Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

Pretty sure multiple mods said NOT to do this.

It's fine to do this but also broken clock for US intelligence. They were right to be skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Zurtilik posted:

Pretty sure multiple mods said NOT to do this.

I didn't know. I rarely read C-Spam and catching up on how quickly this thread gets posts is a lot.

However, I will happily cop a ban/probation over it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's pointless to try moralizing great power politics. It's all awful end to end. All of them are bad and doing terrible things across the globe. Trying to find unique villains is falling for someone's propaganda and is inevitably overlooking some other great power's culpability in creating the situation.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So does Putin have an endgame here? I can't imagine neutral disarmament is going to be an option for Ukraine after this (even if they promise it in the short term). So are the Russians going to go for a regime change instead?

Regime changed with some light annexation to link Crimea to mainland Russia, as a treat

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Femur posted:

Lol i love how rich people hate kids.

And maybe love microplastic

Rich people love kids, don't you read the Epstein thread?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

500 good dogs posted:

lol they really did, absolutely zero support on the ground as they're getting destroyed

It's funny how people keep on putting such a level of faith in western organizations like NATO and the EU.

Especially how the EU/NATO instigated a high-risk expansion and then cut + run when it went south.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Whaaat? You mean its not because Putin is an addled strongman desperately clutching at relevance and his country's long gone glory days as his body and mind deteriorates? There's a valid geopolitical objective???

I mean, if you consider imperialism a valid geopolitical objective, sure.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So does Putin have an endgame here? I can't imagine neutral disarmament is going to be an option for Ukraine after this (even if they promise it in the short term). So are the Russians going to go for a regime change instead?

If you're going to invade you may as well install a puppet

Or probably ideally for him he gets Zelensky to fall in line by exposing the west as fairweather friends

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

papersack posted:

It's fine to do this but also broken clock for US intelligence. They were right to be skeptical.

Thats more where I was at. They were saying imminent for a month.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hrmm
Let me test this

Putin is an addled strongman desperately clutching at relevance and his country's long gone glory days as his body and mind deteriorate.

And the US and NATO served him up Ukraine like a slice of prime rib at Golden Corral

okay fair a good take

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I was unfortunately and sadly, wrong.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Budzilla posted:

Before you hit the quote/reply button. I am not smug over this post

I hope (but really loving doubt) that some of you can get some introspective of how wrong you were.

unsure what you want people to be introspective of. Trusting the US government? That's the reason why I didn't think they'd invade until Monday.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zurtilik posted:

I was unfortunately and sadly, wrong.

shut up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

pass the popcorn please

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Budzilla posted:

I hope (but really loving doubt) that some of you can get some introspective of how wrong you were.

I'm glad you got the war you wanted. Was it everything you hoped for?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

unsure what you want people to be introspective of. Trusting the US government? That's the reason why I didn't think they'd invade until Monday.

maybe next time the cia tells you something don't be so quick to dismiss fella :smug:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Max Boot AND David Frum with this take, now!

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1496967376486686730

It's so affirming to see people learn from their own mistakes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Chemtrailologist posted:

gonna take another look at this havana syndrome thing with a more open mind

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
i will never trust us intelligence and you can't make me

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

david frump

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

My garbage disposal is starting to smell despite the lemons I’m putting down there, how does this apply to the maneuvering of great powers?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

Because people are using a tragedy to own their posting enemies?

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/336048706853937152

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
look everyone says "believe victims" so i was just believing the biggest victim here, poor zelensky, who said that the US was wrong about an imminent attack

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

CaptainACAB posted:

oh i wanted to post the Only Correct Take here, since i see everyone losing it in the forest:

The only reason this is happening is because the USSR was illegally dissolved against the will of it's people. The CPSU is the legitimate government of both the illegally occupied Ukranian SSR and the illegally occupied Russian SFSR. It was never defeated in a free or fair election, but was overthrown in a CIA and IMF backed bandit coup.

Putin represents those same bandits who destroyed the greatest workers' state that has ever existed, immiserated it's people, looted their society and cast them into darkness and warfare where previously there was peace and prosperity. Soviet brothers are now forced to kill each other when they once lived in harmony. This does not, of course, mean that we should side with the IMF backed Ukranian fascists and liberals, as they represent nothing more than another faction of bandits.

What we should support, instead, is the withdrawl of BOTH illegal occupation forces and a return of the country to it's legitimate government, which is the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

Quoting for this page

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Budzilla posted:

lmao I love that you think the lesson here is not to be skeptical of the state dept line.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Budzilla posted:

lol that's the good stuff

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the unverified reports from the US aren’t enough on their own and a troop build up while ominous isn’t a sign of an invasion.

It is when the peacekeepers came in and the other troops didn’t move back, it was clear it wasn’t just a bluff.

If the lesson is “always trust US intelligence,” I don’t think that one is going to fly especially since they jumped the gun multiple times from bad intel.

Granted, I also think, there was always some chance of invasion, it just only became more certain much closer to the actual date. (That said, I think a lot of it just boiled to posting vendettas more anything else so meh w/e.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Feb 25, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Also, it is going to take time to take random guys off the street and make them in any way usable as soldiers, not like literally 48 hours.

Typically 8 months. So, in time to form the new, Pro-Russian army I guess.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/582516829920219136

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

this is why ukraine lost

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Blaming this on the delusions of a madman is a loving easy out, but at the same time I don't see the upside for Putin here. The only way they get a firm W is if they meet their own demands, annihilation of the Ukrainan military (lol) and recognizition of the breakaway states, through force and then immediately leave. Putin gets to look strong, NATO looks weak, the baltic states are shown that NATO wont protect them, and Russia reiterates that they could have been appeased. I don't loving know anything anymore.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Budzilla posted:

I didn't know. I rarely read C-Spam and catching up on how quickly this thread gets posts is a lot.

However, I will happily cop a ban/probation over it.
Curious how you had all those receipts handy when you don't read C-SPAM that often. I am very smart.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Curious how you had all those receipts handy when you don't read C-SPAM that often. I am very smart.

Let him gloat, what else is the dog gonna do when it catches the car?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

No loving way they reportedly just opened the portal again

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Majorian posted:

lmao I love that you think the lesson here is not to be skeptical of the state dept line.

I dunno about Budzilla and yeah the American foreign policy apparatus is not to be trusted but the evidence for all this poo poo was plain to see for a couple weeks. The CIA didn't conjure hundreds of thousands of Russian troops on Ukraine's border.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm glad you got the war you wanted. Was it everything you hoped for?
Why would I be hopeful for war? You will need better bait than that.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I support whichever side the werewolves are on they're so dreamy

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Why would I be hopeful for war? You will need better bait than that.

Out of curiosity, why did you think there would be an invasion?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao he is just now figuring this out lmao

Not clear to me at all. Saying it earlier while there was still some margin for doubt might have gotten him couped.