Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Imo I think he used to be like that but then at some point in the pandemic, like many of our elderly, he just went off the loving deep end

Yeah honestly this is the impression this gives-- it appears at least like this is Putin falling for his own hype after too many decades with no error correction. Anybody goes insane if nobody cam ever tell them they're wrong. Not a function of intelligence just limited human brains.

That said it might all work out for him, too early to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Did they say if it was Gostomel? That one seems to have been captured hours ago. If it's Boryspil that's something else entirely

It was Gostomoel.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CSM posted:

People should really refrain from putting definitive comments like "Ukraine is getting overrun" or "Russians are getting bloodied" under some blurry Twitter vids that we don't even know are really from Ukraine or from today.

There's very little you can learn from the state of the war in Ukraine from a couple of video's. It also has been less than 24 hours. This might turn out to be an Iraqi style collapse, or it might be the beginning of a huge quagmire for Russia, but it's way to early. Statements towards either side at the moment are just kind of tiring at this point.

Seconding this. poo poo is tense but try to stop falling for sensationalism.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah honestly this is the impression this gives-- it appears at least like this is Putin falling for his own hype after too many decades with no error correction. Anybody goes insane if nobody cam ever tell them they're wrong. Not a function of intelligence just limited human brains.

It helps when you've got a little polonium tea to fix things if they go sideways...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randarkman posted:

It was Gostomoel.

Ah right, obviously it's bad, but at least Kyiv isn't occupied from both sides - for those wondering, Gostomel is North-West of the city centre, Boryspil is South-East.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Did they say if it was Gostomel? That one seems to have been captured hours ago. If it's Boryspil that's something else entirely

It has to be Hostomel, we have no accounts of Boryspil being as much as under a ground siege, what is there to say about Russian control.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mightygerm posted:

CNN now showing live video of Russian troops occupying an airport near Kyiv.

It's just loving surreal to watch, having trained so much for a fight like this and being able to imagine so clearly how loving awful everything going on right now really is.

It's the sort of thing you trained for but never believe would ever actually happen again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It has to be Hostomel, we have no accounts of Boryspil being as much as under a ground siege, what is there to say about Russian control.

I had seen people in Boryspil tweeting about bombs going off nearby and knew Gostomel was already occupied so CNN showing footage of it "being occupied" made me worry that something dramatic had happened.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

All this definitive theory crafting feels like therapy to me. Which I totally get.

I’m an expert in nothing and my opinion doesn’t matter but it’ll take months or years to really see what shakes out. If NATO truly strengthens, if China really backs down, etc.

Maybe in the coming weeks NATO *doesnt* manage to do enough and people question it’s effectiveness? Or create new intra NATO divisions etc. Maybe “China backing away” is just a temporary PR move to let things heat up and then cool down before resuming business as usual etc. maybe you’re right and Russia is cutting off its nose to spite its face and this is the beginning of a grave new chapter. maybe no one has the energy or resources for this and it fizzles out in a month and goes right back to where we were 5 months ago etc. maybe Putin gets shot in the head by a rogue security detail etc

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496849053824471041

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I had seen people in Boryspil tweeting about bombs going off nearby and knew Gostomel was already occupied so CNN showing footage of it "being occupied" made me worry that something dramatic had happened.

From what I've seen, Boryspil is confirmed to have taken airstrikes of nondescript flavour (likely long-range bomber fire). I've also seen some talk of VDV forces sighted somewhere near it, but the veracity of that was not immediately apparent.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Mokotow posted:

There has been sone staggeringly stupid decisions taken today by Russians, including a daytime chopper raid over Kyiv.

They’ve had surprisingly little gains, the biggest being 100km into an abandoned steppe down south.

They’ve lost a lot of air units and their Karkiv push is in shambles.

I’m not calling this a victory by any stretch, but we’re midway through day one and the results so far for Russia are uninspiring.

Where do you get all this info? I am F5-ing and all I see in truth are like 10-20 unique videos and people making unsourced statements.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CSM posted:

People should really refrain from putting definitive comments like "Ukraine is getting overrun" or "Russians are getting bloodied" under some blurry Twitter vids that we don't even know are really from Ukraine or from today.

There's very little you can learn from the state of the war in Ukraine from a couple of video's. It also has been less than 24 hours. This might turn out to be an Iraqi style collapse, or it might be the beginning of a huge quagmire for Russia, but it's way to early. Statements towards either side at the moment are just kind of tiring at this point.

Not that I disagree with the overall thrust of your post, but it's kinda funny that you're presenting these as opposing outcomes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't think a helicopter surviving a stinger hit is a sign of things going poorly for Russian military forces so far.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memil_K posted:

From a Finnish perspective, I'm not convinced that Finland is going the NATO route. I think the plan for some time has been to see what Sweden does about NATO and then more or less follow suit, and as stated upthread the Swedes seem to be staunchly dedicated to neutrality.

If Europe blows up lofty disinterest won't save you.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Where do you get all this info? I am F5-ing and all I see in truth are like 10-20 unique videos and people making unsourced statements.

Only thing we know for sure is that they got to the ring road around Kharkiv and advanced to Kherson in the south

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Haramstufe Rot posted:

That's what you're seeing yeah. People are allowing themselves to draw sweeping conclusions from a smattering of disconnected info.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

I don't think a helicopter surviving a stinger hit is a sign of things going poorly for Russian military forces so far.

No its not, I was more sharing the footage, not the comment.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'm shocked he was able to get that close to active special ops troops without getting yelled or even shot at.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm shocked he was able to get that close to active special ops troops without getting yelled or even shot at.

He does say he spoke to the commander and was given permission to be there

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

brugroffil posted:

Well, think the video through. The helicopter's in a field, not on an airfield. It didn't make it back.

Also, who released the video? Probably the Russians wouldn't release a video showing one of their helicopters got downed.

So it's a video of a Russian chopper that got downed by a stinger, which is definitely a negative image for the Russian military forces. You could certainly say that it's only one data point in an enormous conflict full of said data points, but it's not a good point for the invaders.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 24, 2022

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

Not that I disagree with the overall thrust of your post, but it's kinda funny that you're presenting these as opposing outcomes.
Perhaps they mean the collapse of the Iraqi govt. after US withdrawal rather than collapse after US Invasion. Or maybe you mean that. It is confusing to communicate online.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Solaris 2.0 posted:

this is genuinely v brave reporting and if CNN does something well, its following an active fast moving war

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No you see it's a very polite invasion.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm sure they are very clearly marked as media or "please do not shoot at us" and Russian troops have everything to gain by letting media in to report that they have taken control of the area. I don't think it is all that insane.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Isn't it pretty dangerous to do these airborne occupations of airfields behind the battle lines? Is controlling these airfields worth the risk? Looks like they lost a few choppers taking them.

Edit: I realize everything in war is dangerous, but this seems particularly reckless.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brugroffil posted:

Landed in a field, abandoned, being gawked at by what I'm assuming are Ukrainians =/= surviving. The crew survived, but that helo is done.

Also, I hope someone lit the loving thing on fire to help the Russians find it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CSM posted:

freaking out is how i process information.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Perhaps they mean the collapse of the Iraqi govt. after US withdrawal rather than collapse after US Invasion.

I read it as how quickly the republican guard collapsed vs a long and sustained war between two nations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's insane to me that Russia let a camera crew document them creating a perimeter at the airport, but I guess they're hoping it'll sink Ukrainian morale to see Russian forces so close to their capital overnight.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With Finland and Sweden, wouldn't at least the Nordic countries and probably a few other Western European countries like France, Germany, and Britain step in even if there wasn't a NATO treaty signed and they were invaded? I'm no expert and maybe all the Western European secretly hate each other, but I feel like there would be open outrage on the streets by the population of some of those countries if Sweden or Finland were invaded and their goverments did nothing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

dr_rat posted:

With Finland and Sweden, wouldn't at least the Nordic countries and probably a few other Western European countries like France, Germany, and Britain step in even if there wasn't a NATO treaty signed and they were invaded? I'm no expert and maybe all the Western European secretly hate each other, but I feel like there would be open outrage on the streets by the population of some of those countries if Sweden or Finland were invaded and their goverments did nothing.

Denmark and Norway's militaries are pretty much entirely useless. Finland and Sweden are the only ones probably worth a drat in that region.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Freezer posted:

Isn't it pretty dangerous to do these airborne occupations of airfields behind the battle lines? Is controlling these airfields worth the risk? Looks like they lost a few choppers taking them.

Edit: I realize everything in war is dangerous, but this seems particularly reckless.

Airfields allow the potential for aircraft to be launched or landed, including transport aircraft, cutting off lines of transport is fairly textbook warfare and doing it behind the lines is done to inhibit the ability of the defending force to retreat, reinforce, or resupply as the main ground attack force proceeds.

Before the landings on D day the allies conducted a massive airborne operation to control bridges and roads to the coast, which would have been utterly obliterated had the landings not gone well, it is risky for the people doing it but if it works it is very useful to the attacking force, and historically armies have not been as concerned for the lives of all their soldiers as we might expect today, as people whose national militaries have generally been involved in long term occupations in low intensity warzones where minimizing casualties on their side has been the primary objective, in order to maintaing political support for the occupation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 24, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Freezer posted:

VDV tend to become martyrs in every war Russia goes to for that reason

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

TheRat posted:

He does say he spoke to the commander and was given permission to be there

Even so, getting that far is pretty wild. "Excuse me, sorry to bother you, I know you're busy but..."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i mean its a loss long term for them. this has basically united Europe against them hard and probably strengthened nato and probably isolated russia. the occupation even if its a smash and grab purge/regime change is gonna be a horror show for them and the world.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

I'd consider both Sweden and Finland so closely integrated among the overlapping communities of EU and NATO members, that they are de facto given the same protection, despite their stated policy of neutrality.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

dr_rat posted:

Oh of course they would. Nato, the USA, UK, everyone would rush to help. After all, that's people they consider human, not just slavs killing slavs like now. Which the USA will frown at but not actually resist.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

quote:

KYIV, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Thursday called on all citizens who were ready to defend the country from Russian forces to come forward, saying Kyiv would issue weapons to everyone who wants them.

Russia launched an all-out invasion of Ukraine by land, air and sea on Thursday, the biggest attack by one state against another in Europe since World War Two and confirmation of the worst fears of the West.

Zelenskiy urged Russians to come out and protest against the war.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraines-zelenskiy-calls-citizens-fight-promises-weapons-2022-02-24/

The article has this picture, supplied by the Ukrainian government, of a line out the door to sign up for the military.

It could be propaganda, but it looks like evidence of strong will to fight on Ukraine's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Yes. They've been de facto NATO members since early in the cold war and the Soviet Union knew about it all along. Sweden cooperated closely (and secretly, for diplomatic reasons) with US while having Soviet spies in high ranks. I guess one problem with trying to tear down the anarchic Russian world view is how often the West confirms it. But then again, there wouldn't be a NATO if the Soviet Union and later Russia weren't assholes.