Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1496859476258967560

Burnin' Sherman's Zelensky's Mar-A-Lago Moscow-Style Barbecue Bros.

I wonder if Vlad was counting on Ukraine creating their own guerilla army.

I just can’t imagine they wouldn’t think of that…then again the US in Iraq… so no they probably didn’t think about it all. It’s probably at the same level of care and effort as their training about the rules of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That Works posted:

Yeah, I am not sure why the pearl clutching is strong now when we just kinda went meh over it multiple times before. Not "we" as us itt, just in the USA in general.

This is pretty different. All the previous conflicts occurred in regions where the local people were generally hostile to the controlling Ukraine/Georgian government and had legitimate grievances that Russia could point to as justification to "come to their aid". The level of naked aggression combined with the baffling lack of any obvious strategic gain like getting black sea ports in Crimea is new.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Best we got that can pass for good news:

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1496873037035196416?t=8MOgeDdAxEi-i_IMFJPMGQ&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Unusual perspective; low level Flanker weapons realease, as experienced by a young family in a typical european city

Content warning for child getting upset about war outside their window
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496856171986272266?t=--WM_gm3jVgNkrw5hznCnw&s=19

As a parent this video... gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress all this poo poo, absolutely terrifying

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/TheM_L_G/status/1496857696556961798?s=20&t=7rESLJ2qrRjszmAW8d_ibg

Guys, I'm starting to think this war might not be very popular among the Russian populace...

Honestly that could be the best outcome - the invasion turning into a domestic fiasco for Putin, to the point where he has to call it off or at least pull back to the contested borders, and quickly. Not that I'm holding my breath for that, Moscow has a lot of windows.

An insurgency will just lead to reprisals against Ukrainian civilians. Even if it works it will be horrific for all involved.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

US Berder Patrol posted:

All of the very solemn "end of peace in our time" language is a little funny to me because actually Russia also did this eight years ago. And six years before that in a different satellite.

This is very different in scale and scope so far. This is a bad comparison.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

fknlo posted:

I saw in another thread that there's speculation that the only AN-225 was in it's hangar at the airport in Kiev and was destroyed.

One of (the?) captain of that aircraft has a YouTube channel, so that would be a potential source. He has been very apolitical, which is what you would expect for someone who has to be welcome everywhere.

https://youtube.com/c/DAntonov

edit: YouTube auto-translate captions work very well with his videos

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I just can’t imagine they wouldn’t think of that…then again the US in Iraq… so no they probably didn’t think about it all. It’s probably at the same level of care and effort as their training about the rules of war.

The Iraq war was popular as gently caress when it started too. There's no equivalent to the post-9/11 psychosis in Russia, if anything they're already a bit war-weary from the low-intensity conflict.

Just so loving baffling.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Absolutely no disrespect intended towards Syrians that have been attacked by these assholes, but invading and occupying Ukraine is a whole different can of worms here, and Russia is going to find that out one way or another.

Also, I think you're far likely to see weapons systems/intelligence the US/NATO were iffy about handing over to Syrian rebels being happily handed over to Ukrainians.

Absolutely and I already hope the SADs are in country helping out with targeting and recon. I’m gonna be honest when I say I think there are probably some people in the US intelligence community absolutely looking forward to giving Russia some payback for Syria and Afghanistan. Much like the Vietnam Vets in 1979 working at the CIA.

Also seems the Russians are learning that javelins will gently caress your poo poo up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

What? Why?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sentinel posted:

Hell loving yeah.

Yeah, uhh...I really want Putin to get a bloody nose, but not at the expense of countless additional civilian deaths.
Putting guns in civilians' hands is not even remotely gonna tickle anything on the scale that is the Russia-vs-Ukraine military power imbalance.

This situation is an absolute loving tragedy, and feeding more civilians into the meat grinder is going to make it just an extra loving level of tragic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Unusual perspective; low level Flanker weapons realease, as experienced by a young family in a typical european city

Content warning for child getting upset about war outside their window
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496856171986272266?t=--WM_gm3jVgNkrw5hznCnw&s=19

Looks like a MiG-29 taking a dodgy low/slow air to air shot. Two missiles come off the rails, one of which immediately nosedives off-plane of the pilots nose, the other flies more or less straight out of frame. Possible it was Ukrainian even, aiming at low-slow targets like helos, I dunno.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Because everything is stupid as gently caress in this timeline.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Absolutely and I already hope the SADs are in country helping out with targeting and recon. I’m gonna be honest when I say I think there are probably some people in the US intelligence community absolutely looking forward to giving Russia some payback for Syria and Afghanistan. Much like the Vietnam Vets in 1979 working at the CIA.

Also seems the Russians are learning that javelins will gently caress your poo poo up.

I really thought that much of the talk of war was just the most psychopathic neolib/con columnists and aspiring NED grant recipients trying to will it into existence because its just a such a bad loving idea for Russia.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, uhh...I really want Putin to get a bloody nose, but not at the expense of countless additional civilian deaths.
Putting guns in civilians' hands is not even remotely gonna tickle anything on the scale that is the Russia-vs-Ukraine military power imbalance.

This situation is an absolute loving tragedy, and feeding more civilians into the meat grinder is going to make it just an extra loving level of tragic.

Yeah you're right. I guess its more about the spirit of resistance being there.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CommieGIR posted:

Because it has bridges to get across rivers, as well as it houses an active Substation for the Eastern Ukrainian power grid.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Looks like a MiG-29 taking a dodgy low/slow air to air shot. Two missiles come off the rails, one of which immediately nosedives off-plane of the pilots nose, the other flies more or less straight out of frame. Possible it was Ukrainian even, aiming at low-slow targets like helos, I dunno.

Were those rockets or missiles? I don't know much but I it looked more liked rockets.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Ugh this is nauseating. I really hope it doesnt come to civilians mounting a popular resistance before this conflict ends.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Were those rockets or missiles? I don't know much but I it looked more liked rockets.

A reply I saw elsewhere said that they looked like S-24 or S-25 air to ground rockets that are usually fired in pairs for balance reasons due to their weight. I don't know a drat thing about Russian weapons, but that seems more likely to me than firing two anti air missiles at once in such a poor position. I've been doomscrolling all day so I've long since lost the link to the comment that said so, though.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
No sign of any big companies condemning this invasion and stopping doing business with Russia yet - I guess they'll all be trading upto the final second to maximise shareholder value.

I'm sure Facebook and Twitter will have to be dragged screaming and kicking stop being a mouthpiece for Russian propaganda.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

White smoke plus one nose-diving out of plane while the other took a more typical forward launch profile makes me think AAM. Russian A2G rockets tend to have a darker plume to them.

E: tweet deleted now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

latest Vindman op-ed:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/ukraine-russia-war-nato-biden-deterrence/622873/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1496878993534255104?s=21

Gonna be interesting if that’s true and even remotely prevalent among invading troops.

It also looks like more sanctions are being finalized.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

All of the very solemn "end of peace in our time" language is a little funny to me because actually Russia also did this eight years ago. And six years before that in a different satellite.

I saw a guy sincerely say “I can’t believe nations are at war again in the 21st century”

I just can’t with these takes

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Baconroll posted:

No sign of any big companies condemning this invasion and stopping doing business with Russia yet - I guess they'll all be trading upto the final second to maximise shareholder value.

I'm sure Facebook and Twitter will have to be dragged screaming and kicking stop being a mouthpiece for Russian propaganda.

Russian stock market lost about 33% and the ruble is down similarly - if big business isnt being vocal about thongs they can read the writing on the wall for what this means for Russias position in the global economy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

A reply I saw elsewhere said that they looked like S-24 or S-25 air to ground rockets that are usually fired in pairs for balance reasons due to their weight. I don't know a drat thing about Russian weapons, but that seems more likely to me than firing two anti air missiles at once in such a poor position. I've been doomscrolling all day so I've long since lost the link to the comment that said so, though.

From the tfr thread:

That looks like a big missile with big control surfaces, more consistent with an R-27 than s-25. Also it was salvo’d, not paired.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mlmp08 is completely right, it's not a lot of frames but it's to compact to be a 27/35 etc, and that lenght/size, acceleration inertia, and behaviour is what short range ir missile release looks like. Including the WP practice of doubling up aa shots.
Because sometimes they malfunction (like in the video) so better odds always doubling up.

Could very well be Ukrainian

E. Not sure about it def being r-27s instead of r-73s or 60s

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 24, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Regardless of specific ordnance, when your salvo has one of two missiles going wildly off-axis like this, something has not gone according to plan.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/ShonaMurray_/status/1496829726790406149

:dumbbravo: @ Putin for potentially pushing Sweden and Finland closer to NATO membership.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/AjzMrDla0OA

About 38 seconds in…is that what I think it is?

It’s a loving TOS-1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOS-1

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

mlmp08 posted:

Regardless of specific ordnance, when your salvo has one of two missiles going wildly off-axis like this, something has not gone according to plan.

Dimitri in QA is going to hear about this one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I kinda hope it's a malfunctioning Ukrainian AA missile because if Russian jets are just firing rockets wildly into houses well this is a bad sign of things to come.

I was watching a live stream of Kiev streets, it's kinda weird how normal stuff appears at first glance there still despite the fighting at the airport nearby.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Fair enough. Like I said, I don't actually know anything beyond a couple dozen hours of flight sims (and of those, mostly WW2 based).

Even if it can still cause terrible damage, an AA missile going off course is a lot easier to stomach than using ground attack munitions on the middle of a village, at least.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Would t indiscriminately bombing civilian homes kind of put the kybosh on installing a Russian friendly puppet government with any kind of stability in this lifetime? Im not suggesting its not happening but questioning why anyone would do that, given our understanding of Russian objectives

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't actually know anything beyond a couple dozen hours of flight sims (and of those, mostly WW2 based).

I guess DCS missiles are accurate after all :v:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Grip it and rip it posted:

Would t indiscriminately bombing civilian homes kind of put the kybosh on installing a Russian friendly puppet government with any kind of stability in this lifetime? Im not suggesting its not happening but questioning why anyone would do that, given our understanding of Russian objectives

I'm not a military person and the only few things I know about how stuff works I've learned off people in GIP over the last decade. So speaking as an idiot, even I can see that Putin hasn't actually got any real solid objectives and there's no way what ever the crap he's ordered is going to work.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Lightening the mood with some amazing hot takes
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1496568414269288459

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mathew_dev/status/1496886530996064262?s=20&t=RHxpxT3r4q4N0SDv-ndhHQ

I don't know if raising my blood pressure counts as lightening the mood.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The air assault deep into enemy territory makes no operational sense to me. Based upon the videos I've seen, it looks like maybe a company+ of infantry flying straight into an enemy-held position with little air cover. IIRC (it's been a while), US doctrine calls for at least an entire battalion, plus combat support units.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Would anyone object if I spun off Ukraine chat into a new thread so that the conversation doesn't swallow up other news that might crop up?

To be clear, I'm not saying the invasion of Ukraine isn't current events, I just don't want anything important getting missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McNally posted:

Would anyone object if I spun off Ukraine chat into a new thread so that the conversation doesn't swallow up other news that might crop up?

To be clear, I'm not saying the invasion of Ukraine isn't current events, I just don't want anything important getting missed.

Nope, had to do the same in D&D. Go for it.