Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What is the base game campaign these days anyway? The red war from Vanilla D2? If I'm starting on a fresh account should I finish that up before deciding on whether to pick up Witch Queen and or Beyond Light? Did Bungie go back on removing content?

There's a new light onboarding experience that starts in the cosmodrome. Red war and all that previous story before shadowkeep is gone. Bonus: You don't have to walk everywhere (you get a sparrow) and that part in the red war where you had to stagger around w/ a broken ghost is gone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother just bought Witch Queen :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What is the base game campaign these days anyway? The red war from Vanilla D2? If I'm starting on a fresh account should I finish that up before deciding on whether to pick up Witch Queen and or Beyond Light? Did Bungie go back on removing content?

There is a player introduction quest that was added about a year ago. The Red War campaign is long gone. If you've played D2 before you probably don't have to do it, but it is Brand New Content

They did not go back on removing content, everything before the back half of Forsaken as well as all the seasonal content for years 2-4 are gone. The game right now consists of the intro quest, the Dreaming City, Shadowkeep, Beyond Light, Witch Queen, season 16, the 30th Anniversary pack, and a few other miscellaneous things

As for the choice between Beyond Light and Witch Queen, absolutely get Witch Queen, that's not even a choice worth considering

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

harrygomm posted:

So if ghosts can easily be destroyed, how did Saint 14 wade through armies of fallen, solo, and headbutt Solkis to death?
In fact, how did the hold out on the battle of the six fronts work where they just died and rezzed over and over and take out thousands of fallen without a single one of them going ‘alright gently caress whatever unwritten pact we have, we’re at war and we’re trying to kill them, their ghosts are fair game’

Ghosts are tiny, highly mobile, and usually invisible/immaterial. IIRC Cabal doctrine is to do an orbital bombardment once the Guardian is dead and the Ghost is trying to rez.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oooh I’m having decision paralysis between warlock and Titan. I played Warlock through BL but Titan is looking cool again.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
we've got weird darkness powers, so if you really want a Guardian is Special reason we can crush ghosts, it's probably that - we can suffocate their Light like happens to our Ghost in Darkness Zones (or w/e they're called)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The lore on the season artifact talks about how it’s only usable by a lightbearer against other lightbearers

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 22, 2022

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
ghosts are both impossible to kill and easy to kill. Guardians can both come back infinity times and get killed like chumps permanently. It is a video game.

harrygomm posted:

i guess that’s the thing though right? if that’s the case, eventually one guardian could kill every fallen ever. the seige against the city doesn’t make sense. if a ghost does all it can not to be killed, like gepetto does, a single guardian could eventually walk up to and kill every fallen seigeing The City by themselves. more guardians just means it goes faster.

i don’t get how it can be both things. guardians permanently die all the time, but also ghosts are nearly impossible to kill/flat out can’t be killed being time travel fuckery/whatever. is it just inconsistent story telling/don’t think about it too hard? how can anything that doesn’t have a ghost ever pose a threat to someone that does? barring whatever the opposite of plot armor is like Cayde

but yes it's pretty much part of the lore that the Cabal and the Fallen stand no chance against Guardians, rip

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 24, 2022

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

harrygomm posted:

i don’t get how it can be both things. guardians permanently die all the time, but also ghosts are nearly impossible to kill/flat out can’t be killed being time travel fuckery/whatever. is it just inconsistent story telling/don’t think about it too hard? how can anything that doesn’t have a ghost ever pose a threat to someone that does? barring whatever the opposite of plot armor is like Cayde

It’s incredibly arbitrary and inconsistent, and has always been from the beginning. In D1 they talk about how Crota was killing guardians by the hundreds and then in the campaign you find one single permadead guardian and it’s treated like some massive reveal and mystery

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also the entire setting of this expansion pack is literally the inside of the subconscious mind of a moth witch zombie that exists both physically on Mars and also as a psychic plane of existence between dimensions, the lore is very decidedly straddling the metaphysical like a mechanical bull

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

harrygomm posted:

if a ghost does all it can not to be killed, like gepetto does, a single guardian could eventually walk up to and kill every fallen seigeing The City by themselves. more guardians just means it goes faster.

This is why Saint is basically Satan to the Eliksni.

Oxyclean posted:

It seems way more like they've just made an inconsistency for gameplay sake - or maybe Hive ghosts are just particularly careless and focus on rezzing their hive above self-preservation?

Something I'm not clear on after finishing the campaign: Why did the ghost that revived Savathun already look all hivey? I'm honestly still a bit confused what exactly is the deal with hive ghosts - Fynch makes it sound like they were a bunch of ghosts that were convinced to help the hive. But it almost feels like if ghosts can just choose to make anyone a risen, it's surprising we haven't seen Fallen guardians.

Bust Rodd posted:

AFAICT, a ghost is just a composite of Light given sentience by Travis, and its shell seems to be purely cosmetic based on the Ghost’s preference. For the same reason that some people prefer the art of Todd McFarlane over the art of Jhonen Vasquez, it’s easy to imagine some ghosts would think chitin and spiked carapaces are more stylish than scrap metal or funny cat ears.

The WQ Collector’s Edition lorebook made it sound like these guys are Hive weeaboos so I could definitely see them already having decided to look Hive-y.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also i don't think it's ever really stated but my headcannon for the battle of twilight gap is basically what you describe- a tiny number of guardians killing infinite fallen, continuously reviving

pretty horrifying!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's also supposed to be like countless Guardians roaming around but they drop like flies because on average they're worse than your typical feeder in the Crucible. The dead Guardians you find working in Vanguard Fireteams are supposed to be significantly more skilled than that hence it's a big deal when they die.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also the ghosts 'choosing' a guardian doesn't really make sense to me, it seems way more consistent that a ghost is basically created with a specific guardian or set of guardians in mind. The traveler would give the ghost an appropriate form for it's intended guardian. Bungie stop writing your lore wrong hhnnggghhh.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's all weird for gameplay reasons, just like how the fireteam of nine died to the hive on Titan. Goddam it Fred Bungie get your poo poo together.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

This is why Saint is basically Satan to the Eliksni.

The WQ Collector’s Edition lorebook made it sound like these guys are Hive weeaboos so I could definitely see them already having decided to look Hive-y.

There was a big crowd of Ghosts looking for people to rise. It's in some part of the lore I can't remember, and there was an exo that shepherded them around at one point. Maybe Glint was part of this at one point as Pulled Pork?

Maybe this splinter group gave up and said gently caress it, let's go hive and decided to be hive cosplayers.

Hiveachu! I choose you! *rez*

Eej posted:

There's also supposed to be like countless Guardians roaming around but they drop like flies because on average they're worse than your typical feeder in the Crucible. The dead Guardians you find working in Vanguard Fireteams are supposed to be significantly more skilled than that hence it's a big deal when they die.

Not everybody can be Chief Guardian Asskicker I guess. Office mailroom clerk guardian fireteam to the rescue!

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 24, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSZ7b5ICLI

:allears:

It's beautiful.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
has anyone written up any kinda... lore/ending explainers for this expansion yet? ideally non-Youtube. I'm a little confused by The Witness's plan with the Hive - was it just to make a powerful enemy for the Traveler, who would eventually try to trap the Traveler like Savathun does?

also I don't really understand the bit about Savathun "seeing her death" and getting stabbed/resurrecting and all that. was that supposed to be what happened when Mara tried to kill her, or was that some parallel/alternate universe thing? Does this tie into the weirdness around Savathun being able to pull in different times/places, which I feel like barely came up?

I have a lot of post-game stuff to clear so maybe the lore will start to become more obvious then (like hopefully it will explain why Scorn are here???), but so far, I'm more lost than I expected, even for Destiny :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
This feels like Trinity Ghoul 2.0, in that it's absolutely sickening if the chaining component of the damage is able to kill red bars by itself and maybe not so good in master/GM type stuff where mobs are tankier. Though the across-the-board buff of primary exotics against red bars might be enough to keep it relevant?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reviews are in, and the new Iron Banner hand cannon is GREAT. Hopefully everyone got a halfway decent roll on it but it looks like it's a real banger even with a mediocre one

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

abraham linksys posted:

has anyone written up any kinda... lore/ending explainers for this expansion yet? ideally non-Youtube. I'm a little confused by The Witness's plan with the Hive - was it just to make a powerful enemy for the Traveler, who would eventually try to trap the Traveler like Savathun does?

also I don't really understand the bit about Savathun "seeing her death" and getting stabbed/resurrecting and all that. was that supposed to be what happened when Mara tried to kill her, or was that some parallel/alternate universe thing? Does this tie into the weirdness around Savathun being able to pull in different times/places, which I feel like barely came up?

I have a lot of post-game stuff to clear so maybe the lore will start to become more obvious then (like hopefully it will explain why Scorn are here???), but so far, I'm more lost than I expected, even for Destiny :v:

1) I don't think we know anything about any specific plan by the spoilered character, however the Witness follows the tenets of the Darkness and is opposed to the Light/Traveler. The Hive also follow the Darkness and don't like the Light/Traveler. Some Hive serve the Witness. Savathun's plan to trap the Traveler was not in accordance to the Witness' wishes, which is why he's been sending Scorn and Xivu Arath to gently caress her up

2) That actually happened. Savathun got stabbed by a crystal shard when her prison broke, and without her worm she was weak as poo poo, so she died. Then a ghost rezzed her, that's why she has Light powers. Sav can't pull in alternate timelines, that's pyramid/Darkness stuff- the granting of that power also wound up helping to gently caress over Savathun.

3) Scorn are servants of the Darkness/Pyramids, who are trying to defeat Savathun because she turned away from Darkness.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

New head canon for me is the “Your Light Fades Away” screen represents my ghost getting wrecked and the end of that particular timeline’s incarnation of me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reviews are in, and the new Iron Banner hand cannon is GREAT. Hopefully everyone got a halfway decent roll on it but it looks like it's a real banger even with a mediocre one

Perhaps recency bias but I kind feel like every new gun is a banger and they will only become easier and more fun to use as you level them up and craft them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't worry, this isn't as bad as it seems. And don't bother farming Wellspring yet.

Keep upgrading your reputation with David Fynch and you'll eventually unlock higher difficulty Wellspring. Tarnation/Come to Pass will go from Uncommon to Guaranteed drops which will mean farming it for an hour instead of a day.

I just unlocked the wellspring difficulty thing and no, this is still as bad as it seems because either I do it on easy mode, or I need to find 5 people to do this poo poo at stupid inflated light with way to many goddamn modifiers.

Don't understand why there isn't some middle ground mode that adds champions and goes to 1530 or 1550. This quest loving sucks.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 24, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

This quest loving sucks.

That's for sure. Needing 3x red-bordered versions of a gun is a huge pain in the rear end

Crafting isn't super great so far in my experience

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roctavian posted:

New head canon for me is the “Your Light Fades Away” screen represents my ghost getting wrecked and the end of that particular timeline’s incarnation of me.

I'm pretty sure this is also actual game canon, or at least there's a lore where someone entertains the possibility

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When a New Light awakens are they “assigned” a class? Like clearly in game you have to choose, but in the lore is your ghost like “okay you’re my guardian and you’re a Titan, here’s how to make a wall”?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When a New Light awakens are they “assigned” a class? Like clearly in game you have to choose, but in the lore is your ghost like “okay you’re my guardian and you’re a Titan, here’s how to make a wall”?

It depends on if, in your previous life, you were big and strong (titan), nimble and lithe (hunter), or wearing a dress (warlock)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

no, classes are an informal thing based around personality. Like a strong headed person would more easily/naturally be able to channel the light as a wall, and then gravitate towards others with the same sense of duty/discipline, where they share techniques with each other.

you can have cross class stuff- like hunters learning how the blink from warlocks (in D1, they forgot for D2), Felwinter who was a warlock learned how to shoulder charge, and Drifter is classless. The warlock/titan/hunter divisions being so codified is also more of a Vanguard era thing- previous eras of Risen (warlord, ironlord) had more mutability, though you'd be able to classify most of them as the three classes

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 24, 2022

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I guess that ties in to how void 3.0 is working when it comes to grenades. I guess there's no real lore reason why each class has to have its own specific grenades so they just gave it to everybody.

Also, it's funny how the Hunter Hive has a cloak. Did his ghost happen to have one lying around? Or did he just make one?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I assumed the Barricade was mostly from the armor, not just Light. Hunter dodge is almost a normal mortal thing, warlock rift is definitely magic, but I figured the barricade was just from the armor. Like “you’re big and tough and your heavy armor can fit more tech, so here’s a wall”.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol if this leads to us becoming the next Fallen and the traveler peacess out

This is the second time it tried. The last time was when Rasputin tore out the engines with several nuclear weapons and stranded it here.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Bust Rodd posted:

[url="https:// lhttps://www.light.gg/"]Light.gg[/url] for comparing your weapons perks and stats and determining your best rolls!

This is a nice first post but you have a typo killing this link.

Can we get a section added that explains crafting BTW? I think that's the only major thing that would be really helpful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

J.A.B.C. posted:

This is the second time it tried. The last time was when Rasputin tore out the engines with several nuclear weapons and stranded it here.

Uldren, why you gotta spread lies like this!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

oh yeah minor crafting thing, but if you mouse over the perks of a weapon with resonance, it'll show you how much of the associated element you have.

this can help you somewhat when choosing which element to pull, as you can pick whichever is lower

unless you're saving up to craft a perk for another weapon or whatever, then just choose that element.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What makes this one different from the other 180s? I looked up the perks and there's some decent combos but 180s are typically really underwhelming in PVP.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 22, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The rapid fire frame fusion can roll with firmly planted and the warm up perk which makes it charge faster after a kill. You can almost use it as an anti shotgun when that happens. It's worth crafting one and levelling it when killing trash mobs. When it hits level 10 you can re-frame it to be basically a god roll.

Also I was doing the quest for the grenade launcher last night but it seems I need deepsight level 3 to continue to find the platforms for one of the runes? None of the guides online mention needing tier 3 deepsight but it seems you do? I found the right spot to get the platforms to appear but it won't let me activate it. I guess I can spend a few more hours grinding that rep but gently caress me if that's the case that's annoying as poo poo?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The season is supposed to last 3 months and it’s been 3 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

AFAICT, a ghost is just a composite of Light given sentience by Travis, and its shell seems to be purely cosmetic based on the Ghost’s preference. For the same reason that some people prefer the art of Todd McFarlane over the art of Jhonen Vasquez, it’s easy to imagine some ghosts would think chitin and spiked carapaces are more stylish than scrap metal or funny cat ears.

My sister played the campaign with her super-cool hunter outfit but forgot to change her ghost from the clam with googly eyes and it heightened the experience immeasurably

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If new lights open Shawn Ham's chest that costs 20k glimmer to open, they get...

A legacy legendary helmet that can't be infused and lists it's max light as 1260, even though it has a PL of 1350.

I got a bunch of stuff with a max light of 1060 despite picking it up with 1100, it just seems the way bungie deals with old drops and equipment