Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That'd be the Geneva Conventions. The day before Russia also broke the Minsk agreement by recognizing Donetsk/Luhansk as indepedent republics. The overall point is that pieces of paper are useless if one of the parties has no intention of being bound by them.

It also makes a big difference whether said party is a nuclear power with a UNSC veto or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 24, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Where are you generally located?

poo poo I dropped a few words that would make that make more sense, my bad.

Jaxyon posted:

Running into quite a few people on social media who seem to be under the impression that Russia has entered Ukraine to bravely fight the immense nazi forces of the azov batallion.

Propaganda sure works.

I have never met anyone in person who believes that.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Gripweed posted:

Literally nothing in that linked article says that the criminals were working at the behest of the Russian government. That you assume they are, based on nothing, is... interesting.

Russian cybercrime is enabled and encouraged both to dev tools and to increase load on strategic opponents. Most APT groups in Asia and EE are either intel agencies or shielded by the state in exchange for not striking local targets. The Russian state is deeply tied to organized crime at basically every level.

State vs crime gang is a sliding scale.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Be safe!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0838031a70055e

The UK is to impose its “largest ever” set of economic sanctions on Russia, including pushing to end Russia’s use of the Swift international payment systems, freezing assets of all major Russian banks, limiting cash held by Russian nationals in UK banks and sanctioning more than 100 individuals and entities, our chief political correspondent, Jessica Elgot, reports.

Guardian Reporting: "Boris Johnson has urged European leaders to agree that Russia’s use of the major payments system should be suspended, making the argument in a call with the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, and in a meeting of G7 leaders. The move is likely to be resisted by EU countries"

Or is Boris just putting on a performative show with no intention of really going after SWIFT? Unless perhaps Biden does something of equal measure?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Threat Maps have been lighting up more than I've ever seen today. At least since I've been in the cybersecurity world. Please be mindful over the next few months folks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Russian cybercrime is enabled and encouraged both to dev tools and to increase load on strategic opponents. Most APT groups in Asia and EE are either intel agencies or shielded by the state in exchange for not striking local targets. The Russian state is deeply tied to organized crime at basically every level.

State vs crime gang is a sliding scale.

Wasn't there a whole thing where someone figured out you could prevent a whole bunch of ransomware floating around from attacking your computer by just installing a Russian language pack in Windows?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

That'd be the Geneva Conventions. The day before Russia also broke the Minsk agreement by recognizing Donetsk/Luhansk as indepedent republics. The overall point is that pieces of paper are useless if one of the parties has no intention of being bound by them.

You're ignoring that those "pieces of paper" are meant to hold a former world superpower, and a nuclear state, in check. It's not exactly a trivial thing to get them to the table and sign a treaty like that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wouldn't SWIFT suspension lead to Russia declaring more open war?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nenonen posted:

Maybe Nato should send troops to secure western Ukraine, also western part of Kyiv. Divide it into US, British and French sectors maybe.

I think you know this is insane and is pretty much openly going to war right?

SourKraut posted:

No, Putin had almost certainly studied all possible economic actions possible and is prepared to eat all of them over this. Otherwise, if cutting Russia from the financial system was a red line, it would have been explicitly stated in the speech where he warns against interference

MikeC fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 24, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Biden currently on the podium speaking.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Random Integer posted:

The thing that always struck me about cyberattacks on infrastructure is, why is critical infrastructure even connected to the internet? Like most power stations have been around for decades, presumably they were able to operate just fine without an internet connection in the past, what advantage was there in hooking them up? Id have thought most govts would mandate no public network connections for critical infrastructure given how obviously vulnerable it makes them.

It's also possible to take things down that are never Internet connected, like the Iranian centrifuges. The computers were on an intranet and the Israelis (and CIA?) were able to take them out anyway. Cylons don't need the Internet to gently caress poo poo up; an Intranet will work just fine. I guess you could try running without even an Intranet, but that sound pretty complicated and any time outside of cyberwarfare would be way more expensive and probably more error and damage-prone.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

External Organs posted:

Not in the military myself but I do work in healthcare and it's the same way. Many of the amazing nurses I know are in their early twenties. It's wild. Also, I am 36 today and this is the worst birthday ever.

Keep your chin up, happy birthday :)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Biden is speaking now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a historical joke...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SourKraut posted:

It would lead to a number of countries more seriously looking for an alternative to Swift if nothing else. If they succeded, it would end up being a pretty big L for the US and Europe.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MikeC posted:

read it again and think about to history class, lmao

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

It would lead to a number of countries more seriously looking for an alternative to Swift if nothing else. If they succeded, it would end up being a pretty big L for the US and Europe.

Yeah, I'm sure countries would love to find an alternative to the current international banking standard that connects them to the rest of the world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Minsk agreement wasn't a legally binding treaty, and had already fallen apart in 2015, though. As for the Geneva Conventions, you're correct there, but that's a set of treaties that has unfortunately been put through the shredder many, many times over the past century, by basically every major power. My point is not to suggest that a treaty "guaranteeing" Ukraine's neutrality would definitively stop further Russian interference; it almost certainly wouldn't. But at the very least it would hopefully constrain it more in the future than a non-binding "gentleman's agreement," which is what Budapest was, ever could. Really the best Ukraine can hope for at this point is Finlandization. That sucks. It's grotesque, it's atrocious, it's a genuine war crime that a country would deprive another country of its ability to set its own policies in such a way, and rob its people of their sovereignty. gently caress the Russian state, gently caress Putin, gently caress their imperialist aspirations. But we need to be realistic about the possible outcomes from this conflict. There are no good and likely ones to be found.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

They're doing a bit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
You can watch the Biden speech here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terebus posted:

Yeah, I'm sure countries would love to find an alternative to the current international banking standard that connects them to the rest of the world.

China in particular would love to replace it with a standard not dominated by the US, yes. And if a country like Russia could be dropped, so would a bunch of other countries. It wouldn't be easy or overnight, but using organizations the rest of the world relies upon to conduct US foreign policy obviously reduces their legitimacy in much of the rest of the world.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1496892255805878280

...yyyyup, the oligarchs aren't happy. I've watched Russia for a long time and I haven't seen anything like this since the early 00s.

This reaaaallly was not in the plan for old Vlad

Things seem to be going belly up real fast

What is "gently caress about, Find out?" In Russian?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

apropos of nothing I love the WH ASL interpreter, she goes hard

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well this seems like a big deal on the US side.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ukraine embassy Warsaw. Few hundred people, lots of Ukrainians and Belorussians.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 24, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

I have never met anyone in person who believes that.

Yeah if I met somebody in person who started going off about "Ukrainian nazis" or NATO I would walk away pretty loving quick.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sinteres posted:

Do you think that would be likely to remain contained and not lead to blowback against innocents in both countries? Like the US could also launch missiles at only the Russian elites but I suspect it wouldn't end there, so why would launching cyber attacks against them end there?

Is there any possible way that you think that places like the UK and the US should retaliate against what Russia is doing in Ukraine?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Well, those were some weak-rear end sanctions. Looking forward to the Russian stock market bouncing back tomorrow.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

SourKraut posted:

Russia as in the country that just brazenly invaded a neighbor in a land grab?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey all. Sorry to ask for a brief break in people arguing what is and isn't a cyber war and such but being all the way in North America and seeing the hosed up poo poo happening in Ukraine got me wondering if there are any agencies or charities in Ukraine worth donating to at the moment. I am guessing Red Cross will probably be the best one to send a little bit of money to but are there any others to send a donation to, just to give the appearance of helping at least.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Madkal posted:

Hey all. Sorry to ask for a brief break in people arguing what is and isn't a cyber war and such but being all the way in North America and seeing the hosed up poo poo happening in Ukraine got me wondering if there are any agencies or charities in Ukraine worth donating to at the moment. I am guessing Red Cross will probably be the best one to send a little bit of money to but are there any others to send a donation to, just to give the appearance of helping at least.

There's another stickied thread in the forum with charities. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Madkal posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

If you haven't already seen it, there's a thread stickied to the top of D+D. If those aren't to your liking I'm sure quite a few people will chime in with some orgs of their own.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Madkal posted:

There's a stickied thread for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

China in particular would love to replace it with a standard not dominated by the US, yes. And if a country like Russia could be dropped, so would a bunch of other countries. It wouldn't be easy or overnight, but using organizations the rest of the world relies upon to conduct US foreign policy obviously reduces their legitimacy in much of the rest of the world.

China is economically intertwined to the US to the point that they would probably create a system to exclusively bank with the US if anything happened to SWIFT. It's not like Russia is just being dropped randomly, or "to conduct US foreign policy". This is an international agreement in response to an aggressive state invading a sovereign nation. The US isn't the sole nation that is responding to this, and a US centered view on this situation is... short sighted at best.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

has anyone found any decent twitters or lifestreams yet

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Looks like report was off.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/1496918336562737165

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1496921859241172992

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://downdetector.ca/status/twitter/

Twitter going down can't be a coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

MasterSitsu posted:

https://downdetector.ca/status/twitter/

Twitter going down can't be a coincidence?

I mean, it 100% can.