Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Legendary Witch Queen is the best campaign content Bungie has made since Halo 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, LL could be a problem in later missions if you're trying to go through with a 1350 set?

But it's not hard to stay steadily ahead of what you get synced down to.

E: Legend Campaign was great - I was a little worried going in since they were hyping up the difficulty in the vidoc, alluding to the days of Halo Legendary, but I think they might have also been talking about master mode?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Legendary Witch Queen is the best campaign content Bungie has made since Halo 3

It's the best campaign Bungie has ever done and one of the best coop fps campaigns I've ever played

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Legendary Campaign kicked my keister solo but was deeply rewarding. The final bossfight against Big Moth Mommy was fuckin hard as gently caress!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Playing through the campaign with my sibling has been rewarding so far

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I'm still in, I guess, Chapter 2 of the campaign just cleared the shrine to Oryx but this is the poo poo that brought me to Destiny in the first place. This is the kinda stuff that made me fall in love with the franchise.

I will say that I stopped playing as Captain America and started being Bubble Bro in my solo legendary campaign and just having the bubble has saved my rear end a few times now. Weapons of Light being part of the bubble and getting void melee punches inside of it is nice, and running Heart of Inmost Light means that I am always getting grenade and throwing-shield back because I just pop my barrier at whatever direction I'm being shot at and suddenly I can toss a shield again.

Flipped between a few weapons at this point but I seem to be pretty happy with my exotic being Graviton Lance with the catalyst. It hits hard with the revamp of numbers on pulse rifles, and when enemies die they end up exploding into void orbs that can take out other enemies. I did end up using Le Monarque and Hard Light on a few attempts at an earlier mission's ending; mostly was looking for things that were void and might pack a punch but also have infinite ammo so I wasn't scrounging.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m rocking Elemental Ordnance and Explosive Wellmaker, Elemental Time Dilation, Well of Tenacity, and Bountiful Wells. Bomber x2, 100 Discipline, Nezarec’s Sin and a Grenade Kickstart mod mean 100% Grenade uptime. Just endlessly chaining explosions together as 2-4 elemental wells pop out of every other enemy while they explode, daisy chaining all the red bars in the room.

I’m unclear what benefit my Axion Bolts gets from the fragment that boosts their duration. The bolts already chase forever, nothing in the game runs fast enough for me to need them longer…

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Do you get the exotic armor choice only at the end of the legendary campaign or do you get it no matter what just at a lower level? Can't find the info at all and I completed it on legendary.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The 1520 starter pack and free exo are your Legendary campaign rewards.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My build:

Heart of Inmost Light
Super: Ward of Dawn
Aspects: Offensive Bulwark and Bastion
Fragments: Echo of Persistence, Echo of Exchange, Echo of Undermining
Elemental Time Dilation, 2x Well of Tenacity, Melee Wellmaker, Elemental Ordnance

Monte Carlo
Empty Vessel (Blinding Grenades, Auto-Loading Holster, Vorpal Weapon)
Adept Hothead (Ensemble, Clown Cartridge)

Monte Carlo means I always have throwing shields which means I always have access to overshield and grenade energy. Suppressing grenade and blinding grenades means my enemies are always weakened and not attacking me plus echo of exchange gives me more melee energy on top of the Monte Carlo. Heart of Inmost Light means spamming abilities buff each other and regen each other. Echo of Undermining plus Ward of Dawn plus Hothead means I can make my own DPS phases, I wish my Hothead roll was better but it has Clown Cartridge and that's what's important. Currently halfway through Solo Legendary with this.

You could swap out Elemental Time Dilation and one of the Well of Tenacities for Explosive Wellmaker and Well of Life if you'd like, but I found only five seconds in Well of Tenacity to be too paltry, and while both the Empty Vessel and your Suppressor Grenade will qualify for making Solar wells, the debuffs on each are more important than the splash damage. Crank up Recovery and Resilience as far as your armor will let you, in that order, followed by Discipline, then Strength. Try to aim for 30 Intellect.

Thinking of typing this up as CAPS LOCK SENTINEL in honor of my Dota 2 days.

Here is my Dresstiny.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 24, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The new Hakke kinetic aggressive shotgun, Ragnhild, uniquely has 16 zoom while every other shotgun in the game has 12. Maybe it's a display error (like Matador's 80 Impact), but it appears that Ragnhild has overwhelmingly better OHK performance than even the most godly rolled Timelost Found Verdict

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do more than nibble at this expansion yet but so far everything is good. The story, the characters, the loot, etc.

The myriad of new stasis legendary weapons is very welcome. So are all the improved void builds.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Bust Rodd could you add the Euro Goon Squad discord to the OP?

https://discord.gg/X8gxQ9gN

We had a healthy active playerbase all throughout last season (running new and old raids, both scheduled and impromptu, as well as trials on the weekend) and looks like a lot of folks are coming back for WQ. If you're in a EU timezone (or adjacent) then join us for fun times in voice and shitposting in the discord!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

why is this not already a shader?!

night's chill

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just completed the campaign.

Wow. We kinda hosed ourselves over there, huh?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, The Traveler appears to have totally and completely hosed us, lol

DXH posted:

Bust Rodd could you add the Euro Goon Squad discord to the OP?

https://discord.gg/X8gxQ9gN

We had a healthy active playerbase all throughout last season (running new and old raids, both scheduled and impromptu, as well as trials on the weekend) and looks like a lot of folks are coming back for WQ. If you're in a EU timezone (or adjacent) then join us for fun times in voice and shitposting in the discord!

Cannnn do!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I didn’t know you had to go talk to Ikora for more void grenades. That was so dumb. They clearly planned on making you do a bunch of poo poo to unlock each and every bit of void, and then bailed at the last second.

Picking through that menu to verify that everything came unlocked except a few items from a random sub menu? WHY

Like seriously, why make us unlock them at all, what on earth, that’s such a weird decision.

I’m just so completely baffled by that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I didn’t know you had to go talk to Ikora for more void grenades. That was so dumb. They clearly planned on making you do a bunch of poo poo to unlock each and every bit of void, and then bailed at the last second.

Picking through that menu to verify that everything came unlocked except a few items from a random sub menu? WHY

Like seriously, why make us unlock them at all, what on earth, that’s such a weird decision.

I’m just so completely baffled by that.

New players get them unlocked gradually over the course of the intro quests, is why. I don’t know what defines an “old player” but they get everything unlocked from the get-go except for the grenades that weren’t originally for their class.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

This is the first time I played D2 while a new expansion dropped (and bought it) and wow! This is so much fun! I don't have much time to play until about 10 days after now, but the 30 minutes I can play here and there are amazing. It's so much fun to play actual *new* stuff.

However, as a smashy Arc Titan, it looks like I need to completely re-evaluate my build.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i'm about to start leveling powerfuls this weekend (god help me) after being out of the game for 2 years

what's the new meta for crucible, i gotta go up some competitive ranks. Also is a mediocre console player on controller on PC going to get completely rinsed?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:thunk: the hive are stronger than we thought

https://i.imgur.com/vexsSQ2.mp4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This quest to craft throne world weapons is a pain in the rear end - I'm on a step to craft the AR and HGL - but they only drop from Wellspring, and rotate depending attack and defend, and then you also need 2 to drop with resonance so you can get a full pattern. A friend said seeing a drop from wellspring will add it to other drop pools but I haven't seen them from anything else yet.

Also I just noticed, the raid drops need 5 patterns to craft. Oof.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do more than nibble at this expansion yet but so far everything is good. The story, the characters, the loot, etc.

The myriad of new stasis legendary weapons is very welcome. So are all the improved void builds.

Only thing that throws me off is the weird dichotomy between the campaign missions and the patrol zones. I admit I am only at the beginning of chapter 2, but all the missions have been this super important, grave consequences thing and the patrol zone has (talking about the zone vendor and other things)wacky ghost antics, Like Immaru et al just decided yeah, let's give the light to the hive, those neon nerds won't stop us etc etc and Fynch acting like a weird conspiracy therocist. "I always wanted to work with the vanguard." So instead you decided to give the light to humanity's enemy? Maybe it is explained more later. Campaign is amazing though and having chests and upgrade cores is great (along w/ raid banner spots on normal at least). Also impressed w/ server uptime / login queues

Also I don't entirely get the popping ghosts thing. Why hasn't anyone done that to us before? Or is it only a human guardian that can do that? Because if I was a hive guardian i'd be popping vanguard ghosts left and right.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

This quest to craft throne world weapons is a pain in the rear end - I'm on a step to craft the AR and HGL - but they only drop from Wellspring, and rotate depending attack and defend, and then you also need 2 to drop with resonance so you can get a full pattern. A friend said seeing a drop from wellspring will add it to other drop pools but I haven't seen them from anything else yet.

Also I just noticed, the raid drops need 5 patterns to craft. Oof.

Don't worry, this isn't as bad as it seems. And don't bother farming Wellspring yet.

Keep upgrading your reputation with David Fynch and you'll eventually unlock higher difficulty Wellspring. Tarnation/Come to Pass will go from Uncommon to Guaranteed drops which will mean farming it for an hour instead of a day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If new lights open Shawn Ham's chest that costs 20k glimmer to open, they get...

A legacy legendary helmet that can't be infused and lists it's max light as 1260, even though it has a PL of 1350.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Verdugo posted:

Also I don't entirely get the popping ghosts thing. Why hasn't anyone done that to us before? Or is it only a human guardian that can do that? Because if I was a hive guardian i'd be popping vanguard ghosts left and right.

ThE lOrE SaYs that it's kind of verboten between risen/warlords/ironlords/guardians for no particular reason. And it's implied that Ghost's don't just sit staring blankly for 5/30 seconds when you die, they cloak and hide nearby until they power up enough Light juice to res you. Ghosts and Guardians do die all the time and it's sad which is lol lmao fuckl off ill permakill ever ghost and guardin i come across theiyr probably an idiot or an aasshole

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cayde got killed like an idiot and he was the least dumb of the vanguard. It’s a miracle there’s guardians still around.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Verdugo posted:

Ghosts get killed all the time. It just doesn’t happen to you because you’re The Guardian who is Built Different.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Built Ford Tough.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Ghosts get killed all the time. It just doesn’t happen to you because you’re The Guardian who is Built Different.

I mean from a gameplay perspective that makes sense. From a narrative perspective it always struck me odd how all of those idiot guardians got killed. I mean the Cabal had to use some weird thing to suppress Targe and we needed a special gun to destroy Sundance but somehow these other guardians drop like flies.

I'm a bit torn that we're personally destroying ghosts. At least they didn't give them voice lines during the finishing moves.

I should play the rest of the narrative to see how things play out, I'm sure my impression of guardians being the heroes and the bastion of all that is good under the light of the Traveler is flawed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the campaign storyline asks more questions than it answers but ultimately does leave me with the sense that things are not so cut & dry as CORCLE GUD TRONGLE BAD

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol if this leads to us becoming the next Fallen and the traveler peacess out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also no spoilers but the closing cinematic for the campaign is one of the spookiest and most menacing things I have literally ever seen and made me want to do a whole bunch of LSD really, really bad

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol if this leads to us becoming the next Fallen and the traveler peacess out

And we do the exact same thing and follow it for lightyears except we'll actually destroy they stupid thing when we find it.

I guess we can destroy the Pyramids also on the way, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY we gotta finally murk the orb.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just finished the campaign on legendary and I gotta say that doing it solo felt fair. Then again I was using lighting exploding rocket launcher titan which is kinda broken but still. When I was doing it on my hunter with my friends the enemies had WAY too much HP, so I do hope they tune it down a tad.

So my take away from it is/was the Traveler is kind of a selfish dick, the Witness is straight from Hellraiser, Mara is batshit crazy, we need more Crow and no one knows what is going on still.

Just made the SMG but didn't get a chance to use it yet. Grand Overture kinda sucks poo poo, not sure if the catalyst will make it any better but I kind of doubt it. Not a fan of the glaives, they don't really fit my playstyle.

Still pissed there is no catalyst for the Thorn :colbert:, this would have been the perfect time for it.

Overall, really liked the campaign! It was fun, enjoyable and most importantly it was interesting.

Edit:

The ornament for the Deathbringer is :krad:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 24, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

harrygomm posted:

So if ghosts can easily be destroyed, how did Saint 14 wade through armies of fallen, solo, and headbutt Solkis to death?
In fact, how did the hold out on the battle of the six fronts work where they just died and rezzed over and over and take out thousands of fallen without a single one of them going ‘alright gently caress whatever unwritten pact we have, we’re at war and we’re trying to kill them, their ghosts are fair game’

He keeps his ghost in his helmet

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It seems way more like they've just made an inconsistency for gameplay sake - or maybe Hive ghosts are just particularly careless and focus on rezzing their hive above self-preservation?

Something I'm not clear on after finishing the campaign: Why did the ghost that revived Savathun already look all hivey? I'm honestly still a bit confused what exactly is the deal with hive ghosts - Fynch makes it sound like they were a bunch of ghosts that were convinced to help the hive. But it almost feels like if ghosts can just choose to make anyone a risen, it's surprising we haven't seen Fallen guardians.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What is the base game campaign these days anyway? The red war from Vanilla D2? If I'm starting on a fresh account should I finish that up before deciding on whether to pick up Witch Queen and or Beyond Light? Did Bungie go back on removing content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
AFAICT, a ghost is just a composite of Light given sentience by Travis, and its shell seems to be purely cosmetic based on the Ghost’s preference. For the same reason that some people prefer the art of Todd McFarlane over the art of Jhonen Vasquez, it’s easy to imagine some ghosts would think chitin and spiked carapaces are more stylish than scrap metal or funny cat ears.