Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boogiepop posted:

People need to chill out with the kneejerk reactions to PC performance. These days you can almost always boil down performance issues on new games on modern hardware to a single unoptimized game setting or graphic toggle. It's not going to be some insane issue that plagues everyone. It's so annoying to me to see people say stuff like "I HAVE A 3080 AND A XYZ CPU THIS SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE FOR ME" - that isn't how computers work and you'd think some of these people would know better by now. Chances are that same person flips one switch in the game options and it magically runs like a dream and looks identical. That's just how PC gaming is now.

Yeah I've already read/watched several reviews where people said on PC they had some issues but they weren't game breaking.

It does suck though because even on my at the time four-five year old machine Sekiro ran like a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It is weird how nearly every big game pc launch involves a memory leak these days

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

boogiepop posted:

People need to chill out with the kneejerk reactions to PC performance. These days you can almost always boil down performance issues on new games on modern hardware to a single unoptimized game setting or graphic toggle. It's not going to be some insane issue that plagues everyone. It's so annoying to me to see people say stuff like "I HAVE A 3080 AND A XYZ CPU THIS SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE FOR ME" - that isn't how computers work and you'd think some of these people would know better by now. Chances are that same person flips one switch in the game options and it magically runs like a dream and looks identical. That's just how PC gaming is now.
this is the biggest crock of poo poo I have read today

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boogiepop posted:

Sure, but at the same time watching a popular streamer have serious performance issues in real-time doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence, ya know?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PC's these days aren't the mess of bullshit we had to deal with back in the late 90's/early 2000's, running memtest and all that poo poo and hoping to god the PC posts. It's fairly streamlined.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lid posted:

gently caress THE CAT

No. Marry the cat, gently caress the painting demon, kill the wolf

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Found a friend

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

boogiepop posted:

i think the reason people flip out is exactly BECAUSE it could be a single fluke of one hardware component in your specific setup exclusive to you that gives you all the performance problems, whereas 99.9% of all other players don't see it at all. since there's no way to tell if you're the lottery winner for bad performance until you run it on your own system all you can do is look at other people's stuff and freak out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Very pissed at all the twitch weirdos on my twitter timeline who can play this but I can't.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah there probably isn't some magic button you can press to make the issues go away but he's right that it doesn't seem to depend on your PC's power. It's likely a DX12 issue that'll have to be patched by the developer. Doesn't seem to be too severe though. I think the real "problem" is that people's standards have been raised with respect to that sort of thing and nowadays, even minor instability issues are seen as unacceptable.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's not even a framerate stutter unless it drops to single digit fps. Fight me

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hatty posted:

Found a friend

Do not harm this turtle.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

boogiepop posted:

alternatively FromSoft's track record with optimization, whether for PC or console, is real bad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Vintersorg posted:

Do not harm this turtle.

I would never

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

enojy posted:

No. Marry the cat, gently caress the painting demon, kill the wolf

I am not marrying this loving cat.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If I were playing elden ring I would simply not have performance issues

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a new release, people are making a fuss because they aren't sure if the game will be playable on their systems this weekend or sometime in the future. I'll probably refund if there are serious stutters and wait until its gotten some patches.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

alternatively FromSoft's track record with optimization, whether for PC or console, is real bad

dark souls 2 ran like a dream on PC on launch :colbert:

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

i think the reason people flip out is exactly BECAUSE it could be a single fluke of one hardware component in your specific setup exclusive to you that gives you all the performance problems, whereas 99.9% of all other players don't see it at all. since there's no way to tell if you're the lottery winner for bad performance until you run it on your own system all you can do is look at other people's stuff and freak out.

Most of the time it's user error and/or some particular configuration of hardware and software (drivers, OS, OS Health, aforementioned weird unoptimized setting in the game, OC settings or lack thereof, RAM speed settings etc.) that requires some tweaking to resolve. I can't tell you how many times I've had friends absolutely losing their poo poo over some technical performance issue in a new game and acting like the sky is falling and wanting a refund etc. before even applying the lowest level troubleshooting logic. 5 minutes of "let me google that for you" caliber troubleshooting later and the game runs like a dream.

It's a totally separate conversation as to how acceptable that is for a AAA game in 2022. Especially when there are lots and lots of non AAA games that come out and are incredibly well optimized and run on every setup imaginable without issue.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My first playthrough of half life 2 involved about a 20fps framerate and the occasional chug down to 1 fps. I can handle a frame drop

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah my worry is the roll of the dice - I had no idea people had issues with DS3 for instance because it ran smooth as hell for me.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 24, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It was only after playing through all of DS1 PTDE and loving every minute of it that I learned that it had been running at an intolerable 30FPS all along and that you needed to patch it to make it playable. Needless to say, I was furious and disgusted.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hmm, directx 12 having issues? Thankfully i'm still on windows 7

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Impermanent posted:

My first playthrough of half life 2 involved about a 20fps framerate and the occasional chug down to 1 fps. I can handle a frame drop

I played Quake 2 with onboard graphics at like 10fps. I can handle most things. :3:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Simply direct your x to 11

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
hmm warrior looks cool but vagabond has more strength and a big ol halberd, truly unsure which way to go here

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hmm warrior looks cool but vagabond has more strength and a big ol halberd, truly unsure which way to go here

Putting stats/gear over fashion? Shaaaaaaame!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496603542630641671?s=20&t=_MLxUoeY8T9480YooqwM3g

lol how did people mad about Elden Ring manage to outdo the easy mode discourse around Sekiro before it even came out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Was there a vpn-related unlock possible, or are people just sticking with their regions (pc, steam)?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

redreader posted:

Was there a vpn-related unlock possible, or are people just sticking with their regions (pc, steam)?

On console, yes, but I haven't heard of any for PC

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's preloaded, but its is not fully loaded

I wish to elden my ring

how do I do that

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

redreader posted:

I think you can change the region on Xbox, but for Playstation it's midnight in whatever region you bought the game, and Steam has a global release in 6 hours

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496603542630641671?s=20&t=_MLxUoeY8T9480YooqwM3g

lol how did people mad about Elden Ring manage to outdo the easy mode discourse around Sekiro before it even came out.
I find it weird that hundreds of people on Twitter think not having a quest checklist on the screen at all times is some sort of accessibility issue. It's probably just the Twitter thing where people need to be mad about something though.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Steam release simultaneous worldwide, no way to get it early.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rusty posted:

I find it weird that hundreds of people on Twitter think not having a quest checklist on the screen at all times is some sort of accessibility issue. It's probably just the Twitter thing where people need to be mad about something though.

One of the accessibility experts blocked me when I asked if someone's memory is so shot they can't write stuff down how would they beat an enemy or boss without prompts for every attack. I wasn't even mean about it lmao

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
omg dumb people on twitter well i never

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rude but fair

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rusty posted:

games have morphed into work... literally just checklists of busywork bullshit. so people are confused when games come out that are actually games (you just freely play with them however you want) and don't attempt to emulate work

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Filthy Haiku posted:

We're about to witness the evolution of DSfix into ERfix.

Hopefully easy anti cheat won't flag that or Kaldaien's mod stuff as hacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is it possible to preload the day-1 patch? Are Steam's servers going to crash due to everyone trying to download at the exact same time?