Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1496856062989062145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they don't want ukrainian locals housing soldiers that can cause problems. shutting the power off for days on end can help with that.

also, their goal is likely to try and have this be as bloodless as possible to avoid more international interference, so capturing key infrastructure early so it remains undamaged is important.

in that case im wrong, but then wtf does Russia want with it?

yea jokes aside this is weirdly kinda positive because there's zero reason to give a poo poo about that chunk of land unless your goal is a mostly infrastructure/control based occupation rather than blood running in the streets. Like, I genuinely can't think of a reason to give a single poo poo about Chernobyl other than wanting power control.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i wonder what’s the difference between Iraq and Russia

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496863373782355971?s=20&t=LJ9UY-CQlZ8l91NQBc16iw

Ukrainian army currently hard at work trying to stop a hostile Motor Rifle Regiment from performing unsafe reactor shutdown tests

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Stanley Pain posted:

Easy enough to use Chernobyl as a weapon. Whooopsie we accidentally fired a rocket into something we shouldn't have.

A large portion of fallout from that would flow back through Russia, not to mention gently caress up the black sea

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

maybe they shouldnt have been standing in contested regions while filming the liberation

:allears:

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
If Chernobyl is shut down why would Russia have to really try to take it? Is there a force protecting it? The phrasing make its seem like there's a real battle going down there.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

synapse posted:

Putin has a terminal case of main character syndrome
LOL to be honest Hillary and the dems gave him a giant reputation and influence boost during the last 5 years. Imagine being a third world nation's leader and having to deal with America, a nation who can use their army to crush you and constantly hearing from some of their people how Russia, a militaty weaker in term of projection country who can only at worst send spies mercenaries to you, hacked their democracy. It's like constant promotion. Suddenly you have to worry about them too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

doesn't the other plant there still work, or am I thinking of a different thing?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1496864693226463235

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's amazing how many liberals have apparently completely forgotten that nuclear weapons exist

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea jokes aside this is weirdly kinda positive because there's zero reason to give a poo poo about that chunk of land unless your goal is a mostly infrastructure/control based occupation rather than blood running in the streets. Like, I genuinely can't think of a reason to give a single poo poo about Chernobyl other than wanting power control.

because if something bad happens at chernobyl, russia will get blamed for it regardless of who did it

russia probably figures that chernobyl is safer under their control than not

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496863373782355971?s=20&t=LJ9UY-CQlZ8l91NQBc16iw

Ukrainian army currently hard at work trying to stop a hostile Motor Rifle Regiment from performing unsafe reactor shutdown tests

'they're gonna shoot up the elephant foot!!!'

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Rip Testes posted:

If Chernobyl is shut down why would Russia have to really try to take it? Is there a force protecting it? The phrasing make its seem like there's a real battle going down there.

russia might want to stop some ukrainian ultra-nationalists from destroying the containment system to spite them, i guess?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

im not an expert on electricity but my first guess would be that chernobyl remains an important infrastructural node in Ukraine's power grid even if the plant is no longer generating electricity right there. I highly doubt it's some clancyesque thing about controlling the nuclear waste

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Footage in Sumy Region kind of wild, dead bodies, APCs on fire, gunfights.

https://twitter.com/Flotch_Forster/status/1496864337507479554

https://twitter.com/laccio/status/1496865126611406850

https://twitter.com/supanarchy/status/1496863178600427526

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

It could be related to Putin's claim that Ukraine is trying to develop nukes. Seizing old nuclear material so they can wave it around as evidence later of Ukrainian militarism.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Man, the arms spergs must be having a field day with this stuff

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Grapplejack posted:

It's amazing how many liberals have apparently completely forgotten that nuclear weapons exist

even outside of that russia isn't iraq. we'd likely lose a conventional war in estonia, poland, or ukraine against russia because it's right on their border and thousands of miles from ours!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

redneck nazgul posted:

because if something bad happens at chernobyl, russia will get blamed for it regardless of who did it

Yea I suppose if I'm mistaken about it still being a part of the grid the best reason is just preemptive 'hey maybe we should make sure nothing gets spicy in Chernobyl in all this chaos'. Which is, yea, I guess good planning.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

yeah, it's weird, it's almost like some nations can do whatever they want militarily with no reprisal. i wonder why

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496867186534756358?s=20&t=wrKY-ObG_xsZm8KMlm-_KQ
https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1496867212711260162?s=20&t=wrKY-ObG_xsZm8KMlm-_KQ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

doesn't the other plant there still work, or am I thinking of a different thing?

the reactors that didn't explode in 1986 remained active and in use for like two decades producing power, but they're all no longer in use and in the process of decommissioning

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

redneck nazgul posted:

Wouldn't be surprised, yeah, when you got nazis on the ground you gotta expect them to try the dumbest poo poo

vyelkin posted:

im not an expert on electricity but my first guess would be that chernobyl remains an important infrastructural node in Ukraine's power grid even if the plant is no longer generating electricity right there. I highly doubt it's some clancyesque thing about controlling the nuclear waste

That might be it.

Vernii posted:

It could be related to Putin's claim that Ukraine is trying to develop nukes. Seizing old nuclear material so they can wave it around as evidence later of Ukrainian militarism.

The US has very much demonstrated you don't need actual proof for these things

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

this ukraine war is bullshit, why isnt this world war 3??? - the media

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Brb gonna get doom running on this bushell of wheat

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Comrade Koba posted:

man could they not use the lightening bolt at the front of every post lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The libs have lost their minds

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

wow im in the usa and i am so taking russia invading ukraine so very personally look at me getting all hoity toity lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

the reactors that didn't explode in 1986 remained active and in use for like two decades producing power, but they're all no longer in use and in the process of decommissioning

ah guess I forgot they were being decommissioned. Yea I have no clue how Ukraine's power grid works so no clue if Chernobyl as a 'thing' is still a part of it even if it's not active but yea if it's not producing electricity then I suppose this is just general securing the area type poo poo.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

man could they not use the lightening bolt at the front of every post lol

lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

you and me both buddy

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hearing the Russians are in Odessa, should I get some of my buddies in Midland together and see what's up

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

someone also remarked that there's a major road bridge a few miles from the reactor site, which is probably worth securing

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1496867274132578304

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zokari posted:

this ukraine war is bullshit, why isnt this world war 3??? - the media

yea I'm sure 'loving' hearing the audible disdain in the media class' voice for poo poo like 'yea no poo poo we're not sending troops into Ukraine' and NATO going 'welp, sucks to suck I guess, sorry dudes' instead of demanding we all counter-invade or whatever. Really is cool to see so many people very genuinely sad europe isn't going to burn.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That's right. It is why this entire thing is so stupid.

It was reported this morning that future Russian grain orders are already being snapped up by China. Lmao if this leads to China no longer buying usa grains.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
me, watching the russian battlecopters descend on my favorite arbys: "valar morghulis"

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/KidDiabeetus/status/1496745617426718721

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rip Testes posted:

Geography. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is directly between Minsk and Kyiv.