Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It would be a comically bloodthirsty plan

three letter agency mindset in action

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well according to yospos, joining the canadian military

i feel like this would accomplish even less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm still not sure how the whole "demilitarize and denazify ukraine, leave a more supportive government, quick n' easy" plan is supposed to go

Like if they annihilate Ukraine's military (artillery, air force, etc), won't that just leave the country up for grabs for whichever militia has the most guns (and the guns will pour in due to foreign backing) as soon as Russian forces leave? (or even before that, given Russia's track record fighting insurgencies) And if the nazi battallions did indeed pussyfoot it all the way back to Poland as soon as the war started (lol), they'd be in a prime position to increase their power as soon as the country became a free-for-all after the collapse of the central government. Who would even be part of the supposed "friendlier/puppet/client government" everyone's thinking of?

Like I just can't see the scenario where a ~regime change~ is a viable alternative that doesn't lead to an endless bog of an attrition war.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It's a war crime against the Geneva convention to go first. So you gotta do a big song and dance about how actually it's the other guy who went first

A little bit of warcrimes never stopped anyone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1496889104524451843

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well according to yospos, joining the canadian military

Gong to rewatch the ark scene from the indiana jones and consider if I really want to know what this is about.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Because no one in this forum has any power or agency about this situation other than trying to be correct and insulting other posters. The hell else is there to do here, dude?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all you can do is watch, hoot, and holler

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about it, and I’ll pull the papers on what we (Canada) were training Azov in, but is it possible that we were training a hard core of ideologically motivated ethnic nationalist militiamen with the idea that the Ukrainian Army would buckle and Azov would be “The Mujahideen” in that Afghanistan fantasy scenario the NatSec people have been chattering about?

Because that makes a lot of sense to me if all the diplomatic and policy signals suggest the goal was to bait Russia in. It may also explain why the only military aid was man portable AT/AA weapons. It would be a comically bloodthirsty plan, but Stingers and Javelins are the kind of weapons you’d give an insurgency, not a regular army hoping to stop a committed attack.

that and also to influence internal Ukraine politics via maintaining a set of activatable fascist cells in case there’s any meaningful hostility to capital or nato. zelenski’s actions make a lot more sense if he’s more afraid of forces from Ukraine than forces from Russia

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
guys i'm beginning to suspect humans are really stupid and are ultimately doomed to extinct themselves

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mastershakeman posted:

It's a war crime against the Geneva convention to go first. So you gotta do a big song and dance about how actually it's the other guy who went first

To be fair this goes all the way back to the Romans who insisted that conquering most of the known world was just a byproduct of a string of defensive wars

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pancake rabbit posted:

i've been in work meetings all morning and am very late to this but what is the strategic value in capturing what is arguably the most blighted unusable land on the face of the earth

not a rhetorical question i think i'm just dumb, is putin really trying to get an "i'll demolish the sarcophagus and turn all of continental europe into an irradiated wasteland" ace up his sleeve?

e: or is it because he thinks ukraine/nato would do something stupid with it, which honestly is much more believable

the chernobyl exclusion zone is much larger than the area actually affected by the disaster. most of it is just a nice nature park that's been open to tourists for a decade.

i very much doubt the seizure of it has anything much to do with the actual irradiated zone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
in case you were wondering what the general turkey hired to kidnap gulen thinks about this situation

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm still not sure how the whole "demilitarize and denazify ukraine, leave a more supportive government, quick n' easy" plan is supposed to go

Like if they annihilate Ukraine's military (artillery, air force, etc), won't that just leave the country up for grabs for whichever militia has the most guns (and the guns will pour in due to foreign backing) as soon as Russian forces leave? (or even before that, given Russia's track record fighting insurgencies) And if the nazi battallions did indeed pussyfoot it all the way back to Poland as soon as the war started (lol), they'd be in a prime position to increase their power as soon as the country became a free-for-all after the collapse of the central government. Who would even be part of the supposed "friendlier/puppet/client government" everyone's thinking of?

Like I just can't see the scenario where a ~regime change~ is a viable alternative that doesn't lead to an endless bog of an attrition war.

well if that RT story posted about Putin’s terms is right, it seems like regime change isn’t actually on the table

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Because no one in this forum has any power or agency about this situation other than trying to be correct and insulting other posters. The hell else is there to do here, dude?

Brown Moses emerged from this cesspool. Do not underestimate our power.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

they will be greeted as liberators (might actually be true in those provinces that tried to leave but nowhere else)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Is this supposed to be surprising? Just like the US is continuing its buying of Russian oil. Did this guy really set himself up to successfully predict something that was always going to happen?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

QUEER FRASIER posted:

why are people so attached to determining who is “justified” or “the bad guy” in regional geopolitical conflicts. what a bizarre way to conceptualize modern nation-states. you might as well watch a video of wild animals fighting and spend hours arguing about which animal is breaking the social contract

The Nation as a geopolitical unit is inherently bad, and the badness is especially concentrated in certain places like Russia's western border, mostly due to its geography and not the moral virtue of its leadership.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1496899631493570562

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

in case you were wondering what the general turkey hired to kidnap gulen thinks about this situation

The standup comic disagrees. Now is the time for unity in the face of Asian agression.

https://twitter.com/TimJDillon/status/1496871646271000577?s=20&t=b8ZjA2flfIpxXTR8_uj0eg

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Control Volume posted:

I also badly trained Afghan soldiers, and badly trained Canadian soldiers that trained Ukrainians.

This is all my fault.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Control Volume posted:

Gong to rewatch the ark scene from the indiana jones and consider if I really want to know what this is about.

Would recommend, it's very funny.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/UPL1FT/status/1496707126873534470

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ukranian media is now reporting that russia has landed 20 transport Helicopters in each of two airports, Hostomil and Gostomil looks like russia is building towards a decapitation strike.

Also America is planning to launch a massive cyberattack against russia so lol we're all gonna die for sure.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Where the gently caress is the white house in all this. Why hasn't Biden made a speech or something he only has a few hours till sundown

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

maybe Iran will assassinate Spider-Man and SpongeBob after all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Clear sky over Ukraine. Dima the bear emerges from hibernation at noon and casts no shadow over Chernobyl. Early spring for Russian friends making friendly call to Pripyat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1496904283190661126?t=jtvogQuTu8IwEH6yZaLaxg&s=19

Advisors are telling biden to commit acts of war lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Lmao Ukraine invasion is no big deal and yet simultaneously a massive indictment of Biden just amazing mental gymnastics within a single tweet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

try not to post obvious fake poo poo like this please.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Al-Saqr posted:

Also America is planning to launch a massive cyberattack against russia so lol we're all gonna die for sure.

You cannot call posting a cyberattack!!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

we love the cyber, don't we folks

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

why would AZOV defect to Russia aren't they the most hardline

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about it, and I’ll pull the papers on what we (Canada) were training Azov in, but is it possible that we were training a hard core of ideologically motivated ethnic nationalist militiamen with the idea that the Ukrainian Army would buckle and Azov would be “The Mujahideen” in that Afghanistan fantasy scenario the NatSec people have been chattering about?

Because that makes a lot of sense to me if all the diplomatic and policy signals suggest the goal was to bait Russia in. It may also explain why the only military aid was man portable AT/AA weapons. It would be a comically bloodthirsty plan, but Stingers and Javelins are the kind of weapons you’d give an insurgency, not a regular army hoping to stop a committed attack.

Ukraine is a flat loving field whose principal strategic value for Russia is simply the additional physical separation it provides. There is not going to be any Mujahedeen style insurgency, because there doesn't need to be any durable occupation--especially in the highly federalized post-invasion buffer state that would emerge after the disruption of the central government.

Which is not, of course, any guarantee against the smoothest brains in western natsec conceiving of something like that...

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe they can get my stolen csgo account back USA! USA! USA!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Morbus posted:

Well, Sweden/Finland are the obvious ones, where support--or at least consideration--of joining NATO had already been gradually increasing. But apart from that, this will increase the militarization of and defense spending in eastern European NATO states above what would have otherwise occurred.

I think you are right that Putin is trying to consolidate what he can, while he can. I'm not sure the urgency wrt Ukraine was really there, though. Despite posturing from the US and the ramblings of an idiot comedian-king, there was no way Ukraine was going to join NATO with ongoing territorial disputes. I think Putin has been growing frustrated with his options and diplomatic intransigence from the west, and has decided to just gamble now and deal with future problems later.

Sweden has come out and said that the invasion hasnt changed their views on this. Finland will likely not join either.

Honestly Russia/China benefit from countries being neutral. They are ok with engaging countries from a purely economical standpoint. They know that organizations like NATO are not just a defense pact, its an economic sphere that prevents them from engaging fully with countries that the US classifies as adversaries. Economic pressure from these organizations are meant to help destabilize the adversaries without actually going to war.

So, are sanctions and these sort of actions "justified" because they aren't technically war even though their purpose are the same?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

lolwut

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SexyBlindfold posted:

if the Ukrainian military is reduced to a pile of ashes (or close enough to it), then it has no hope of retaking Donetsk and Luhansk for the next however many years

if they can't retake Donetsk and Luhansk, then they can't join NATO

mission accomplished even if for whatever reason the government remains pro-Western

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Ukranian media is now reporting that russia has landed 20 transport Helicopters in each of two airports, Hostomil and Gostomil looks like russia is building towards a decapitation strike.

The cyber attack will accomplish jack, no one's going to start ww3 over Ukraine

then again I also thought there would be no invasion until Putin did his speech on THE NEO-RUSSIAN EMPIRE so who knows

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

not sure which is funnier, this or the black panther guy

either way lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

There's a non-zero chance this will disrupt the release of Elden Ring.