Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

CommieGIR posted:

We've covered this: Its a strategic position due to bridges over the river and substations for the Eastern Ukraine power grid. Nothing is going on with the plant itself other than that.
OK. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

[url] https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1496892073907462146?s=21[/url]

That’s a threat

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, they are all shutdown and defueled. The only risk is Reactor 4 which, obviously you can't fully defuel. But other than that, you'd have to purposefully try to bomb the plant.

Even then, at worst is a medium risk to people in the immediate vicinity. Its not really a major, multi-national risk.

Even bombing would take serious effort, the new sarcophagus is installed and is a fairly decent barrier, as an area that was probably lightly defended it likely is a good spot for a potential point to push through though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

I'm not following either. They have boots and nice looking cold weather gear.

They have gear but do not remotely look like hardened veterans or a professional military

Is Russia throwing young conscripts at this? I thought they had a more professional military now?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TulliusCicero posted:

Crossposting but extremely relevant:

The Russian military may have been posturing more than we thought if this in fact true and a good example of their equipment standard :stare:

The uniform and layers all look fine for cold weather stuff. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is a very bad look domestically, wow. Also wow that it’s happening in general.

There was also this salient point underneath the tweet about the two conscripts...
https://twitter.com/JillofAllTrad14/status/1496864128501227523?s=20&t=Mg9hyQttsVQqhphZ4_hPUQ

MOD NOTE: Spoilered for POWs

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

fatherboxx posted:

https://zona.media/news/2022/02/24/ksa

(Russian)

Committee of Soldier Mothers (old and respected organization overseeing rights of draftees in military) says that conscripts are forced to sign professional service contracts (otherwise using them in combat is illegal) and sent to Ukraine

winning hearts and minds! But for russia now! apparently!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronash posted:

This is an incredibly ancillary issue, but have Javelins ever been distributed in a conflict like this? Is it a reasonable concern that randos may end up with some if Ukrainian forces are pushed back?

I think the russians probably have access to comparable ATGM systems anyway, and the US probably isn't planning to invade the region any time soon and so likely cares less about randos ending up with fancy ATGMs. And ultimately outside of a war they are just a very expensive way to blow up a vehicle you can see, just so happens that they work on vehicles up to and including main battle tanks.

Honestly the bigger worry I would have about equipment going missing is MANPADS because those could absolutely be used to shoot down civilian airliners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Even bombing would take serious effort, the new sarcophagus is installed and is a fairly decent barrier, as an area that was probably lightly defended it likely is a good spot for a potential point to push through though.

Now, worth noting Ukraine has a lot of other nuclear plants, however I doubt any attempt would be made to bomb the reactors themselves, much more likely they hit the substations and force them onto backup power to go offline.

Right now, we have no indications Russia is hitting their online reactors.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

TulliusCicero posted:

They have gear but do not remotely look like hardened veterans or a professional military

Is Russia throwing young conscripts at this? I thought they had a more professional military now?

Modern some militaries are mostly 18-year-old kids

Also wasn't there a bit reported that soldiers were trading their gear for random trade goods and writing it off as losses?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

TulliusCicero posted:

I went to war with dudes who looked like they were 12 years old, when you have a smaller frame and shave all your hair it happens. As you get older you kinda forget what an 18 year old looks like. This is the reality of it.

edit: also that follow up tweet. If Russia is really massing a bunch of conscripts with 0 training they are going to get loving blasted in a lot of places. What a horrorshow.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Baronash posted:

This is an incredibly ancillary issue, but have Javelins ever been distributed in a conflict like this? Is it a reasonable concern that randos may end up with some if Ukrainian forces are pushed back?

javelins are really good at being easy to use and killing the poo poo out of tanks. fourth generation ATGMs are fairly common, and you can get good ones from many different nations

the US and other allied nations who use javelin don't want them to proliferate or be traded, because they are really good at just giving any rando the power to butcher heavy vehicles, that is a concern. however, when you're handing over stacks of them in anticipation that they will be used immediately, the chances are less that they will disappear from supply depots and end up on the black market

if russian soldiers end up with them, eh. russians have komet and other similarly good weapons. you just don't want like, the taliban, getting their hands on a bunch of javelins

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I went to war with dudes who looked like they were 12 years old, when you have a smaller frame and shave all your hair it happens. As you get older you kinda forget what an 18 year old looks like. This is the reality of it.

Yeah I look at old pictures and we look like children

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean, it's a safe bet that most Russian enlisted are going to be conscripts. That's literally how they and alot of other militaries maintain their manpower (and develop a reserve). These guys look young, could be anything from teens to early twenties, but that's typically what soldiers are, they're young. Also the concept that soldiers are automatically poor soldiers is facile. Unmotivated and demoralized conscripts obvioulsy would be, but they're not really different from other soldiers in that respect other than being recruiter from a broader portion of the population.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Boris Johnson just said "...as for kicking Russia out of SWIFT... uhhhh... nothing is off the table", so I guess it's not happening.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean, what are they supposed to look like? They are random kids, scared on top of that. The kind that makes up pretty much every army in the world, I see plenty of similar looking young Russians and Ukrainians on the streets on a daily basis.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

i am a moron posted:

edit: also that follow up tweet. If Russia is really massing a bunch of conscripts with 0 training they are going to get loving blasted in a lot of places. What a horrorshow.

Not in the military myself but I do work in healthcare and it's the same way. Many of the amazing nurses I know are in their early twenties. It's wild. Also, I am 36 today and this is the worst birthday ever.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

russia seems to be throwing almost everything it has that isn't nuclear at ukraine which i guess maybe makes sense from a shock and awe perspective and end the war as quickly as possible perspective. it doesn't make sense in terms of making your already unpopular war popular or letting foreign militaries learn all about your fancy new weapons.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

That's completely fair.

I guess I'm just seeing an unexpected lack of fight or zeal in Russian troops from what all the propaganda says, and i interests me how popular the war actually is among the actual army.

I was wondering if they had lovely supplies because they were selling them off like the report out of Belarus suggested.

The cold weather gear though looks sufficient yeah.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Just so that we're clear. Letting Russia have Ukraine = on the table. Swift = off the table.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

There was also this salient point underneath the tweet about the two conscripts...
https://twitter.com/JillofAllTrad14/status/1496864128501227523?s=20&t=Mg9hyQttsVQqhphZ4_hPUQ

MOD NOTE: Spoilered for POWs

yeah. i suspect alot of these dudes are just conscripts who got hosed into "permenent service".

also

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1496893286522437635

We are in STALKER/call of duty territory now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The problem is that using Swift like that is pretty dangerous for the entire global financial order. Obviously you can respond by saying Russia invading Ukraine is pretty dangerous for global order too, but maintaining that threat to use against China in the future is a pretty big US interest.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BoldFace posted:

Just so that we're clear. Letting Russia have Ukraine = on the table. Swift = off the table.

Euros being cowards when it comes to actually confronting Russia? Say it ain't so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i suspect alot of these dudes are just conscripts who got hosed into "permenent service".

also

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1496893286522437635

We are in STALKER/call of duty territory now.

Yeah, their goal is likely to cut off electricity links to Eastern Ukraine that run through Chernobyl.

:siren: Hey guys, please try to also spoiler pictures of POWs as technically you are not supposed to share those photos :siren:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ollybarratt/status/1496894106840276998?s=20&t=lwbLjlceQBFbNH9iMsElAw

Financial freeze from UK banking, full asset freeze on VTB, and banning Aeroflot from the UK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also as noted the site is guarded by the ukrainian military so they can't really just ignore it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/ollybarratt/status/1496894106840276998?s=20&t=lwbLjlceQBFbNH9iMsElAw

Financial freeze from UK banking, full asset freeze on VTB, and banning Aeroflot from the UK

Can't go too hard and piss off your own donors right Boris? :shepface:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

[As if bending lips around unfamilair shapes]

Thanks... Boris? Great job?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, their goal is likely to cut off electricity links to Eastern Ukraine that run through Chernobyl.

An interesting fact here is that Ukrainian state energy operator did run, just a few days ago, a successful test of operating Ukrainian power-grid in self-sufficiency mode.

Fake edit: https://tass.com/economy/1409149

quote:

KIEV, February 24. /TASS/. The Ukrainian energy system cut itself off from energy systems of Russia and Belarus and is functioning independently, Ukrenergo company said.

"The energy system of Ukraine is disconnected from energy systems of Russia and Ukraine and will be in the standalone mode in recent days to test the system for future connection to the European network of power transmission system operators (ENTSO-E)," the company said.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Biden speech moved back to 1:30 now.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I don't know if it's better or worse if this goes longer. Putin might get even angrier and order more indiscriminate bombing as Russian planes are the only things that are unchallenged right now.

Some rumblings of protests in Moscow on social media however it remains to be seen how many people feel safe enough to go. The small ones organized over the last couple of weeks had everyone immediately thrown in prison.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

The problem is that using Swift like that is pretty dangerous for the entire global financial order. Obviously you can respond by saying Russia invading Ukraine is pretty dangerous for global order too, but maintaining that threat to use against China in the future is a pretty big US interest.

Sinteres posted:

I'll be honest and say that even as someone who's not particularly sympathetic to Ukraine

One may be related to the other

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

that seems goodish?

apperently Schiff is talking about cutting russia out of SWIFT and how that needs to be done. He is house intel head and big biden ally. so i expect biden to do that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking as someone without finances I would not really be sad if the global financial order was a casualty in the war.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

TulliusCicero posted:

Can't go too hard and piss off your own donors right Boris? :shepface:

I mean, if you read the list in the thread, it's about as much or more than I think anyone would've expected the Tories to do. SWIFT isn't just their call or the US's for that matter, but it's continental Europe you're going to need to blink on that one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Banning Aeroflot from landing in the UK, or banning Aeroflot from UK airspace?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Googling whether parking your artillery near a nuclear station to prevent return fire is a war crime

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
https://pravdaurfo.ru/polnotekst/36...-goskontraktov/

This is a russian article from last year that covers some of that tank factory embezzlement that I mentioned earlier. It gives you some background on how today's russian military industrial complex works. You can bet the government money for this factory probably turned into a nice apartmentment building in London etc. Google translate works ok with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

One may be related to the other

Digging through my post history from over a week ago is pretty sad. I obviously meant it in a different context from today, but congrats. How do you disagree with the actual analysis beyond scoring points in front of your online friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

External Organs posted:

I'm also in a deep red state and the folks here are very much not into this war.

...they do think it's Biden's fault though. Somehow.

What like he wasn't tough enough on Putin when Trump was President or something? I'm in Texas so it will be interesting to see how Abbot and his filth make statements about this in the next few days and week. Same with the candidates up for reelection this year.