Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, who knows. we won't get a clear picture.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496950008339484672?s=20&t=xhoLmHZjuOJLz1X4sDuAEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Franks Happy Place posted:

France has the largest and best conventional army in Europe.

Genuinely surprised:

I thought for sure that was Germany

Do they have the biggest nuclear stockpile of the European powers as well?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 24, 2022

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, who knows. we won't get a clear picture.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the VDV units have dissolved into small cells and switched to guerilla tactics to be a thorn on the Ukrainian forces

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
For what it’s worth, some of the biggest Ukrainian nationalists you’ll ever meet live in Eastern Ukraine in cities like Kharkiv, Poltava, and Dnipro.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

Do they have the biggest nuclear stockpile of the European powes as well?

Germany's is probably, relative to size, one of the most decrepit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

Germany’s army is so underfunded the soldiers have been photographed doing rifle drills with painted brooms. It’s the running joke, that Poland could trounce Germany in conventional warfare.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

BigRed0427 posted:

So how are you guys following all this? Just twitter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgdw2vseGqo

Good indpendent news live stream if you wanna be ahead of CNN etc as they cover social media posts and videos (verified as best as they can). They do the twitter lookups and verifications live for you, so easier to keep in another tab while doing other work.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496946293947899909?s=20&t=exe0rzWFRk-gmt4mCCqVYw

Wonder if the green light was given before the airport's status was certain.

Click his name so you see his feed in chronological order.

According to this the battle is over. But, who knows. It's night and there could be a lot of confusion. Let's hope it holds.

e: ah sorry, I misread your post :dumb: Yeah, that's possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

Europe doesn’t generally feel comfortable with Germany having a big army

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

bad_fmr posted:

From finnish perspective, following the news and discussion in the recent weeks have been really perplexing. Leftists especially in USA seem to have absolutely massive blind spots about Russia in general and Putin in specific. Modern Russia is and has been an aggressive ethnonationalist authoritarian state committing war crimes and assassinating people wherever they choose. That you would choose to give benefit of doubt to Russia seems insane. Yes I understand that CIA is bad and NATO/USA has done dumb poo poo, but these do not change the facts.

Ironically it's a form of American exceptionalism turned on its head; in any conflict involving the US in any way the US is uniquely evil and wrong, and we must focus completely on the US and its faults and ignore or pardon what any other country is doing. In fact the US is so evil it justifies by whataboutism the most wretched behavior by any country because the US has done it worse, up to and including genocide.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 24, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

France love to spend French Tax money on French things, might as well spend a chunk of that on your military. That includes making sure you have your own manufacturers rather than joining european joint programmes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Once they provide us with a video of ukranian soldiers in the airport we’ll know for sure

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Maybe the airport got shelled so hard it opened a rift in reality, one where the Russians occupy the airport and one where the Ukranians repulsed them exist at the same time

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Germany’s army is so underfunded the soldiers have been photographed doing rifle drills with painted brooms. It’s the running joke, that Poland could trounce Germany in conventional warfare.

Hitler's skull is spinning in some jar somewhere

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's less underfunding and more mismanagement. Germany has still the 7th highest military budget in the world.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

BigRed0427 posted:

So how are you guys following all this? Just twitter?

I'm using the Reddit live feed which is surprisingly good at aggregating twitter sources:

https://www.reddit.com/live/18hnzysb1elcs/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Majorian posted:

Eh, it kind of has to be him at this point. The U.S. can't be seen leading this because let's be real, we don't have much credibility when it comes to not engaging in wars of choice. Germany has its issues with Russia, the UK under Boris has been too hawkish towards Russia to be a good point man in this, so that basically leaves France as the obvious choice.

e: beaten like the Russian paras at Hostomel airfield!

Partly beaten, but this ties back into this quote:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

makes sense. France has always been a very very very strong nato partner despite what 00 era republicans act. its nice that they got short with him when he tried to feed him the stupid line bullshit.

Unless you mean a strong partner in terms of military strength, this is patently untrue. France has always been one of the most independent of the NATO members, to the extent that they actually withdrew from NATO for a number of years starting in the late 1960s. I don't remember the details of when and how they fully rejoined, but it was quite a long time. This is significant because it gives France and, by extension, a certain amount of credibility to be acting on behalf of the EU but not NATO. And since it is accurate to say that they're probably the closest thing to a peer adversary in Russia, Putin likely took the call in case Macron's statement was going to be "gently caress NATO, we're going to support an independent Ukraine in any way we can of our own accord."

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

The French army is smaller than America's but is a legit no-loving-around murdering machine that still to this day enforces a global colonial empire (aka lots of practice shooting people). They have a core of incredibly well trained professional soldiers, a functional aircraft carrier group, and a first rate air force.

And yes, a buttload of nukes. Like several hundred operational warheads, including second-strike capacity.

I actually don't think Russia could beat them in a conventional war in a vacuum.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrYgDnewSI

lol putin just wasted the lives of a bunch of elite soldiers because he felt small.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Zalinsky needs, for the duration of this conflict (and thereafter), to put on his old hat and deliver all public statements in the medium of standup comedy, a thing Russia hates even more than western democracy.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
edit: can't confirm who they are and don't want to broadcast UA troop movements.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 25, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

It's less underfunding and more mismanagement. Germany has still the 7th highest military budget in the world.

It's really easy to have a top 10 military budget if you are a European army paying a competitve wage. It's really misleading to look at top line $ amounts: this is particulary true if you are comparing the US and Russia and don't take into account the purchasing power disparity that exists because Russia pays for everything in Roubles.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'ma gonna go on weekend to demonstrate with local Ukrainians. Hope you all will. THAT'LL show Putin :argh:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If this is true, were most of them captured? Or did they just get surrounded and hammered to death with conventional arms fire?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

:allears:

This is just precious. Why the hell did you think that? Did you somehow manage to miss every single news about Germany, all your life?

For some actual content: Our commander-in-chief just had to confess that our army is currently so weak, we can't even properly fulfill our treaty-obligations anymore. If it were us instead of Ukraine, we'd all be dead now (and not because of nukes, to be clear).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Kavros posted:

If this is true, were most of them captured? Or did they just get surrounded and hammered to death with conventional arms fire?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496951654645747723

Not sure I 100% believe this though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

Germany is a massive exporter, but has a really pitiful military. They don't even have enough machineguns to arm their already small ground forces.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Just caught what appear to be at least three small but separate groups of troops moving into downtown Kharkiv from the north:

Camera is approximately here: https://goo.gl/maps/DUELXTii4sqZW28X8

fake edit:

Are those Russians? Is there any indications that the Russians have broken into downtown Kharkiv?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
just catching up but wow, Putin is going to try and ride this out on his stolen billions and throw the rest of Russia to the wolves
https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1496867400117014533

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

They can always provide us with video of them strolling into the airport, i don’t want to wake up tomorrow to daylight footage of the Russians still holding the airport

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

The French army is smaller than America's but is a legit no-loving-around murdering machine that still to this day enforces a global colonial empire (aka lots of practice shooting people). They have a core of incredibly well trained professional soldiers, a functional aircraft carrier group, and a first rate air force.

And yes, a buttload of nukes. Like several hundred operational warheads, including second-strike capacity.

I actually don't think Russia could beat them in a conventional war in a vacuum.

Russia could 100% beat France in a conventional war. They have massively more manpower, tanks, and combat aircraft. Remember how the UK and France were at their limit bombing Libya before the US took over?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Europe doesn’t generally feel comfortable with Germany having a big army

Neither do the Germans. It's an article of faith in Germany that anyone in an army is an idiot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Logistics wins wars and all of Western Europe combined doesnt have the airlift capability to fight a big boy war outside of it's own borders for more than a week or two

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1496950779332096000/photo/2

This is a guy definitely living in a bunker for the forseeable future :(

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

France is no joke. It's just been a really long time since they properly hosed someone up. But they absolutely could.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Click his name so you see his feed in chronological order.

According to this the battle is over. But, who knows. It's night and there could be a lot of confusion. Let's hope it holds.

e: ah sorry, I misread your post :dumb: Yeah, that's possible.

Congrats to proud Ukrainian tools

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kavros posted:

We have no details. We (kind of) know it was 31st VDV, so almost literally the best infantry brigade Russia has, think Russian MARSOC. We also know that they held the airfield for half a day, and that Ukrainians ended up escalating to tanks and artillery fire. If I had to make a guess, they got blow up alongside their cover.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Russia could 100% beat France in a conventional war. They have massively more manpower, tanks, and combat aircraft. Remember how the UK and France were at their limit bombing Libya before the US took over?

They most likely couldn't, in a war where the French were on the defensive, in prepared positions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The economic damage this is going to do in the long run to Russia really does not seem worth it for fairly minor territorial gains unless I'm missing out on some vitally important reason for Russia to want to occupy Ukraine.

Like did Putin just hope this would go over the same as annexing Crimea and no one would really care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Sinteres posted:

Russia could 100% beat France in a conventional war. They have massively more manpower, tanks, and combat aircraft.

Buddy I promise you, if GIGN was the one taking an airport, everyone in possession of a rusty musket for 500 miles around the point of attack would have been warcrimed into oblivion the night before.

Call me the next time Russia is launching air strikes halfway across the world like a proper empire.