Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

You can argue all you want that there’s been no progress, but here’s proof there is progress!

Feature released initially totally broken, now sort of works

When you think about how all this took only 2 years, it really makes you wonder what these never ever FUDsters are smoking. In another 2 years, I’d be surprised if there aren’t more new broken features we are all whining about, but that’s just what we do, right? Whine that there aren’t enough things to do… and then when they’re put into the game, we just whine about how they don’t work. We’re just never satisfied, are we? CIG is truly damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

It’s no wonder why they’ve stopped responding to posts on Spectrum calling for a return of the roadmap. And why they’ve stopped responding to my texts and voicemails and also I asked my friend to message them on Facebook cuz I think they accidentally blocked me, but so far they haven’t responded idk maybe it’s like a Fb bug I guess.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is if you have the contact information for anyone who works at CIG, DM me because I have som really good ideas and all the negativity from y’all is making them accidentally block me too!

e:

.random fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It took Rockstar 8 years to make RDR2 and that was with an established studio and game engine. Chris Roberts had to invent the microchip from a pile of sand so it's actually pretty impressive how far along the game is.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

Behold doubters! Gaze upon the list of never-been-done-before features delivered timely and on a shoestring budget!

I think that's fine.

Not 10 years of development fine, though.

And none of the crazy promises have been met successfully. Nobody ever said building generic fight man or arcade flight sim stuff was impossible or difficult.

But victories abound. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If I recall, "working missiles" wasn't a Kickstarter promise.

100 star systems was though.

"Working respawning" wasn't a goal either.

A fully functional Command and Conquer/Homeworld system on the bridge of your mega yacht was though.

"De sync is reduced" wasn't a major milestone.

1000's of players playing a twitch game in a singular world where servers meshed together and you could fire a bullet across multiple servers and kill a guy inside another ship was promised.

But sure... I guess we're like making leaps and bounds of progress towards the promise of star citizen, one small decade at a time. :cheerdoge:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Respawning works

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Popete posted:

It took Rockstar 8 years to make RDR2 and that was with an established studio and game engine. Chris Roberts had to invent the microchip from a pile of sand so it's actually pretty impressive how far along the game is.

We powered sand and rocks with lightning and taught them how to think.
Sadly star citizen backers were beyond even our reach.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Novaspectra posted:

Maybe I can help? I work in post-production - mostly editing and motion graphics/animation. Produced documentary work for HBO recently. I love your series, and follow the SC story pretty closely and would be happy to be involved in some way. Get in touch, lets talk.

Lord have mercy, did we just witness a miracle?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can make text spin around

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Dr. Honked posted:

The news about damp eyeballs in SC is making my semi-closed wallet gently open again, maybe I'll buy another Idris after all

You are right in being careful with sudden movements, or CI~G devs will be distracted and another month of dev time will be lost.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

If I recall, "working missiles" wasn't a Kickstarter promise.

100 star systems was though.

"Working respawning" wasn't a goal either.

A fully functional Command and Conquer/Homeworld system on the bridge of your mega yacht was though.

"De sync is reduced" wasn't a major milestone.

1000's of players playing a twitch game in a singular world where servers meshed together and you could fire a bullet across multiple servers and kill a guy inside another ship was promised.

But sure... I guess we're like making leaps and bounds of progress towards the promise of star citizen, one small decade at a time. :cheerdoge:

They refactored all those promises, though; now the only promise they make is that they will keep whatever money you give them. If you think you're going to get something, or anything, for that money, that's your problem, not theirs. They've already overdelivered and shamed all the big publishers with how much they've gotten done in the past ten years, but all these content locusts and crusty old FUDsters and salty backers won't accept that!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

quote:

I've been with the project since 2014

quote:

i've been here since the start.

:confused:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Cool your nipple jets!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

I am as capable as Ryan Archer (a professional) at copy/pasting stuff.

.random
May 7, 2007

The project started in 2020. So I guess they should have said “I’ve been following the project 6 years before it started.”

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

All these claims of things working ... Yet I watched old mate jacks heavily edited play and it clearly is not.

Cargo works
so long as your box is not vibrating
You are on a fresh sever
The chair doesnt kill you
Ect
Ect

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

They refactored all those promises, though; now the only promise they make is that they will keep whatever money you give them. If you think you're going to get something, or anything, for that money, that's your problem, not theirs. They've already overdelivered and shamed all the big publishers with how much they've gotten done in the past ten years, but all these content locusts and crusty old FUDsters and salty backers won't accept that!

Having moved the goalposts so much has been half the fun though.

At this point the goalposts are at barely being able to make a functional video game.

They should issue refunds to anybody who wants one who feels their particular promise was not upheld.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mellow_ posted:

drat, guy is really just milking anything for cash now.

When you carve out a niche that seems near guaranteed to stay relevant only for it to go and just slit its own throat, you end up in a desperate place

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

There's this dude Sajmonation that makes fun simracing/Dirt Rally 2.0 vids and clips that remind me of yours. Here's an example:

sound
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VagueOnlyCutworm-mobile.mp4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

There's this dude Sajmonation that makes fun simracing/Dirt Rally 2.0 vids and clips that remind me of yours. Here's an example:

sound
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VagueOnlyCutworm-mobile.mp4

That's advanced text moving, I can only do spinning really :(

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

Exactly so! Well said!

So tired of the perma-cynics draining the joy out of everything.

A major milestone - that just works - is one 'they' insisted we would NEVER get while CIG could still make money - renting or buying ships in the game for in-game currency. A real sense of achievement and progression for those who don't have a fortune to spend.

Pardon, using in-game currency to do in-game transactions is a major milestone?
Every modern-ish RPG has accomplished this over the last 30 years.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

That's advanced text moving, I can only do spinning really :(

That's basically all you need

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
*Like half the people that went to see Wing Commander did so to see the trailer for the phantom menace.

It's Like Poetry, They Rhyme

marumaru
May 20, 2013

to silence the fudsters once and for all, saying there's "unplayable framerates" in SC
i can clearly infer movement from these frames!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

Surely 40

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fidelitious posted:

Isn't even limited to RPGs really.

Kid Icarus came out in 1987 had in-game currency and transactions, and included a credit card if you were short on cash, so that's 35 years right there.

Ghostbusters for the Atari 2600 let you buy cars, upgrades, and consumables in 1984, so that's 38 years.

Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari 2600 had a market to buy gear, including a black market which required bartering, that was in 1982, we're up to 40 years.

Zork came out in 1980 and it might be a stretch to call this a transaction, but there was one spot in the game where transferring items between the player and an NPC was a critical strategy to move forward, so now we're at 42 years.

There have to be earlier examples. It must be really hard to write code that makes one variable go down at the same time another goes up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nethack came out in 1987 with shops you could get store credit in, and steal from if you could get away from the psychopath shopkeep alive

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Russians are going to be frozen out of foreign banks and financial institutions all over the place after the events of this morning. So, expect a record month and year for SC "donations" (wink, wink)!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Russians are going to be frozen out of foreign banks and financial institutions all over the place after the events of this morning. So, expect a record month and year for SC "donations" (wink, wink)!

LOL those money laundering washing machines will be going full spin cycle, think of all the Idrises flying no-clipping out the door

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

If you're one of those who makes 10x threads per day and you're too lazy to read this - you are the problem... you are the noise.

Proper feedback is more about what it is not:
Unnecessarily hyperbolic - words like 'Never' or completion time estimates beyond a reasonable limit. Comments like this:

quote:

...come back in twenty years when we hit internal beta.
..are no less outrageously hyperbolic and unrealistic than Chris saying 'Weeks not months'. Therefore dividing an appraisal of progress into two extremes - their view of Chris' disingenuously hyperbolic estimates that apparently can only be countered by the salty-type equally extreme but opposite hyperbole. This leaves the community generally uninformed since you can't take anybody seriously when they are all trying to be comedians playing "Gotcha!" games. They are just sniping at and derailing threads for amusement that try to take information from many sources and the evidence of our eyes and turning it into an 'us against them' farce - those accusers are equally as guilty of brushing off any dissention from their views with dismissive attitudes and comments... and what is their main complaint against CIG? They don't take us seriously! Why should they, you don't take anyone else seriously -I see this as hypocrisy insisting CIG are guilty of the thing they are doing all the drat time.

Chris will not answer extremist views he respects active creative output, not noisy opinion-mongers, he will not answer childish 'But you said! You said!' complaints, so if you fill the forums with such inanity what does anyone expect the adults in the room to do? There is no reasoning with emotional outbursts that don't take account of evidence or reality.

Talking about money raised as though it is some 'right of the individual' to information not normally available from a game developer is pointless - it ignores the reality that CIG communicate an order of magnitude more than any other game developer, it wasn't the individual demanding attention that raised all that money no matter how much they would like to think CIG's success is based upon the generosity of a few dozen entitled attention seekers pissed off that they don't get their names mentioned in CIG community content videos anymore. The current offering from CIG - no matter how bored or disillusioned you may have become with it - is what is driving new people to come to the project, any appraisal that ignores that or denies that fact cannot be taken seriously.

Minimising CIG's current achievements and suggesting that 'Nothing has been done repeatedly in the face of published facts' - more unreasonably negative hyperbole - is not productive or constructive. No-one who resorts to an extreme position in a discussion should be taken seriously, not by CIG and not by the community as a whole. There is no point in engaging with such entrenched partisan views that ignore reality and the evidence of their own eyes. They never bring up to date evidence for people to form their own opinion from, they bring old memes and attitude to bang on about how they 'feel'. The Fox News version 'this is what you should think!'. If there is one thing they cannot reasonably argue with it's that when CIG released videos of work in progress features to come it IS an accurate representation of what will make it into the game eventually.

CIG HAVE released a major new landing zone into the game every 18 months roughly, even if it had a dependencies on technology currently in R&D (OCS, SOCS etc) with plenty of other game updates and content in between, denying that cadence is unreasonable - it ignores evidence. It doesn't matter what the 'stamp our feet and put our fingers in our ears' crowd think, the evidence of frequency of past output is there. I can complain forever about the reliability of a bus company, but if the buses arrive at regular as clockwork intervals I really don't have a good case for my complaints. Pyro - by their previous performance (something the perma-negative crowd insist we can ONLY judge CIG on) is due to get into the game around October/November of this year since Crusader/Orison arrived last August, and microTech was 19 months before that. That's the reality, not the partisan political party of CIG-haters talking point agenda - 'this is what you should think' reality. When Jared says that Pyro is 'on course' this is what he is talking about, in 5 years they haven't missed an 18 month major landing zone content drop by more than a few weeks. The CIG-haters insist we must look at past performance rather than listen to anything Chris or the community says - we can agree on that! - BUT they completely ignore the past performance in favour of pushing their negative propagandist views.

Those who follow the project and don't hold a perma-negative near hatred of CIG can see that progress is being made, of course it is never going to be as fast as we would like, but it is there. I see people who follow other games take far less information and spin it up into also sorts of theory-crafted notions about release dates and predictions of scope of a games content, yet here we are with more information than most can even hope to keep a handle on - and still have a life of their own to live - and yet the perma-negative crowd jump all over anyone who even remotely tries to suggest that things may be happening that give a positive outlook.

I don't generally post on threads offering an opinion on the game as it is currently released - everyone is entitled to their own opinion and has their own experience, I will gently mock the childish tantrum occasionally however, where I generally post is on threads that want to spread one message and one message alone CIG Baaaaddd!! Deliberately and persistently ignoring or down-playing all evidence that is freely available to anyone if they took the time to go look.

Constantly harping on about about what Chris said years ago is not constructive - it is 'But you SAID!' - childlike. He gave his best (some say somewhat optimistic) estimate at a time when he had a lot less information, people forget that the community is a part of the equation. Chris takes his cues from the support given to him by the community, if the project has expanded it is not his fever dream, it is him respecting our dream as well as his. That's what gets up my nose, the perma-negative crowd dismiss the contributions of the community and insist it is ALL ABOUT CHRIS ROBERTS! That ceased to be the case back in 2015. The argument 'I don't want it! therefore it is feature creep and wasteful!' doesn't mean that others didn't ask for (nay beg for) that thing you don't want.

Calling Chris a liar, calling the development team incompetent or lazy, stamping your feet and insulting everyone who has a different view to yours IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU (or anyone else) THE GAME ANY FASTER. Insisting we 'Defund CIG' (the salty-hater we don't get our names mentioned anymore crowd's main talking point of all talking points) ignores that the majority of the money comes from new backers who don't read your hyperbolic crap, and is ultimately pointless, all you are doing is trying to poison the well for those already present.

They say misery loves company, but that only applies when the miserables are narcissists who believe that their experience is the only experience to be allowed. I don't like it, so you can't like it either!', 'I don't trust them, so you can't trust them either!'. 'Don't look at that! I'm going to force you to listen to what I tell you to look at!' ...what is that other than gaslighting? They want to hold Chris and CIG to ransom over every word they have ever uttered from years ago, yet they conveniently want us to forget all the negative failed predictions and crap they spewed year after year. Ignore the historical evidence of their behaviour - more gaslighting. The difference is - and it's a huge difference! - we get something from CIG at least, we get absolutely NOTHING from the haters except annoying noise. Too many are falling for this loud, constant CIG Baaaadddd!! poo poo... but of course some of us know that is when they are most convinced they are winning. Like a child's logic that makes 'But why, but why, but why, but why..' seem reasonable the logic of 'But when, but when, but when, but when..' can only be met by the adult response - When it's done.

When you are reading these perma-negative snide comments about CIG performance-stuff just ask yourself, Qui bono? Who benefits if what they say is true?
No-one! If their fever dream of Chris Roberts ultimate failure and CIG destruction comes true what are they going to give you for your loyalty to their talking points? Nothing but a big fat Bye Bye!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
according to monocle cat, 5 years is a reasonable timescale for Pyro.

5 years * 99 additional systems = 495 years ?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

cmdrk posted:

according to monocle cat, 5 years is a reasonable timescale for Pyro.

5 years * 99 additional systems = 495 years ?

No, no.

You see after they've got the first two systems done they'll have all the tools and pipelines done and they'll really start pumping out content. Probably about a system a week, which means that we can look forward to Star Citizen releasing sometime in 2024.

The sad part is I'm sure some backer has claimed this.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

What a weapons grade tool goddamn

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Maybe I'm a big ol' silly, and I promise I did try to read all that nonsense but my mind kept slipping off it.

I can't tell what the cat person is even blithering about. What's his beef? Who is the message aimed at? What is he hoping to achieve by writing walls of text about a failed videogame?

Surely someone here knows and can put it in a paragraph in plain English? I can't do it, I have to deal with this whole eye-filling-with-blood thing.

.random
May 7, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

Maybe I'm a big ol' silly, and I promise I did try to read all that nonsense but my mind kept slipping off it.

I can't tell what the cat person is even blithering about. What's his beef? Who is the message aimed at? What is he hoping to achieve by writing walls of text about a failed videogame?

Surely someone here knows and can put it in a paragraph in plain English? I can't do it, I have to deal with this whole eye-filling-with-blood thing.

Without knowing where any of his posts are posted, what I gather is that he basically posts in any thread that mentions something negative about CIG or asks when some content will be delivered.

His target audience is the.. erm.. “real backers” who might be wooed by the obviously hyperbolic claims that 10 years of minimal progress towards making an actual game is “too long,” and he believes that he is helping save the game because that sort of negativity is a self-fulfilling spiral of death. Negativity begets less support. Less support begets less funding. Less funding begets a canceled game.

Essentially, he is the savior of Star Citizen.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

My theory is that he’s paid for as an astroturfer but so fed up with the CIG bullshit that he keeps sneaking some jokes in, like that Chris Roberts is a movie director.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Monocle Cat really putting the effort post work in there to definitively prove that people still backing this shitshow aren’t raving lunatics.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Here is a joke : WTFosauras

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kosumo posted:

Here is a joke : WTFosauras

Don't make me choke up like that.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Only Kindness posted:

He's just complaining about complainers. This is the short version:

- Criticising CIG for not fulfilling their old promises is childish [this isn't really expanded upon, he just repeats it a lot.]

- While CIG's estimated delivery dates were much too optimistic, saying that upcoming features won't arrive for 20 years ignores the fact that CIG has been steadily delivering more content, albeit slower than planned. About every 18 months, CIG has historically put out a new major landing zone. If this trend continues, we can expect Pyro in October or November.

- Complaining about CIG won't actually benefit you in any way, and it won't get the game out any faster.

Frankly, I think he has a point in saying that CIG does put out some content. You could play Star Citizen as if it were a finished game--there is stuff to do. It just looks like a really bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Enchanted Hat posted:

Frankly, I think he has a point in saying that CIG does put out some content. You could play Star Citizen as if it were a finished game--there is stuff to do. It just looks like a really bad game.

The issue is not whether some content has come out, it clearly has, it's that the most crucial and salient aspects of what was promised never will.

This is made obvious by the incredibly ratcheting back of standards. They are pros at moving the goalposts. Except they're moving them closer, not farther away.

They're within about an inch now