Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

You need to abuse ambush. Forest terrain gives a higher ambush chance so try there when possible. There's many effects which reduce enemy army movement by 20%. You can bait the army into overextending then jump them.

Sometimes you can just ambush them outright. My first fight vs Karl as Skrag I procced an ambush and devastated a force that had 3x mortars, 3x crossbowmen and 2x handgunners with swordsmen for the rest.

I'm constantly in ambush. 45% chance? More like 55% chance the AI beelines for my minor settlement, spots me, zigs, zags, and ends its movement in march like right in front of me. I just ambushed a tzeentch force full of exalted pink horrors with a mid tier nurgle stack (a hold over from my dwarf chasing days so it had six plague toads) and I'm like "Ha! I have six units of toads!" It was a pyrrhic victory, all the toads were dead from being outclassed by the horrors but at least they tied them up. Ugh gently caress Tzeentch. It gave me my first Exalted Great Unclean One who now has ample room to create a new stack and instantly picked "Hates Tzeentch" as one of his initial skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Can anybody give me a quick explanation of outposts and allegiance points? I feel like I should be engaging in the mechanic in my slaanesh campaign, and yet it seems like every faction already has outposts from other factions early on.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PerilPastry posted:

Any writeup of what's included?

Patchnotes are up: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tw-warhammer3-patch101/

Looks like nothing much.

quote:

PATCH 1.0.1
Fixed an issue where the multiplayer lobby would refresh too quickly, preventing players from being able to select and join a room.
Fixed an issue which prevented invites to a multiplayer lobby from working properly.
The game now runs in DirectX 11 compatibility mode for all users by default. This is to prevent instances where users inadvertently ran on the legacy implementation of the DirectX 12 beta.
Improved how 12th generation Intel CPUs (aka ‘Alder Lake’ family) interact with the game, providing more consistent framerates when running on these processors.

e: this patch has had the great effect of causing my game to crash every time i try to load a saved game. Awesome!

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Double Bill posted:

Literally didn't know this, I only noticed the reinforcements stuff. I've somehow managed to get through three souls battles without using any of that.

You can also unsummon damaged units that will slowly heal up and maybe replenish ammo and then you can resummon them even your OG units or ones you know will suck in this type of battle (i never checked cuz i'm smitten with demons which is weird I never was with the tabletop lore (I think they are where CA nailed it with this game even with limited rosters but convenient allies in warriors of chaos factions that just take a little gold to nudge along if you want and then fight battles in the realms of chaos to earn alliance points. Your allies really want you to fight the demon armies up there. The game really wants you to. You realize this when on your journey to collect 100k from Slaanesh you probably make more than 100k along the way if you really enjoy the fights. It was never about sucking their click (is this right?) it was all about the journey to get it in your mouth this is a terrible analogy))

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Can anybody give me a quick explanation of outposts and allegiance points? I feel like I should be engaging in the mechanic in my slaanesh campaign, and yet it seems like every faction already has outposts from other factions early on.

Outposts: You build them in defensive allies that have a major settlement. It allows you access to their recruitment from that settlement alone I think. All I see are tier 1 stuff at this point. You recruit them with allegiance points. Once you get a full military alliance you can upgrade your outposts and get better stuff as well as the option to entirely take control of one of your ally's armies for a turn maybe??? It cost a lot of allegiance.

Allegiance points are gained through missions supplied by your allies and they also naturally tick up I think with outposts. The missions can be all over the place but a consistent way to farm allegiance points is during your jaunts into chaos. All your allies starts spamming missions to kill the armies in there. If you have a ton of allies you can get all the missions on like one army.

Edit: As for not being able to get outposts in, I've seen that with some more far flung alliances but I haven't given Slaanesh much of a ride yet so maybe they make it more difficult for them to get them because they can abuse it too much. It's why Nurgle doesn't start with any obvious sources of trade goods in reach when that's the only way you're going to get more heroes. It forces you to go for the friendlies close by (although I bet if you grab the capital of the nurgle faction to your west from the skaven you might be able to get them to confederate) or start the inevitable hell war with tzeentch to the north.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 24, 2022

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

Any writeup of what's included?

PATCH 1.0.1

Fixed an issue where the multiplayer lobby would refresh too quickly, preventing players from being able to select and join a room.
Fixed an issue which prevented invites to a multiplayer lobby from working properly.
The game now runs in DirectX 11 compatibility mode for all users by default. This is to prevent instances where users inadvertently ran on the legacy implementation of the DirectX 12 beta.
Improved how 12th generation Intel CPUs (aka ‘Alder Lake’ family) interact with the game, providing more consistent framerates when running on these processors.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tw-warhammer3-patch101/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I can't finish a campaign.

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Use ambush stance and use a solo lord as bait.

Stack movement speed modifiers, I've gotten some lords so speedy that normal stance moves as far as march stance.

Use less ultra-elite units in your stack, the AI is more likely to hide in a town against 19 terracotta sentinels.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just sit in ambush near my town so when the AI comes, even if they miss me, I can fight them next turn or help defend my town as reinforcements.

Once their army is dead I walk over and take their town.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been trying to bait with ambush stance and it very rarely works because the AI isn't as easily baited, it seems, as in TWWH2. I wonder if it has to do with the VH campaign setting?

Maybe I'm just lucky, I usually sit in the nearby forest for 70% ambush chance but I have yet to get a single ambush and I'm about finished with my Kislev campaign.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

Zhao in my first Cathay campaign is running around with 57% ward save and the rare times his healthbar even moves it regens by 10/second.

He is a one man army, research the 20% ward save banner and grab the Slaanesh blade for another 20% and luminark lens -40% enemy fire resist for damage, he hasn't invested any points in spells, doesn't really need more then the occasional dragon's breath for chaff clearing

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Use less ultra-elite units in your stack, the AI is more likely to hide in a town against 19 terracotta sentinels.

This

My favorite Lords are ones that buff low tier units. The AI thinks "my god why does he still have all those nurglings" except those nurglings regenerate and outlast my plaguebearers if they are in the blob. I realized today my Nurgle tactics consist of slowly trying to shepherd little blobs of fights that somehow have split off the main blob back into the main blob. Just push them back in with flies. There there everyone together. Cleanliness is Sinful!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I've been trying to bait with ambush stance and it very rarely works because the AI isn't as easily baited, it seems, as in TWWH2. I wonder if it has to do with the VH campaign setting?

Maybe I'm just lucky, I usually sit in the nearby forest for 70% ambush chance but I have yet to get a single ambush and I'm about finished with my Kislev campaign.

Are you using a solo lord as bait next to the ambush? if a random agent doesn't ruin the ambush early it should be a juicy target for the AI to go after.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

I consider Dragon to be a useful extra and otherwise they're entirely a super powerful Human LL. However this is mostly a function of how I play and not an absolute truth. I'll recap what I did what Meow in almost every fight.

1) Meow starts with a Skyjunk and can maintain a powerful ranged block at -50% upkeep. Her harmony multiplier means I like to set the junk in range to shoot hellfires at the enemy(whenever people say skyjunks aren't good I get confused, armies with 1 starting artillery get an enormous QoL benefit and it got 150-300 kills every single fight it emptied all rocket ammo) and it'll shoot faster with her harmony amplifier. You can set the junk and Meow forward and try to intercept enemy attention since Meow is tanky by default and can heal herself.

2) You can tie up loads of T3 or less enemy infantry and ranged by just having Meow charge in and fight as a human. As a small model she won't take too many attacks and she'll reliably kill 1-3+ enemies per attack in a huge crowd. The dangers of course are that by default the Dragons are not high end tanky. Meow doesn't even have good damage for a LL, she's at like base 400 in human. Dragon form has inherent risks to survivability(anti-large, bigger model for taking more melee attacks in surround, enemy ranged can shoot at you over the heads of the crowd.) They're great, they're intentionally a bit OP, but they're not invincible. You need some good item drops to work towards that, some ward saves. There's also a late game tech for a +20% ward save banner you can assign to Lords. What this means is that if you go into dragon form and eat a ranged heavy army focus fire you can die(and no healing spells while dragoning it up! Zhao can still do fire breath though.) If you get outpaced late game on the Super Elite front you can't solo the enemy army. This can be pretty rare though but.. late game Tzeentch stacks(even on my winning VH I couldn't soak horror focus fire) and late game Skarbrand stacks(Dragon LLs are NOT the apex predator!)

Firing with artillery or ranged into blobs or dumping aoe spells next to your dragon LL here get big results, of course. This is truly sickening in realms of chaos with say Lore of Fire CONJURE VOLCANO and the like.

Meow also starts with a cheap long range snare spell and this wrecks havoc on the enemy trying to close against your line. I used it all the time to make enemy fliers or heavy cavalry succumb to the fire line before they even met the front. You can also use this to chase and beat down high value retreating targets and even to snare and guarantee the kill on enemy Lords during post battle. Spamming these two cheap spells(earthblood, snare) cycles you through Super Spells in the realms of chaos nicely too.

3) Dragon form! If you don't use Dragon Form a lot that is OK. However even then it has great uses. Want to get somewhere fast and with flight? Dragon. Stuck in a crowd as human and it's actually going bad? Dragon will automatically put you above it in flight. Want to tip the balance of power in a cheeky way, especially vs ranged light factions like demons but they have furies or rot flies? Dragon at the start, fly over, beat them to death. Note that this is another "dragons aren't invincible" scenario since I'd take a lot of damage taking out 1-2 rot flies + 2 furies.. but I can fly back to my army, human up and heal. There's also a rare blue item, a sky kite, that gives you +20% speed and radiates a 20-40 damage per second aura to flying enemies. I also forgot to test it but as a Flying Melee I'm pretty sure Dragons can beat up settlement towers.

4) Skill trees. I actually went very caster light on Meow. 2 points, enough to get the map-wide healing passive. I probably should have tried Night Talons but I got everything done slow and steady, since my end game doomstack was controlling enemy engagements and getting them into a death moshpit with Meow + multiple Terracottas getting spam earthbloods. Now remember that I said Dragon LLs aren't actually invincible by default? The yellow line pays off ENORMOUSLY here. It's the difference between being in serious danger during the soulgrinder spam of the last battle and having an extra 20+ Defense so you're not. It's also the difference between safely fighting some powerful LLs like Ku'gath in melee. Getting +20% weapon strength also pays off well since surprise, Dragons aren't top-end base damage. I also swear religiously by blue lines in every game and nearly every faction. Cathay Reds are surprisingly lop-sided. The first point is golden for free XP, the next 6 let you give good buffs, especially for the melee/ranged split, buuuut the 4 big reds at the end are actually a bit questionable. The Melee one sucks, a little extra leadership and like +charge on Cathay Infantry is a goof. The reload one is insanely good, and the one that includes Terracotta is decent. They don't need to be faster but +10% physical resist is :discourse: Rally is as always a good buff.

For Meow specifically don't get the "Great Bastion buildings are cheaper" skill! It's a trap. Great Bastion gates have a commandment that gives you building discounts and fast growth. Set that, build -upkeep and +growth buildings, the second you purchase your T5 gate building swap to the commandment for +200 xp growth per turn. When an army isn't actively seizing stuff and especially once you have as much of Cathay as you want locked down your armies should be squatting in the little circle that extends behind each gate. I cleared VH within 150 turns with 4-5 armies(3 on gates) and the 1-2 extra hung out at the gate for free xp and money per turn. I had 250k stockpiled by the end, I was paying for maybe 3 armies total and I had 10 terracotta in each of the gate armies. Meow was 10 Terracotta, 4 Celestial Spears/4 Celestial Crossbows and the Skyjunk.

To review

-Dragons are great, fun and strong monsters and you should experiment a bit with what you can get away with. Soloing the flying portion of the enemy army in the air is possible against a lot of match-ups.

-If you NEVER use Dragon form remember you can still use it as a flying travel mode or an emergency crowd exit.

-Dragons actually tap out vs the best of WH Lord/SEM stats in late game and need good equipment and yellow line support to keep up and they still get dumpstered by the best of the best like Skarbrand or trying to solo Ku'gath if your min-maxing isn't on point. This will be more meaningful in IE as well because I don't think unoptimized Dragon LLs will be able to beat monsters like Tyrion, WoC LLs, LLs on super mounts(Wulfric, Malekith, etc) or Sword of Khaine LLs(if it's back) without proper support.

-Almost all skill approaches are viable for different reasons, you'd have to go for The Worst Of AI builds to make a totally subpar Dragon LL.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 24, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

This

My favorite Lords are ones that buff low tier units. The AI thinks "my god why does he still have all those nurglings" except those nurglings regenerate and outlast my plaguebearers if they are in the blob. I realized today my Nurgle tactics consist of slowly trying to shepherd little blobs of fights that somehow have split off the main blob back into the main blob. Just push them back in with flies. There there everyone together. Cleanliness is Sinful!

The right way to build armies.

Hello slaanesh marauders and daemonettes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

My slaanesh armies have been so bad I couldn't autoresolve any of the daemon realm soul fights

and it owns

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I've been playing on normal. First time playing Total War: Warhammer 3. I'm probably ready to bump it up to hard now that I've learned the nuances. Hopefully the enemy doesn't start to suddenly hide from me constantly and I can still get an economy going. It will be a challenge. One might even say, if one were feeling plucky, that it will be hard.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

trippple poist

I think we can save our lords and heroes then email them to each other and load them into our campaigns.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i got you, friend

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So to make it clear: for daemon soul battles there's no malus for waiting a bit, building bunch of towers and getting your units replenished?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

alex314 posted:

So to make it clear: for daemon soul battles there's no malus for waiting a bit, building bunch of towers and getting your units replenished?

I think your supply income will eventually fizzle out if you do this, so there is a limit on how much you can get.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think your supply income will eventually fizzle out if you do this, so there is a limit on how much you can get.

Thanks, I was afraid I'll get swamped by more enemy forces. I did just 1 of those, for second I went with autoresolve.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Panfilo posted:

I'm having so much fun with Skrag. It's a great starting position, you have plenty of tiny victims. Once you clear out the dwarves and skaven you can start chewing on Karl and sweep through the empire.

Ogres might as well be called the anti human faction, as they have the best units for annihilating infantry blocks. Ogre charge nullifies a lot of spear units, gorgers go for the flanks and work well in sieges, and their roster has a good overall variety of units. The 3 combat buff skills they get are good for snowballing to a victory (killing units that are retreating builds up the meter). Their base speed is pretty high, which helps facilitate their strengths.

From what I've gathered from streams so far, Ogres are considered by pretty much everyone to be the most OP faction so far, and they have some borderline broken units. Apparently Gorgers are extremely strong for pretty much everything, so I recommend checking those out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think Kislev is going to be a great starter faction for a lot of people, better than the Empire ever was for learning. It's just so forgiving having units that can survive even if you completely gently caress up your micro. That being said, I feel a little bored playing them and I'm having trouble finishing fights decisively.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What catches me offguard everytime with the ogres is whenever I have something reach their artillery I don't expect it to just ... zoom away at twice the speed of any infantry I sent after it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't have any comments about the skills trees in this as compared to the other games, mostly because I hate the whole design in the first place. My actual comment would be that I cannot tell at a glance what skills are good because I have to commit 3 skill points to unlock their maximum potential, the trees visual are huge and scattered all over the place, and there's no respec so if I have built my characters badly then I won't be able to unfuck myself.

Also Route Marcher is a very stupid skill and should be replaced with something that isn't desperately vital.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

punishedkissinger posted:

I think Kislev is going to be a great starter faction for a lot of people, better than the Empire ever was for learning. It's just so forgiving having units that can survive even if you completely gently caress up your micro. That being said, I feel a little bored playing them and I'm having trouble finishing fights decisively.

I had some issues going into Tzeentch's realm with them, they're kinda meh when you run out of ammo on everything.
That said, get some war sleds! They're great fun, and extremely effective at hunting down chaos armies.

The Deleter posted:

I don't have any comments about the skills trees in this as compared to the other games, mostly because I hate the whole design in the first place. My actual comment would be that I cannot tell at a glance what skills are good because I have to commit 3 skill points to unlock their maximum potential, the trees visual are huge and scattered all over the place, and there's no respec so if I have built my characters badly then I won't be able to unfuck myself.

Also Route Marcher is a very stupid skill and should be replaced with something that isn't desperately vital.

You can see the 2nd/3rd tier of a skill by hovering over the tiny dots. A bit unintuitive, but the option is there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Broken Cog posted:

From what I've gathered from streams so far, Ogres are considered by pretty much everyone to be the most OP faction so far, and they have some borderline broken units. Apparently Gorgers are extremely strong for pretty much everything, so I recommend checking those out.

They are good but I'd hate for them to be considered OP. I'd say ogre bulls are similar to dwarf warriors in that they are reliable enough to punch above their weight. Their kryptonite is ranged fire and large enemies with anti large (like skin wolves).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Deleter posted:

I agree with your criticisms, but you can see what three points gets you by mousing over the empty points circle on the skill!

I gotta say, I love the small settlement battles, both attacking and defending. I think they could use some refinement and patching (some of the maps need their pathfinding nodes cleared up i think?), but they've definitely succeeded in creating more engaging fights. You are so incentivized to split your forces as much as possible and you end up with 2-3 brawls you have to switch between. It's just so engaging compared to previous sieges.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I hope that in IE the demon factions get to teleport to regions with high levels of the appropriate corruption.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Panfilo posted:

They are good but I'd hate for them to be considered OP. I'd say ogre bulls are similar to dwarf warriors in that they are reliable enough to punch above their weight. Their kryptonite is ranged fire and large enemies with anti large (like skin wolves).

The main thing in campaign at least seems to be that their tier 1 ogres, iron bulls or whatever, are extremely effective for their cost, and you can coast on a full army of only those for a long time. Ranged fire honestly isn't all that much of an issue for them because of how fast and sturdy they are. They can close the distance to firing lines fast.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also ironblasters are nuts

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are you using a solo lord as bait next to the ambush? if a random agent doesn't ruin the ambush early it should be a juicy target for the AI to go after.

Oh poo poo good point, I just put an ambush near a tiny little settlement but the AI is probably a lot more reticent to try and take a single settlement now since minor settlements aren’t just field battles. But if there’s a solo lord as bait, the AI will think it gets to gobble them up in a field battle.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not sure what the point of the Gryphon Legion cavalry is supposed to be in the Kislev roster. They are the same tier as bear cavalry and seem significantly worse in most respects.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sky junks are pretty good in campaign no? I also heard people saying they suck but they seem like really efficient artillery

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Impermanent posted:

I hope that in IE the demon factions get to teleport to regions with high levels of the appropriate corruption.

Rift's opening at high corruption would be a good way to integrate them into IE.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Third World Reagan posted:

Finally figured out why people think slaanesh has replenishment problems.

They are not orc, beastmen, or norscan players.

Have a wonderful time murdering all the rebels and having massive gains in capturing people to replenish your armies.

Yeah there's another problem with Slaanesh - you basically have to keep unrest at -50 or below to have a decent economy. It's not too hard to stabilize it there normally, but as soon as a hell rift shows up you're in trouble. So I've been spending a lot of time juggling buildings in spare slots between the +/- unrest buildings while agents run around closing rifts.

The extra captives trick seems kinda cool but it's useless for chaos realms or out in enemy territory, and it's also like 20,000 favor of buildings per province, not to mention needing a T5 settlement to max out.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think I’m going to leave a movement and replenishment debuff plague cultist on every tzeentch island to gently caress with any AI Lords that come by. I hope they stay once I’m gone :/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Why would you stabilize the free money lever known as a rebellion

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Third World Reagan posted:

Why would you stabilize the free money lever known as a rebellion

Why would I waste time grinding rebellions past the early game when those armies can be out taking new territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Regardless of the efficacy of rebellion farming I'm never going to do it because it looks and sounds incredibly stupid.