Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's the point. half of HxH is about making plain how messed up these shonen tropes are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think people can handle characters they like being not great people.

Like look how mad people get at Goku is a bad dad despite that being legit the only character growth he’s ever given

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There is no way Kite could have stopped Gon outright, given the kid's personality. Testing him so if he's too weak he'll go do a training arc was the safest and most practical solution for keeping Gon safe.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

chimera ant was one hell of an arc

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

watching the remaining chapters count down lads and im starting to think I might not get the closure I want!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

bitmap posted:

watching the remaining chapters count down lads and im starting to think I might not get the closure I want!!

lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bitmap posted:

It's the closure you deserve.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

as someone new to this series - is the creator like, a super recluse or something? it'd be impressive if he dodges harassment from demanding fans to do more

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

as someone new to this series - is the creator like, a super recluse or something? it'd be impressive if he somehow avoids harassment from demanding fans to do more

does living in a hospital bed count as a recluse?

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 24, 2022

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Kild posted:

does living in a hospital bed count as a recluse?

from what I gather the details on his condition are secretive? but again, if the series is so popular I'm surprised by how much is unknown

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

as someone new to this series - is the creator like, a super recluse or something? it'd be impressive if he dodges harassment from demanding fans to do more

he's married to the sailor moon lady, so he's less famous than his wife.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

from what I gather the details on his condition are secretive? but again, if the series is so popular I'm surprised by how much is unknown

I don’t really think they’re secretive, he had crippling chronic pain because the weird posture he used drawing for so many years (he’s the Yu Yu Hakasho guy among other things) hosed his back up. Beyond that is basically just as obscure as any Japanese comic book author’s personal life is.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The grammar in this thread title has bothered me for years, because I am a bitch baby petty-shitter who wants Leorio to be the main character and use his medicine nen to kill the nazi serial murderer prince, because Kurapika's only okay in small doses and is clearly in over his head, and the only satisfying way to kill Tserriednich is gonna involve average Joes who had Nen forced upon them (Oito) and exceptional Joes who are average with Nen (Leorio).

But English is a bullshit language and translating anything into it is hell and we all deserve to suffer proper-like anyway. Gerunds. Split infinitives. Whatever.

God dammit, just move the word "both" to immediately after the word "of"

ya yahoos.

Edit: Ya loving yahoos

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 25, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't care if it's a weird length season that ends with no resolution, I really want Madhouse to animate the remaining ~50 chapters.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
And they can finish the arc while they’re at it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
hisoka vs chrollo ova with no context would be fine with me

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I don't care if it's a weird length season that ends with no resolution, I really want Madhouse to animate the remaining ~50 chapters.

Lately I've been wondering to myself why manga volumes are allowed to end in the middle of an arc, or even the middle of a scene, but anime cours must end at a break in the action.

Doing it any other way would probably be anarchy, but lately I've been so annoyed at getting 8 episodes of content stretched to 13 episodes, or even 20 episodes of content being rushed through just to get to a finale.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

bitmap posted:

which part are you at? there is a natural stopping point for the series if you want to end it" complete"

but you won't stop there, will you

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oh jay posted:

Lately I've been wondering to myself why manga volumes are allowed to end in the middle of an arc, or even the middle of a scene, but anime cours must end at a break in the action.

Doing it any other way would probably be anarchy, but lately I've been so annoyed at getting 8 episodes of content stretched to 13 episodes, or even 20 episodes of content being rushed through just to get to a finale.

I think that happens with manga cause it can be impractical to push for an “organic” stopping point, either you potentially go under or over on the standard quantity of chapters per volume. Plus, if the manga volume ends on a cliffhanger that either means buying more manga or subscribing to Shonen Jump, so that’s probably the point.

Iirc some authors push for an extra chapter to sometimes be released in the volumes though, I think Eiichro Oda’s said as much in his Q&As.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

volumes will almost certainly keep coming out at a regular pace so long as the manga does

anime adaptations take a lot of time and effort to spin up and unless the anime is well received and profitable, you're not guaranteed a next segment. And even if it is, keeping the team around to work on season 2 doesn't always happen (like OPM having a dream team for S1 and some lesser chumps for S2).

A series like Naruto, where they were committed to producing the animated series for a long time, doesn't have the same restrictions (Naruto ends the first arc at episode 19, and has a 'season break' with no time off in the middle of the second arc)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I've encountered quite a bit of weirdness w/r/t that stuff specifically when looking into the physical sets of Pokemon Adventures. The JP releases, up until they started juggling multiple series at once post-Gen 4 (I think?), were all released normally, in sequence, and occasionally you'd get the tail end of a story arc leaking into the first volume of the next one or a sneak preview of the next arc at the end of the one you're finishing. The English versions changed it so the books are just literally physically larger or smaller to accommodate where story arcs end and begin. This ends up making for some really awkward configurations because they didn't try and redistribute any of it across the adjacent volumes even if it would've made more sense to do so than to have this tiny 4 chapter book sitting next to a big 1.5x honker.

Also if you can believe it that's not even the weirdest thing about the EN release of that series, but that's unrelated to the discussion.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Artelier posted:

which part are you at? there is a natural stopping point for the series if you want to end it" complete"

but you won't stop there, will you

nope! I'm done now. what a bummer, this dark continent stuff got me super pumped up for adventure.

what a weird series. I really liked it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Schubalts posted:

His Nen lets him pass his aura directly through objects, and hear/feel what is inside or just beyond it, but he can also use it to extend his attack range to punch Ging from across the room. It's intended as Nen Ultrasound/X-ray, which is an extremely useful ability for a doctor to have.

Yeah it's a powerful diagnostic tool that also has a bunch of other applications that he didn't think about too much because he was mostly thinking about using it for medicine

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

When you’ve access to a system as powerful as Nen anyone is just a few naive compromises away from being a massive war criminal/the next mengele tbh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and then there's kurapika, who got too cocky after he gamed the system so he thought he could continue to game it indefinitely. lmao forever at steal chain

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I still think it's wild that it took us this long to have someone create a viral nen ability since a doctor was one of the OG psychics from YYH which was a clear prototype for Nen. Then Togashi shoves two of them into the succession war with Sale-Sale and Morena. I find the latter's ability really fascinating because of this because it's a very powerful ability on par with some of the one's we've seen generated by the Gu ritual but presumably made by just a single person as opposed to being some ancient ritual of unknown construction but most likely a group effort in it's inception. Etude of Love is probably enhancement at it's core since it both accelerates the acquisition of nen abilities and increases base aura. Something shared by Halkenburgs Guardian Spirit and Bill's abilities but Etude doesn't fluxuate based on group synergy and creates nen abilities far faster than Bill's. On top of that it replicates itself once it's final condition is met creating as many patient zeroes as there are veteran survivors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was clearly an ability created solely for mindless slaughter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was clearly an ability created solely for mindless slaughter.

Yes but compared to how the gu ritual can give a bunch of crazy potent abilities to the princes, but only one can keep theirs at the end of the day. Or how Bill can help someone develop hatsu but it takes a long time. Morena can just give 22 random psychopaths a french kiss and within 5 minutes they can have their personal Hatsu ready to go while also being potential vectors themselves. Nothing in the initial description says that the ability ceases or has problems if anyone in the same group dies. And if anything that encourages them to fight among themselves because once someone hits level 20 they're worth ten points.

It's just a fun ability for this arc. I know at least 1 spider is going to die to Morena's goons.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Lmao forever at steal chain

There's a long traditon of shonen protagonists burning their lifespan for short-term power. Kurapikia might be the first to burn it for no good reason because he hosed up by trying to game his nen powers too hard.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It also doesn't mean anything when most shonen protags do it because they'll die for their dreams or their friends or to stop the bad guy or whatever and you're never going to actually see the consequences of it nor will they ever care about those consequences, but Kurapika has a very specific task with a very specific end goal in mind and shaving that much time off the clock makes achieving it that much harder. Dude's a headcase and the vague "reduced lifespan" condition is actually impactful to someone like him, who's always overthinking everything to begin with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not even a power he particularly needs for his goal. unlike emperor time, kurapika doesn't skip steps toward mastery with his borrowed nen so what good is it against the spiders?

also, even without getting caught up in the succession contest kurapika's dream was already dead. he blew his one chance. the spiders have already refilled their ranks and if not for hisoka they probably would have already hunted him down.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I was more referring to him retrieving all the eyes, the Spiders are pretty secondary at this point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not even a power he particularly needs for his goal. unlike emperor time, kurapika doesn't skip steps toward mastery with his borrowed nen so what good is it against the spiders?

also, even without getting caught up in the succession contest kurapika's dream was already dead. he blew his one chance. the spiders have already refilled their ranks and if not for hisoka they probably would have already hunted him down.

Stealing a nen ability gives you unmatched versatility if you're clever enough to use them. See: Chrollo. It's basically an out for Kurapika to go "Wow I never thought of making an ability like that, that's super useful." and then being able to do it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I just saw it and need time to process, but the Gon kills Pitou episode might be a top moment in the show for me... So satisfying to see a royal guard get crushed - finally - but at such a heartbreaking cost.

This hit me in the feels, to put it bluntly

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s one hell of a moment. i like that it’s not even a fight, like the whole thing is decided in one punch and then Gon spends the next 10-15 minutes methodically punching Pitou’s face in for catharsis instead of just using Scissors and being done with it, which probably doesn’t help the recoil effect afterwards.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My favorite part of the whole series is that bit where Gon meets Pitou again while Pitou is trying to save Komugi and Pitou is begging Gon to let them finish healing her.

The turn-around from when they first met and Pitou effortlessly, almost casually killed Kite and Gon freaked out and swore revenge, to Gon standing over them, having trained for this moment, full of anger, only for Pitou to beg his mercy, not for their own sake, but so they can save someone else important to the King; a selfless act born of love (and Pitou does love the King, in a way the other two Royal Guards don't). Pitou doesn't even care if they die, just please, please, let them finish this one, all-important task. Even cripples their own arm as a show of sincerity.

Just a great scene with some great build-up and a lot of raw emotion.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That scene is pretty much the peak of Hunter X Hunter, it’s the culmination of Gon’s rapidly deteriorating psyche as he has to be talked out of murdering a blind girl basically just because it’s something Pitou doesn’t want to happen by his ex-assassin best friend, and then uses his senses of observation to just creep the ever living poo poo out of Pitou.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I love the chimerant arc, but I always find it really funny that Zeno Zoldyck shows up, unleashes a massive attack that does nothing except hit a sickly blind girl, then leaves

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
一日一殺

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

I love the chimerant arc, but I always find it really funny that Zeno Zoldyck shows up, unleashes a massive attack that does nothing except hit a sickly blind girl, then leaves

It really wasn't meant to do any damage to anything stronger than a low level soldier, it was basically just to cause chaos and give Netero and Zeno an opening to get Meruem away from the Royal Guards while the others were keeping them busy.

Bad Seafood posted:

[Episode 116]

Abso loving lutely. What an absolutely killer scene. Tremendously animated and voice acted as well.