Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rexxed posted:

... It's also (of course) gotten a bit more sinister lately because since they're in charge of the equipment they can do whatever they want. Comcast for example, uses the comcast provided router in your house as a Wifi hotspot for any comcast customer to log into so they can use it as a selling point to have comcast service and also use it as another way to artificially boost the coverage map of their cellular network since they now do that, too.

Optimum pulls this same exact poo poo as I can see 'optimum wifi' right this second and I know I'm not near a designated public wifi area, and its signal strength is exactly the same as what I see from my neighbors. I get the feeling they're hot to replace my router because they know I'm the only customer that's not serving up a network for them.

quote:

The issue of course is that they provide the xfinitywifi network without your permission. It's separate from your LAN but it's still using the same coax to get back to their servers. Also a lot of their routers are combo modem/router units that are garbage.

I know they're garbage because some friends of mine got the router they had before replaced with an Altice router.

The router Optimum gave them before reached the all of the basement, and the first floor; after the switch they no longer had WiFi available past the room the Altice was placed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

My ISP came to my house and replaced my fiber modem, while he was at it he also threw away my own network router and replaced it with their own. It's faster and better he said (to my SO, I was at work). So when I come home I see the new router and sure enough have ludicrous fast internet by my standards now, something like 475mbps down and 100mbps up for 29.90 a month. But it sorta left me with a bad taste that they replaced my own router with their own and then locked me out of it. So I can't put in my own DNS to use a pi-hole server for the local network.

I guess I could just install my own router after theirs and route the home network through my own router anyway. Just bugs me.

The only reasonable explanation is he must have assumed it was company (ISP) property, discarding anything of yours is completely egregious. The only partially acceptable thing would have been disconnecting your stuff and setting up theirs.

See if you can find the invoice or receipt for your own equipment and call them up and tell them that their tech has misplaced it. Odds are you're going to get a lot of shuffling and being put on hold, they'll get back to you etc. But I'd be sure to get something from them, even if you end up using their router in the end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In the past I've just lied and said my work pays for part of my internet and has a list of approved routers/plans so I'd have to get their sign off on any change. Stops the sales pitch in it's tracks.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Rexxed posted:

The issue of course is that they provide the xfinitywifi network without your permission. It's separate from your LAN but it's still using the same coax to get back to their servers.

Cox does this as well, with the added bonus that their TV boxes are wireless, so you NEED their Wi-Fi to watch TV. Luckily, the two Ethernet ports on their modem/AP are live so I just connected my pfSense firewall to their modem and put all my stuff on my three networks, so the ONLY things running on the Cox Wi-Fi are the TV boxes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xfinity still allows you to turn off their xfinitywifi hotspot on their gateways, as far as I know, but you have to be savvy enough to know it's there and be able to log into your account to do it.

I use my own modem and router so it's not even an option for me to turn it on, but I did a quick search and it looks like they still let you toggle that "feature" on and off.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Most isp offer a modem only option but it is not the standard. I got one gig up and down fiber that has one Ethernet port and one fiber port in box and that’s it.

Anyway does anyone have 2.5 gig routers that are supposed to just use cat5e cables to do it? Do they work?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Elephanthead posted:

Most isp offer a modem only option but it is not the standard. I got one gig up and down fiber that has one Ethernet port and one fiber port in box and that’s it.

Anyway does anyone have 2.5 gig routers that are supposed to just use cat5e cables to do it? Do they work?

Cat5e can do 2.5. Hell it can do 10gig up to like 45 meters, which is more than enough for most residential runs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rexxed posted:

Maybe it's different in Finland, but here in the US they wouldn't take your property without someone getting upset. They tend to limit themselves to things with their own branding on it and they usually have the modem/router manufacturers give them their own branded units that say the ISP name on them (we're dealing with megacorps here so they'll say Verizon or Comcast). Also, most ISPs let you log into the router they provide so you can have some control on it for things like changing the wifi details, DNS, DHCP, even the LAN network addressing if you want. The main reason to own your own here is the monthly fee for renting the ISP's equipment ends up being higher than purchasing your own after a year or so.

Well they didn't take it with them, just left the old one there in a heap. They do not charge for this other than the usual monthly fee. I asked about getting access so I could change my own settings but they said they have locked it because "they configure iptv on these" whatever they mean by that, I don't even watch iptv anyway. I did ask if there was an issue with me just removing it then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Icept posted:

The only reasonable explanation is he must have assumed it was company (ISP) property, discarding anything of yours is completely egregious. The only partially acceptable thing would have been disconnecting your stuff and setting up theirs.

Yes my bad, this is what happened. I'm not angry they took my stuff since they didn't, I'm just really annoyed that I don't have control over my own home network and they essentially made it their model to lock customers out of their networks. Fine for old grandmas and the like I guess.

update: They said I can just replace with my own router if I don't like it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 20, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a cool app that lets you walk around your house and sample WiFi quality visually?

I mean let me rephrase that question. I know there are a ton of apps that do this, but what is the hotness for iOS (or I can scare up an Android device from my junk drawer if necessary)? If I check each respective app store I'm going to see like 10001 shovelware apps that claim this, no doubt.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Is there a cool app that lets you walk around your house and sample WiFi quality visually?

I mean let me rephrase that question. I know there are a ton of apps that do this, but what is the hotness for iOS (or I can scare up an Android device from my junk drawer if necessary)? If I check each respective app store I'm going to see like 10001 shovelware apps that claim this, no doubt.

I dunno if they have an iOS equivalent, but the WifiMan app from Ubiquity has an AR mode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh huh I thought the wifiman was just a speedtest thing. I'll have to see what else that thing is packing. I think I already have that installed on my iOS devices.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

According to a Ubiquiti blog post, WiFiman's signal mapping requires either a UDM or UDM Pro running the latest UniFi Network application, or the new (still in Early Access) Dream Router.

On top of that, there's a WiFiman setting you have to throw in the Network app for it to work.

https://youtu.be/Z9JvUUauJCM

Link to a Ubi video that shows how it's supposed to work. (You gotta walk around like you're playing Qix or Snake Byte, evidently)

It's also implied in the video you also need Ubiquiti APs.

There's an app called WiFi SweetSpots that lets you record WiFi speeds over time while assigning these averages to spot names from a list you can edit.

It's not AR, costs $2 to remove lovely ads, and is so clunkily written it's only barely more useful than using another app to manually measure signal strength and jotting it down on a notepad.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
You can do it all from the app but it won't remember any of your stuff. It's useful for walking around and checking things though in my experience. I don't have a UDM/Pro myself and it works fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great info thanks. I meet all the requirements in either case so I’ll have to give this a shot when I get home. Merci!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have an ER-X and the mapping button doesn't appear for me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm looking for a home mesh network system that supports 802.11ax, tri-band (radio) for dedicated wifi backhaul, and no subscription required for admin functions (e.g. parental controls or malware protection). the latter condition is a hit against amazon eero and netgear devices. even the tp-link X90 has some of its parental control features gated behind a subscription, but apparently not all? what is this brave new world in networking where they're all trying to make people do subscription bullshit?

Should I relax my conditions to consider dual-band instead of tri-band? dual-band systems are noticeably cheaper but I'm wondering if the lack of a backhaul channel will make stuff like facetime or other video streaming over the mesh satellite less robust.

use case is a large home / family / streaming / work-from-home, with 1 wired PC (and multiple laptops, ipad, roku, phones, etc.). ethernet backhaul not available for the satellite devices. seeking to replace an aging netgear router whose signal can't cover the entire house and I want to jump to mesh instead of doing a wifi extender. I have absolutely no interest in paying any kind of service subscription, but I do want decent admin abilities.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Martytoof posted:

Wifi Analyzer for Android is pretty nice. Hasn't been updated for a while but it still works. However, it needs location access enabled, and it no longer prompts you to do it.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

pmchem posted:

I'm looking for a home mesh network system that supports 802.11ax, tri-band (radio) for dedicated wifi backhaul, and no subscription required for admin functions (e.g. parental controls or malware protection). the latter condition is a hit against amazon eero and netgear devices. even the tp-link X90 has some of its parental control features gated behind a subscription, but apparently not all? what is this brave new world in networking where they're all trying to make people do subscription bullshit?

Should I relax my conditions to consider dual-band instead of tri-band? dual-band systems are noticeably cheaper but I'm wondering if the lack of a backhaul channel will make stuff like facetime or other video streaming over the mesh satellite less robust.

use case is a large home / family / streaming / work-from-home, with 1 wired PC (and multiple laptops, ipad, roku, phones, etc.). ethernet backhaul not available for the satellite devices. seeking to replace an aging netgear router whose signal can't cover the entire house and I want to jump to mesh instead of doing a wifi extender. I have absolutely no interest in paying any kind of service subscription, but I do want decent admin abilities.
Haven't used it and it's not been widely talked about ITT, but Asus ZenWifi XT8 has parental controls without a subscription service, is triband and has dedicated wifi backhaul. Seems to fit your criteria.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Marinmo posted:

Haven't used it and it's not been widely talked about ITT, but Asus ZenWifi XT8 has parental controls without a subscription service, is triband and has dedicated wifi backhaul. Seems to fit your criteria.

that really does check all the boxes. I might do it. lots of crappy reviews for it @ best buy's site, though. granted, bad reviews are common on retail sites, but more than usual for the XT8. same at amazon. but then again, the orbi has a ton of complaints, too. I think 10% of people who buy networking gear just have a bad time regardless of what they buy.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

According to a Ubiquiti blog post, WiFiman's signal mapping requires either a UDM or UDM Pro running the latest UniFi Network application, or the new (still in Early Access) Dream Router.

The fact that this doesn't work with a USG Pro is a kick in the nuts to folks who bought into their ecosystem in the intervening YEARS it took for them to actually come out with the dream machine.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pmchem posted:

I have the X90 and online time limits, a "family pause", and scheduled offline time beyond a everyday "bedtime" setting (which is set per profile) are gated behind the subscription. So no "weekdays 8:00pm cutoff, weekends until 9pm" without paying up.

Which is some bullshit but not surprising.

I'm not entirely sure how useful online time limits are as any modern device will be "online" as far as the router can tell the entire time it is turned on and associated, even if it isn't in active use. I'm also not sure how good the content filtering is, but my brief messing with it my impression is that it gets the main sites but lets some others slip by.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

pmchem posted:

that really does check all the boxes. I might do it. lots of crappy reviews for it @ best buy's site, though. granted, bad reviews are common on retail sites, but more than usual for the XT8. same at amazon. but then again, the orbi has a ton of complaints, too. I think 10% of people who buy networking gear just have a bad time regardless of what they buy.

It also doesn't help that Amazon shows "most useful reviews" and somebody who writes an essay on all their issues are going to get more upvotes than somebody who says "works great!".

With that said, it does look like the XT-8 suffers from a string of bad firmwares causing wireless devices to randomly drop and from what I can determine, the issue still isn't fixed despite Asus being really good about firmware updates compared to most consumer router manufacturers. You can try rolling back to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42095, but I don't believe it's reasonable to ask somebody to plan to roll back firmware to a stable release on equipment they haven't even purchased yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LongSack posted:

Haven’t had much luck finding vertical brush panels.

I run these things in my work racks. Note, if you don't have an extra wide rack, clearance becomes an issue with long boxes.

https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-6-ft-1-8-m-vertical-cable-manager-double-finger-duct-cover-toolless-mounting~srcableductvrt

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Is there a decent router that has usage stats? Both on the WAN and a device level. For example I'd love to know how much data my work computer, xbox, phone, etc. are consuming. Ideally both historical and live.

Eero has something kind of like this but they're charging a subscription fee for it, which I find very silly for something that doesn't need to leave the router.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Unifi Security Gateway I have does it, and that's super low-end (only capable of doing 1/1Gbps because of the ASIC included next to the CN5020, which is really just a 500MHz MIPS64 SoC with 512MB RAM and 4GB storage), so I imagine there's lots of gear that does it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Moey posted:

I run these things in my work racks. Note, if you don't have an extra wide rack, clearance becomes an issue with long boxes.

https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-6-ft-1-8-m-vertical-cable-manager-double-finger-duct-cover-toolless-mounting~srcableductvrt

Thanks. My rack is a single 12U mounted to a backboard in the closet in my office, so clearance isn’t an issue. I ended up just getting some D-rings that mount to the rack and sit outside the verticals. Works fine.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hoping the thread might be able to point me in the right direction.
I've recently upgraded to fibre internet (1 Gig), but the switch I use in my office seems to be gating the speed to 80-100 Mbps. I'm currently using a D-Link 1005G switch, which I assumed could provide the 1 Gig speed output. I have 2 separate PC's running off this switch, so that might be a factor as to why I'm not getting the full speed. I get the proper speed on my PC if I bypass the switch, but I need 2 connections in this office, so that won't work. The cables I'm using are Cat5e as well. My plan is to upgrade to a newer switch, but wanted to check here first in case there's something obvious I'm missing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Your current switch should handle gigabit speeds fine. Try a different ethernet cable to the switch/your computers. Gigabit uses more of the wires on the connectors than 100mbit ethernet does, so a badly terminated/loose wire can drop the whole connection down in speed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kragger99 posted:

Hoping the thread might be able to point me in the right direction.
I've recently upgraded to fibre internet (1 Gig), but the switch I use in my office seems to be gating the speed to 80-100 Mbps. I'm currently using a D-Link 1005G switch, which I assumed could provide the 1 Gig speed output. I have 2 separate PC's running off this switch, so that might be a factor as to why I'm not getting the full speed. I get the proper speed on my PC if I bypass the switch, but I need 2 connections in this office, so that won't work. The cables I'm using are Cat5e as well. My plan is to upgrade to a newer switch, but wanted to check here first in case there's something obvious I'm missing.

D-Link claims that switch can switch 10Gb internally so it shouldn't be causing any throttling. That doesn't mean it's not the issue, though. Make sure whatever you're using to test your speeds is measuring bits and not bytes, and that all of the cables are good. If nothing seems weird I'd just get a 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch and see if that fixes it.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I made the mistake of updating the unifi software & the firmware on my 3 year old Unifi AP-AC-LR and it went from being perfectly stable to completely unable to maintain a connection. Any amount of throughput from any client kills the connection to my Windows 10 laptop. 5G seems worse than 2.4G, but they are both showing the problem. This is not what I was expecting from my Wednesday morning.

Learn from my mistake: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2022

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Maybe it added a setting that should be en/disabled?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
FYI there's a pfsense RCE out:

https://www.shielder.it/advisories/pfsense-remote-command-execution/

Technically requires an authed user but there's some evidence it can be done with cross site scripting.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

FYI there's a pfsense RCE out:

https://www.shielder.it/advisories/pfsense-remote-command-execution/

Technically requires an authed user but there's some evidence it can be done with cross site scripting.

This kind of crap is why I always make sure my router & modem interfaces cannot be reached from regular desktops, only either:
a) From a dedicated management VLAN if you are willing to go through the trouble setting that up.
b) via a ssh tunnel that has to be manually initiated when you want to do something.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I have some questions about about the best routers for QoS bandwidth management for data capped plans. My partner's 92-year-old grandmother is currently living with my partner's mother and spends most of her time watching old television shows, now mostly streaming off the IMDB TV app. Unfortunately, they have fast internet but a low 1TB data cap and the firesticks' quality setting seems to do gently caress all for bandwidth usage (IMDB TV, Prime, or Netflix). They don't need the extra bandwidth because the TVs are all 1080p and the shows are old anyway, but they've had to upgrade to the super-expensive unlimited plan just to get rid of the data cap.

Is there a good router I could get for them that has effective per-device or per-app download bandwidth limiting? I have a C9 at home and when I tried out the QoS the overall bandwidth limit worked but the per-device priority settings only seem to apply when there's multiple devices competing for bandwidth. They have a cheap Linksys with no QoS so I've been considering picking up a used C9 and daisy chaining it so they could connect just the Grandmother's TV (or anything they want limited) to it while leaving other devices unlimited on the main network. It does seem like there has to be a better, less-hacky way to do it, though.

I'm also considering picking up a used Shield and ripping some DVD sets to a hard drive, but that's a lot of work I don't really have time for right now. DVDs are out because my partner's Grandmother can't handle DVD swapping any more (or even most basic TV controls).

E: It sounds like it not possible to bandwidth limit from a cascaded router, so I guess that's out too.

EE: I'm also just assuming that router-side bandwidth limiting would actually reduce streaming data usage through the ISP, but I guess that depends on the streaming service behavior? If the streaming servers just resend dropped packets at the same rate it might end up *increasing* overall data usage. I'm they have some sort of stream quality negotiation based on available bandwidth - that at least seems to be the case with Amazon and Netflix on Roku.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 24, 2022

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Streaming services should reduce the bitrate of the content for it to stream rather than buffer up. It’s entirely possible to configure a router to limit connection speed through policing and shaping, or give it a bandwidth bucket and cut it off when it uses it up. I’m only familiar with this on MikroTik routers.

Otherwise most other QoS I’ve run into is either actual DSCP/CoS that won’t help you there, or some more generic “this IP goes first” which is probably just bog standard in the background.

Some devices may offer time limiting controls which could be another way about it, if you only allow it to connect between certain hours. But this is trying to solve a people problem with technology and isn’t likely to go over well.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Would something like this https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/poe-injectors/poe-injector-4-port-gigabit-802.3at-af-mode-a work with 2.5GbE too? I can't use switch because some of the stuff is on the WAN side (outdoors 5G box) and some of them are on the LAN side.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Partycat posted:

But this is trying to solve a people problem with technology and isn’t likely to go over well.

I agree with this. Bandwidth limiting a video stream in the best case would just cause the streaming client to step down to a lower quality setting, but it could also cause lots of pauses to buffer. If you have a way to change your default stream quality for the client in settings or whatever, that would be a much better way to do it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kivi posted:

Would something like this https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/poe-injectors/poe-injector-4-port-gigabit-802.3at-af-mode-a work with 2.5GbE too? I can't use switch because some of the stuff is on the WAN side (outdoors 5G box) and some of them are on the LAN side.
The function of 802.3af is to supply 48VDC on pair #2 and #3 or #1 and #4 respectively whereas the bandwidth of a given link is determined by the base frequency, with both 802.3ab and 802.3bz using 100MHz signaling and only varying the bits per hz/symbol rate by switching the line coding.
So I don't immediately see how a PoE injector can interfere with that, but on the other hand only 802.3bt explicitly references 802.3bz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The function of 802.3af is to supply 48VDC on pair #2 and #3 or #1 and #4 respectively whereas the bandwidth of a given link is determined by the base frequency, with both 802.3ab and 802.3bz using 100MHz signaling and only varying the bits per hz/symbol rate by switching the line coding.
So I don't immediately see how a PoE injector can interfere with that, but on the other hand only 802.3bt explicitly references 802.3bz.
Thanks for the detailed post! I guess if it can pass gigabit it’ll do multigig just fine.