Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

lol its been a nice run guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

lol its been a nice run guys.

No it hasn't :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
ah gently caress it, here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqPl4QrczTk

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Last one to die, please turn off the light.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

They made us watch Threads at school when we were doing nuclear history stuff.

When the Wind Blows hosed me up more though.

I didn't get scared or frightened of those two, more sad at When the Wind Blows.

However I did get hosed up for a few weeks on this that used to be played once a year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTg3wV3DnGY&t=2209s

Aussie kids cartoon, filmed like a snuff movie, has a SCP song for no reason at the time I linked at.
Just so jarring and out of place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Convex posted:

Everything hosed me up as a child, especially Animals of Farthing Wood and Blake's 7. Christ alive British TV was grim in the 70s and 80s, it's like they mandated every filmed drama had to be set in a rundown brutalist nightmare or a quarry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0bCSLx8JI

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like dumping tweets without context is just unecessarily scary and provocative. China enters Taiwan's airspace every day, their official Twitter confirmed two yesterday. The war thread at least has a "No WW3" rule because it gets so loving tiresome and only spreads misinformation.

superliminal
Jun 2, 2010

the Taiwan Air Defence Zone extends quite far into mainland China

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Everything hosed me up as a child, especially Animals of Farthing Wood and Blake's 7. Christ alive British TV was grim in the 70s and 80s, it's like they mandated every filmed drama had to be set in a rundown brutalist nightmare or a quarry.

Not like there were many other places to film in 70s/80s Britain. In fact I have to assume a lot of the bleakness of 70s and 80s media is just that Tower Hamlets, Camden and Bromley were really amenable to filming so everything was filmed either in the docks, at Thamesmead, or in the Camden Goodsyard.

Here's a fun thing - this scene from The Long Good Friday (1980):

was filmed less than 50 metres from this scene in Batman Begins (2009):

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably they have one of those square radars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Squaredar.

Failed Imagineer posted:

High probability that he's created a little cubbyhole behind the toilet where he waits with a funnel and open mouth

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I saw it when it was first shown, when Reagan was going full Jack D Ripper. I was 8. The next day they tested the London flood alarms - which are the same as the HANDEL air-raid warning system. There's a reason for my almost pathological need to know about nukes and their effects.
Have you done the siren yet?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

YES to the aggressive Westward expansion of Russia

For real, there actually a whole lot of weird Putin stooges on the left ime. That sign she's holding is basically an SWP front in case anyone isn't aware, there's a lot of SWP supporters out there (relative to the left as a whole), and most of them have extremely bad opinions about Russia, Assad &c. See also pretty much every other major Trot & ML group

It's true, the post-Soviet nostalgia + crude anti-imperialism cocktail leads people to some bizarre takes wrt Russia. Supposedly 'communist' hot take haver Sameera Khan has pivoted immediately from 'nothing is going to happen this is western pot stirring' to 'lol Russia invading Ukraine is very cool actually and they should have annexed the whole country years ago', all while posting weird reactionary stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1496664811740053507?s=19

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by someone who doesn't even try to hide her lady boner for bloody Kadyrov of all people, but how she still earnestly believes she's left wing is beyond me. I feel like the word 'tankie' gets thrown around far too often but she's almost indistinguishable from a neocon at this point.

China you can, if you so choose, at least plausibly make the argument is still, somehow, governed according to 'communist' ideology, but Russia? Come the gently caress on now. Only the other day Putin was openly laying into Lenin. How do you even begin to square this circle?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Have you done the siren yet?

I had a play with it, it's loving loud. Gonna wait until dark then wander round to my (somehow even more cold-war obsessed than me) niece's house and see what happens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

a SCP song

Sane Clown Posse

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kingturnip posted:

Just take Putin's money and then do the same to all of his friends and backers.

AIUI this is far easier said than done, none of Putin's money is in his name, but hidden all over the place. Getting to it, and that of his friends and backers, whilst not impacting ordinary Russians is going to be nigh on impossible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Call me callous but I'm not enormously bothered if some comparatively unproblematic millionaires get caught in the economic crossfire, I'm sure they'll survive.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Some would say outsourcing all our supply chains overseas on the verge of a world war to cut costs was a bad idea, same with outsourcing our energy generation. I however, Barry q fuckass, local billionaire and social parasite, think it's an excellent idea as now I make 42 quid per week more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Szmitten posted:

I feel like dumping tweets without context is just unecessarily scary and provocative. China enters Taiwan's airspace every day, their official Twitter confirmed two yesterday. The war thread at least has a "No WW3" rule because it gets so loving tiresome and only spreads misinformation.

doomposting? in this thread? :eyepop:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Only the other day Putin was openly laying into Lenin. How do you even begin to square this circle?
making GBS threads on other Communist leaders is the most typical Communist leader thing to do.

(But Putin isn't one of those.)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Call me callous but I'm not enormously bothered if some comparatively unproblematic millionaires get caught in the economic crossfire, I'm sure they'll survive.

I agree, it's the Russian populace that's going to get hosed though if we take out Sberbank et al.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

John Healey (Shadow Defence) on BBC News now saying Putin "won't stop at Ukraine."

Feels like unhelpful sensationalism, no?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would have hoped he wouldn't have started at it either but apparently he's not feeling very moderate at the moment.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
On the upside, wind is continuing to deliver electricity for us. So far this year renewables have averaged 10.72GW compared to 12.08GW from fossil fuels.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

John Healey (Shadow Defence) on BBC News now saying Putin "won't stop at Ukraine."

Feels like unhelpful sensationalism, no?
The specific history between Putin & Ukraine is a bit of a special case for sure but nonetheless I wouldn't particularly want to be Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia right now

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

making GBS threads on other Communist leaders is the most typical Communist leader thing to do.

(But Putin isn't one of those.)

They are no longer communist, not for quite some time... oh they can spout the words and invoke the symbols but it's nothing but a wall to wall oligarch kleptocracy these days .

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol I've been wondering for AGES why the gently caress Adrian Chiles has what feels like an hourly column in the Guardian, and similarly wondering who on earth gives a solitary poo poo about anything he has to say.

I mean as nepotism goes, this feels fairly flagrant, especially for the Guardian. I wonder how much he gets paid.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

superliminal posted:

the Taiwan Air Defence Zone extends quite far into mainland China

quote:

Although the ADIZ technically covers parts of China's Fujian and Zhejiang provinces in its northwestern part, PLA flights in these areas are not reported as incursions. Maps of the Taiwan ADIZ usually also include the Taiwan strait median line as a reference.

on the other hand, it's true that this is a regular event

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Just Another Lurker posted:

They are no longer communist, not for quite some time... oh they can spout the words and invoke the symbols but it's nothing but a wall to wall oligarch kleptocracy these days .

Russia doesn't even pretend it's communist though, but for some reason a bunch of idiots on the internet insist otherwise

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

ThomasPaine posted:

Russia doesn't even pretend it's communist though, but for some reason a bunch of idiots on the internet insist otherwise

For thirty loving years even. I don't get it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If right wing idiots can pretend they're the soviets I am sure self identified left wing idiots can do the same.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spouting the words and invoking the symbols is more China. Russia is more Holy Rus brainworms.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

On the upside, wind is continuing to deliver electricity for us. So far this year renewables have averaged 10.72GW compared to 12.08GW from fossil fuels.

Technically it took electricity away from me twice last week but yes :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

on the other hand, it's true that this is a regular event

The Taiwan Strait is over a hundred miles wide, so they're still claiming 38 miles of international waters as their "defence zone". Now of course every nation claims all sorts of poo poo beyond the 12-mile limit, but NATO and SEATO aren't going to be getting too arsey about "incursions" like this with the amount of surveillance aircraft they have flying exactly 12.0001 miles from the coast of China, Russia, North Korea and multiple other nations, let alone the whole drones thing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This loving island

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1496764082346672130?t=PTeyva_omBuTLGe7tRsppA&s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only the government could interfere with the cost of things.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Spouting the words and invoking the symbols is more China. Russia is more Holy Rus brainworms.

The tragic thing is you can see how china's leadership started down the route they did even when the CCP was ran by actual ideological communists, and you can also see how that was immediately seized upon by the right of the party, and now the whole country exists in a strange state of statis, amenable to capital and forever ostensibly just round the corner from the great utopian dream. It's an absolute dream situation for an authoritarian bureaucrat aristocracy.

Or who knows, maybe this is all cynical and they're genuinely doing what they say they are, and Xi will press the big button eventually. Maybe.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Taiwan Strait is over a hundred miles wide, so they're still claiming 38 miles of international waters as their "defence zone". Now of course every nation claims all sorts of poo poo beyond the 12-mile limit, but NATO and SEATO aren't going to be getting too arsey about "incursions" like this with the amount of surveillance aircraft they have flying exactly 12.0001 miles from the coast of China, Russia, North Korea and multiple other nations, let alone the whole drones thing.

SEATO hasn't existed for... a while now

but yes, the point is to probe/prove air force responses respectively. Legal right to fly into international airspace on radio silence is still being a jerk, if you will.

in the Taiwan context it also obliges Taiwan to invest heavily in bleeding-edge air tech that would probably all be vaporized in the first twelve hours of a conflict, but that's asymmetric power for you

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1496855020586819590

Love too brace for economic pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Austerity: Big Society British Upper Lip
Brexit: Take Control Blitz Spirit
Covid: Mask is tyranny
Putin: Appease him to keep shares good

It's almost as if everyone should eat poo poo right up until the moment that their waiter suggests it :thunk:

ThomasPaine posted:

The tragic thing is you can see how china's leadership started down the route they did even when the CCP was ran by actual ideological communists, and you can also see how that was immediately seized upon by the right of the party, and now the whole country exists in a strange state of statis, amenable to capital and forever ostensibly just round the corner from the great utopian dream. It's an absolute dream situation for an authoritarian bureaucrat aristocracy.

Or who knows, maybe this is all cynical and they're genuinely doing what they say they are, and Xi will press the big button eventually. Maybe.
The main problem with having to go through the pseudo-bourgeois state capital stage to reach the social stage is when all the pseudo-bourgeois state capitalists want to stay there.