Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 11, 1949)

Once again I feel Foster is spoiling the surprise in his "Next Week" blurb, but here's the uncensored version if you can't wait until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/23/02

Brenda Starr 3/25-27/48

:nallears:

"Nurse, 10 cc of hot fudge sundae and start a melted butter IV, stat!"

Smokey Stover 5/19/46

Everyday Movies 11/15/34

"What! Flowers and candy the first week? Say, the possibilities of that boy haven't even been scratched."

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 24, 2022

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Keep your seat, Encyclopedia. No crime has been committed here.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

spookygonk posted:

One thing I've wondered, is the crescent shaped mark under the bar owner's left eye meant to be a scar or a birthmark?

I always thought it was a little metal plate, or cybernetic implant.

Most car washes have big blower fans to remove most of the water from the car. The towel people are there to just buff out any remaining soap or wet patches. This comic strip sucks.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 24, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

One of the things I appreciate about Sally Forth is that Ces frequently seems like he knows what it's like to have an actual goddamn job in 2022, as opposed to this poo poo:

Murdstone posted:

So because of the Will Henry interview I went ahead and joined Jens K Styve's Patreon and I'll give Dunce a try for a little while and see if I like it. I assume it's OK to post it here since we've been getting Crabgrass the same way, but if it's not cool let me know and I'll stop. Anyways if you want to support it too the link's up there!

I'm not saying to stop, I can't make that call, but I do want to point out that this isn't true. Crabgrass was posted openly and publicly on GoComics, Tauhid posted extra strips like Crabgrass: The Teen Years on Patreon, and we all kind of agreed not to post that.

Personally my feelings are that if it's behind an artist-enforced paywall like Patreon then we should leave it alone. Syndicate paywalls are a greyer matter. I don't know what the thread rule/consensus is, I just didn't want us to cite Crabgrass as precedent when it's not.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

What an incredible stretch to go nowhere.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I also always figured the bar tender had a scar just cuz I dunno. Made sense to me haha.

Also Spud :3:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Curtis

What an incredible stretch to go nowhere.

see i think this is a good curtis

there's still no "joke" but the journey makes the end funny in a way that usually doesn't work *dad stares at reader*

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's generic 80s anime cyberpunk markings. Might be a scar, might be a tattoo, might be cybernetic augments but every other person in a cyberpunk setting has one.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I spent a long time designing that WPBSA logo. The real one looked like clip art. My new one is almost pagan in its power.

Today’s comic is a visual tribute to something… but what? 

also, turns out Saoshyant started a John Allison thread in these forums about two weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday (that's what I get for only looking at my subscribed threads). Don't know if I'll keep posting in this thread as it seems kind of silly to have the comic in two places on this forum.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The_Other posted:

Don't know if I'll keep posting in this thread as it seems kind of silly to have the comic in two places on this forum.

I'm sure there are several people in this thread who enjoy following what you post(I do!) and can't be arsed to follow another separate thread(possibly me, though I've already bookmarked it.) It's an inoffensive redundancy either way. Hell, technically you could all just go follow the one twitter I pulled all of Jucika from.

Jucika "54 - Jucika Doesn't Get Wet"

"55 - Jucika's Co-Rental"

Or one bathroom for a set of many apartments.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Please keep Allison's work here - the other thread will peter out WAY before this one.

Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

gleebster posted:

What's the Danish for "Red and Rover"?
People don't usually have "Charles Dickens" as their first name, I don't believe there is anything deeper than that.

Storm P

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Furry Hotel Blowjob

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I'm not saying to stop, I can't make that call, but I do want to point out that this isn't true. Crabgrass was posted openly and publicly on GoComics, Tauhid posted extra strips like Crabgrass: The Teen Years on Patreon, and we all kind of agreed not to post that.

Personally my feelings are that if it's behind an artist-enforced paywall like Patreon then we should leave it alone. Syndicate paywalls are a greyer matter. I don't know what the thread rule/consensus is, I just didn't want us to cite Crabgrass as precedent when it's not.
You know I agree with you.

Looking into it, it seems it is printed in papers in Norway, but I don't know if those are publicly available.

quote:

Newspapers and magazines that are now running the Dunce strip: Klassekampen, Dagbladet, Bergens Tidende, Adresseavisen, Stavanger Aftenblad, Fedrelandsvennen, Firda, Haugesunds Avis, Nordlys, iTromsø, Avisa Nordland, Tidens Krav, Harstad Tidende, Folkebladet i Troms, Altaposten, Framtid i Nord, Lunch, Pondus and Framtida Junior.
I suppose I could just ask him if he minds if I post some old ones here. I chatted with him a little on Patreon and sent him the Will Henry interview, and he seems like a nice guy. Or I could just get the ones in English that are on his Twitter. I'll think about it a little more.

Thanks for clarifying that though. Artists should get paid.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

So much for Savarna not killing anymore.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

cool MODOK

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Carl is extremely relatable here.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Okay yes this is just as stupid as I thought it would be. Belluso just told this guy his entire evil plan for no loving reason, this guy got out of prison and creepily tracked down the Morgans, and he has no loving proof except "I heard this guy say it." Jesus Christ, Rex Morgan is maybe not the absolute worst comic in this thread but it's really close.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Doomykins posted:

I'm sure there are several people in this thread who enjoy following what you post(I do!) and can't be arsed to follow another separate thread(possibly me, though I've already bookmarked it.) It's an inoffensive redundancy either way. Hell, technically you could all just go follow the one twitter I pulled all of Jucika from.
Seconding this. Hell, you could get most of the comics posted here on Gocomics or CK & a good chunk of the rest by knowing which paper's archives you're supposed to be digging through - half the point of this thread is not having to go 5000 places to read comics.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

So much for Savarna not killing anymore.

You can't just quit cold turkey.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay yes this is just as stupid as I thought it would be. Belluso just told this guy his entire evil plan for no loving reason, this guy got out of prison and creepily tracked down the Morgans, and he has no loving proof except "I heard this guy say it." Jesus Christ, Rex Morgan is maybe not the absolute worst comic in this thread but it's really close.

What's more, it's not just that the cartoonishly evil recurring conman gave his cellmate a full confession ahead of time, it's that his plan was:

OLD.

PAPER.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Red bean ice cream bars are famously hard.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

JethroMcB posted:

What's more, it's not just that the cartoonishly evil recurring conman gave his cellmate a full confession ahead of time, it's that his plan was:

OLD.

PAPER.

Oh, dammit, I didn't even notice that part. This almost feels like an Encyclopedia Brown comic now. So probably what's going to happen is that they're going to test the paper and say "The paper is old but the ink isn't, proving he drew those dogs more recently" or some poo poo, which will be Belluso's undoing and the evidence beyond "Some guy said so."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Using "old paper" would make sense if the plot were about a forged medieval manuscript or something, but the drawings in question would only be a few years old. Is there even a test that could tell the difference at that scale?

edit: It does occur to me that maybe they mean that Rene had old, partially used sketchbooks he could add the drawings to, which might make more sense?

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 25, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Medenmath posted:

Using "old paper" would make sense if the plot were about a forged medieval manuscript or something, but the drawings in question would only be a few years old. Is there even a test that could tell the difference at that scale?

edit: It does occur to me that maybe they mean that Rene had old, partially used sketchbooks he could add the drawings to, which might make more sense?

Apparently the solvents in inks take up to two years to evaporate, and you can use a gas chromatograph to check if the ink is younger than that.

Not sure what you do if they were pencil sketches, though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ChaCha Chako getting real

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EBB posted:

ChaCha Chako getting real

It's weird to think the story actually has a conclusion (?).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Schwarzwald posted:

It's weird to think the story actually has a conclusion (?).
As I said at the start, we're really going to slam into it over the next couple days - the story does get wrapped up, and fairly satisfactorily (plus a cute little coda in Chako strips) but we'll be done in about a week of updates.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 10, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 7, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 22, 1930

And that’s all for Gay and Her Gang. Tomorrow, a cat.

Oaky Doaks August 20, 1936

Mopsy October 28, 1937

Up Front January 8, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 5, 1952

Those Were the Days January 22, 1959

Wee Pals May 12, 1966

Dogbert December 28, 1966

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 5/19/46

Just for perspective, $378.60 in 1946 is $5,458.60 in today's money

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Andertoons consistently delivers, and I appreciate you posting it

The_Other posted:

also, turns out Saoshyant started a John Allison thread in these forums about two weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday (that's what I get for only looking at my subscribed threads). Don't know if I'll keep posting in this thread as it seems kind of silly to have the comic in two places on this forum.

Please keep posting them here, I'll just make my witty observations twice. >ahem<

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

Looks like the Riddler has become the Wriggler

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Looks like the Riddler has become the Wriggler

and Bane has become Bake

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Hwurmp posted:

and Bane has become Bake

And Catwoman is being played by Jocelyn Wildstein, good for her

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 5, 1952

Aww, I think this one is kind of sweet

Stressgasm.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Who could have seen THAT coming, or Reagan gets first-hand experience of Romans 6:23, or Oh boy, tomorrow we're going to encounter my 'favourite' character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack