Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems like we've got a solid argument that America's decline is definitely a net ill for peace and stability around the world. A single carrier battlegroup could bring the Russian invasion to its knees in under an hour. It seems like the only reason why Russia can win at all is because its fighting a country much weaker than it, and even still it seems like a 50/50 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

MasterSitsu posted:

https://downdetector.ca/status/twitter/

Twitter going down can't be a coincidence?

It's also not down across the board; it's working for me currently

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

MasterSitsu posted:

https://downdetector.ca/status/twitter/

Twitter going down can't be a coincidence?

It's up for me right now.

The chuds on my FB feed are defending this "liberation of Ukraine", but they aren't many thankfully.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1496919377802891265?s=20&t=QdN9wTkWFeLp6kPIzdbtBg

https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1496921860939948036

situation is confused to say the least

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems like we've got a solid argument that America's decline is definitely a net ill for peace and stability around the world. A single carrier battlegroup could bring the Russian invasion to its knees in under an hour. It seems like the only reason why Russia can win at all is because its fighting a country much weaker than it, and even still it seems like a 50/50 thing.

There is no way the US would send even one carrier group to engage Russia unless it's a NATO ally, Japan, or the US itself.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Raenir Salazar posted:

A carrier battle group where? Carriers aren't allowed in the black sea.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

A Ukrainian General has declared that the initial Russian invasion has failed on the first day.
But I dare not believe anything at this point.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Morrow posted:

There's another stickied thread in the forum with charities. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Thanks and thanks to others that also posted the sticky thread. Didn't see it and have now donated.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

A single carrier battlegroup could bring the Russian invasion to its knees in under an hour.
In under an hour it wouldn't have finished SEAD/DEAD strikes along one axis of attack. There is a 0% chance that a single carrier battlegroup could stop this invasion by itself with any amount of time, even dropping tactical nukes.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Shes Not Impressed posted:

A Ukrainian General has declared that the initial Russian invasion has failed on the first day.
But I dare not believe anything at this point.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1496921478721327110

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I uh... do not think that it necssarily could, or that this would stop the russian invasion as much as escalate it into a world war...

Russia is not a country which is fundamentally incapable of attacking a carrier in the fashion that every other country the US has fought in the last several decades have been, it still has access to a lot of soviet weapons designed to obliterate carrier groups, the US in all likelihood would not let one of their very expensive aircraft carriers go anywhere near them in a combat role.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

???

I think the only source I actually trust is the Ukranians at this point, just :wtc:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terebus posted:

China is economically intertwined to the US to the point that they would probably create a system to exclusively bank with the US if anything happened to SWIFT. It's not like Russia is just being dropped randomly, or "to conduct US foreign policy". This is an international agreement in response to an aggressive state invading a sovereign nation. The US isn't the sole nation that is responding to this, and a US centered view on this situation is... short sighted at best.

Just the US and their treaty allies/military dependencies doesn't make it much more neutral in a global sense. And yeah, China of course needs a way to do business with the US, but it's not like the rest of the world has shown a great willingness to forego economic activity with China either. If China believes the US ability to use Swift to cut it off from the rest of the world is a critical threat to its prosperity, it'll presumably at least prioritize a system that allows for bilateral relationships under a different system, and ideally one that ultimately gains enough market share to be a viable alternative/replacement more generally. I'm not a finance wizard so maybe there are subtleties I'm missing here, but China's certainly not the only country with concerns about overbearing US economic policy (see third party sanctions against Iran), so I think they could find some takers as American willingness to weaponize international financial institutions became increasingly clear.

khwarezm posted:

Is there any possible way that you think that places like the UK and the US should retaliate against what Russia is doing in Ukraine?

What's done is done, but I think the removal of previous sanctions should have been on the table before the crisis, so there were carrots involved instead of just sticks. In principle there are probably specific sanctions that make sense, even if there's very little to show that they actually work as an instrument of coercion (as opposed to collective punishment), but targeted action against oligarchs (especially those residing in or heavily invested in each country) sounds good to me. Third party stuff is always dodgy, but if they can turn the screws on Cyprus to take action against offshore Russian money, I think that would definitely be a good thing too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Biden mumbles when on the teleprompter, but his answers are good.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds like their big focus should be taking back that Antonov Airport to avoid getting Paris in 1940'd

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, let's just wait a month or two to find out if these were good sanctions or not.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A dude actually criticizing Putin to his face on live tv (that he scheduled?!?) seems like a sign.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If Russia actually did lose that airport, they massively hosed up, but it wouldn't be too surprising since they don't seem to have been able to meaningfully reinforce it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A cyberwar with Russia is a lot scarier than most people seem to let on. A bunch of trolls “accidentally” disrupted the gas pipeline in a portion of the East coast briefly which led to widespread panic and a near gas shortage.

Imagine what freezing up the gas pipelines in the US completely would look like? This is hardly limited to email leaks or R&D disruptions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

At this point both sides are engaged in psy-ops. You can make the argument, that the "West" briefing out that Kiev will fall in hours because they know it will not and can serve as a symbol of resistance... or it might fall.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Do we know who this senior official is or is this like when Trump would do the "Sources close to Trump familar with Trump's thinking say"...

Because who the hell would Bloomberg be talking to?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OwlFancier posted:

I uh... do not think that it necssarily could, or that this would stop the russian invasion as much as escalate it into a world war...

Russia is not a country which is fundamentally incapable of attacking a carrier in the fashion that every other country the US has fought in the last several decades have been, it still has access to a lot of soviet weapons designed to obliterate carrier groups, the US in all likelihood would not let one of their very expensive aircraft carriers go anywhere near them in a combat role.

The CBG thing is just insane fantasy. Ignoring the extremely relevant and practical realities of both the Montreaux convention and the inherent escalation involved with putting the US Navy in the midst of the shooting, Russian naval aviation spent decades attempting to solve the "how do I kill a CBG?" problem and I wouldn't bet against them having some pretty decent concepts worked out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

punk rebel ecks posted:

A cyberwar with Russia is a lot scarier than most people seem to let on. A bunch of trolls “accidentally” disrupted the gas pipeline briefly which led to widespread panic and a near gas shortage.

Imagine what freezing up the gas pipelines in the US completely would look like? This is hardly limited to email leaks or R&D disruptions.

It would absolutely suck but doing something similar to Russia would basically cripple its economy since they are extremely fuel focused.

Which is probably why it hasn't happened yet.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

This whole situation is highlighting how incredibly fast modern warfare has become in the 21st century. Talking about the fall of the capital of Ukraine less than 24 hours after hostilities began. Like even during the famously rapid fall of France in WW2 it took a few weeks before the Nazis were able to take Paris.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BoldFace posted:

Yeah, let's just wait a month or two to find out if these were good sanctions or not.

Bojo seemed more specific than Biden. Still not sure exactly what specifically we're sanctioning, nor how the cumulative effect would be "worse" than a SWIFT denial.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

A cyberwar with Russia is a lot scarier than most people seem to let on. A bunch of trolls “accidentally” disrupted the gas pipeline briefly which led to widespread panic and a near gas shortage.

But what's unknown so far is just what the US is capable of unleashing. They haven't done much in the way of the wanton, criminal sabotage that have been attributed to Russians, state sponsored or not. This might give the impression that they aren't capable of it and it might mean that large swathes of Russian society isn't hardened against broad attacks.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Will someone answer the poor reporters? Why *NOT* sanction Putin directly? And what does that even look like?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

If Russia actually did lose that airport, they massively hosed up, but it wouldn't be too surprising since they don't seem to have been able to meaningfully reinforce it.

Yeah, it seems like a reasonable longshot chance (that still may have worked, who knows what the actual situation is)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was thinking earlier that we haven't even seen the typical videos posted of AA fire over a capital city like Kiev. It's certainly very possible Ukrainian air-power/defense has been neutralized at this point. I'm sure that was a major Russian objective.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

the popes toes posted:

Bojo seemed more specific than Biden. Still not sure exactly what specifically we're sanctioning, nor how the cumulative effect would be "worse" than a SWIFT denial.

I don't know why Biden can't just answer honestly, "I want to get rid of SWIFT access, but several European allies said no."

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

I don't know why Biden can't just answer honestly, "I want to get rid of SWIFT access, but several European allies said no."

You know exactly why if that's the case.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

For anyone with WFH status like me, or has time on their hands here is related media from Frontline back in 2017.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/putins-revenge/

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Vaginaface posted:

Will someone answer the poor reporters? Why *NOT* sanction Putin directly? And what does that even look like?

Confiscating his NFT apes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I don’t think Putin understands that the United States, Great Britain, and France are also “powerful nuclear states.” Who does he think he’s threatening with that sort of talk?

Mutually assured destruction is still a thing, he might as well be threatening to glass all of Russia over Ukraine.

He’s either an idiot, crazy, or both.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kaddish posted:

I was thinking earlier that we haven't even seen the typical videos posted of AA fire over a capital city like Kiev. It's certainly very possible Ukrainian air-power/defense has been neutralized at this point. I'm sure that was a major Russian objective.

I'm not a military guy but with the advent of Manpads and how easy they are to conceal in an urban setting I'm not really sure its possible anymore to say that all AA capabilities are quashed.

Vehicles and such sure but yeah.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

khwarezm posted:

This whole situation is highlighting how incredibly fast modern warfare has become in the 21st century. Talking about the fall of the capital of Ukraine less than 24 hours after hostilities began. Like even during the famously rapid fall of France in WW2 it took a few weeks before the Nazis were able to take Paris.

Well that and how quick information can cross the globe. Airport is taken, Airport is taken back, no wait... in WW2 you'd have a news article talking about the things going on the last X amount of time. Now it's instantaneous which is dizzying.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

He said that wasn't what the alliance agreed on, which could imply that, but yeah he could've been more direct.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kaddish posted:

Presumably those cruise missile strikes at the start of the invasion were targeting those systems

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

GaussianCopula posted:

At this point both sides are engaged in psy-ops. You can make the argument, that the "West" briefing out that Kiev will fall in hours because they know it will not and can serve as a symbol of resistance... or it might fall.
Or if it doesn't fall, that would seem like Russian underperforming expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t think Putin understands that the United States, Great Britain, and France are also “powerful nuclear states.” Who does he think he’s threatening with that sort of talk?

Mutually assured destruction is still a thing, he might as well be threatening to glass all of Russia over Ukraine.

He’s either an idiot, crazy, or both.

I'm pretty sure his speech prior to the invasion shows he's nuts.