Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I'm starting to feel a little bad for Pavarotti. Sage has started wrestling back which is great, and sometimes he just runs over and sorta tackles Pav to start playing

Then Pavarotti inevitably wins the wrestle because Sage has literally never had to since he's been in a shelter or with us since he was born. At which point Sage starts growling and hissing, runs away, then when Pavarotti catches up Sage puts his ears fully back and yowls and hisses up a storm

It's like c'mon buddy, if you pick the fight and lose you don't get to throw a fit! I don't think either of them is getting hurt, he just gets spooked I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As long as Pavarotti backs off then it's fine, and it's a good step to setting boundaries. "If I play too rough and the object of my play stops playing, I don't get to play any more" is the sort of training we as humans have to impose on cats that use claws/teeth on our hands while interacting, and if that's something usually learned with littermates. Hopefully they'll come to an understanding soon.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kw0134 posted:

As long as Pavarotti backs off then it's fine, and it's a good step to setting boundaries. "If I play too rough and the object of my play stops playing, I don't get to play any more" is the sort of training we as humans have to impose on cats that use claws/teeth on our hands while interacting, and if that's something usually learned with littermates. Hopefully they'll come to an understanding soon.

Yeah that makes sense. Sage keeps coming back for more (though it doesn't always turn into a wrestle) so obviously he's not against it. I think they just need to figure out how much rough play is too rough for the other like you're saying

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
That's how our cats play too, they can be sneaky lil shits. I've seen Kimchi hide to pounce on Katya and then when she gets slapped silly she pretends to be a tiny little baby who never did anything wrong. Usually it's Katya who's had enough first, they love to chase each other around the house but when Katya ends up cornered she will hiss at Kimchi indicating play-time is over.

When Kimchi was a kitten and they were testing each other's boundaries it would happen a lot more, we're over a year in now and while they still throw down on the reg they have chilled out on the hissing and growling.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah same in this household. Peridot is usually the one who picks the wrestle and then immediately cries foul and runs away as soon as Pepper fight back. Just cat things I guess!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Really really struggling with my cat who constantly wants food; the auto feeder hasn't worked because she won't put her head in it enough to open the door and she's still wanting wet food most of the time anyway and will walk away from a bowl of hard food when presented to her. It's actively giving me anxiety throughout the day because I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to see if she's walking in the room every time I hear a sound (and sometimes when not) because I know it means she's going to start begging for food and it's going to gently caress up the next hour or two of my day unless I just feed her which keeps her quiet for a while.

I know negative reinforcement doesn't do poo poo for cats but at this point the only option I have when I need to get some work done is keep a spray bottle near me and brandish it in her general direction when she's begging which sends her out of the room for about 5 minutes before she comes back and tries it again. I know the only real options here are to just not give in and hope some day she stops but she's 5-6 now and has pretty much been like this forever and working from home is stressful as hell when every hour or two my cat comes in to start meowing at me and jumping on my desk until I get the water bottle or just feed her.

I am not looking for advice really, just venting. :sigh:

E: oh yeah if I close the door she sits outside and meows at the door and/or body slams into it so hard over and over again I legit thought these lovely apartment doors were going to break the one time.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 23, 2022

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

explosivo posted:

E: oh yeah if I close the door she sits outside and meows at the door and/or body slams into it so hard over and over again I legit thought these lovely apartment doors were going to break the one time.

:catstare: I'd still take that over pissing and pooping everywhere but still, drat. Is it possible to use 3M Command Hooks or something to hang a heavy foam pad or something on the door so it dampens the impacts and just stonewall her until she learns the tactic doesn't work? Might even work fast when she notices the body slams don't make enough noise.

Kitten report: Coming up on the two month area after adoption. Kitten is growing fast. Still no hostility with the resident adult cat but there is some really strange passive aggressive poo poo going on between them. They'll usually play some tag and brawl at least once a day - The brawling is funny because the kitten eventually realizes he's outclassed physically and will start trying to attack the adult's feet. It's like the battle of Hoth but dumber and way, way cuter.

The weird passive aggressive stuff are the two items:

We got the kitten a robot toy that spins around a little arm under a skirting. He broke the hell out of it, dragged the whole thing around the room, ripped off the arm enough times it won't reattach, and now carries the detached arm around the house like a war trophy. He's now started leaving this trophy on the adult cat's food bowl which upsets the adult until a human removes it.
The adult cat will sometimes want to kitty pile but will try to sit on the kitten. He also did this to his previous cat mate who was a hulking tabby who put up with it so maybe he's just used to it?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kitten thinks the fuzzy toy is prey and is gifting it to the adult. Adult is not amused because it's not food. Kitten is an idiot.

Adult is used to doing things a certain way and if cat piles are accomplished by body slamming on the moving fur blob no matter the size then in the adult's mind that's the kitten's problem. The adult is an idiot.

In short, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I loving love cats. :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D34THROW posted:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

D34THROW posted:

:yeah:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BTW best kitten toy ever is this type of ball in a captive hoop. The center scratch pad is only used on to sit while batting the ball around. My teenage cats still play with it.

I have no idea which is the original brand; this links to one example. https://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Colors-vary/dp/B000IYSAIW

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Arsenic Lupin posted:

BTW best kitten toy ever is this type of ball in a captive hoop. The center scratch pad is only used on to sit while batting the ball around. My teenage cats still play with it.

I have no idea which is the original brand; this links to one example. https://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Colors-vary/dp/B000IYSAIW

Seconding this. It's a great toy. Unfortunately one of mine always pries the ball out of the track and swats it under the couch.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man I got a litter robot, and the design is great and it works really well, and the cats used it initially. But ever since plugging it in and they've seen it move... nope. No loving chance they'll go in it again. So $600 paperweight now.

The delay doesn't really matter because they can hear it anywhere in the house and when it runs they come running to check it out and watch it and get jumpy as hell. Anybody else get past something like this?

I can't decide between:
Unplug it again and see if they ever start pooping in it?
Put a regular litter box next to it and keep running/cycling it occasionally so they hopefully get used to going in the vicinity of a thing that can make noise? (Not while they're in there, obviously)
Block off access to other litter boxes during the afternoon (when they often go) to try to force it? Obviously wouldn't leave this all evening/night because that would be a recipe for disaster.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thirding this. We got one for my sister because our cat loved hers, and our cat tore open the wrapping paper and the plastic packaging so she could play with that one too. We think she heard the ball move when we put it under the tree.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Man I got a litter robot, and the design is great and it works really well, and the cats used it initially. But ever since plugging it in and they've seen it move... nope. No loving chance they'll go in it again. So $600 paperweight now.

The delay doesn't really matter because they can hear it anywhere in the house and when it runs they come running to check it out and watch it and get jumpy as hell. Anybody else get past something like this?

I can't decide between:
Unplug it again and see if they ever start pooping in it?
Put a regular litter box next to it and keep running/cycling it occasionally so they hopefully get used to going in the vicinity of a thing that can make noise? (Not while they're in there, obviously)
Block off access to other litter boxes during the afternoon (when they often go) to try to force it? Obviously wouldn't leave this all evening/night because that would be a recipe for disaster.

Mine is basically cat TV, both cats come running to watch it move

Maybe try unplugging it and see if they'll use it when it hasn't run for awhile? You could just run it manually for a few days with a closed door blocking them off so they only hear the noise at first and see if they get used to it?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Was about to suggest manually running it when they're out of earshot if it's possible. I'd move the old litter box closer to the LR too, and let it get a little funky while you manually run the LR. Do not make them cold turkey until they're seen going into the LR again, else you find turds in your plants.

This may be problematic if they're older cats, they're set in their ways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill's two middle nails on her back feet seem to slightly stick out even when she's resting. We don't cut her nails, she doesn't claw at anything or scratch us with them. Should we be cutting these nails for her comfort? She's not limping or anything like that and doesn't really seem to care, but she's also young (8 months or so).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We got this for my sister's cat aggie and she played with it and then innovated and eventually developed her own better version where she picks up a ball and drops it into a box and then bounces the ball around inside the box.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Quill's two middle nails on her back feet seem to slightly stick out even when she's resting. We don't cut her nails, she doesn't claw at anything or scratch us with them. Should we be cutting these nails for her comfort? She's not limping or anything like that and doesn't really seem to care, but she's also young (8 months or so).

It might be a good idea to trim her claws while she's young just so that she gets used to it. I don't know if it's uncomfortable for the cat to have long fingernails, but I can't really think of a drawback to keeping them short (cat compliance permitting).

There's stuff like what if the cat's on your lap and startles and springs off you, digging in her claws for traction? Or a new animal arrives and she spooks and takes a swipe? Or she gets a really itchy ear and claws her own ear open like an idiot? (James, I'm looking at you...). Or if you have to take her somewhere and she freaks out and decides she really doesn't want to be there and the knives come out? Or you've got to pick her up but you mess up your grip slightly and she scrabbles for purchase with her back feet on your chest? (Wolfgang).

Basically it's still not a bad idea just for the outside chance of an accident of some kind.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

While I'll second the idea of nail cutting in general, I'll note that hind foot claws stick out on a lot of cats to no apparent discomfort so if you decline to cut her nails it won't be a problem any more than it currently is.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Added reason to clip nails: especially as they get older they can start to get them stuck in things like blankets when they've been kneading but then decide to get up, so clipping can help avoid that. And if you start doing it while they're young they will let you do it when they're old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Senior cats can stop doing their nails entirely if they get too stiff, and you want to trim them to help keep them from getting "thick." The old layers never flake off and new ones keep growing so they can get relatively large.

I don't know if having thick nails hurts them, cats are real good about not showing discomfort but you really want to be careful that they don't get ingrown because they keep curling and eventually impale their toebeans.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Can anyone share their experience with/tips for dealing with a cat with FLUTD?

About a month back, I posted about my 10 month old kitten who was straining to pee and only going in small drips. We took her to the urgent care vet, and though they weren't able to draw urine, they suspected an infection and prescribed antibiotics. Through the course of the antibiotics she seemed to get better, but then got a lot worse - crying and peeing outside her litter box. We took her back, and they were able to draw urine this time, and did an ultrasound. They found that her bladder was inflamed and had blood clots, but the urine culture came back with no bacteria, so it's not an infection. The urgent care vet said that she seems like a sensitive cat and it's probably stress, and that we should increase her wet food and see about getting her a prescription diet. We got a short-term supply of prescription food from them, and made an appointment with her normal vet to get checked out and potentially get a longer term prescription on the 9th.

In the meantime, I've been feeding her the prescription wet food as much as I can (she nibbles, and I can't leave it out or her brother will eat it). For about a week, she was doing much better - still having smaller pee spots than her brother, but not going in and out of the litter box all the time or straining. I thought her problem might have been her diet, and that the wet food was helping. Today...she's in and out of the litter box, "mrring" when she digs in there, and squatting in a second and much less preferred litter box without much result - all similar to her symptoms before. To be clear, she is passing a normal amount of urine, she just seems to have some irritation while doing it.

The thing is, if it's stress then I have no idea what's setting her off. She lives with me, my fiancee, and our other cat (her brother, adopted together) in an apartment on the second floor. She's a healthy weight, and gets regular play sessions and activity. I work from home, so she has human company 95% of the time, and her brother's company if I need to go out. She and her brother get along well - they aren't super close or cuddly, but they play together and hang out near each other, and I've never seen them fight for real. She doesn't go outside, and I've never seen outside cats come near our windows or doors. The apartment faces away from the street, and is pretty calm, though I have noticed her becoming more reactive to outside noises - delivery people especially seem to be her nemeses, since they have the audacity to walk up our stairs and drop things. She'll growl when she hears them and run into the bedroom.

If her bladder problems are coming from stress, would it be an immediate reaction, or does the trigger happen and then the symptoms show up a day+ later? Are those cat hormone diffusers scams, or do they really help with cat stress? What are some tips for desensitizing cats to everything not always being exactly the same in their environments? I'll be asking some of these questions to the vet at her next appointment, but I'd appreciate perspectives from anyone else who's dealt with similar issues as well. Either way, thank you for reading this essay about my cat's piss.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
True kitty love is wiping your old confused man cat's rear end because he's too chonky and old to get back there any more.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Katya has been eating way too fast when I first feed them in the morning. I am thinking about getting a timed feeder since I think he needs smaller amounts throughout the day and I'd like get a microchip feeder for both of the cats since he eats out of all the bowls.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
This is Benedict Stickyfoot Pissbaby Dudicle, aka Benny. He hates the sound of saxophones and loves to sit on my Switch so I can’t play Pokémon. I had to get him his own dice bag so he would stop putting his paws in mine and grabbing out my d10s. I have never loved anything or anyone in my whole life as much as I love this dumb little motherfucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I just got a cat today from the shelter, 9mo black male cat.

I followed the advice on the front page. As soon as I put the Cat Attract litter in the box the cat went so that was easily resolved. I got a laser, scratch box, and cat plant. Things seem to be going well!

The only thing that concerns me is that the cat occasionally meows like it's looking for somebody. I don't know if maybe I should get another so it's not lonely, especially given that it's technically still a kitten. I work from home most days so it won't be by itself too much.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Yes, another cat is probably a good idea. The shelter should be able to tell you if this one has issues that mean he needs to be an only cat, and may be able to recommend a littermate or other cat he has already met.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Getting two cats is a nice idea in itself, but just so you know "the cat occasionally meows like it's looking for somebody" falls squarely within normal cat operating parameters.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

Getting two cats is a nice idea in itself, but just so you know "the cat occasionally meows like it's looking for somebody" falls squarely within normal cat operating parameters.

Yeah, kittens in particular will meow out of insecurity, looking for their mothers. He just needs some pets and snuggles.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My small tom will meow plaintively as if he's the last living creature on this Earth, even as he walks past me, the other two cats, his full food bowl, and the various cat trees/bed he sleeps upon. Diagnosis: cat.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Gorgar posted:

Yes, another cat is probably a good idea. The shelter should be able to tell you if this one has issues that mean he needs to be an only cat, and may be able to recommend a littermate or other cat he has already met.

Unfortunately the people at the shelter didn't know if the cat would get along with others, but this is a pretty chill cat.

There was another older cat there that I was thinking about adopting too but it had FIV. I mean if I get an FIV shot for my cat would it work? It looks like it may not even be available in the US.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Read up on pets and the use of lasers. I'm not campaigning against them, they're probably fine, but you should go into it understanding the theories behind what it's doing for their behavior. I only use them when there's another toy in the play session they can actually catch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kw0134 posted:

My small tom will meow plaintively as if he's the last living creature on this Earth, even as he walks past me, the other two cats, his full food bowl, and the various cat trees/bed he sleeps upon. Diagnosis: cat.

Quill will meow at a specific spot on my ceiling as if she's just heard the saddest poo poo in the world and then notice me watching and will go into cat play attack mode with the ears to the side and everything.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Peridot will come into the room and cry plaintively as she walks through but all she's doing is telling everyone she's about to drink some water from her water bowl, she doesn't actually want attention.

Cats!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Morpheus the Dreamlord goes into our laundry room and yowls for about 10 minutes every day. Pretty sure he just loves the acoustics. He also likes to scream into corners.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya makes pretty much no sound but Kimchi loves to yowl to announce she's been in the litterbox, or when she needs attention NOW, or if you gave her a treat and now it's gone and she needs you to know it's the saddest thing in the world. Very dramatic, very cat.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly has several meows that mean she wants attention for various reasons.

I've killed something

You opened a can in the kitchen and I deserve food

You've been working too long and I require pets.

I woke up and you're gone I will sing a sad song until I find you.

Etc.

Start Meowing back and learn your cat's language it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Actually does anyone elses cat make the most hosed up borderline choking sounds when they get maximally excited? Quill makes a sound like some kind of ??? I can't even describe it. It happens when she is sprinting around in full zoomies leaping onto and off things, it's like those people that can't control the tone of their voice when they get excited. 100% of the time it's accompanied by the crazy wide eyed death stare.