Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

In retrospect it is a lot easier to predict an invasion when you refuse to budge on anything of note and publicly state repeatedly you won't intervene militarily.

One thing you can always count on from authoritarian regimes: they'll happily eat poo poo diplomatically over and over without ever trying to use force. After all their entire domestic position isn't tied into projecting strength. I can imagine Putin going on Russian TV to announce "sorry guys I tried" before he sends the troops home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SorePotato posted:

No loving way they reportedly just opened the portal again

there's at least a lot of radiation captured in the upper layers of soil all around the reactor, which is trivially released into the air by tanks and dramatically increased air traffic, etc.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Why would I be hopeful for war? You will need better bait than that.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

In great empires the people who live in the capital, and in the provinces remote from the scene of action, feel, many of them scarce any inconveniency from the war; but enjoy, at their ease, the amusement of reading in the newspapers the exploits of their own fleets and armies. To them this amusement compensates the small difference between the taxes which they pay on account of the war, and those which they had been accustomed to pay in time of peace. They are commonly dissatisfied with the return of peace, which puts an end to their amusement, and to a thousand visionary hopes of conquest and national glory, from a longer continuance of the war.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SorePotato posted:

they’re going to prove to us all that they can stop the reaction by throwing more boron and sand on it.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TipTow posted:

I dunno about Budzilla and yeah the American foreign policy apparatus is not to be trusted but the evidence for all this poo poo was plain to see for a couple weeks. The CIA didn't conjure hundreds of thousands of Russian troops on Ukraine's border.

I don't think anyone here claimed they did. A lot of us thought the costs for Putin would be too high for him to follow through with an invasion. We were wrong on that. When organizations like the State Dept, CIA, DOD, etc have lied to the public so often and for so long, i think it's pretty understandable that a lot of us thought they were crying wolf again. In this one instance they weren't. Doesn't mean we were wrong to be skeptical of them in general.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/kvnrogan/status/1496981318403387406

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

God I'd hate to be CaptainACAB. Imagine being Ma-Ti in this analogy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TipTow posted:

I dunno about Budzilla and yeah the American foreign policy apparatus is not to be trusted but the evidence for all this poo poo was plain to see for a couple weeks. The CIA didn't conjure hundreds of thousands of Russian troops on Ukraine's border.

There were arms build ups before, this one was larger but that on its own isn’t enough. I would say Putin’s intentions were only clear later.

Granted, I am not surprised the Russians would be willing to take losses for a political objective and I thought the mud thing was kind of dumb. I mean Ukraine isn’t just a giant mud pile or just a sheet of ice or whatever.
It is more “is he going to pull the trigger or not” and the quality of US intelligence was generally very poor, so no one knew really what believe until he was about to pull the trigger.

It was quite a bluff to be sure since it is kind of an insane conflict when you get down to it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Feb 25, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you're going to invade you may as well install a puppet

Or probably ideally for him he gets Zelensky to fall in line by exposing the west as fairweather friends

The Russians didn't install a puppet government in Georgia after the 08 War. I don't see why they would do so here.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

SorePotato posted:

What is 'the portal'?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

thank you working hard!!!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Currrrrrrrrrrsed

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

A militarized Taiwan is in a better position than Japan or Korea to threaten Chinese shipping lanes though.

Taiwan is already militarized. They spend billions on defense and basically have the same missile porcupine strategy as Iran. In a general war with China they would absolutely wreak havoc on Chinese shipping because most of China's big ports are within range of Taiwanese missile batteries.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1497003682516410379?s=20&t=r3LMf33hrEGU9D6SnkKHoQ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Majorian posted:

God I'd hate to be CaptainACAB. Imagine being Ma-Ti in this analogy.

gently caress I should have made him Gi.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Let him gloat, what else is the dog gonna do when it catches the car?
how's the invasion going tho

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

gently caress NATO

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone here claimed they did. A lot of us thought the costs for Putin would be too high for him to follow through with an invasion. We were wrong on that.

Yeah, I expected NATO to at least push some heavy sanctions but leaving energy out seems pretty weak.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
How hard would it be to actually gently caress up the sarcophagus in Chernobyl with munitions, it’s like a lot of concrete and steel right?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol absolutely cursed

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

TheMightyBoops posted:

How hard would it be to actually gently caress up the sarcophagus in Chernobyl with munitions, it’s like a lot of concrete and steel right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I expected NATO to at least push some heavy sanctions but leaving energy out seems pretty weak.

Didn't the gas deal with the Germans fall through before the invasion start it? That feels like it could have caused a "gently caress it, nothing left to lose" calculation from Putin.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zurtilik posted:

Pretty sure multiple mods said NOT to do this.

listens to mods, reported

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

how's the invasion going tho

A little too well imo

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

TheMightyBoops posted:

The first sarcophagus fell apart on its own. I don't think it would be that hard.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Kill All Cops posted:

apparently thread bans arent a thing here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:hmmyes:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

all the other planeteers got to do stupid poo poo like spraying people with water and making the ground rumble so they trip while ma-ti got loving mind control I'll never understand all the hate for him

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

TipTow posted:

So NATO is off-limits in the DnD thread (unless you're thirsting for their weapons) and if you say anything even remotely critical of Russia in here you get dogpiled by a bunch of tryhard doompilled retards

Is there anywhere on this godforsaken site to discuss the war with people who aren't brain damaged?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

There it is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OhFunny posted:

The Russians didn't install a puppet government in Georgia after the 08 War. I don't see why they would do so here.

Reportedly they wanted to get rid of Saakashvili, Lavrov even told Condi Rice that they wanted him gone in private but she immediately revealed it at the UN and they backed down from that demand

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone here claimed they did. A lot of us thought the costs for Putin would be too high for him to follow through with an invasion.

In fairness we may still be tallying up the cost of this for twenty years. We're not even 24 hours into what could very well metastasize into a really awful chain of events.

FuzzySlippers posted:

My overall impression is that NATO is an apathetic observer to whatever happens to Ukraine.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
post more twitter updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

If it's true Russia has only committed a small portion of their mobilized forces at the border....... there is a small, and hilarious, possibility Ukraine can defeat them in detail lmao

War, ouf, I dunno