out of date.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Reminder to those who want to see action in this war: nothing is stopping you from flying to a neighboring country and crossing borders. It is that easy. Fight for biden
no more malarkey

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

nah russia's an old-school autocratic power at this point. they're much closer to imperial than nazi germany. i do agree, though, that overemphasising the fascist elements on the ukrainian side is a mistake, but one cannot really ignore them because they are a genuine force in ukrainian security policy

nationalistic elements are a genuine force in Russia's policy too. They may be more oligarchic and less outwardly fascist, but the persecution of sexual and political minorities paints a clear fascistic picture.

I think the 'nazi ukraine' thing being parrotted is in Russia's interest and it having a big element of truth is just cherry on top

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
heh heh heh, you mean THE Ukraine REGION of Russia??

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

dex_sda posted:

nationalistic elements are a genuine force in Russia's policy too. They may be more oligarchic and less outwardly fascist, but the persecution of sexual and political minorities paints a clear fascistic picture.

I think the 'nazi ukraine' thing being parrotted is in Russia's interest and it having a big element of truth is just cherry on top

hell, they could even believe it themselves

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

Asproigerosis posted:

Real talk if I were us president right now I'd send trump to moscow right now.

donald the dove will save us all

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

heh heh heh, you mean THE Ukraine REGION of Russia??

Yes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1496823205620768768?s=20&t=QP6Tc6EQJHQAUJ8qyuBLOA

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a clueless nerd that played arma once I'd expect to see NATO slamming all their assets to the eastern borders of NATO states to at least let putin know you're prepared to do more than kayfabe sanctions.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/noraneus/status/1496822690342187016?s=20&t=QP6Tc6EQJHQAUJ8qyuBLOA

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Stupid Boxes posted:

donald the dove will save us all

https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/1496802207160848384

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
well this is all loving horrible

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well I woke up to 700 new posts that I won't read so I can only assume the brave Ukrainian military was capable of holding off the slavering Russian hordes until Joe Biden personally flew in on an F-35 and chased them away with bolts of lightning and laser beams.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

hell, they could even believe it themselves

It's possible

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some Guy TT posted:

taking a moment to appreciate that putin invading ukraine with such a small number of troops makes perfect sense if you assume that the ukraine military is a clown show that cant even be bothered to fight back consistently weird how none of the news stories hyping the invasion over the last month thought to mention this

Same with the mud and the Dnieper not being frozen solid or thawed, and the airborne and amphibious attacks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

dex_sda posted:

When fascist paramilitaries do a coup in the Kremlin because they think Putin isn't sufficiently nationalist enough, then maybe I'll grant there's a parallel.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

dex_sda posted:

imperial germany (or, well, imperial russia) was also not a great place to be gay. conservative militaristic powers are perfectly happy to stamp on whatever minorities they find convenient at any given time.

there's some important fascist traits which are not present in russia as far as i can tell, mostly to do with the idea of war and violence as a way to cleanse and strengthen the body politic and the inherently sacred nature of the nation as expressed through the state. fascists don't just like violence as a way of accomplishing things, they like violence for its own sake.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well I woke up to 700 new posts that I won't read so I can only assume the brave Ukrainian military was capable of holding off the slavering Russian hordes until Joe Biden personally flew in on an F-35 and chased them away with bolts of lightning and laser beams.

i dunno they seem to be just kinda driving around

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1496823519325437956?s=20&t=QP6Tc6EQJHQAUJ8qyuBLOA

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I can't believe a nation that's been in complete disarray for a decay crumpled immediately despite us sending a couple containers of assault rifle 15s.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

when the world around you collapses, a systems collapse, you still go to work

it takes awhile for your mind to break and realize things but otherwise you still got poo poo to do like eat

Yeah, when you view war from a news coverage perspective (or a a historic one) you always focus on the times where battles are happening and cities are destroyed but there's always some version of regular life going on in lots of places. Two years ago my grandmother told me that in a way, the Covid lockdown felt like more of a disruption of daily life than World War 2 because even at the height of the war, there still was church on sunday and market on saturday.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Asproigerosis posted:

personally I wouldn't have made ukraine give up its nukes, made sure they were never actually going to be allowed into NATO, and then run a coup on them in 2014 when it looked like their commitment to NATO was about to waiver and install a neonazi regime thinking it'd work just fine as a bulwark against russian aggression. Active military intervention is pretty stupid at this point, but my gut feeling is you gotta do something better than halfassed sanctions.

Real talk if I were us president right now I'd send trump to moscow right now.

stupid

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

about a week ago

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

if they’re still talking about sanctions when bimbos are dropping near kyiv, natos not gonna do anything right?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

hmm, the fact that they're still able to fire from Russian soil at least suggests that there's still some Ukrainian resistance near the border

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

strange flex from my autocorrect but I dig it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is Hunter Biden still loving hookers in the Ukraine?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, America. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1496825996414181376?s=20&t=qMr8i4n79jKBvkG7u9ox4g

grandma with a gun meet grandma with a cross

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did Kiev fall while I was sleeping

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

a primate posted:

if they’re still talking about sanctions when bimbos are dropping near kyiv, natos not gonna do anything right?

Of course they're not, and they've been very clear about that. Nobody's starting WW3 over Ukraine. The whole point of dangling NATO membership out in front of them while never actually providing it was to guarantee we never had to actually defend them because we knew Russian invasion was too plausible to discount.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Asproigerosis posted:

As a clueless nerd that played arma once I'd expect to see NATO slamming all their assets to the eastern borders of NATO states to at least let putin know you're prepared to do more than kayfabe sanctions.
why would nato intervene in ukraine, a county that isn’t in nato?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

TenementFunster posted:

why would nato intervene in ukraine, a county that isn’t in nato?

to boost the economy, duh

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
how’s the azov babushka battalion doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I think it's more to ensure they don't uhhh... Go any further.