Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Played a few hours, found a thing that deposited me at the far eastern side of the map and did some exploring of what feels like endgame (or very close to it) areas. Met a hosed up big man, got some very nice views of the big tree and fell prey to some lol worthy traps.
I'll go back to the starting area and actually try to follow the "plot" for a bit, but that area and its enemies are pretty cool looking.

Overall a good experience, it's fun to explore a completely unknown game and to have no idea of what's coming next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So far, this is actually pretty good. Surprisingly closer to BotW than I expected, though I don’t think it reaches THOSE heights. I’m definitely really bad at Soulsborne gameplay, though.

I went Astrologer and I’m fine if I can get some hits in but if the enemy has a shield or if there’s more than one enemy I am megafucked.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems like you can just ignore all the crafting unless you want to use those items.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This thing on PC isn't even making my 2070 Super blow its fans at whatever the default settings it detected are (prob high on most things), but it goes from solid 60 fps to stutters and frame drops randomly. I think most of the issues regarding performance are things that need to be optimized or patched out, it doesn't seem like it puts any kind of load on my GPU, though i'm sure it would if I try to run at 4k.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems like you can just ignore all the crafting unless you want to use those items.

i mean, yeah, i don't get what makes some people go red in the loving face about the concept in this game because you can just grab poo poo on the move when traveling anyways and otherwise not really care? it's all random consumable crap you might have just been bulk buying in the souls games anyways. it's fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

There is? I think I missed it?

Drop down the hole with a ghost sitting next to it in the starting area (before entering the open world)

The boss is tough though heads up

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Danger posted:

drat the area to the east is straight out of a Bakshi painting

currently updating my drivers and pounding one fist in nthe air imagining this

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

BabyRyoga posted:

This thing on PC isn't even making my 2070 Super blow its fans at whatever the default settings it detected are (prob high on most things), but it goes from solid 60 fps to stutters and frame drops randomly. I think most of the issues regarding performance are things that need to be optimized or patched out, it doesn't seem like it puts any kind of load on my GPU, though i'm sure it would if I try to run at 4k.

Me too. I've tried turning it to lowest settings, playing offline, disabling control flow guard and setting it to high performance graphics in windows, and nothing even makes a dent. Now I'm going to try a pirated version even though I bought the game legit because someone said it might be the anti-cheat doing it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

this game is loving wild and the sheer feeling of wonder when exploring is unparalleled for me that i can think of, or at least for anything recent

It's successfully recaptured the magic of breath of the wild

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is the matchmaking level based? Level and weapon level? It's not soul memory (rune memory) is it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I got the first ash of war but have no idea how to use it. I can apply it to my short sword, and make it either quality or normal, and I guess I have to wield the sword two-handed but have no idea how. Game is trash.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Weird, I preloaded this last night and now it looks like I'm having to download the entire game again anyway. Either that or the day 1 patch is an additional ~50GB but I doubt that. Don't think I've run into this problem before with Steam.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Weird, I preloaded this last night and now it looks like I'm having to download the entire game again anyway. Either that or the day 1 patch is an additional ~50GB but I doubt that. Don't think I've run into this problem before with Steam.

Is it downloading or unpacking? Because it has to do the latter if you preloaded it because the files are encrypted to prevent leaking/cracking

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm gonna get a refund and wait for a patch. My CPU is slightly below minimum spec and everything else is above it and I'm getting major slowdowns/crashes with everything on low, playing offline, etc. Input lag is insane when the FPS drops, like 1-2 full seconds between pressing a button and taking a swing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I got the first ash of war but have no idea how to use it. I can apply it to my short sword, and make it either quality or normal, and I guess I have to wield the sword two-handed but have no idea how. Game is trash.

There's an item you have to find near the start (somewhere near the church region, before the castle ruins) before you can apply them. I haven't found it yet though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I went to an incredibly awesome zone that felt too hard but I persisted and unlocked a boss that felt too hard. Then I went around limgrave owning fools and killed a boss to the south. This is awesome. I need to touch some grass now though I played for like six hours and only had a break for a coffee.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
e: nvm

blue squares posted:

As someone who has never played a Dark Souls game, this is very confusing

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 25, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There’s something extremely disconcerting about how Eldtree Burial Watchdog moves.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress MARGIT

This boss is the single most infurating poo poo I have ever dealt with in Soulsborne, that includes Friede and Isshin. I feel like I need to grind 100 more levels. gently caress this bullshit boss so goddamned much.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Joan posted:

Is it downloading or unpacking? Because it has to do the latter if you preloaded it because the files are encrypted to prevent leaking/cracking

Straight up downloading the whole thing again. Download speed is decent so it should only take an hour or so, maybe something got messed up with the preload and it didn't stick.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got stomped like 15 times by the castle monstrosity, time to take a break.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Bussamove posted:

There’s something extremely disconcerting about how Eldtree Burial Watchdog moves.

Yeah I actually had a weird amount of trouble with that because of how loving weird it moved.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Anno posted:

Yeah I actually had a weird amount of trouble with that because of how loving weird it moved.

Yeah, it feels like it’s dropping frames but no, it just moves real weird.

The first time it turned its head 180 degrees as I was smacking its butt and exploded its tail at me got me good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Horace Kinch posted:

gently caress MARGIT

This boss is the single most infurating poo poo I have ever dealt with in Soulsborne, that includes Friede and Isshin. I feel like I need to grind 100 more levels. gently caress this bullshit boss so goddamned much.

It begins

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"Try fingers but hole" will never not be funny

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Ok I'm gonna give this a go...

GTX 1060 6GB
i5 6500
16GB RAM

will report back soon. I'm not expecting good things.

EDIT: works amazingly well. I have it on high settings except for SSAO, Shader Quality and Grass Quality on medium and it runs great. Only had a couple very minor stutters.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 25, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Where's a good early place to get summoned? Wanna try out the MP.

Also, what's MP like? Is it like DS1/3 where you're locked in until a boss dies, or does it have more of that DS2 drop-in for a short spell, drop-out, collect some nice rewards and have a gay old time?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

look at how much more accessible this version of bloodborne would be instead of the version we actually got

God this is giving me AC pstd. Atleast Horizon fades most of the ui away but sometimes there is still too much stuff. Really like GoT, you didn't need ui for any of the quests and gameplay mechanics.

This is what happens when you have bad quest design and generic map, you need indicators everywhere.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is it true that the anti cheat they use is going to prevent PC modding? That would suck.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
On my ancient computer the game runs mostly ok, but with lag spikes.

I took a break from my wretched game and started an astrologer to try out the magic. It lagged massively.
Get naked if the game runs slow, maybe it helps.

Also, pigs drop golden poo poo. Something something metaphor.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So I had a few stutters at the bottom of the first hill once you’re out in the world proper, but they were infrequent and tbh I could barely notice them. I only played a couple of hours though - has this been getting significantly worse for people as they progress?

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Was playing the game just fine with a PS4 controller connected by wire to my pc. Controller came unplugged, as happens sometimes, ok. Plugged it back in, didn't light up, didn't work. Ok, restart game. Still didn't light up, still didn't work. Restart steam; no light up, not working. Restart computer, same thing. It doesn't light up when I plug it in, isn't recognized by steam, and doesn't work in other games (steam or epic). Tried another fully charged PS4 controller, same thing. Tried all my other USB ports, no change. What gives?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess I should just level up this club and pair of pants, I haven't actually found anything else yet and the boss at the castle is showing me my damage is really not up to snuff lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Horse Platforming. Why'd it have to be Horse Platforming?

blue squares posted:

That's largely the point, embrace it :3: It will only be this mysterious once or twice

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Appoda posted:

Where's a good early place to get summoned? Wanna try out the MP.

Also, what's MP like? Is it like DS1/3 where you're locked in until a boss dies, or does it have more of that DS2 drop-in for a short spell, drop-out, collect some nice rewards and have a gay old time?

I got summoned in the wolf cave with the boss guy that's to the north west of the first little foresty area you encounter.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Was playing the game just fine with a PS4 controller connected by wire to my pc. Controller came unplugged, as happens sometimes, ok. Plugged it back in, didn't light up, didn't work. Ok, restart game. Still didn't light up, still didn't work. Restart steam; no light up, not working. Restart computer, same thing. It doesn't light up when I plug it in, isn't recognized by steam, and doesn't work in other games (steam or epic). Tried another fully charged PS4 controller, same thing. Tried all my other USB ports, no change. What gives?

Also I saw that some people are having issues with v-joy, but I don't have that, I looked. The controllers just aren't recognized by windows all of a sudden

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

deep dish peat moss posted:

Drop down the hole with a ghost sitting next to it in the starting area (before entering the open world)

The boss is tough though heads up

Not sure if you mean this or are being jokey. This is my first souls game, and I two-hit that guy. Jumping slash dazed him, right into one of those critical hit stabs.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm really not trying to point out the obvious here, but as someone who has gone through God knows how many micro USB cables that have particular problems with Kindles and dualshock 4s in particular, the one thing you didn't mention trying was a different cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Getting some noticeable stuttering while fighting in busy areas, but otherwise stable. Looks like I was one of the lucky ones. Only playing at 1080p at high settings though.

Specs are 1070 GTX, 24 Gb RAM, i7-4770K CPU