Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I know at least a couple of draft wonks have said that nobody in this draft would've been taken in the top 10 of last year's draft. Is that realistic or just wonkery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

I know at least a couple of draft wonks have said that nobody in this draft would've been taken in the top 10 of last year's draft. Is that realistic or just wonkery?

Nobody can really say for sure but for my money it is essentially true. I'm so unimpressed by this class, only a few position groups look average or better. Most are clearly below average. Especially at the top, the top is thin.

Of course there will be a bunch of players taken who are good, but it starts with the quarterbacks and just goes downhill from there. It's especially hard to populate the top of the draft board because a lot of those guys would be late first rounders in some years imo.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

People probably think hes this year Jayson/Odafe Oweh, but with actual college production

Problem with that is Odafe (that's the name he's asked people to use) Oweh was a very solid run defender in college. That gave him a higher floor than the typical ideal athlete still learning the position. I think Ojabo is a little riskier. I'm also unreasonably scared of college pass rushers that had fantastic running mates.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I wonder where Sewell and Slater as prospects would rank in this tackle class. According to tgg this class at the top is a bunch of giant maulers who can get got since they are a bit lacking in technique, a guy who looks good in pass sets and no one knows if he can do anything else, and ekwonu who is kinda all around solid to good. I would assume Neal would still be OT1 if teams were really hung up on arm length for Sewell and Slater

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Chucktesla posted:

I wonder where Sewell and Slater as prospects would rank in this tackle class. According to tgg this class at the top is a bunch of giant maulers who can get got since they are a bit lacking in technique, a guy who looks good in pass sets and no one knows if he can do anything else, and ekwonu who is kinda all around solid to good. I would assume Neal would still be OT1 if teams were really hung up on arm length for Sewell and Slater

Sewell would be clear OT1; Slater would be OT2 for anyone but the stupidest "BUT HIS HEIGHT" guys. All these dudes are raw or have some obvious flaw that those two didn't really have issues with, but they all have the upside to be just as good from an athleticism standpoint.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Problem with that is Odafe (that's the name he's asked people to use) Oweh was a very solid run defender in college. That gave him a higher floor than the typical ideal athlete still learning the position. I think Ojabo is a little riskier. I'm also unreasonably scared of college pass rushers that had fantastic running mates.

Eh...he was an average run defender who occasionally made absurd plays because he could athletically adjust/recover. Oweh essentially gave max effort in run fits and knew those responsibilities well, but his technique kept him from being a legitimate plus run-defender. He couldn't disconnect his hands and legs yet and would essentially leave a tell where he was going from his hips every single time he would try to get off a block rather than swiping off and stepping into space. He wasn't nearly as lost with a puller in his face or a mauler as Ojabo, and he figured out how to run a gap shoot technique to fit the edge in particular wide. Problem is, he couldn't consistently go inside or bull a guy back then disengage/destroy (e.g. no internal gap control without someone else stunting over, no real two-gapping), meaning defenders could essentially just sell out wide and gamble that he wouldn't have a counter. Those are things that are very hard to train at the NFL level because you get less practice time doing them in game reps due to practice limits. The other problem is that Penn State blitzed a lot so people would go quick game and minimize his abilities to get sacks since 3-step/early release passing plays were how most teams played against Pry's defenses. Makes you look a lot less productive when you're not a literal Kaiju.

If you're comparing them to guys, Oweh looked like a guy who could be Ziggy Ansah where he's just so deeply overwhelming in every physical trait that you're just hoping the team can teach him fast enough to avoid wasting him, with a worst case being Barkevious Mingo where he occasionally gets speed sacks but not much else. Ojabo falls more in the line of Carlos Dunlap/Emmanuel Ogbah--he's not as fast as Oweh who is always be an edge threat. He might have a hair more power to his hands, but Oweh was 5-10 pounds away from having that same power level at better speed. I just think someone thinks they're getting an Aldon Smith/Randy Gregory when he's really a dude who needs to have his hand on the ground to take advantage of his power because he doesn't have true rush LB speed.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Kalli posted:

Double posting because I missed this.

It's wonkery. Thibodeaux and Hamilton are guaranteed top 10 last year as well. I like Stingley more than Surtain or Horn too just off of neither of those dudes showing what Stingley did on tape. Really, I would consider Thibs and Karlaftis over any edge prospect from last year, excepting what Parsons turned into but he wasn't drafted as a true edge. Hutchison probably would've been the top edge in that class even, though he still might not be explicitly top 10.

This is a pretty meh draft, particularly QB, OT, WR, LB, and DT, but that's more a factor of depth than anything else.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A lot of draft pundits are saying that it’s a deep class at OT.

I will ignore all of them.

I’m excited to read your review of what type of OTs will be available at the top of the second. I hope great ones!

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

A lot of draft pundits are saying that it’s a deep class at OT.

I will ignore all of them.

I’m excited to read your review of what type of OTs will be available at the top of the second. I hope great ones!

Remember, deep leans more on the concept of marginal value in draft world than absolute value--lots of similar quality players right now (minimal comparative difference in ability to play right away) or lots of players that ostensibly could all do well (minimal projection difference) which diminishes the need to grab a given player early before there is a significant hit to immediate playability or upside at a position. It's deep in those two senses, but the very top talents just aren't quite the high-end, polished talents you would want to see at the very top, meaning it's deep by virtue of not having an elite OT that emerges as a blue-chip prospect.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/falcfans/status/1496606337500917760

Eagerly looking forward to the pats missing/skipping all the flashy guys and taking Jordan Davis (or trading down)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Fingers crossed that Central Michigan pipeline continues and that kids the next coming of Joe Staley

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just want free agency to come and go. My opinion on this upcoming draft is going to be radically different if the Bengals still have the same set of names in the interior offensive line going into it.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I've seen George karlaftis mocked to the Chargers a few times the past couple weeks, can he play 4i or rush OLB or are people wishcasting him to them regardless of fit

Also, Devonte Wyatt. Is he good at that whole 4i/nose tackle thing

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 24, 2022

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

I've seen George karlaftis mocked to the Chargers a few times the past couple weeks, can he play 4i or rush OLB or are people wishcasting him to them regardless of fit

Also, Devonte Wyatt. Is he good at that whole 4i/nose tackle thing

4i or 5 tech, he's not playing off the line meaningfully

Wyatt's definitely not a nose--more of a 3-tech in the vein of like a DreMont Jones who can move around a bit but lives in the 1-4 tech spots. He's big enough I actually think he could 2-gap consistently and did at times, but he's fast enough to pass rush--just not as a pure speed guy

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

TheGreyGhost posted:

4i or 5 tech, he's not playing off the line meaningfully

He's like 275 pounds, I know Staley wants his defensive line playing at a lighter weight than most but is that pushing it a little too light, can he play that 4i in the NFL at that weight or do you think he has a frame that can handle adding 5-10 pounds without losing much from his game?

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 24, 2022

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Chucktesla posted:

He's like 275 pounds, I know Staley wants his defensive line playing at a lighter weight than most but is that pushing it a little too light, can he play that 4i in the NFL at that weight or do you think he has a frame that can handle adding 5-10 pounds without losing much from his game?

275 is solid for a DE. Hell Myles Garrett is listed at 270 and Elder Bosa at 275.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Ches Neckbeard posted:

275 is solid for a DE. Hell Myles Garrett is listed at 270 and Elder Bosa at 275.

There is a difference between even front and odd front defensive ends

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

There is a difference between even front and odd front defensive ends

This is where I'm going to go with the effort post, but I think it's an important thing to discuss--how do you defend modern NFL offenses?

For years, the answer was just "sub package and go"--no real changes to the front personnel other than pulling a LB. Problem is, you create the following issues based on your alignment choice with that:

- Classic 4-2-5 alignment. You've got one of two problems. 1. You're running it out of a base Over alignment and leaving a B-gap open, which you may remember is a gap that's extremely desirable for modern Wide Zone offenses to target, which they do with gusto. 2. You're doing it out of an Under alignment and forcing a LB to simultaneously cover a TE in the passing game from 5 yards back while trying to cover a C gap that forces him to look inside first on play action before moving to cover a TE.

- Classic 3-3-5 alignment (e.g. Nickel is closer to a cover safety). You've also got two problems. 1. Your ILB is on an island and is liable to cover either direction based on which OLB you're blitzing, meaning they're vulnerable on wheel routes and getting sealed off on zone blocks if OLB isn't walked up. 2. Your pass rush is dependent on stunts, slants, and overloading to get pressure because 30 stack requires the LBs to play off the LOS, which means you're at the mercy of your own calls more than usual.

Enter the Tite Front:

Take a 4-3 Under or 3-3-5 alignment conceptually and imagine for a second that your goal was to give up nothing easy on the ground. If you know football, that means your goal is to eliminate the A and B gaps and force a RB to have to run sideways to get space. So how do you do that? You essentially turn the personnel of a 3-3-5 into an old 5-2 front, minus the 5-2's desire to purely shoot gaps.. the DEs play inside of the Ts shoulder to guarantee that the B gaps are covered at the line. The NT will either 1-gap and cover a single A-gap with an ILB covering the other one downhill (think the D'onta Hightower style thumper ILB) or 2-gap and dare a RB to beat the LB to a messy A-gap. The LBs then essentially occupy a weird space where one is a hybrid DE/LB that rushes at a C gap while the weakside backer covers a C gap from behind. If an offense wants a clean gap, they have to go Outside zone and aim for a theoretical D gap beyond a TE's reach, and that's assuming the DC hasn't told at least one defensive lineman to two-gap and change the run fit with a DE to let one of the LBs go wide.

When you hear a coach say they want to "spill and kill", this is what they're talking about--making a guy run 5 yards wide to get 1 yard forward. If we're talking about efficiency and sabermetrics, anything that causes an offense to expend more energy running wide or laterally to get forward margin is inherently beneficial--it costs me nothing to let you run to the numbers before you can cut north-south while it costs you more stamina in your backfield. So, what does this mean for an NFL team building a roster? Versatility is important. Ideally, you want those 3 down linemen to be capable of fitting either an odd or even front at any time--because the variety of not knowing if a run fit is trying to shoot gaps or clog for LBs to clean up will make a RB tentative and an OC desperate for answers. My goal would be to have a DT that is literally Vince Wilfork and have two DEs that are essentially Michael Bennett or JJ Watt--guys who can go do anything.

Which brings me to Karlaftis and actually answering the question. I don't know that he's a guy I want trying to do that. When you look at his abilities--he's essentially an ideal one-gap power rusher. I see a dude who will demolish a TE or T the same way with an insane number of hand counters, long-arm slips, and tenacity. A guy who fits the 4i role in a tite front needs to do that or be able to go right at a guy with the intent that they can react and flow once they get push--that's where I wonder if he's got enough. He's capable of getting the push you need to two-gap, but I don't see a guy who is long or lateral enough to grab a guy out of a gap himself. Think of it as the inverse to Hutchison--who is long enough to do anything but stiff and not always capable of generating the power to two-gap. Now, it's entirely possible that he can manage two gaps and has only shown issues doing so because the LB/S covering behind him was too slow fitting the run or made bad reads to force him to clean things up, but elite 2-gap guys essentially solve for that problem themselves and make it so a LB can just react and kill, which I just don't see on the tape yet. He's also not a dude who probably can put on much more weight for his frame, but I don't think that's an explicit limiting factor--he would be the DE aligned to whatever LB rushes most of the time anyways to give him some help. You usually want a 4i guy around 285 if you can help it, but it's more a matter of if they're strong enough to go straight at a T/G at times which he is--it's what comes after that you worry about. If I'm Staley, he's a very redundant piece with Bosa that would require essentially the mother of all NTs to constantly 2-gap and LBs that are very comfortable walking up and block shedding. He's a better fit for essentially the Bengals/Browns/Seahawks school of defense where they can adjust his responsibilities and let him cook at a 5-tech in my mind, but he's also a guy who is so smart and relentless that it won't surprise me if he outperforms what I think he is once he's got supporting talent that actually helps him.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Thanks for the effort post, I understood a little bit about how tite fronts work but never quite how the linebackers and edge rushers play into it so this was useful. It sounds like the chargers should just draft Jordan Davis and let him be a mountain on first and second down, and hope he can improve his conditioning and maybe lose an extra 10-20 pounds

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

Thanks for the effort post, I understood a little bit about how tite fronts work but never quite how the linebackers and edge rushers play into it so this was useful. It sounds like the chargers should just draft Jordan Davis and let him be a mountain on first and second down, and hope he can improve his conditioning and maybe lose an extra 10-20 pounds

Yeah Davis would fundamentally change some math in the front assuming his conditioning issues are improving like they appeared to be in the postseason.

Alternatively, if you want a guy who can move around, maybe take a swing at Travon Walker. You already have Bosa to be a pure pass rusher, so having a guy around 280 who could gap shoot a little (not as well as the high end prospects) but with the size, power, and length to two gap, just a need to work on the hand and arm movements associated.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the big thing with guys like Karlaftis and Ojabo is that they never leave the field for stamina reasons and that's like so loving important it's stupid. Life should be more like a video game.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

I think the big thing with guys like Karlaftis and Ojabo is that they never leave the field for stamina reasons and that's like so loving important it's stupid. Life should be more like a video game.

It's especially crazy with Karlaftis because that defense is just out there forever.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Daniel Faalele - Minnesota
I'm very very upset at what's happened to our boy in college. First off, let's just clear this up, he's the absolute largest loving T prospect in history man. He's 6'9 380, and I think that underlists his weight. Much less, he's so goddamn fast for that weight. He might run a 5.0 flat and a respectable 3-cone. You want length in a tackle prospect? He'll give you some length and an absolutely laughable amount of power to his punches. Really, that leads into his strengths--his initial punch and ability to drive, reach, or just anchor are like watching a defender face a robot made of tungsten and hate. When he gets leverage and a hand in the right spot, you die. If you go directly at him, you die. Your best hope is having a very technical speed rusher who can bend the tiny margin of space needed to get around him who can take advantage of his hand placement being very green, grabby, and inconsistent.

So why am I so sad? Because he could be the greatest T prospect of all time if he went somewhere that ran an actual offense. If you haven't watched the recent Minnesota offense, I can't stress enough how unfun and terrible it is to watch. They run a lot of zone blocking, particularly tight/inside zone with wide/outside as a counter move and heavy cutback ability. Zone blocking and cutbacks can be fun to watch, but the way Minnesota runs it, they essentially just call "everyone block left and the back will figure it out". It almost reads like a running play with no actual aims other than to hit people and hope the RB figures it out. So, he's going to be essentially new to power/counter principles, and you're going to need to fix his understanding of how far to go on zone blocks, but those are all things you can learn if you're this athletic. Oh, he also has one of the worst vertical pass sets (or lack thereof) you'll ever see. Essentially, he treats every rep like quick game where he over punches and can get countered easily. Now, because he's huge, that gives some margin because a guy still has to get around him, but it's going to be dicey if he went somewhere like KC and they asked him to hold up downfield. Someone's gotta figure out how to get him to tamp down and mirror on long drops. He's also very easy to spoof with stunts/pulls. He'll hit you if he sees you, but he doesn't always see you. He's also pretty tall in his pad level at times, but I don't think that's going to kill him at this weight even if it isn't necessarily ideal. I think he could be a valuable piece in an RPO/Quick game heavy offense or one where the TE is lined up to his side a bunch to force a LB/DE to declare what they're doing, but he's very raw and absolutely incapable of being a LT at present. He's like a mega-size/speed DJ Fluker right now.

Bernhard Raimann - Central Michigan
The other international prospect. He's a more traditional tackle frame 6'7 300ish. He's been a classic "show up to play TE, get huge, go play T" guy that happens a bunch in college. When I watch him, the first thing that jumps out is how smooth he is moving around--solid foot placement and lateral movement to where you would immediately trust him to mirror just based on his feet. He's also got great hip ability--guys who hold up on long developing passes tend to be endurance players who have to keep shifting perpendicular when they move and need to keep their feet on the ground and pointed at the defender's shoulders. Similarly, he's got some of the best length in the class--on par with a Neal or Faalele or Penning. I also love his ability to move and get downfield--he can do lateral steps, but he'll get 30 yards downfield looking for guys and move well doing it, in the event he wins early.

When I watch him play, my biggest concern right now is his hand movement and upper body. At lower levels in college, you can cover a lot of ills by being big and getting in the way from a pure limb length standpoint. Guys like Penning flash in FCS because they try to win reps with strength and power rather than just not lose a rep with mirroring. Raimann can't do that right now. He's been bullrushed to good effect without the hand counters to toss the defenders arms off. He's been up and undered by defenders much shorter than him who realized they could destroy him from a pad level standpoint. He's been pushed back and literally thrown by guys he's 50 pounds bigger than. It's weird to see a guy this big, with this good of feet, get pushed hard, and it's a sign his upper body and hips up need serious work. I think he could play at like 330 if he gained the weight, but you need to trap him in a weight room with a power rack and gallons of milk if you want him to seriously play LT or RT. He's just not a guy who can pancake right now--lots of lock ups and technical wins, but he's weird in this class for just not being a mauler at all. When his hands are good, he can lock on, but he's a velcro guy. Someone might see his movement ability and try to make him a G, but I just think that's a big mistake for as long as he is and how much he lacks initial power at times--pulling might help but he's gotta get low enough to use it. He reminds me a little bit of Greg Little or Taylor Moton where he has some really great physical traits right now but just isn't showing me everything I would want for a high-end prospect on tape yet.

Abraham Lucas - Washington State
My last long-form guy. He's sort of the ideal "good at a lot of things but not great" prospect from what I see. First thing that jumps out is that he's such a consistent mover and has insanely good feet and hand discipline in the passing game, particularly on mid-long drops where he's got to move a lot to do things. He doesn't waste movements, even if he's not explosive or the fastest guy. He's definitely a redirection T, which works well in the offense he was in. He's also acutely aware of his own limits--he'll cheat back on speed guys or in on power guys, which is something you like in the event you have a plus guard next to him that he can work well off of. He's a placement guy, and a lot of his run blocking is behind other guys in the class, but he gets his hands where he's supposed to--just needs to work on getting stickier and applying his mirror locks to a drive block.

Problem is, I don't see a way you can anchor a line with him. He's not an explosive hand or leg guy and can get folded up--particularly scary in a Pac-12 with weak line play. If you put a Bosa or Watt on him, I don't know that he has enough strength to hold up consistently if he can't win off of technical prowess. Similarly, I don't know that you can make him much better. He plays with as good of a pad level as you can ask and doesn't look like he has that much space to add mass, so you might be hoping for something that won't develop here. I see a guy who can be a swing tackle right away, but I struggle a bit with what to do. If you're pass-happy, you could probably make him a RT, particularly if you run zone/combo blocks where he can take advantage of movement and placement. If you're run happy, I don't know that I trust him on a reach/power/counter setup as a consistent lead-side RT. Similarly, he's vulnerable enough as a bull-rush candidate that if you stick him at LT, I don't know that I want him against the other team's best edge on the blindside. I see a dude who reminds me of Brady Christensen from last year.

Quick hits

Rasheed Walker - Penn State
Sucks. Got bodied by every edge with a pulse for 3 years, lacks any anchor power in his legs. Maybe a G if he can learn to pull? He's athletic enough and has decent hands. Worse version of what you get with Raimann or Petit-Frere.

Andrew Stueber - Michigan
Looks great in power/counter schemes or even just running duo/iso. I don't think he's nearly quick enough to play LT, but he's long enough to push and gets good power at an attack point--definitely a mauler in the run game but bad pad level and frequently has to tilt back on passing sets. RT prospect maybe

Braxton Jones - Southern Utah
Hate watching him because he's not particularly powerful or smooth, just a length/reach blocker who gets to a spot and moves. Zone blocking prospect but so lacking in power right now that you can't play him at LT short of getting him on the juice.

Max Mitchell - UL
Reminds me a bunch of James Hudson--physically capable of doing anything except a true drive block, lots of mental mistakes that don't jive well with being a finesse blocker. Could get better with weight room time/reps and is decent upside.

Tyler Vrabel - BC
Mike's son. Is always in the right position but never with the right pad level or technique--bizarre for a coach's kid. Not long enough or strong enough in hand placement to be an elite guy despite being stronger than some of the other guys in this phase of the preview. Definitely fast enough to play. Might be a good G prospect.

Zach Tom - Wake
Plays really hard and gets in position with timing, finesse, and hand placement. Above average bend but grossly undersized. The single most bizarre non-service academy offense in CFB at this point but has played forever and could maybe move inside.

Anyone else
I dunno man, maybe they get super fat and strong and prove me wrong, but this really feels like a class of 5-6 guys who could be pretty great, 3-4 who could be good, and a whole bunch of weak finesse guys with the occasional overmatched power T. Not the best class but also far from the worst.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

Daniel Faalele - Minnesota
I'm very very upset at what's happened to our boy in college. First off, let's just clear this up, he's the absolute largest loving T prospect in history man. He's 6'9 380, and I think that underlists his weight. Much less, he's so goddamn fast for that weight. He might run a 5.0 flat and a respectable 3-cone. You want length in a tackle prospect? He'll give you some length and an absolutely laughable amount of power to his punches. Really, that leads into his strengths--his initial punch and ability to drive, reach, or just anchor are like watching a defender face a robot made of tungsten and hate. When he gets leverage and a hand in the right spot, you die. If you go directly at him, you die. Your best hope is having a very technical speed rusher who can bend the tiny margin of space needed to get around him who can take advantage of his hand placement being very green, grabby, and inconsistent.

So why am I so sad? Because he could be the greatest T prospect of all time if he went somewhere that ran an actual offense. If you haven't watched the recent Minnesota offense, I can't stress enough how unfun and terrible it is to watch. They run a lot of zone blocking, particularly tight/inside zone with wide/outside as a counter move and heavy cutback ability. Zone blocking and cutbacks can be fun to watch, but the way Minnesota runs it, they essentially just call "everyone block left and the back will figure it out". It almost reads like a running play with no actual aims other than to hit people and hope the RB figures it out. So, he's going to be essentially new to power/counter principles, and you're going to need to fix his understanding of how far to go on zone blocks, but those are all things you can learn if you're this athletic. Oh, he also has one of the worst vertical pass sets (or lack thereof) you'll ever see. Essentially, he treats every rep like quick game where he over punches and can get countered easily. Now, because he's huge, that gives some margin because a guy still has to get around him, but it's going to be dicey if he went somewhere like KC and they asked him to hold up downfield. Someone's gotta figure out how to get him to tamp down and mirror on long drops. He's also very easy to spoof with stunts/pulls. He'll hit you if he sees you, but he doesn't always see you. He's also pretty tall in his pad level at times, but I don't think that's going to kill him at this weight even if it isn't necessarily ideal. I think he could be a valuable piece in an RPO/Quick game heavy offense or one where the TE is lined up to his side a bunch to force a LB/DE to declare what they're doing, but he's very raw and absolutely incapable of being a LT at present. He's like a mega-size/speed DJ Fluker right now.
Hell yeah this is perfect for my team.

If he was a polished tackle he'd go early first.

As is.... Do you think Faalele will last to the second round?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am officially calling "dibs" on Faalele for whenever the TFF mock draft happens. Even if I'm not in the mock draft. Especially then.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hell yeah this is perfect for my team.

If he was a polished tackle he'd go early first.

As is.... Do you think Faalele will last to the second round?

Most teams that are picking late first don't particularly give much of a poo poo about having a road grader so maybe, but I don't see him falling past like 60 at the moment. If he blows up the combine, that could change pretty quickly. Real talk, the Rams/Niners with him would be one of the funniest things I can think of with his athletic profile and love of hitting people

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Literally the only thing I remember hearing about from the senior bowl was that dude getting beaten over and over again on drills.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The dj fluker comparison makes me like him less for chargers-based reasons

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Literally the only thing I remember hearing about from the senior bowl was that dude getting beaten over and over again on drills.

Yeah, without the added parallels of, "g cutting him off to the right" which lets him cheat his size a given way, he's sort of helpless in a one on one where he can't just punch while you throw a slant, which sucks. He's honestly not that far off of being Greg Robinson which speaks to how much more we value pass protection than we used to.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've reached the "dick around with mock draft websites when I'm sick of working" stage of the off-season.

PFF really wants me to draft Bernhard Raimann, draft network just keeps giving me Zion Johnson.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i tried it and confirmed the bengals are trading down a couple spots and getting a 2023 third round selection from a bad team, then taking zion johnson at 35

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel confident saying that I will be long dead before the Bengals trade up in the first round.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/gdowning14/status/1497286166931984385

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, he would be a really good fit for that running game and lack of desire to throw the ball like crazy. You can slow down bull rush guys from coming at you with effective PA/scramble threats in an offense. Really, he's the most Steeler/Raven lineman in the draft where he would get flagged to eternity on the Browns or Bengals but will just get called "tough" or "physical" on those teams.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I'm surprised to see Kentucky's Darian Kinnard left off the tackle list. Consensus 1st Team AA, 30 knockdowns as a SR, PFF graded at 85+ over the season in the run game and in pass protect. Looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl as well.

Probably not a LT in the NFL (although the Dare Rosenthal transfer robbed us of a chance to find out - Kinnard started a couple of games as a FR at LT) but a mauling RT prospect for sure. I think he'll go as high as near the top of the 2nd round.

Former Everything fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2022

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

How are the two OK State safeties, Tre Sterling and Kolby Harvell-Peel, as prospects?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Former Everything posted:

I'm surprised to see Kentucky's Darian Kinnard left off the tackle list. Consensus 1st Team AA, 30 knockdowns as a SR, PFF graded at 85+ over the season in the run game and in pass protect. Looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl as well.

Probably not a LT in the NFL (although the Dare Rosenthal transfer robbed us of a chance to find out - Kinnard started a couple of games as a FR at LT) but a mauling RT prospect for sure. I think he'll go as high as near the top of the 2nd round.

I gave him as a day 2 G. He sucks at reach blocking to cut off a speed rush and can get countered back if he cheats wide to start, can’t run vertical pass sets without the size/lateral ability combo to guarantee some amount of time. He’s on tape straight missing hand placement on reps where he’s not only in 2-point but facing a guy in a 7 tech where there’s no mystery what he’s doing. I think he can be an elite guard with his power and pad level, but he only moves laterally with his hips turned which screams interior puller, not T. Maybe if he drops some weight you get away with him at RT, but that’s more of a gamble than just maximize him being and elite run blocker with good power and toughness who doesn’t have to mirror wide and carry guys down the pocket.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Tyler Vrabel - BC
Mike's son. Is always in the right position but never with the right pad level or technique--bizarre for a coach's kid. Not long enough or strong enough in hand placement to be an elite guy despite being stronger than some of the other guys in this phase of the preview. Definitely fast enough to play. Might be a good G prospect.

That's kind of what I worry about with the Dolphins hiring BC's OL coach, Vrabel doesn't seem like he's taken to coaching particularly well. Then I see Zion Johnson's technique and stand up and salute my computer, so who knows.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Hamhandler posted:

That's kind of what I worry about with the Dolphins hiring BC's OL coach, Vrabel doesn't seem like he's taken to coaching particularly well. Then I see Zion Johnson's technique and stand up and salute my computer, so who knows.

I mean, not taking coaching can happen for a lot of reasons. Flip side with coach’s kids is that they often have so many dudes in their ear that they’ll lock in on bad advice if it comes from the right person. Sometime, coaches in general just don’t reach a given kid in a way that affects them. Personality and teaching style is something you’re only going to hear more about with the youth movement among coaches, and the days of running 90% of the same offensive playbook as everyone with the difference being grit or toughness are done.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/DP_NFL/status/1479650072900120576

will he get past Belichick at 21 is the question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hamhandler posted:

https://twitter.com/DP_NFL/status/1479650072900120576

will he get past Belichick at 21 is the question

Might be the big riser if he proves he's not that slow at the combine. Leonhard's defense is all about shallow blitz packages so if LBs are good in it they produce big and make me fall for them like Zack Baun or van Ginkel. Chenal can't cover worth a poo poo so who knows where he'll be in nickel packages in the NFL. Could totally see him sticking in heavy fronts though. He'll be able to move in the mess and stick his guy. My one big problem with him and you can see it in that tape is no power behind those hands. He doesn't put leverage when he pops a block and relies more on wrenching and movement to shed. I don't think that'll be a big problem with how LBs like him are used in the NFL but it's more that he won't be able to blow up lead blockers as easily as he can now. That's coachable though and all about using those hips to drive more while extending his arms. Kind of like a mental thing really powerful LBs fall for in the same way RBs who are used to blowing up everyone in high school get to college and forget to churn their in piles.