Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Robobot posted:

Jiu jitsu class, but imagine it as a hairy out of shape man heavily panting meat breath into your face as he sweats through his Affliction shirt with the sleeves cut off to picture the actual experience.

Well that's disappointing, but at least I won't have to cross my legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

HenryEx posted:

It prevents you from getting up when you're supposed to be lying down

Ha I get it now. I thought it was some leverage/wrestling thing at first.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Robobot posted:

Jiu jitsu class, but imagine it as a hairy out of shape man heavily panting meat breath into your face as he sweats through his Affliction shirt with the sleeves cut off to picture the actual experience.

Don't threaten us with a good time

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/iXA2zX5.mp4

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Robobot posted:

or if you're lucky, it's Ed O'Neill of Married with Children and Modern Family fame who is a BJJ master that is venting his nuts at your face.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

It's crazy that this weapon is classified as a tool in most of the U.S. and is therefore not as restricted as normal firearms.

It's one of the most horrible handheld weapons if not the most.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kamrat posted:

It's crazy that this weapon is classified as a tool in most of the U.S. and is therefore not as restricted as normal firearms.

Obligatory clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nknAzQPHE

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kamrat posted:

Yeah but you never had so much fun weeding your yard before I promise you that

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Didn’t a guy in Wisconsin or something get in trouble for clearing their driveway of snow with a flamethrower? Seems like that would be a the best way to deal with it to be honest. Start making some Nod flame tanks and sell them to municipalities! Dump some salt behind them and you’re good to go!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robobot posted:

Didn’t a guy in Wisconsin or something get in trouble for clearing their driveway of snow with a flamethrower? Seems like that would be a the best way to deal with it to be honest. Start making some Nod flame tanks and sell them to municipalities! Dump some salt behind them and you’re good to go!

The city workers used a flamethrower to kill weeds coming up through the cracks in the sidewalk when I lived in NH

Seemed like a great idea. (the flamethrowers did NOT shoot 100' gouts of fire as in that image)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Robobot posted:

I personally use an obelisk of light to clear snow with minimal complaints

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kamrat posted:

It is certainly a very horrible way to kill people but probably not the most effective way to kill lots of people as you only get a very short duration of fire in the backpack, and also you can achieve a similar effect with a petrol bomb. Also it's kind of hard to conceal it, and if you don't give a poo poo about being found out there's lots of ways you could kill someone so they're probably less dangerous to others on the whole in a country with more guns than people. More dangerous to the operator though.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

OwlFancier posted:

It is certainly a very horrible way to kill people but probably not the most effective way to kill lots of people as you only get a very short duration of fire in the backpack, and also you can achieve a similar effect with a petrol bomb. Also it's kind of hard to conceal it, and if you don't give a poo poo about being found out there's lots of ways you could kill someone so they're probably less dangerous to others on the whole in a country with more guns than people. More dangerous to the operator though.

I just don't get why there's so few restrictions, it doesn't matter that there's more effective ways to kill someone, it's still a deadly weapon.

I don't really agree with the gun laws in the U.S. either but at least there's some control over guns, if someone hits you with a flamethrower you're in for a very painful death and it's a weapon only a sociopathic sadist would use.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They’re also not spewing the same kind of sticky ultra flammable stuff that military flame throwers used to use. It’s like a bigger hairspray flamethrower.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Robobot posted:

Wouldn't this just melt the snow which would then refreeze to form a slick and dangerous icy surface? (unless that's what you're going for)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yes it would, you could potentially evaporate that water to avoid that but I wouldn't recommend doing it. You'll be going from ice to steam and just wrecking your concrete

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Unperson_47 posted:

Wouldn't this just melt the snow which would then refreeze to form a slick and dangerous icy surface? (unless that's what you're going for)

As long as the temperature is above 32F (0C) that shouldn't be an issue. Snow can still take a while to melt naturally at those temperatures though.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That’s what the salt trucks behind the flame tanks are for guys. Please reread my original proposal.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I just don't get why there's so few restrictions, it doesn't matter that there's more effective ways to kill someone, it's still a deadly weapon.
They're useful in agriculture and pretty sure there have been zero flamethrower murders in the last few decades, so its not an actual problem that needs fixing

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I mean as a weapon of terror flamethrowers could theoretically be pretty effective, but nobody's really using them because they're dangerous to the user and difficult to use and expensive, it makes way more sense to go down to the gun show in texas or whatever and buy an AR15 or something if you want to do a mass shooting. I can't say I really worry that much about unrestricted flamethrowers.

Mafic Rhyolite has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Feb 24, 2022

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Has any company that sells actual flamethrowers started labelling them "Not-Not-A-Flamethrower" yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/wXpyun0.mp4

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Philip Gibbs, one of five official English reporters embedded with troops during World War I wrote a very cool book called "Now it can be told" about his experiences as one of the earliest war correspondents on the Western front. He talks about his experience in Hooge, an area of the Ypres salient in July 1915. After weeks of constant shelling and mining and undermining, (where the enemies would literally tunnel underneath your trench and blow it up from underneath), there was a quiet morning where the overwhelmed soldiers were trying to catch their breath.

from Now it Can be Told:
--------------------------------------
On the morning of July 30th there was a strange lull of silence after a heavy bout of shells and mortars. Men of the K.R.R. raised their heads above broken parapets and crawled out of shell-holes and looked about. There were many dead bodies lying around, and wounded men were wailing. The unwounded, startled by the silence, became aware of some moisture falling on them; thick, oily drops of liquid.

"What in hell's name--?" said a subaltern.

One man smelled his clothes, which reeked of something like paraffin.

Coming across from the German trenches were men hunched up under some heavy weights. They were carrying cylinders with nozzles like hose-pipes. Suddenly there was a rushing noise like an escape of air from some blast-furnace. Long tongues of flame licked across to the broken ground where the King's Royal Rifles lay.

Some of them were set on fire, their clothes burning on them, making them living torches, and in a second or two cinders.

It was a new horor of war--the Flammenwerfer.

Some of the men leaped to their feet, cursing, and fired repeatedly at the Germans carrying the flaming jets. Here and there the shots were true. A man hunched under a cylinder exploded like a fat moth caught in a candle-flame. But that advancing line of fire after the long bombardment was too much for the rank and file, whose clothes were smoking and whose bodies were scorched. In something like a panic they fell back, abandoning the cratered ground in which their dead lay.
---------------------------------------
in other words, flamethrowers are totally hosed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Bloop posted:

The city workers used a flamethrower to kill weeds coming up through the cracks in the sidewalk when I lived in NH

Seemed like a great idea. (the flamethrowers did NOT shoot 100' gouts of fire as in that image)

Works well if you live somewhere damp enough that you're not risking a bushfire every time you do it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Works well if you live somewhere damp enough that you're not risking a bushfire every time you do it.

Also good for getting exercise out in the yard to help keep the diabetus under control.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This seems like a very American thing, I've never heard about or seen flamethrowers being used like this over here in Sweden.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kamrat posted:

This seems like a very American thing, I've never heard about or seen flamethrowers being used like this over here in Sweden.

Well no, not in SWEDEN, no. It's an Albany thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/181gXpS.mp4
Sound

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/cvpsZln.mp4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaboon_viper
Yeah, it’s highly venomous.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gaahh I backed so far away from my computer I can't turn it off

I even like snakes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/kpcR7Zz.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Impressive, but I feel there is an easier way of doing that. Like a broom and ladder or perhaps just getting another ball.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I dunno he got that done faster than it would have taken someone to go get a broom and a ladder and it was way cooler.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

NoHo Hank is such a good guy!

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

drat, Bobby Hill lookin' good

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

manderson posted:

drat, Bobby Hill lookin' good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Fepy1dL.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reuleaux triangle bicycles break my brain

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I forgot this was the gif thread, not the schadenfreude thread, and was wincing for something terrible that never ended up happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Tree Bucket posted:

I forgot this was the gif thread, not the schadenfreude thread, and was wincing for something terrible that never ended up happening

______/