Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

So the Ukranians held Kharkiv then? Haven't seen anything announcing it fell and there aren't any explosions on the livestream (that I see)

Yes. There was heavy combat around its perimeter, but the city holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Winning an invasion is one thing, if Russia tries to annex and occupy Ukraine and there is an insurgency that's a whole other kettle of fish.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MLSM posted:

Have you heard of Azov Battalion?

That's a minister? Undersecretary?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Randarkman posted:

I thought I heard that it had fallen hours ago. That's in the south where the Ukrainians supposedly mostly retreated without a fight, though I don't know how far.

The one from a few hours ago as the area north of crimea that had the water pumps, this is now a swing to creating a land bridge from Donetsk to crimea

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MLSM posted:

Quick Russia invade the US

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

khwarezm posted:

I wonder how the average Russian Trooper is feeling about fighting Ukrainians? Like the two countries are incredibly close culturally.

among other things, depends on how they ended up getting Conscripted and how long they've spent sitting around waiting for food, how much of the russian nationalism line they believed before, and how solid they might end up feeling about the cries and lamentations of others in their own language in opposition to the expectation they be greeted as 'liberators'

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

steinrokkan posted:

That's a minister? Undersecretary?

Secretary of the interior A. Battalion.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496947771546521604?s=20&t=M4WXLaS_x3Yq1FKOdQU8fg

Surprised Putin picked up the phone.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

MLSM posted:

Oh, amazing! Welcome to Ukrainian political chat! :) I hope you learn something!

Does anyone have any intel on consolidation points for Ukrainian citizens looking to evacuate by land? Aside from the obvious Lviv through yavoriv- I think maybe Chernivtsi into Romania? Martial law is making it difficult and the nature of the strikes is pretty wide ranging. Not sure how to advise my friends.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TulliusCicero posted:

Russian Command is so wierd strategically

"We lost all our Paratroopers at the airports?!"

"SEND EVERYTHING IN BY AIR"

It's like a bad Civilization player is running things

Classic Russian strategy, they've got more bodies that their opponent has bullets...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

He dropped hints of threat of nuclear response. Going radio silent with other heads of state is going to make them incredibly nervous which is not in his best interest while they are trying to figure out responses.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

quote:

Cool cool glad nuclear loving war is on the table.

Reminding the insane douche bag who has literally threatened to use nuclear weapons twice in the last 24 hours that the people he is threatening also have nuclear weapons does not mean “nuclear war is on the table.”

Quite the opposite, I think it translates to something like:

“Hey, fuckhead, the side you keep threatening to use nuclear weapons on has not one, but three major nuclear armed states.

Take a deep breath, dial the douchbaggary back down from a 12 to a 9 and stop acting like nuclear war is an option for Russia since we both know we would annihilate each other.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

they are gonna destroy it now and probably hold the remnants.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kaddish posted:

No, it wasn't a month. Forces were rolling across the desert from Qatar/Kuwait/Saudi Arabia immediately.

In the Gulf War, there were bombardments starting on January 17, followed by a ground assault on February 24. So you're quite mistaken.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kaddish posted:

Ukraine cannot win a conventional war against Russia, which this appears to be. It's a matter of time and how things escalate outside of Ukraine.

Probably true, but maintaining supply lines even into a neighboring country can be shockingly difficult. The longer this drags on, the more difficult and expensive it will be for Russia.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Surprised Macron bothered. This invasion makes it 1000% clear that the only reason Russia didn't take over Ukraine after the 2014 revolution was that it wasn't ready to do so. There really isn't diplomacy to be had until Russia hits another wall either militarily or economically.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

uXs posted:

In the Gulf War, there were bombardments starting on January 17, followed by a ground assault on February 24. So you're quite mistaken.

My mistake.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Classic Russian strategy, they've got more bodies that their opponent has bullets...

I mean, if it's one thing Russia actually doesn't have alot of it's young people. The demographic situation is not good, though obviously we aren't going to be looking at WW2 casualty rates here.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

White House is hosting a news conference. I'm guessing it'll be about the war, but never know these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY1Vx89fxCw

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orthanc6 posted:

Surprised Macron bothered. This invasion makes it 1000% clear that the only reason Russia didn't take over Ukraine after the 2014 revolution was that it wasn't ready to do so. There really isn't diplomacy to be had until Russia hits another wall either militarily or economically.

Macron is a real slut for humiliation, huh

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

sean10mm posted:

Winning an invasion is one thing, if Russia tries to annex and occupy Ukraine and there is an insurgency that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Everything I've seen from Ukrainians who still have access to social media suggests that they are going to stand their ground till the end. Ukraine is huge and has a population nearly 1/3 of Russia's. Russia may take a pyrrhic victory but it will have a hell of a time keeping it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uXs posted:

In 2003 though the ground phase started 1 day after the air bombardment. I think the lesson everyone took in that last 30 years is that an extended air campaign just has you blow through all of your precision stockpiles while given the opponent time to recover - better just to go with everything on day one and keep them off balance.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I wonder if it was a "VERY UNFAIR" Trump style rant but in Russian

Wierd how Macron seems to be the point guy for NATO negotations with Putin at the moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably true, but maintaining supply lines even into a neighboring country can be shockingly difficult. The longer this drags on, the more difficult and expensive it will be for Russia.

this. they had a chance to end it early and they hosed up and probably lost a bunch of special forces guys in the process because they tried to do what the US is an expert in. i think ukraine loses the conventional war but its gonna be dragged out awhile longer now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TulliusCicero posted:

Wied how Macron seems to be the point guy for NATO negotations with Putin at the moment.
Macron seems to have been putting himself as the honest broker so to speak, and someone has to talk to the guy. Talking to Macron may be more politically acceptable than to the hated Nato or Joseph the Biden.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

TulliusCicero posted:

Wied how Macron seems to be the point guy for NATO negotations with Putin at the moment.

Idk, I get second hand embarrassment thinking of either Biden or BJ talking to literally anyone on the phone.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Macron has wanted to be the point guy for European anything for some time, so makes sense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

makes sense. France has always been a very very very strong nato partner despite what 00 era republicans act. its nice that they got short with him when he tried to feed him the stupid line bullshit.

also

Nessus posted:

Macron seems to have been putting himself as the honest broker so to speak, and someone has to talk to the guy. Talking to Macron may be more politically acceptable than to the hated Nato or Joseph the Biden.

this

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

steinrokkan posted:

Macron is a real slut for humiliation, huh

He did marry his teacher after all

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

TulliusCicero posted:

Wierd how Macron seems to be the point guy for NATO negotations with Putin at the moment.

France has the largest and best conventional army in Europe.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
They declared victory prematurely again?

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1496949767863255053

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Eh, it kind of has to be him at this point. The U.S. can't be seen leading this because let's be real, we don't have much credibility when it comes to not engaging in wars of choice. Germany has its issues with Russia, the UK under Boris has been too hawkish towards Russia to be a good point man in this, so that basically leaves France as the obvious choice.

e: beaten like the Russian paras at Hostomel airfield!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
France has a long history of both hating NATO and wanting to run it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

maybe, who knows. we won't get a clear picture.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

uXs posted:

I believe the 2003 Invasion was different. There was that massive "shock-n-awe" aerial campaign and US/British forces moved in simultaneously. It still took a month before they reached Baghdad/Saddam was toppled and the US/British had as many troops for that invasion as Russia does for this one, though Iraq is much smaller.

The Iraqi army was also in much worse shape than the Ukrainian military.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fragrag posted:

He did marry his teacher after all

No kinkshaming

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This looks like she’s just retracting the previous story, and is not up to speed with current news.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh c'mon.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

khwarezm posted:

I wonder how the average Russian Trooper is feeling about fighting Ukrainians? Like the two countries are incredibly close culturally.

Based on the eight years of conflict in Eastern Ukraine, Russian nationalism is strong, and a lot of Russians consider Ukrainians to be "the other".

youcallthatatwist posted:

Very bad in the broadest sense, like "this should not be happening at all" bad

Now as to who is "winning", no clue, many contradictory reports rn. Russia does seem to have been caught off guard by Ukrainian resistance but they're also gaining ground maybe?? Not a lot of reliable info out there

Well, Russia seems to have tried a lot of ballsy things like going straight for a decapitation strike on Kyiv, and those don't seem to be going that well, but yeah, there's no way Ukraine can beat them in a conventional war. And this is if for no other reason than that Russia will, sooner or later, establish air superiority over the whole country.

sean10mm posted:

But yeah there's also this. Eastern Ukraine may have enough people who identify as Russian to welcome the invaders, but most of the rest of the country definitely will not. They also have something like 900,000 reservists, so if even one-tenth of those turn into insurgents, that's a huge ball-ache for a Russian occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

wetdela posted:

Oh, amazing! Welcome to Ukrainian political chat! :) I hope you learn something!

Does anyone have any intel on consolidation points for Ukrainian citizens looking to evacuate by land? Aside from the obvious Lviv through yavoriv- I think maybe Chernivtsi into Romania? Martial law is making it difficult and the nature of the strikes is pretty wide ranging. Not sure how to advise my friends.

Polish borders are open. Document requirements are waived. Reception centers are operational. Regulations have been lifted so far as to even allow bringing in house pets.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 24, 2022