Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

gee whiz i wonder if you are leaving something important out of this picture

yeah i did forget to mention the nazi sympathizers that ran amuck amongst the finnish military leadership at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Russia’s not going to have any trouble taking Kiev, doesn’t really matter at what rate randos on twitter report it. This phase of the war is Tyson fighting an infant.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Goast posted:

yeah i did forget to mention the nazi sympathizers that ran amuck amongst the finnish military leadership at the time

by symphatizing do you mean doing things like signing non-agression pacts with the actual nazis?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

by symphatizing do you mean doing things like signing non-agression pacts with the actual nazis?

i mean fighting a war against the nazis primary enemy with the material support of the nazis

while every other "democratic" nation, despite their faults, supplied the soviets despite their past interests

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Goast posted:

i mean fighting a war against the nazis primary enemy with the material support of the nazis

again, wonder how that happened

quote:

while every other "democratic" nation, despite their faults, supplied the soviets despite their past interests
how many of these democratic nations got invaded by the soviets because they did a literal deal with the nazis

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

people posting about the casualness of it all:

moreover there have been studies done on how slavs respond to high danger situations with indifference

hmm, yes, studies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KSergatskova/status/1497108389213749266?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

again, wonder how that happened

if you find yourself allied with the nazis, imperial japan, and facist italy, you may be on the wrong side of the conflict

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

The entire reason the US spends so much on defense is because of the obscene distances that they actually want to be able to project force.

Russia, China, and other actors don't care so much about military matters on a global scale so they can focus on a much leaner military built for local and regional engagements where they can take terrain and set up forward bases to reconsolidate and then move towards their next objectives.

That's what I'm saying you can't compare dollar to dollar or capability to capability. The US needs a poo poo ton of expensive carriers because it wants to fight China. China just needs to blow up the carriers which it can do with a myriad of cheaper options. They can spend 1/10 what we do and still potentially have a stronger local military where it matters to them. The same even goes for Iran or NK.

Considering how many mishaps the US military has in peace time anymore I'm not sure we could actually take any of our geopolitical rivals on their terms.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BULBASAUR posted:

people posting about the casualness of it all:

its been a bit over 24hrs, most people don't understand that they now live in a warzone. it is a surreal experience. moreover there have been studies done on how slavs respond to high danger situations with indifference, so its a combination of all these things

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
especially when being on that side on the conflict results in you defending the use of the swastika as a symbol to represent your airforce cadets

in the 21st century

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

they were so nazi that they had the swastika even before the nsdap existed!

If i wore a purple shirt and then a bunch of people showed up also wearing purple shirts and started talking about murdering millions of people and then did that, I would take of my purple shirt so as to not accidentally be associated with those people, no matter how much I loved the feel of that shirt.

I'm no nazi though so the finnish air force academy probably thinks different

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/QaharBalkhi/status/1497104807932272647

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Goast posted:

especially when being on that side on the conflict results in you defending the use of the swastika as a symbol to represent your airforce cadets

in the 21st century

again, I really really really dont care about the insignia or the FAF being retarded about using it

i do care that a nearby country is getting leveled by russia right now and they are using this kind of hysteria about nazis as an excuse to do it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1497105764422500354?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497108137727250435?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

how do they know it's the russians changing clothes and not defectors. there were the oligarchs calling for a negotiation a couple of hours ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at caping for the Continuation War

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Goast posted:

if you find yourself allied with the nazis, imperial japan, and facist italy, you may be on the wrong side of the conflict

plz no, you might summon he who should not post

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lmao at the weirdos who always come rushing in to defend finnish swastikas.

BUT MY FINNISH DEFENSE HERITAGE, you want to ban hindus as well huhhh???

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Methanar posted:

Do you feel this way about Hindus too?

they arent european and the nazis didnt mean much to them. the finns though were nazis and should purge themselves of the symbols that associates to it.

8 year old me understood the difference between a white person drawing a swastika and a hindu doing it, why cant you?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1497105764422500354?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497108137727250435?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

how do they know it's the russians changing clothes and not defectors. there were the oligarchs calling for a negotiation a couple of hours ago.

that seems like an excellent rumor for russia to start spreading lol

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

again, I really really really dont care about the insignia or the FAF being retarded about using it

then why did you mention it, dipshit

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at caping for the Continuation War

it's loving outstanding

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

that seems like an excellent rumor for russia to start spreading lol

https://twitter.com/Beaking_News/status/1497108424789659650?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

2 vehicles hardly matter too. weird poo poo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What's the point of the disguise if there's an entire russian column behind them

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is it, this is the moment that we sort out the interwar period once and for all

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

no military would openly admit to wearing the uniform of their opponent

that is a literal warcrime punishable by death

lmao

believe it when i see it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Seems like a good way to encourage your troops to get jumpy and start shooting at each other.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Goast posted:

then why did you mention it, dipshit

i do care about accusations of nazism when putin is talking about "denazification" in order to justify wars of imperial conquest

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

okay i guess the vdv either have a ton of clerics who can cast raise dead or ukraine just failed at throwing out a bunch of paratroopers on their doorsteps

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497110084933107731

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

That's what I'm saying you can't compare dollar to dollar or capability to capability. The US needs a poo poo ton of expensive carriers because it wants to fight China. China just needs to blow up the carriers which it can do with a myriad of cheaper options. They can spend 1/10 what we do and still potentially have a stronger local military where it matters to them. The same even goes for Iran or NK.

Considering how many mishaps the US military has in peace time anymore I'm not sure we could actually take any of our geopolitical rivals on their terms.

One on one, right now, I think direct confrontation between the US and China or Russia in their regions would be a toss-up.

In 10 years I don't think the US will be able to compete with China in the far pacific.

In 20 years China will be the new hegemon. The US will still be the most well-protected and uninvadable nation in the world, but our sphere of influence will be nil. The world will be better off for it, and I think the world and the US would be better off for it if the US stopped loving around in everyone else's business.

US military development is hindered by too much of the same wasteful profit-hunting bullshit that has broken most of the rest of our industries. US foreign policy and diplomacy is hindered by the fact that only idiots and failsons work for the government or go into politics.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Danann posted:

okay i guess the vdv either have a ton of clerics who can cast raise dead or ukraine just failed at throwing out a bunch of paratroopers on their doorsteps

From the comments:

quote:

The guy driving the car is confusing. He's saying he's a pilot from Antonov but calling them our boys. What is going on?

quote:

At the end he said that he thought these are Ukrainians.

The VDV holding out would explain why there are no videos and pictures of VDV being paraded around on the internet.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Seems like a good way to encourage your troops to get jumpy and start shooting at each other.

don't forget about the 20k civilians that just got a rifle

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

i do care about accusations of nazism when putin is talking about "denazification" in order to justify wars of imperial conquest

If you want to convince people that putin talking about denazification is a spurious fig leaf for invasion, you should probably stop comparing it to accurate accusations of nazism.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

i do care that a nearby country is getting leveled by russia right now and they are using this kind of hysteria about nazis as an excuse to do it

im betting you don't and consider the continuation war as a just cause fought by the brave finnish resistance against the soviet hordes

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i take back what i said Russia would win

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Danann posted:

Brown Moses knew
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1496984468141522945?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

don't forget about the 20k civilians that just got a rifle

You'd think there would be more video evidence of this

Maybe it was just an extremely irresponsible bluff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

typing "ukrainian" into the xvideos search bar out of solidarity

I follow a stripper in kiev on twitch and hope she's ok

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Atrocious Joe posted:

i was not expecting them to reach Kyiv this quick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Danann posted:

oh so the 800+ dead russian body count is most likely bullshit too

propaganda helluva drug