Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It seems fairly obvious to me that he's going to come back, the team will be worse but they'll still win the divison because the Bears and Lions are still building and the Vikings are bad, and they'll flame out in the playoffs again, albeit less spectacularly than normal because nobody will be expecting them to go very far this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just ideally thinking about what player had the most insufferable post nfl career

No reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MJeff posted:

It seems fairly obvious to me that he's going to come back, the team will be worse and they'll flame out in the playoffs again, albeit less spectacularly than normal because nobody will be expecting them to go very far this time.

His one super bowl run was the year no one expected them to accomplish much. They were the 6 seed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FizFashizzle posted:

Just ideally thinking about what player had the most insufferable post nfl career

Rae Carruth?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope he retires and goes to live in the woods.

This is how you get unabombers

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

OJ Simpson?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope he retires and goes to live in the woods.

He’ll go have a podcast with Joe Rogan.

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

Joe Theismann has to be up there for shear annoyance.

ulmont posted:

Rae Carruth?

That’s more horrifying and sad than insufferable imo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.
Any of the ones who became politicians have got to be up there

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

That’s more horrifying

Randall Woodfield

fartknocker posted:

insurfferable

Warren Sapp

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

We've got some over and over again white collar crimers and some murdering five people guys, which way do you want to go for a definition of insufferable?

Actually the murdering people guy isn't even who I was thinking of when I started this post. Robert Rozier is my remembering a murderer guy.

fartknocker posted:

Joe Theismann has to be up there for shear annoyance.

Oh insufferable like that...yeah I just grimaced thinking about him. Hell he had it coming way before he retired, he changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

His one super bowl run was the year no one expected them to accomplish much. They were the 6 seed.

True I guess they could always injure Jay Cutler again.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

@TomBrady goes from football player to Hollywood player as he launches his post-retirement career: He will produce & act in 80 FOR BRADY, a Paramount comedy that will star Lily Tomlin,
@Janefonda, @TheRitaMoreno & @Sally_Field

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Steve largent was a third party candidate splitting votes away from being Oklahoma governor so I nominate him as most annoying

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MJeff posted:

True I guess they could always injure Jay Cutler again.

Rodgers single NFC Championship win coming against the Caleb Hanie Bears is so appropriate.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

We've got some over and over again white collar crimers and some murdering five people guys, which way do you want to go for a definition of insufferable?

Actually the murdering people guy isn't even who I was thinking of when I started this post. Robert Rozier is my remembering a murderer guy.

Oh insufferable like that...yeah I just grimaced thinking about him. Hell he had it coming way before he retired, he changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman.

There's too many murderers / rapists and the like. Insufferable has to be a dude who's on the media a lot dropping the shittiest takes imaginable and never contributing anything.

Which is why I went with Warren Sapp. He's disappeared since he beat that lady or whatever, but before that he had the shittiest takes on everything on NFLN. Just the absolute worst opinions on everything.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

There's too many murderers / rapists and the like. Insufferable has to be a dude who's on the media a lot dropping the shittiest takes imaginable and never contributing anything.

Which is why I went with Warren Sapp. He's disappeared since he beat that lady or whatever, but before that he had the shittiest takes on everything on NFLN. Just the absolute worst opinions on everything.

Rodney Harrison was the first that came to mind under this criteria.

Although if I can nominate an ensemble cast, the Fox halftime crew.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Who was that idiot former saints fullback that was on NFL network like a decade ago? He's the dumbest shithead former NFL player I've ever seen

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Rodney Harrison was the first that came to mind under this criteria.

Although if I can nominate an ensemble cast, the Fox halftime crew.

Yeah, actually good point. The elder crew has really gotta go. Terry Bradshaw is a doddering old man, Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson haven't had anything interesting to say in at least a decade. Get 'em out and get some new blood in there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chucktesla posted:

Who was that idiot former saints fullback that was on NFL network like a decade ago? He's the dumbest shithead former NFL player I've ever seen

Um, not Saints but Merril Hoge maybe?

He went from almost dying of concussions to Protecting the Shield about the issue, that was...quite a leap.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chucktesla posted:

Heath Evans.

Grittybeard posted:

Um, not Saints but Merril Hoge maybe?

He went from almost dying of concussions to Protecting the Shield about the issue, that was...quite a leap.

Merril Hoge was on ESPN. He’s one of the people I always remember every year going “This will be the year Peyton Manning can’t carry the Colts and they’ll go 6-10!” and then looking like an idiot when they won 12 games.

Also he sucked in Tecmo Super Bowl :thurman:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's Sean Salisbury.

He's the worst

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

It's Sean Salisbury.

He's the worst

Turning on NFL Live and seeing it would be him and Hoge at the same time was always a massive let down.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There was a broadcaster who used to get literally every single Bengals game for years and years and years who I hated, but he retired a few years ago and I forgot his name. If you think you know who I'm talking about don't remind me I like not knowing his name.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

Herschel Walker is giving it a go this year.

I'm not shocked by how many people worship his cluelessness, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
For the most part though I'm not going to give an old ex-player any crap for cashing in on their name. If some company is dumb enough to hire them when they can't contribute anything it's not their problem.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What’s the saddest post retirement endorsement that a player has had? I don’t mean dumbest or weirdest just the ones you see and go “wow, it’s really come to this with them?”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Romo was good in his first 2 seasons as an announcer post retirement because he still knew the current game. As teams have adapted and changed over time, since he's not in the locker room he hasn't been able to diagnose it as well. It was a cool novelty at the time at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I literally will never understand why a TV network will pay a broadcaster 18 million dollars a year... I don't believe there is one person in the world who watches a football game because of who the color man is.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Put Buck with Johnathan Vilma, it would actually be a good duo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I literally will never understand why a TV network will pay a broadcaster 18 million dollars a year... I don't believe there is one person in the world who watches a football game because of who the color man is.

I'll typically avoid Buck & Aikman games when possible, but that's pretty much agreeing with you by proxy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Worse is how some players don't get that type of dough and they are the ones basically slamming themselves into a brickwall for entertainment.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

FizFashizzle posted:

No reason.

Herschel Walker? Kellen Winslow? Aaron Hernandez?

Well that just got darker and darker the more I thought about it

mcmagic posted:

Couldn't agree more, it's bizarre. How hard could it be to find someone who knows about football and can comment on a play that just happened in an appealing way, I could loving do that. Romo and Brees and Olsen have been relatively good as former players, there's a lot more out there.

Especially since Aikman is the loving worst, or maybe tied with Collinsworth for worst.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What’s the saddest post retirement endorsement that a player has had? I don’t mean dumbest or weirdest just the ones you see and go “wow, it’s really come to this with them?”

I’m not sure it’d be the saddest since he seemed willing to endorse anything, but Joe Theismann was in those ads for Super Beta prostate or something like that, which were on basically every channel for a few years. The Joe Namath Medicare ones have been on for a few years now too…

Not players, but Jimmy Johnson and Mike Ditka were in commercials for different ED pills back in the early 00s when boner pills were every third ad during games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

Same. Like yeah I will mute the broadcast or actively hate it if Aikman or Collinsworth are announcing, but thats just so much money.

Play posted:

Herschel Walker? Kellen Winslow? Aaron Hernandez?
Hey at least Hernandez went out doing what he likes best.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I needed to watch and see some stuff that made me smile today, so here’s a classic for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiu52DN8vYA

Dick Enberg was an underrated PBP guy for years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fartknocker posted:

I needed to watch and see some stuff that made me smile today, so here’s a classic for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiu52DN8vYA

Dick Enberg was an underrated PBP guy for years.
I'm still pissed the Jaguars didnt just let the big man score.
edit: or that the rest of the defense didnt block better for him

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Get ready for more annoying Jackson Mahomes news.

https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/jackson-mahomes-caught-sniffing-substance-up-his-nose-cocaine-during-concert-video/amp/

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Lj_era8/status/1496904141410557954?t=XCCKB6b62I-4V2zmQcKVYg&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lamar has big himbo energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe he’s spiritually identifying with Ukrainians and their troops.