Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TFA got by through writing a bunch of bad checks for major plotpoints that JJA was sure he wouldn't have to cash.
TLJ saw the story debt, realized JJA had no plan, and instead of picking and choosing random plot hooks to pay off some of it, decided to burn down the house for insurance money.
RoS is JJA coming into the smouldering ashes, and belatedly realizing that the series is a joke and he doesn't know the punchline, so he cribs from The Glove of Darth Vader, but only the boring parts.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tunicate posted:

TFA got by through writing a bunch of bad checks for major plotpoints that JJA was sure he wouldn't have to cash.
TLJ saw the story debt, realized JJ had no plan, and decided to burn down the house for insurance money.
RoS is JJA coming into the smouldering ashes, and belatedly realizing that the series is a joke and he doesn't know the punchline, so he cribs from The Glove of Darth Vader, but only the boring parts.

It's more like JJA grumbling about the house burning down and rather than moving on just starts picking up rotting and burned pieces to try and hammer it back together because the house needs to exist as it was designed. The front of the house survived intact and it looks fine from the outside, but the moment you step inside it's a burned out husk of a thing that you know is going to fall down if you look at it wrong and really wish he'd let you leave rather than have to sit down for dinner.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more like JJA grumbling about the house burning down and rather than moving on just starts picking up rotting and burned pieces to try and hammer it back together because the house needs to exist as it was designed. The front of the house survived intact and it looks fine from the outside, but the moment you step inside it's a burned out husk of a thing that you know is going to fall down if you look at it wrong and really wish he'd let you leave rather than have to sit down for dinner.

A lot of the decisions made in TLJ made it harder to follow up than TFA. One of the more obvious was deciding to kill off Luke but keep Leia alive and involved.

The hail mary should have been bringing in Zahn as the scriptwriter for the final movie and just begging him to fix everything, which already succeeded once when the EU got too dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tunicate posted:

A lot of the decisions made in TLJ made it harder to follow up than TFA. One of the more obvious was deciding to kill off Luke but keep Leia alive and involved.

You missed the point of the ending then; Rian Johnson clearly understood exactly what the format of the trilogy needed to be, and ended his contribution in a way that whoever followed had a clean starting point free of TFA's nonsense, and his own movie, to build whatever the hell they wanted from the ground-up for the third movie.

And then JJA decided he'd rather jump back in the Original Trilogy hole that TLJ carefully and methodically climbed out of.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've never watched the last jedi so i have no opinion on its quality but lmao at the idea that the best time for a slash and burn story reset is the second film in a planned trilogy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

i've never watched the last jedi so i have no opinion on its quality but lmao at the idea that the best time for a slash and burn story reset is the second film in a planned trilogy

For what the trilogy was intended to be, it actually was; Remember it was meant to be an anthology with three different directors telling their vision of Star Wars. Cleaning house on TFA's bullshit means the guy in third place can actually do that and not have to carry water for the past two films on top of trying to write their own.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats not what anthology means

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"The entire resistance can now fit inside the falcon" is not how you set up the third act of any story. The ending of TLJ put the next writer into way more of a corner than TFAs dozen hanging threads. TRoS sucks on its own merits, but tossing away TLJ was almost assuredly the right thing to do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Force Awakens, on its own, is an okay safe film. The Last Jedi is anything but generic. It misses as much as it hits, but when its hits it lands solid and has some fantastic ideas to build upon.

The Rise of Skywalker is an unsalvageable two-and-a-half hour soul-draining trainwreck that is one of the few movies I don't think I could bring myself to sit through a second time.

The Force Awakens is one of the most forgettable films ever made, more forgettable than Revenge of the Sith and even Attack of the Clones. It is greatly brought down and made worse by this forgettableness.

The Rise of Skywalker manages to be equally as forgettable and, yet, paradoxically unforgettable in how soul-destroyingly bad it is, though you mercifully won’t remember any of the details.

Together, looking back at watching the Disney sequels is like looking back and trying to remember the hazy, but decidedly unpleasant experience of having surgery. And each film in the trilogy can kind of be fit into a rough third of the process from beginning, middle, and end/start of recovery.

The Last Jedi kind of fits there as the one sorta-bright spot. You don’t really remember a ton about that time you had surgery—you were on a bunch of anesthetics and drugs. Maybe they used nitrous oxide to bring you up/down. But you remember this one really trippy dream you had in the middle of it that was pretty weird and fun, and maybe there were some neat creative ideas expressed in it. But it’s not like worth the experience of having an impacted molar removed or whatever.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alaois posted:

"Planned", that's the problem. poo poo clearly wasn't planned at all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groke posted:

"Planned", that's the problem. poo poo clearly wasn't planned at all.

well planned trilogy in the sense of "we know we are making 3 movies"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Last Jedi had a lot of strong and interesting moments and hooks that Rise of Skywalker should have built on and that should have led the franchise into the future. Instead Disney got scared and had JJ spent most of RoS going back on most of those moments and now the franchise is stuck back in 'mine the hell out of nostalgia' territory.

There's like a dozen big Star Wars projects in the pipeline and none of them are set post-RoS and honestly I can't blame them for that at this point. Whoever's the first to try and do a post-RoS project is going to have to figure out how to handle all of JJ's bullshit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly, I wonder if George’s biggest sin with the prequels was trying too hard. Also the obsession with pushing green/blue screen filmmaking at the expense of the final product. Those movies would’ve probably been much better if they’d gone with a more Disney-style hybrid approach WRT practical effects. It’s not like they didn’t have the budget for it.

One movie that did so much by mixing CGI and live action, was Jurassic Park. So much of what I thought was animated was actually animatronics.

Like the famous scene with the kids in the kitchen used guys in suits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss 90's Star Wars, 3 non-ewok movies, a bunch of books, and our imagination

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

"The entire resistance can now fit inside the falcon" is not how you set up the third act of any story.
Lol the setup is ridiculously easy to cheese in either a "we became a new rebellion" or "they heard the call and were scared, but we showed them bravery was possible and they came through in the end" sort of way.

The Trevorrow script does that with Finn leading the charge.

Or maybe the whole "gently caress the past" speech flew over the audience's head on this one. Rebels, Empires, in the end the moral fights enrich the evil. How do you fight that?

Err... I mean... "GUYS I got the Amidala Cup Topper from KFC! It'll go great with my Amidala Pepsi can!!!"

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

As for me, Kylo Ren was such a lame whiny dork poorly cosplaying as a Sith that I couldn't be assed with the last two movies, I at least made it through Attack of the Clones before bailing on the prequel trilogy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I guess I can't even call this a derail since I can't think of anything that takes me back to the late 90s more than obnoxious fanboys shrieking about Star Wars ad nauseum.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Iron Crowned posted:

And the WEG roleplaying game. That was tons of fun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groke posted:

And the WEG roleplaying game. That was tons of fun.

I had the second edition, never played it, but I loved looking at all the illustrations and imagining all the adventures I could be going on if I had friends. Some things never change

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Saucer Crab posted:

As for me, Kylo Ren was such a lame whiny dork poorly cosplaying as a Sith that I couldn't be assed with the last two movies, I at least made it through Attack of the Clones before bailing on the prequel trilogy.

To add another moron wrestling with the tar ball of Star Wars fandom, the point of Kylo was that he was a lame whiny dork poorly cosplaying past glory.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Saucer Crab posted:

Revenge of the Sith is worth watching.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The sequel trilogy needs at least 7-10 more years before it can obtain cult like meme status. It’s future memes will be hilarious though, just gotta hold out till then.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

The sequel trilogy needs at least 7-10 more years before it can obtain cult like meme status. It’s future memes will be hilarious though, just gotta hold out till then.

The Clone Wars show played a big part of making people go back and reevaluate the prequels.

To make this a bit more 90s related, it’s fun noticing how the old EU books and stuff like the previously mentioned WEG sources talked about the Clone Wars before the prequels came out. The timeline and everything related to it was vague but very clearly different from what Lucas later went with.

Also the Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo N64 games were cool.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One movie that did so much by mixing CGI and live action, was Jurassic Park. So much of what I thought was animated was actually animatronics.

Like the famous scene with the kids in the kitchen used guys in suits.

holy poo poo i had no idea that rules

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

the only people who are gonna have a cult fandom for the Disney sequels are the same people who have a cult fandom for it now—the more grown up version of the people who had a cult fandom for the movie version of the Onceler, ie maladjusted nerd women who wanna gently caress an angsty Adam Driver.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Cartoon Man posted:

Future memes brought to you by Disney

There’s an article describing the theory that: now that Disney owns the prequels, they’re paying off sites to right favorable articles to try and rehabilitate those movies. Probably true.

I’ll always think of them as the worst of all of the SW movies, but im not a movie critic

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

the only people who are gonna have a cult fandom for the Disney sequels are the same people who have a cult fandom for it now—the more grown up version of the people who had a cult fandom for the movie version of the Onceler, ie maladjusted nerd women who wanna gently caress an angsty Adam Driver.
Dude you've got loving issues.

namlosh posted:

Future memes brought to you by Disney

There’s an article describing the theory that: now that Disney owns the prequels, they’re paying off sites to right favorable articles to try and rehabilitate those movies. Probably true.

I’ll always think of them as the worst of all of the SW movies, but im not a movie critic
Disney doesn't actually have to pay any third party.

The barrier to astroturf anything on social media is really low-- it just requires a lot of labor hours and people willing to shut up and do their jobs-- two things which most monolithic institutions have in spades.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Saucer Crab posted:

As for me, Kylo Ren was such a lame whiny dork poorly cosplaying as a Sith that I couldn't be assed with the last two movies

There was so much they could've done with that -- initially it seemed like a pretty great and relevant modern take on the villain concept, where a whiny little shut-in can still develop his own weird cult following and become the next Hitler. Unfortunately they didn't have the guts or at least the clear direction to really explore that, and he was ultimately just a different faceplate on top of the usual villain thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Dude you've got loving issues.

lmao what

ok boss

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao what

ok boss

Ok Comboomer

:v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

no broccoli please posted:

gently caress yes. I've been listening to a podcast about 90s CanRock (Rave and Drool) and bought a book on the history of Big Shiny Tunes because of it, and the encyclopedia on aforementioned CanRock Have Not Been The Same. Loved that poo poo.

And this is everyone's reminder to listen to Sloan.

Yea, as I said these were big for people with not a huge amount of money to buy the actual cds for the hit songs, so you could get the big hits right then and there. And it let you avoid the trap where the big hit is the only decent song on the album. Though I do find it funny how often you'd have a medium sized hit by a Canadian band because you need that CanCon requirement to meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkN_qkN5JLQ
Some great tropes of 90s indie music videos in their video for Underwhelmed.

Ok Comboomer posted:

RLM is great and their plethora of content is so much better and bigger than Plinkett

Semi-related but not really, I’ve recently gotten very into Found Footage Fest and VCR Party.

Top notch content if you want that sweet 90s video slop

There's something about RLM that rubs me the wrong way. Its not just Plinkett which was reprehensible framing device for movies. I remember the guy who told me about the RLM review of Ep1 was legitimately getting excited about "its so funny, its presented by this serial killer and he's got a woman tied up, its really funny!" Like, gross dude, you're probably on a watchlist somewhere. Like they're not CinemaSins bad, but i dunno, there's just something about how they present stuff that doesn't appeal to me.

Anyways, brutalmoose has some good found VHS stuff. Just the weird stuff people taped off tv because they might want it. It made sense if some big movie was on TV, like i recorded Jurassic Park the first time it was on TV, also the Dark Crystal was another tape i watched over and over. I also had a tape of music videos i liked recorded, which was a real task because you'd have to sit through tons of Amy Grant and other dentist office waiting room music just to grab Smells Like Teen Spirit or Evenflow.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wikipedia claims as of 2020, Big Shiny Tunes 2 is still the 4th best selling album in Canada. I know my family still has a copy somewhere, and it's a guarantee you'll find at least one at any given thrift store.
It's got a Smash Mouth song on it.
But the cancon on it is pretty good, as least with nostalgia goggles on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtG4FfXB7zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdBU1wgk6c

Not a Big Shiny Tunes track, but Matthew Good got a lot of play in our house as well. It looks like the music video got taken off youtube but Everything is Automatic is a banger. Looks like it charted in Canada and nowhere else? Everywhere else was missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5vF-v0Wtc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The only thing to live for is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cdvbOPpFwY

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

And Shadows of the Empire

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
love it when my Star Wars heroes are canonically named Kyle

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

love it when my Star Wars heroes are canonically named Kyle
uh I'm Todd, I work on the Death Star at the receiving dock. do you like the smashing pumpkins?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
8T-88 is definitely not a lazy droid name.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Even as a kid I was always confused at how there were so many Jedi, dark or otherwise, in Jedi Knight. I was keenly aware of the Star Wars lore.

Fortunately I didn’t give a gently caress ultimately because that game was bad rear end.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sweet sweet neck pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Moms and Dads, junior can Race Car! Build City! Fly plane!

Junior: Electrocute Sweaty Punch Man with Green Vampire Ape!