Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please don't, spoilers will show inline on phone browser.

NOW he tells me. How the hell do you post anything twitter related then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Relevant Tangent posted:

he's going to kill a couple because why not? and they're going to take it because they're authoritarian strongmen and he's stronger, the strongest
anyone who thought the oligarchs were in charge has had a real :crackping: moment

Who the hell thought the oligarchs were in charge?

Putin's been unopposed now for like 20 years.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's Russian armour, and the narrator is Ukrainian.

Aren’t Russians all rocking the “Z” tags on the sides and backs?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I'm American and many of my friends are in federal government/politics, and I haven't seen my social media feeds this "united" since... before social media existed?

It's not surprising, but it feels significant.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What is all this talk about Putin's cleavage, goddamn. Sanctions gooooooo, cleavage later

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

coelomate posted:

I'm American and many of my friends are in federal government/politics, and I haven't seen my social media feeds this "united" since... before social media existed?

If you're American, please please call your local rep and urge them to push DHS to give Ukrainians temporary protected status.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a sexual elk posted:

No, different fronts have different markings. We’ve seen Z, V, U, O I think, and a diagonal stripe over the entire vehicle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

coelomate posted:

I'm American and many of my friends are bin federal government/politics, and I haven't seen my social media feeds this "united" since... before social media existed?

yeah seriously. outside the hardline trumpists and some tankies. everyone is united over this. its facinating. hot take but i think alot Americans have been unconsciously waiting for a big rally around the flag moment and this is the one, least for now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

a sexual elk posted:

The "Z" probably just was some specific units in order to clearly designate them (and there's probably other kinds of similar desginations apart from "Z") and give them priority (or not) when it comes to moving at or near the front lines, for a historical parral the trucks and tanks of the tank group Kleist were marked with "K" insignia during the battle of France to afford them priority and ensure they got to the front.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1496886660440932352?s=20&t=xNz1hlFux6ynMrsC3oCq9Q

Cowards.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZombieLenin posted:

As I said earlier in this thread, I am a Marxist; and as a Marxist I do not know how anyone who claims to be on the left could do anything other than cheer on Ukraines people and Armed Services who, in my view, are fighting someone who is as close to a successor of Hitler as one can realistically imagine.

Again, every human death is a tragedy, but for lack of a better way to say this, I am praying to the nonexistent gods that Ukraine makes Russia bleed for every inch Russian forces advance into Ukraine.

Not a Marxist but :same: and I couldn't have said it better myself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not just fuel, I mean parts and repair. You can't just pick up parts to repair a T-90 in a local auto store.

The distances involved are small enough and as far as we can tell supply routes are not completely hosed that this isn't going to be an issue.

If this gets prolonged and you get consistent and good attacks on supply convoys then maybe?

Most militaries keep a poo poo ton of spares because you need them even when not in active combat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not just fuel, I mean parts and repair. You can't just pick up parts to repair a T-90 in a local auto store.

It makes me wonder if they would start asking China for vehicles to have a quick resupply, and in doing so how that would further stir the pot in global relations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What's Russia's ability to keep on truckin' in the face of sanctions from US/UK/EU like?

Is their relationship with international trade mainly financial or are they reliant on external sources for raw materials at all?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think we all reading and posting here have a bigger problem.

https://twitter.com/bneeditor/status/1496887786980450313?s=20&t=paAAxvl93_pUOlWyEzdNtA

Hope you all got full tanks of petrol today.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The oligarchs are going to metaphorically kiss the ring, profess support for the war, and be reassured by Putin he will look after their wealth. None of them are going to be dropped into a tank of angry sea bass.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there any reason to believe the Russians are really taking it in the chin here, or is it mostly just people cherry-picking Russian materiel getting toasted?

The captured platoon tweet makes it sound like Russian ground forces thought this would be a milk run and were surprised to encounter resistance. This might be what cinci zoo sniper was referring to about the situation going off the Russian training script?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why would you be surprised by Germany. They’ve p consistently been the most cowardly of the western block the whole crisis

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sebzilla posted:

What's Russia's ability to keep on truckin' in the face of sanctions from US/UK/EU like?

Is their relationship with international trade mainly financial or are they reliant on external sources for raw materials at all?

Depends on the sanctions - Russia has been sanctioned for years now. It doesn't appear Europe is united on severe sanctions so.....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

we will see. stuff is too early. i can see it happening. biden is giving a speech about all of this in a half hour.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Capitalists.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there any reason to believe the Russians are really taking it in the chin here, or is it mostly just people cherry-picking Russian materiel getting toasted?

The captured platoon tweet makes it sound like Russian ground forces thought this would be a milk run and were surprised to encounter resistance. This might be what cinci zoo sniper was referring to about the situation going off the Russian training script?

There’s fog of war and there’s also the fact that Russia you know uses Twitter to spread disinformation and sow chaos and so both sides are amping up their victories for morale purposes.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah seriously. outside the hardline trumpists and some tankies. everyone is united over this. its facinating. hot take but i think alot Americans have been unconsciously waiting for a big rally around the flag moment and this is the one, least for now.

Putin hosed up massively. He is beyond a doubt a global villain right now and his memory will be damned for ending the Long Peace in Europe, especially over such petty pointless reasons

Americans love a good rally around how much better we are than evil autocrats moments, it's what we are trained for by our propaganda.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Telsa Cola posted:

The distances involved are small enough and as far as we can tell supply routes are not completely hosed that this isn't going to be an issue.

If this gets prolonged and you get consistent and good attacks on supply convoys then maybe?

Most militaries keep a poo poo ton of spares because you need them even when not in active combat.

It's Russia however, and much of their equipment is poorly maintained, and many of the parts and supplies either didn't exist due to grift, or were sold by soldiers for money because no one checks poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why would you be surprised by Germany. They’ve p consistently been the most cowardly of the western block the whole crisis

Pretty much, no surprise here. Germany has largely neutered any geopolitical willpower they had due to their increasing dependance on Russian energy imports.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

It's a huge battlefront so there will be lots of individual incidents that go one way for one side or another. The strategic situation is grim for Ukraine: check back in in a week. If a cohesive, stable line has formed on the right side of Kiev then the war is going badly for Russia.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Putin hosed up massively. He is beyond a doubt a global villain right now and his memory will be damned for ending the Long Peace in Europe, especially over such petty pointless reasons

Americans love a good rally around how much better we are than evil autocrats moments, it's what se are trained for by our propaganda.

yeah that and the chuds are too loving dumb to know when to shut the gently caress up about it. also cpac is going on so some of these dipshits will defend russia this week.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

selec posted:

Capitalists.

The Germans? more like Quislings, tbh.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

DandyLion posted:

Who the hell thought the oligarchs were in charge?

Putin's been unopposed now for like 20 years.

He's still exercising power through a number of high ranking officials, and he have to keep making sure it's a better calculus for them to have him in power rather than deciding to serve him polonium tea.

Imagine how paranoid he must be, given his belief that everyone else is as cold and ruthless as he is himself.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It's Russia however, and much of their equipment is poorly maintained, and many of the parts and supplies either didn't exist due to grift, or were sold by soldiers for money because no one checks poo poo.

This has been a assumption for a long time but this really the first time we see how it impacts their military in a ground war, I believe.

There is no good reason to assume that they are going to quickly run out of parts or fuel. It would be a historically bad example of logistical planning.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
"We already sent you helmets, what else do you want?"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JerikTelorian posted:

its still too early to tell though but we do have documented evidence of NATO members shipping over crates and crates of advanced portable missiles, especially javelins. these are the kinds of weapons which would really gently caress up an invader's day

there is going to be an imbalance in social media coverage though because as the fighting is happening in ukraine, after the fighting pauses it will be ukraine civilians who come out to post clips of blown up tanks on twitter, which will naturally bias what gets shared and what goes viral

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Wibla posted:

The Germans? more like Quislings, tbh.

They didn’t make the choice because of some inherent Hun deficiency, good lord post like an adult.

It’s money on the line, same as it is for everybody.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

JerikTelorian posted:

Given it's been only what, 24 hours or so since heavy fighting kicked off it seems too early to say. Kind of not surprised that some Russian troops are getting wrecked but at the same time if Kviv were to fall tomorrow and everything collapses I wouldn't be surprised either. Everything's so chaotic and credible information is hard to come by so really who knows what the state of things are now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sebzilla posted:

It’s fairly good, they done their homework. https://archive.fo/S1g15

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Morrow posted:

It's a huge battlefront so there will be lots of individual incidents that go one way for one side or another. The strategic situation is grim for Ukraine: check back in in a week. If a cohesive, stable line has formed on the right side of Kiev then the war is going badly for Russia.

Yeah, agreed. We are not going to know the final situation until either: Zelensky himself is captured or surrenders, or Ukraine manages to solidify a defensive line. That's gonna take a while, at least a few days if not a week.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

One of the reasons I was surprised Russia didn't invade sooner (as in like a week ago) was because of those arms shipments. Maybe they really were just waiting for the end of the Olympics, or they figured the arms shipments didn't outweigh having more prep time, who knows.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The Russian military of 2022 is not the military of the Chechen war. There is no reason to believe this operation is not going to plan.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

For those not familiar, the SWIFT network is pretty much how banks interact with each other. It’s not the entirety of the system, but I’d definitely say it’s the largest chunk of it. This would be a hell of a lot of isolation, and make any kind of money transfers into or out of Russia—particularly for imports and exports—a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zlodo posted:

He's still exercising power through a number of high ranking officials, and he have to keep making sure it's a better calculus for them to have him in power rather than deciding to serve him polonium tea.

Imagine how paranoid he must be, given his belief that everyone else is as cold and ruthless as he is himself.

The calculus gets simplified if the oligarchs have FSB agents embedded in their organizations (or merely worry that they do). Putin didn't get to his current situation without threatening and backing up those threats regularly to each of the oligarchs that he deems worthy to serve him in some fashion. They are essentially indebted to him for both life and riches.