Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zero_Grade posted:

Then I felt bad about wasting food and donated to a local area food bank

I mentally inserted "it" into this sentence so it seemed like you donated the leftever puke potatoes to a food bank

Which would probably be criminal mischief if not outright terroristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or as my brother and I always referred to it, the used food store

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sekhmnet posted:

I want to try a sprouted coconut but they're like 30$

I want to try one so bad. I've seen people eat them on various survival shows and they all describe it as the most perfect coconut experience.

It looks like eating a memory foam pillow made out of young coconut, and as someone who fights the urge to eat my PLAIN flavored memory foam pillow, I'm here for it.

But I don't think I could find one even for $30 here in New England.

V V V Right? I also really want to try red dragonfruit...stores near me have the white variety and it's just flavorless, the red one actually looks like it tastes good. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Feb 24, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I were to travel more extensively in the future, it would ultimately be because I have a bucket list of fruits I want to try fresh and locally-harvested

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Nonono, it's supposed to be Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp! He's disrespect to traditional!!!!

:hmmyes: This person knows what's up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks like someone stuck a meringue in a coconut.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Activated almonds??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11CFEnCuIg

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I want to try one so bad. I've seen people eat them on various survival shows and they all describe it as the most perfect coconut experience.

It looks like eating a memory foam pillow made out of young coconut, and as someone who fights the urge to eat my PLAIN flavored memory foam pillow, I'm here for it.

But I don't think I could find one even for $30 here in New England.

V V V Right? I also really want to try red dragonfruit...stores near me have the white variety and it's just flavorless, the red one actually looks like it tastes good. V V V

There are loads of incredible tropical fruits that don't travel well, but dragon fruit of any variety is not among them. Lust after cherimoya instead!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Brawnfire posted:

I mentally inserted "it" into this sentence so it seemed like you donated the leftever puke potatoes to a food bank

Which would probably be criminal mischief if not outright terroristic
I'm pretty sure if I did that I'd get hauled off to the Hague, and hell, I'd deserve it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: sprouted coconuts, I've lived in Hawaii for the past 2.5 years and haven't heard anything about them.

but I'm going to look into it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Kenning posted:

Lust after cherimoya instead!

I tried a cherimoya once a few years ago, and I think must have been a combination of being in Ohio and that it must have been out of season, but it seemed like an expensive pear to me. I was disappointed, but I’m not going use my experience to say they are bad!

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I like dragonfruit, but it's very mild. Most of the ones I've had have been red, they taste sort of like a cross between a kiwi and a banana to me. If you can find them locally grown then they're pretty good, but if they have to be shipped to you I can imagine it's the most bland thing possible.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my local grocery store had, inexplicably, dragonfruit houseplants. I bought one. it's like a really flaccid cactus.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Empty Sandwich posted:

my local grocery store had, inexplicably, dragonfruit houseplants. I bought one. it's like a really flaccid cactus.

mods please change my name

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
meet new forums user Inexplicably, Dragonfruit

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I know it's funny to say but I'm pretty sure activated almonds is almonds left to soak overnight. They soften up and become easier to peel and nicer to eat. Also apparently they become more nutritious?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brawnfire posted:

Can you speak to the contribution of the sesame oil? Can you conjecture as to why it was included?

It's good as a finishing oil for lots of stir fried vegetables, potatoes included. I would never think to put it in mashed potatoes but of that list of poo poo it didn't seem like the weirdest part.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I tried a cherimoya once a few years ago, and I think must have been a combination of being in Ohio and that it must have been out of season, but it seemed like an expensive pear to me. I was disappointed, but I’m not going use my experience to say they are bad!

Honestly, "expensive pear" isn't too far off, although a perfectly ripe cherimoya has a custardy delicacy that is pretty special. That said, I've tried to carry them home like a middle school egg baby from the specialty market before and ended up with a gross bruised mush that was no good plenty of times, so it might not be something that is reasonable to eat if you live more than 20 yards from the tree. Alas.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It may've been overripe if it bruised that easily.
Still, it works great in ice cream and yogurt where you're gonna mash it up anyways.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

meet new forums user Inexplicably, Dragonfruit

I was thinking it would be Local Grocery Store

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Kenning posted:

Honestly, "expensive pear" isn't too far off, although a perfectly ripe cherimoya has a custardy delicacy that is pretty special. That said, I've tried to carry them home like a middle school egg baby from the specialty market before and ended up with a gross bruised mush that was no good plenty of times, so it might not be something that is reasonable to eat if you live more than 20 yards from the tree. Alas.

Yeah, that’s the thing, I didn’t get the custard-like consistency that they’re known for, so I missed out. The one I had didn’t bruise at all, but it wasn’t very ripe at all, which was the issue. Oh well. Maybe if I’m ever in California or something, idk

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hot dogs in a taco shell.. seems like it could work tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A much better method of combining cornmeal with hotdogs already exists

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Look, some of the hungover people seeing this at the dorm dining center are gonna love this.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I used to make these or hotdog wrapped in tortilla all the time back in the day when I lived in Michigan, was paralyzingly depressed, nocturnal and could not afford a lot of food. I used to call them depression dogs or poverty dogs. I occasionally crave them or pasta salad made with frozen mixed vegetables as that was the other food I would sometimes make.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hallo spacedog posted:

pasta salad made with frozen mixed vegetables as that was the other food I would sometimes make.

ah yes. the suffering succotash.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stay safe poverty dogs.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

I had forgotten I had been to two of those. It was always the really weird friend that organised a dinner there and the rest of us never understood why.

The last one I remembered without the prompt was going to one in Torrance, CA, and that was for a laugh.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There was a time I'd go to Outback Steakhouse for lunch about once a week.

Because they had an all-you-can eat soup & salad lunch deal and a potato soup and three+ caesar salads for less than :10bux: was solid.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Calorie Per Dollar List – Eat For 21 Dollars A Week
https://efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/

Ultimate Low Cost Healthy Food Guide – 44 Micro Nutrients Per Dollar – Data’s Best Foods
https://efficiencyiseverything.com/food-nutrition-per-dollar/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

You seem to be under the impression that the price was the primary factor.

Also lmao:

"No Grocery Store Needed"

only assuming you're directing this in my direction because you started with potato soup, no worries otherwise lol

stringless has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Feb 25, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FFT posted:

It's amazing, I just opened up my fridge, and there they were, chicken breasts, tortillas, cheese, and some olive oil! Nothing else though, guess we're just having the plain version.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Instacart shopper seeing 6 apples, 2 pears, 6 serrano peppers on the list: "nailed it."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FFT posted:

only assuming you're directing this in my direction because you started with potato soup, no worries otherwise lol

not at all, it was in response to a poverty food comment that included less starches than expected. because of course someone has min/maxed that whole question in the blandest way possible.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

FFT posted:

You seem to be under the impression that the price was the primary factor.

Also lmao:

Needs a cup of ranch

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

FFT posted:

Instacart shopper seeing 6 apples, 2 pears, 6 serrano peppers on the list: "nailed it."

Possible quantity issues aside, it looks like they just grabbed Asian pears instead of the regular kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Porfiriato posted:

Possible quantity issues aside, it looks like they just grabbed Asian pears instead of the regular kind?
They're supposed to be Asian pears, that's not the issue.

Clearly you've never touched a serrano pepper and then your face.