Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
As a LaRoucheite I am glad the USSR is having a civil war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

because dnd has low traffic because only either brokebrained biden-lovin' libs or people who want to bash them post there

they apparently have 100 more people browsing than we do

come on in and post, lurkers, you have nothing to lose but your state sponsored :10bux:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

brugroffil posted:

Short of an active military buildup with reliable intelligence of an intent to invade in the immediate future, "preemptive" invasions are not justifiable.

Google “joining NATO”. That’s what it is. Announcing you will join a hostile military alliance is providing reliable intelligence of an intent to invade in the immediate future.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

razorscooter posted:

egging ukraine on was a really good prank even if we have to put [GONE WRONG] onto all of the video titles

look mistakes were made, there is plenty of blame to go around

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MLSM posted:

How else would they stop Ukraine from joining nato genius

The ongoing low-intensity conflict in separatist regions and status of Crimea already pretty much assured that for now, and there was obviously no imminent threat of Ukraine joining NATO--let alone any imminent threat of meaningful militarization of Ukraine. This action will only accelerate NATO expansion elsewhere, and will shut the door on any meaningful expansion of Russian' influence or soft power west of the Dnieper. It's a bold, impulsive, short-sighted act that doesn't really advance Russian strategic interests except in a very narrow minded and near-term way, over a threat that was much longer term.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

Did you ever read this thread? We've been saying this for weeks now.

how much of a pain for Russia do you think all the gladios in Ukraine are gonna be? for sure they're gonna be getting lotsa funding and weapons going forward, even if they folded immediately in terms of actually defending the country

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Torpor posted:

are you attempting to excuse accidentally flying a mig -29 into Ukraine and having a fucky wucky and firing missiles into homes?

read that post I made again

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/Ted_Kac/status/1496892796208390144

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Morbus posted:

The ongoing low-intensity conflict in separatist regions and status of Crimea already pretty much assured that for now, and there was obviously no imminent threat of Ukraine joining NATO--let alone any imminent threat of meaningful militarization of Ukraine. This action will only accelerate NATO expansion elsewhere, and will shut the door on any meaningful expansion of Russian' influence or soft power west of the Dnieper. It's a bold, impulsive, short-sighted act that doesn't really advance Russian strategic interests except in a very narrow minded and near-term way, over a threat that was much longer term.

Frosted Flake posted:

Google “joining NATO”. That’s what it is. Announcing you will join a hostile military alliance is providing reliable intelligence of an intent to invade in the immediate future.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking “what dumbass would try to invade Russia?” then thought about all the moronic poo poo the US has done in the past and the frequency with which the phrase “regime change” is used on the news and lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I'm sorry that you think Chinas invasion of a neighboring country based on hosed up ethnonationalist claims is "100%" legitimate. The situation is that Taiwan did not pose a military threat to China in any way, as we can see by how insanely quickly they got rolled. Even if Taiwan was scheduled to join NATO tomorrow, that would not justify preemptive invasion. Short of an active military buildup with reliable intelligence of an intent to invade in the immediate future, "preemptive" invasions are not justifiable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Truga posted:

the more i read/listen to this guy the funnier he is. he called everything right in the 90s and early 00s with what was going to happen in east europ/ukraine specifically

and now he's saying USA should antagonize china, and saying the nato/ukraine blunder was bad because russia could be on their side in that conflict lmao

this is your brain on anticommunism

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tulip posted:

usually taking modern cities involves weeks to months of brutal block to block or even room to room fighting, that continually flares up in reprisal killings behind lines that either side believed were firmly established days ago

kiev's the biggest city in ukraine by a big margin, 3 million vs about 1.5 for the next largest

tl;dr they’ll bypass to destroy the Ukrainian field army first if they hit any resistance . There is no need for a prolonged battle when they can go around, rout the Ukrainian Army and force a surrender.

Unless the Ukrainians are willing to do what the US wants, turn Kiev into Grozny and fight to the last grandma, the city should not be a problem. It will either declare itself a free city, resistance will be light and scattered, or it can be bypassed. If they choose to fight on when the rest of the country has been taken any the army that would relieve them is destroyed… well, yeah. Not great.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Feb 24, 2022

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
if the concern is NATO on their borders, won’t they just create an issue once they take over Ukraine? would the next step be demanding Poland leave NATO because it poses a threat and they don’t want a bordering nation to be a NATO member?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Any war action is going to lead to civilian deaths because this isn't Dragon Ball Z where we can teleport this out to the remote mountains.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

there’s no way the loving Russians let their VDV use their personal phones with tiktok on them also he’s not wearing gear that suggests he’s entering a combat zone maybe this was from that training a year ago?!

As we all know, telling infantrymen not to do something dumb guarantees they won't do that dumb thing

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
The big gay dead airplane is not so dead after all:

https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1496891999433404420

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

how terrible a person am i if i want to reinstall wargame airland battle now

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MLSM posted:

How else would they stop Ukraine from joining a hostile nuclear military alliance dumbass

I don't think they have an inherent right to do that.

e: Ukraine doesn't change that alliance's nuclear capabilities in any way

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

StashAugustine posted:

how terrible a person am i if i want to reinstall wargame airland battle now

worse than Putin

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rate my take:

Russia should stop the invasion of ukraine, and not only that, everyone should be forced somehow to de-militarize all armies globally.

No idea how you’d do that though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
New CSPAM background: https://twitter.com/DoctorPenisBoob/status/1496898660017311746

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hseroK divaD posted:

The big gay dead airplane is not so dead after all:

https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1496891999433404420

i feel better

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Opioid posted:

if the concern is NATO on their borders, won’t they just create an issue once they take over Ukraine? would the next step be demanding Poland leave NATO because it poses a threat and they don’t want a bordering nation to be a NATO member?

holy gently caress this poster is stupid

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Opioid posted:

Yes, that's why this is dumb and shortsighted

(And is exactly why the US were so gung-ho about this farce going ahead)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If the US invaded canada it would also be because of Poutine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Opioid posted:

they're not super thrilled about poland in nato either but also while you can explain the context leading up to this it's maybe not the best long term move

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

taiwan sending troops back in time to get machine gunned down in the dardanelles to be a full anzac member gave china no choice

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

all western foreign policy is based on the well-researched and scholarly work, "if you give a mouse a cookie"

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Frosted Flake posted:

yeah, a pre-emptive declaration of war has a very limited legal definition and a neighbor considering joining an international alliance definitely isn't enough. of course international law is a completely trivial, blatantly ideological fabrication, but it isn't that meaningless

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

putin wont stop until he reaches berlin

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

went to bed 4 hours ago and just woke up

hows the war going? any solid data on troop advances/positions/casualties?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Opioid posted:

They are going to install a government that will keep Ukraine as a buffer against NATO.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

Weird how many countries have joined NATO and yet there has never been an attack on Russia. I guess "immediate" means "may decide to turn aggressive at some indeterminate point in the future and invade a nuclear power for ???"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

truly, less countries around russia would desire to be a part of a mutual defense organization after this

animist
Aug 28, 2018

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Rate my take:

Russia should stop the invasion of ukraine, and not only that, everyone should be forced somehow to de-militarize all armies globally.

No idea how you’d do that though.

perhaps you could use an army

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Opioid posted:

Presumably they're not looking to completely absorb Ukraine. They smash Ukraine's military, carve off a couple choice bits, stick in a puppet government, maybe leave a few "military advisors" around, and now they have a buffer state under their thumb (which is what they wanted in the first place.)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Opioid posted:

now you’re on the trolley!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If we take the liberal interventionist view that it is imperative to stop Putin, that indeed any price must be paid to stop him, because the long-run cost will amount to thousands if not millions more lives as he takes even more than just Ukraine...

... consider that Putin has probably made a similar calculation, of the long run cost of NOT doing this, of allowing NATO to set up shop next to Russia, and how much that is going to cost him, and calculated that the conflict now is going to cost less than the alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

animist posted:

how much of a pain for Russia do you think all the gladios in Ukraine are gonna be? for sure they're gonna be getting lotsa funding and weapons going forward, even if they folded immediately in terms of actually defending the country

I have no loving idea, but occupying Ukraine would make this poo poo even more insane. Not something anyone predicted because it's so stupid.