Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

FOUND THE CAESTUS

sold by the gatekeeper after you open the gate after the first boss

Yesssssss thank you

E: first boss meaning tree sentinel or margit?

tree sentinel is totally gundyr on a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I accidentally clicked past a tutorial that popped up as I was pressing some buttons. I can't for the life of me find where I can re-view them, it mentioned somewhere that I could.

eh you probably don't need to worry about it, just hit things with sword

signed

guy who didn't know I could sprint or jump until Anor Londo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Where are literally any of the weapons? I'm 3 hours in and I haven't found any equipment at all except for armor dropped by dead things!

There's a merchant under a cylindrical ruin on the beach that sells a bow, which has been carrying me pretty well

Look around for the side dungeons. There are often a weapon or two in those.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I accidentally clicked past a tutorial that popped up as I was pressing some buttons. I can't for the life of me find where I can re-view them, it mentioned somewhere that I could.

It's the last tab in your inventory, for some reason.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I haven't been able to stop dying long enough to notice stutters during combat. First souls game here as well, took me an hour to find my PS4 controller but it immediately worked without any issues.

2080 super, 3950x, 32GB RAM @ 3200 MHz.

Why do people like these games again?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Duuhhhh anyone else got unpacking issues? Mines stuck at 47 gigs

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I’ve realized what one of my major problems with this combat is. I press my sticks extremely hard and end up crouching. Spazzing is a curse. I don’t know how I beat sekiro.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

I haven't been able to stop dying long enough to notice stutters during combat. First souls game here as well, took me an hour to find my PS4 controller but it immediately worked without any issues.

2080 super, 3950x, 32GB RAM @ 3200 MHz.

Why do people like these games again?

Because they are very good. Once the FPS garbage is resolved ER will be a GOATY for PC users, and as a Switch main I can assure you that my tolerance for garbage rear end performance in service of excellent gameplay is unlimited

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yesssssss thank you

E: first boss meaning tree sentinel or margit?

tree sentinel is totally gundyr on a horse

margit

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I’ve realized what one of my major problems with this combat is. I press my sticks extremely hard and end up crouching.

Off-topic but I love it when the horn is set to pressing the left stick in racing games for this reason. When it gets really intense and everyone is beeping their way around the track it loving rules.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Do the console versions suffer the same stuttering issue as PC? I may swap over to PS5 rather than wait 6 months for From to half-fix this issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a pause in this game? Xbox if it matters.

Also, for my first souls game, tall order getting used to the triggers as attacks and keep consuming my flask or doing something else dumb instead of stabbing. Is there a trusted awesome alternative control scheme?

Also didn't jump in the hole for the tutorial, how do I sprint?!

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
pretty wild how we were dreaming about playing this game 24 hours ago

but i still have 45 minutes, this sucks

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

KidDynamite posted:

I’ve realized what one of my major problems with this combat is. I press my sticks extremely hard and end up crouching. Spazzing is a curse. I don’t know how I beat sekiro.

Same here, I am very not used to the control layout.

Epic High Five posted:

Because they are very good. Once the FPS garbage is resolved ER will be a GOATY for PC users, and as a Switch main I can assure you that my tolerance for garbage rear end performance in service of excellent gameplay is unlimited

It definitely feels like a AAA game and I'm having fun but gently caress I've slammed my controller into the desk like two dozen times now.

TraderStav posted:

Is there a pause in this game? Xbox if it matters.

Also, for my first souls game, tall order getting used to the triggers as attacks and keep consuming my flask or doing something else dumb instead of stabbing. Is there a trusted awesome alternative control scheme?

Also didn't jump in the hole for the tutorial, how do I sprint?!

Exactly my thoughts, I'd like to attack with one of the main thumb buttons.

Also, you can sprint?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whew lad, okay. finally beat my first baby challenge. the not-boss in front of the maiden lady. lured his rear end outside the gate, learned his pattern and ankled him to death. Feels good man.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Loving it so far but honestly I'm probably going to shelve it until they resolve the FPS poo poo. I was fine with it until just after the gate part which I don't think reveals too much but after that I couldn't do anything where anything else was moving without dropping shitloads of frames over and over, and the further I pushed on past that the worst it got. Extremely unfortunate but it's at least something that can be fixed pretty quickly...probably

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

From PCgamingwiki, a possible fix for stuttering with NVIDIA cards. Anecdotally it seems like I have far fewer sudden frame drops after this. Back to looking for a shirt for this sad wretch.

pcgamingwiki posted:

Fix frame rate drops and stuttering on NVIDIA cards
To fix frame rate drops and stuttering, especially in the open world when exploring or in battle, try the following:

Open NVIDIA Control Panel
Under "Manage 3D Settings" and the "Global Settings" tab, change "Shader Cache Size" to "Unlimited"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fired it up and blew a capacitor on my gpu. :darksouls:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ooohhhhb my god are you loving kidding me with this unpacking poo poo. Stuck at 47 gigs of 49 100%and I uninstall

Now it’s stuck at 2%

:shepicide:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Was very excited to start today, had to update my graphics drivers after I got weird lines across my screen once I got to the open world. I thought Elden Ring killed my video card!

The mounted combat is really good and not as difficult as I expected. You can cast spells while riding and attack down both sides.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Toast King posted:

From PCgamingwiki, a possible fix for stuttering with NVIDIA cards. Anecdotally it seems like I have far fewer sudden frame drops after this. Back to looking for a shirt for this sad wretch.

Applied this just now and will test it out tomorrow, inshallah it is the requisite change

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mounted combat would be considered OP as gently caress if not for block attacks lol

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Toast King posted:

Just tried this and no go, still stutters the same way. RTX 3090 if it matters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

can from please stop making bosses who end their combos by backhopping a football field away 8/10 times after they finish their combos

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Any reason I shouldn't put allll of my points into dex? So far I'm at 20 or 21, and I have no idea what I'm doing in this game except I think I'm lost 'cause all the stuff you people mention isn't what I find (things that need backstabbing and fleeing).

Also do bosses respawn or are those just Real Big Dudes?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
starting with samurai was the right choice as Uchigatana seems just as powerful as it's always been - it still procs bleed and most of the bigger enemies I've seen so far don't have much armor.

for whatever reason it only starts you with a handful of arrows though, and i can't seem to craft those yet

the frame stuttering isn't as bad as I feared it would be, but still kind of annoying. If the game can't keep a stable 60fps, I wish there was an option to lock it to 30. I'd rather have a consistent but lower framerate than a framerate that wildly skips around when something big shows up to attack me.

also I found this guy

Died twice and then managed to kill him on the third attempt without taking damage, lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha got summoned versus same miniboss and the three of us too kthe thing down so hard it has a whole staggered/knocked down animation I didn't see on my own

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vermain posted:

can from please stop making bosses who end their combos by backhopping a football field away 8/10 times after they finish their combos

I wouldn't mind if they leap around like crazy if they weren't also exempt from leaping off of ledges and falling to their death

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

For people who want to PvP as much as possible -

Once you make it to the hub area the invader boss you can fight in the hall drops an item that makes it more likely to be invaded

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

g-c posted:

pretty wild how we were dreaming about playing this game 24 hours ago

but i still have 45 minutes, this sucks

33 minutes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

L + ratio + no souls + touch grace

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What's the extent of the co-op if a friend wants to only play with me?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 25, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tyty 👊

Now to beat margit lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

margit's a pain, that loving knife comes out so fast, but you'll get it!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wasn't sure if I was liking this game or not til i looked up and it was an hour past my bed time and the last hour was spent going "i'll explore this then i'll stop. ok but i'll explore this then i'll stop. okkkkk i'll explore this THEN I'll stop" by the time I stopped i had enough runes to level up 6 times :c00l:

also people in my discords keep saying my hosed up little undead char looks dope so i turned off HDR to take a proper screenshot (timg'd cause huge)

can't wait to play more tomorow!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Help y'all.

I'm kind of dragging in Horizon: Forbidden West. It's...fine, I'm kind of enjoying it, but the first is definitely better. Do I keep at it or just suck it up and play Elden Ring? I really want to play Elden Ring day one.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have found 3 catacombs and have been invaded by two different NPCs. One with dialogue about fingers.

Block attack are incredible, but drat they can be overcome p easily if you’re fighting anyone with any status like bleed.

I’m just kinda wandering around. Found a dragon island somehow??? Does nothing because I’m too poo poo to kill the dragon.

Where do I get magic if I didn’t start with it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha omg these goats that roll into a ball to escape you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's a joke, that boss is a pushover lol

bloodstain? i don't believe it!

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I guess I'll go fight Margit when I'm not level 2, using something that's not the club+0, and also when I have a shirt

I bought the chainmail shirt from the merchant in the church