Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Eschatos posted:

Why would I waste time grinding rebellions past the early game when those armies can be out taking new territory?

The rebellions can be taken out by garrisons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Some factions are designed to be run in the negative and many players don’t understand that nuance. Most factions can to some extent. If battles pay a lot it’s a sign you can be reckless.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Dr Christmas posted:

Did something screwy happen to my Khorne blood host army, or is this how it’s supposed to work?

The leader seems to be a unit of Exalted Bloodletters with a Herald’s portrait. I fought a big defensive battle with my blood host army as the main one and Skarbrand backing it up. All my units are close to full health. A while in, I get a message saying my commander is dead. However the unit is still there. I win without suffering a lot of casualties. When I come back, the entire blood host army is gone!

Was everything really riding on one model of a squad? Do blood hosts disappear immediately instead of suffer attrition when they don’t fight? It had technically been involved in a recent few battles, but mostly as reinforcements who didn’t do anything.

There is some definite strangeness around whatever is dedicated "leader". I lost a Lord when I was sieging and the enemy sallied out, but still won the battle. When the end turn completed, the army was completely bugged out. I couldn't replace the lord, attack, disengage, anything. The settlement now appears to be completely bugged out. Army just sits there, can't dismiss units, I starved it out but haven't taken over the settlement, no one will attack it, etc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Twigand Berries posted:

Some factions are designed to be run in the negative and many players don’t understand that nuance. Most factions can to some extent. If battles pay a lot it’s a sign you can be reckless.

And yet there's the "Gain a positive income of at least 3000" quests hanging around. Not sure when I'll ever get around to completing those.

And running on a deficit can be annoying if you suddenly run out of enemies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Omnicarus posted:

I'm not sure what the point of the Gryphon Legion cavalry is supposed to be in the Kislev roster. They are the same tier as bear cavalry and seem significantly worse in most respects.
I feel like they should have gotten an anti large bonus and war bears an anti infantry one, but that's at a glance. I haven't been able to field them much yet.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I think there is a communication failure between chaos mains and human mains

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Twigand Berries posted:

Outposts: You build them in defensive allies that have a major settlement. It allows you access to their recruitment from that settlement alone I think. All I see are tier 1 stuff at this point. You recruit them with allegiance points. Once you get a full military alliance you can upgrade your outposts and get better stuff as well as the option to entirely take control of one of your ally's armies for a turn maybe??? It cost a lot of allegiance.

Allegiance points are gained through missions supplied by your allies and they also naturally tick up I think with outposts. The missions can be all over the place but a consistent way to farm allegiance points is during your jaunts into chaos. All your allies starts spamming missions to kill the armies in there. If you have a ton of allies you can get all the missions on like one army.

Edit: As for not being able to get outposts in, I've seen that with some more far flung alliances but I haven't given Slaanesh much of a ride yet so maybe they make it more difficult for them to get them because they can abuse it too much. It's why Nurgle doesn't start with any obvious sources of trade goods in reach when that's the only way you're going to get more heroes. It forces you to go for the friendlies close by (although I bet if you grab the capital of the nurgle faction to your west from the skaven you might be able to get them to confederate) or start the inevitable hell war with tzeentch to the north.

Thanks this helped.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Broken Cog posted:

And yet there's the "Gain a positive income of at least 3000" quests hanging around. Not sure when I'll ever get around to completing those.

The armies of Khorne will only rest when there are no more enemies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

trippple poist

I think we can save our lords and heroes then email them to each other and load them into our campaigns.

There is a button at the bottom right on... one of the screens, that I noticed which is "load saved character"

I think it might be on the lord/hero recruitment screen?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The rebellions can be taken out by garrisons

It's still boring fights that can't be autoresolved for minimal benefit. I would much rather stick to battles that are fun and actually advance my game state.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

Discovered a fun use for Khorne’s Eternal War manifestation: Since third parties can show up to battles now, you can encircle the city and call the attack on yourself, and the enemy you’re besieging will join. Do it if you want to fight on more even ground and don’t want to wait and let your blood meter drop. If the city you’re besieging belongs to a demon army, what little remains in the city once you turn back to it will be just a few bedraggled mortals.
You're a god damned goon hero.

Finally figured out why people think slaanesh has replenishment problems.

They are not orc, beastmen, or norscan players.

This costs 50 control and 100 devotees. Do it.

Bonus

more money

Get this

Later get this

Build 4 of these once you secure your first or second province

Have a wonderful time murdering all the rebels and having massive gains in capturing people to replenish your armies.
This looks amazing.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Those quests are a nice silver lining for when your army gets wiped out, at least.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
whoops

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2022

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
the update is 520mb and my 58gb of free space isn't enough :allears:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Can you enter the rifts a second time in one cycle?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat, only technical fixes in this patch, no upkeep bugfix this week it seems

Edit: I've been thinking, what's the point of the Lord of Change unit in Kairos' roster? It's cool, but it's pretty redundant, considering Tzeentch isn't exactly hurting for spellcasters as it is.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 24, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

peer posted:

the update is 520mb and my 58gb of free space isn't enough :allears:

It needs the full 112Gb it seems. The update took longer to install than it took for the entire game to be downloaded the first time for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
drat, the patch took a literal hour to unpack.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Yeah, for whatever reason WH has always had a loving ridiculous patching system. One reason I'm not sure I like their "we'll roll out small fixes regularly" strategy.

For instance, I had a small 45min break to play today that I was looking forward to but now, nope, just patching. I mean, I'll survive, but it is a minor irritant.

e: also despite me trying as hard as I can to make steam update automatically it often refuses to do so.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 24, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just always found it quicker to just uninstall and reinstall the game than download the patch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, the lord isn't stronger than the others but he is more customizable which is the point. He can also get access to all units but he can't buff them like Skarbrand can buff his khorne units. There's a decent give and take tehre

"He is more customizable" doesn't really bear out in practice. The ONLY valuable or worthwhile build-a-bear components are the late game set bonuses. Which lock in like six of your pieces, so no real customization going on there. The actual individual pieces are entirely too conservative in what they give to make up for A) his lack of normal gear and B) his lack of access to normal gear, frequently a single piece of which is better than half or more of his parts!

As an individual Lord, he sucks a whole lot. His ability to support armies is good and fun, but even then, realistically probably not good enough. They were way too cautious with the numbers on his component parts.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd like the Demon Prince more if he had an exponential power curve instead of just being a wet fart. Weak at the start but by the end a Taurox/Skarsbrand style one entity army.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also they were goddamn allergic to putting any melee defense on his component parts, jesus christ.

Full power Tzeentch Daemon Prince is weaker than a stock standard Lord of Change. By a lot. Full power Khorne Daemon Prince only barely has better melee stats than a Lord of Change!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Give the Demon Prince the chance to just eat the demon souls and get a major permanent buff from it, so you can either get them for the book or you can just turbocharge your own power level and start stomping the opposition.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Messed around with a Nurgle campaign before calling it taking and trying to hold the Silver Pinnacle Mountains. A mistake yes, got known by too many factions. Guess I'll try a new direction and a slower oozing over the map approach(even slower than I already was), maybe go take the Northwest corner to start. Making Order walk through Chaos wastes should make taking the Southwest go better on attempt 2.

-Although you'd think going to Slaanesh for domination victories is a go-to bit of cheese the rewards seem to scale depending on the rift set. My big observation here is you seem unlikely to get the obscenely great rewards(sword, paramour, etc) on the first rift set. I saw paramour on the second rift set. Maybe I was just unlucky, though I reloaded the first set a few times. What I did take on the first set was +10 levels to all Lords/Heroes you have and you recruit. +10 levels on your starting LL + heroes in a stack is pretty busted! Once you go to Slaanesh's realm enough times you learn to travel it without ever fighting a Slaanesh army. Just way too easy and while the concepts are great this realm needs a redesign for a few good reasons.

Also Nurgle doesn't need Paramour, really. Learn Green Pox! However you can save when you enter the realm and go through the gates, see what is on display and reload. Seems to reset the rewards. Getting Sword and putting it on a 90 speed plague hero with a flying mount is the plan.

-The anti-player bias is kind of insane, "fights everyone" demon armies that exit rifts should fight other AI armies, especially Order ones. And Greenskins should probably fight them too, like Greenskins near Dawi. I even had Mandrake coming up to help Kislev and Dawi raid my land. I know undead are anti-chaos(mostly) and Kislev/Dawi is a friendship that could work but between those 3 and the greenskins nobody was taking a swing at one another?

-Even more insane anti-player bias is that Tzeentch factions can hit you with poo poo like Settlement Transferred when they're not at war with you. gently caress off. CA, seriously just take schemes out of the AIs hands. Remember when Clan Eshin came out but they don't use their OP campaign map hacking stuff on the player because there's no counter? I'd rather deal with the 1 Skyre Nuke a campaign than Tzeentch's even stronger "raze all of your buildings, defeat your garrison + towers at no cost with no army near the town and no siege timer, and give the settlement to some randos that you'll have to declare on if you want it back, then rebuild your buildings at cost, lol"

Buuuut Nurgle's really fun to play. I wanted to try taking the Empire/Kislev land and corners and it wasn't going too bad in actual army fighting. I find it funny everybody complains that Nurgle has mobility issues and nothing to deal with firing lines but the game starts you with quick access to Toads, Flies, Beasts of Nurgle, two strong Heroes that get Horses or a 90 speed flyer and... Furies. Yeah, everybody hates harpie style units. But you get a 2 turn research in the first ring to give them +5 AP. I had the starting Death Heads and 2 Furies in Ku'gath's army for those first 50 turns I tried and they did insane work. Mulch towers fast too. Is this just a legacy of "HARPIES BAD" in the same way "CAVALRY BAD" gets belted around?

I'm pretty experienced at forcing an enemy army to engage on bad terms and turn it into a clusterfuck anyway. Speed issues aren't an issue if the enemy has to stop at some point. Maybe it'll be a real bitch when Welves are in the game. And I admittedly didn't fight Tzeentch armies but staggered slow advances are pretty easy with the Nurgling/Plaguebearer split, as well as Ku'gath's free starting artillery piece and the school of nurgle being absolutely great, super cost effective spells. You really do just drown them in meat and disease, it rules. I did notice one army actually disabled the AI tic where if you hit them with artillery a few times they recognize it and start advancing. Emptied Ku'gath's ammo entirely into a Kislev heavy ranged army and they wouldn't advance. They didn't do well against a proper stagger advance and I find using Ku'gath to bait focus fire to be delightfully devilish. He's also an outstanding melee fighter. Nurgle might have some of the best heroes and Lords in the game really.

The "root yourself and replenish" ritual is great, gonna pat myself on the back for that one since I said it when it previewed. Spreading plagues is fun and effective as hell too.

Obligatory "lmao what the gently caress" at Nurgle Tier 1 defense towers. They're other races T3-4s!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 24, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I thought you couldn't transfer settlements off of people you're at war with, even if you're the player?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Correct, you can only transfer settlements between factions that are at peace.

Doesn't stop a Tzeentch faction you're at war with giving them to one of your random neighbours though.

Edit: Honestly, I don't mind it too much, it's kinda funny when it happens.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 24, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Azran posted:

I thought you couldn't transfer settlements off of people you're at war with, even if you're the player?

You can’t. I also absolutely refuse to sign any treaties with Tzeentch. Lore appropriate.

I just did his realm, as Nurgle. Here’s a tip, if you fight your battles there will always be some mortal units to run off the map providing you with a quick auto resolve on the remnants in a second battle to get another reveal. I’ve never seen so many complaints from people who seem to refuse to play half the game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I've had Tzeentch take a settlement I hold and give it to a random at-peace AI neighbor as Cathay. Well I start at war with them OK.

Then I got it as Nurgle and :eyepop: , check the diplomacy screen.. at peace with Tzeentch. You don't start at war with them and I went south anyway. Just a RNG chance to lose a settlement every turn from mid game on?

See giving the player bullshit thematic toys is fun because I'm 1 idiot trying to defeat dozens of AIs and if I raise the campaign difficulty above Normal they're all cheating anyway. Letting me throw nukes and atomic bulls and horseshit assassinations at them levels the playing field. Getting kicked in the ribs at random is just arbitrary.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Twigand Berries posted:

I just did his realm, as Nurgle. Here’s a tip, if you fight your battles there will always be some mortal units to run off the map providing you with a quick auto resolve on the remnants in a second battle to get another reveal. I’ve never seen so many complaints from people who seem to refuse to play half the game.
It may be when you do his realm because every single one of the roaming armies has been composed of demons only on the first time the rifts open.

Also playing out a battle manually because I take 0 casualties on manual and lose almost 20% of my army on autoresolve isn't actually fun.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

I think I’m going to leave a movement and replenishment debuff plague cultist on every tzeentch island to gently caress with any AI Lords that come by. I hope they stay once I’m gone :/

They got booted :(

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Broken Cog posted:

Correct, you can only transfer settlements between factions that are at peace.

Doesn't stop a Tzeentch faction you're at war with giving them to one of your random neighbours though.

Edit: Honestly, I don't mind it too much, it's kinda funny when it happens.

There's an obvious solution: be at war with everyone :black101:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I always do Tzeentch first if I want a souls win because you get 1 birdball and 4 blue horrors every time.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

It may be when you do his realm because every single one of the roaming armies has been composed of demons only on the first time the rifts open.

Also playing out a battle manually because I take 0 casualties on manual and lose almost 20% of my army on autoresolve isn't actually fun.

Oh poo poo this is round 2 with forsaken. Don’t do Tzeentch first.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really don't like fighting out and besieging minor settlement maps. It really should just be an open field battle, but defenders get 2 towers and some deployables or something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Doomykins posted:

I always do Tzeentch first if I want a souls win because you get 1 birdball and 4 blue horrors every time.

Yup, though the Tzeentch soul battle can be rough for earlygame armies. Pink Horrors and flamers everywhere

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jokes posted:

I really don't like fighting out and besieging minor settlement maps. It really should just be an open field battle, but defenders get 2 towers and some deployables or something.

I'm actually starting to get the hang of them now. The key seems to be to outnumber defenders in unit cards, attack from 3+ directions and capture undefended points. I find the defenders mass route pretty quickly. Some fights I feared would be a slog got wrapped up much faster than I thought.

One map has the main control point very close to your starting area, and you can easily bum rush it with units. On some maps if you put your whole army in one clump the AI will form a daisy chain of units to try to completely block the approach which is great for aoe spells to nuke hundreds of guys.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started my first campaign just yesterday as Kislev. Just as Russia invades Ukraine. Perfect timing.

E: any tips for playing as Kislev? Just gonna try a bunch of random stuff out since its normal then go hard next campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm loving the minor settlements as any faction that isn't reliant on gunlines and cannons. It was fun as Kairos to just light up the enemy's chokepoint defenders, it's fun as Skarbrand to just put two bloodthirsters on every entrance and envelop the enemy, and I had a good time with Cathay until I made the mistake of bringing a bunch of Iron Hail and cannons who really struggled to get their eyes on the enemy.