Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Trollologist posted:

Work your legs with long 2 mile hikes every morning, then 8 hours of swinging a pick axe! By employing a "hot yoga" effect of working in high temperature, we'll be swinging inside a earth cave, and there will be no air conditioning.

Wasn't this already an episode of... Futurama? I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere.

Edit: How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back, in which "Spa 5 Fitness Camp" is actually a forced labor planet.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Done with Disney's HAWKEYE tv series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgp1OEVDxDM

Apologies to my favorite Avenger, Clint Francis Barton, but I didn't like it

None of the episodes left me wanting more, they're either too long or badly paced... Maybe I'm in a bad mood because there's a loving WAR starting, but this was a disappointment. There's flashes of brilliance in some episodes, but they could've easily cut this into a TV movie. I kept watching because Hawkeye, the character, owns a lot, but the series mostly misses what makes him great.

Actors are fine, I like Renner and the new lady, but this is on par with most CW or Marvel superhero tv shows, which I generally don't bother watching, because they're basically soap operas. I don't know where I got the impression Disney was trying for something closer to HBO-like prestige TV. This is not Watchmen

I award this a sad 2 Comfys out of 5, and an arrow containing a copy of the book "The TV Showrunner's Roadmap: 21 Navigational Tips for Screenwriters to Create and Sustain a Hit TV Series"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Done with Disney's HAWKEYE tv series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgp1OEVDxDM

Apologies to my favorite Avenger, Clint Francis Barton, but I didn't like it

None of the episodes left me wanting more, they're either too long or badly paced... Maybe I'm in a bad mood because there's a loving WAR starting, but this was a disappointment. There's flashes of brilliance in some episodes, but they could've easily cut this into a TV movie. I kept watching because Hawkeye, the character, owns a lot, but the series mostly misses what makes him great.

I liked it, but didn't get what I wanted out of it.

It took me far to many episodes to realize that this show isn't about Clint "Hawkeye" Barton. It's about Clint "Hawkeye" Barton retiring the mantle to New "Hawkeye" Lady. If you watch it through that lens (Of new lady becoming new Hawkeye) it's a bit more tolerable because instead of asking "when does Hawkeye do Hawkeye things?" You're more like "is this the episode where New Lady gets it together to be the next Hawkeye?"

It still doesn't need to be 8 episodes. But that's true about every Marvel series. They all should have been 1-3 hours or so and probably would have been better paced as a movie.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 25, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah I wouldn’t mind them doing some of these Marvel things as direct-to-Disney+ movies rather than 6 hour miniseries. I guess if they did that they wouldn’t have enough runtime to set up two future properties in each, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think they're afraid of another Black Widow fight again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/ThatRetro/status/1496669504318939136?s=20&t=rDx8FLwFnufyJ5EwkndMsg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Moleman was always my favourite. “Oh no, I just made my last payment”

“Give me the biggest seed bell you’ve got… No, that’s too big”

Etc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Funny but moleman can never win :cmon:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Moleman can win but he has to lose later

Gil can absolutely not win

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Remember what happens to that dam immediately after that scene?

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
Anybody else seen the 2018 film Possum? I just watched it tonight and thought it was good.

It's a horror movie written and directed by Matthew Holness, the guy behind Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, there's not a trace of comedy to this, though. I was really impressed by the atmosphere. It was relentlessly bleak and grimy. Very little dialogue, apart from a rhyme the man character repeats to himself a few short, unpleasant conversations with his uncle, who is less a person than a dirty-ashtray that has somehow obtained the ability to speak. There are long stretches of the main character going about his business in silence, lingering in the dilapidated home, walls rotten with mold and tiles and appliances stained by nicotine, and tattered mildewy furniture. There's also the over-grown garbage-strewn backyard. The whole town is depressing. The school is just a big concrete block, there's an old barracks that's been left to squatters and vandals. Even the scenes in nature are grim. Sky perpetually overcast, a forest with dark, sickly looking trees, a field that's clearly nothing but muck and weeds with a ramshackle wooden bridge over sad, filthy little creek that flows into an ugly brown river. Maybe that's just how Norfolk actually is, but if that's the case it was the perfect choice of setting for this miserable little story.

The plot is pretty sparse. A puppeteer has disgraced himself and is returning to his childhood home to pick up the pieces of his life while attempting to discard or destroy a particularly grotesque puppet that he created. What he's done to disgrace himself is never discussed directly, but the characters behaviour is off-putting, particularly when near areas associated with youth, which combined with the nature of his career, is fairly suggestive. However, with nothing made explicit, as the movie proceeds you're left to wondering what it is he's done that casting such a shadow over him as. He attempts to dispose of the puppet, but inevitably fails and finds it inexplicably returned. While his behaviour is still stange and off putting, he's also clearly unwell and he becomes a more pathetic, even pitiable figure, than threatening one. The climax is short, revelatory and violent. I wouldn't call it uplifting by any means, but it is at least a bit cathartic.

Also, getting caught up with Mike and Jay talking about Red Rocket. Jay mentioned the movie Wild Beasts, which I discovered Monday night and thought might be good for an upcoming Friday. Weird coincidence.

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 25, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I watched possum a few months back and thought it was terrible tbh. It had about ten minutes of story.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I watched possum a few months back and thought it was terrible tbh. It had about ten minutes of story.

Even though I enjoyed it, I think 10 minutes is probably a generous estimate.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still thinking about Titane

Cannes is loving cool. Oscars are bullshit for losers.

Like if something won the Oscar best picture that either means someone was owed a favor or whitey had to apologize for something.

But if something wins the Palme d'Or that means it either whips rear end or it's something you'll still remember years from now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was mega disappointed because I love Holness and Sean Harris. Just felt so aimless and padded. Holness admitted that it was based on an incredibly short bit of writing so I’m not surprised.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

if something wins the Palme d'Or that means it either whips rear end or it's something you'll still remember years from now.

then again, fahrenheit 9/11

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cannes is lame in it's own way. Mostly because they love and praise anything that isn't complete garbage, and they like to give 10 minute standing ovations to just about any film.

"Hmmm, this film didn't fully put me to sleep. Everyone performatively clap at each other for 15 minutes so we all know how much we love sucking each other off. Also free Roman Polanski."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Origami Dali posted:

then again, fahrenheit 9/11

Doesn't break my rule.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also free Roman Polanski."

I have bad news about pretty much every director you like

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Doesn't break my rule.

I have bad news about pretty much every director you like

Jokes on you, I don't like any directors. And as time goes on, fewer and fewer movies.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Jokes on you, I don't like any directors. And as time goes on, fewer and fewer movies.

*angry sputtering

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cannes is lame in it's own way. Mostly because they love and praise anything that isn't complete garbage, and they like to give 10 minute standing ovations to just about any film.

"Hmmm, this film didn't fully put me to sleep. Everyone performatively clap at each other for 15 minutes so we all know how much we love sucking each other off. Also free Roman Polanski."

I believe it was Mark Kermode who explained the whole “10 minute standing ovation” thing at Cannes. There are often Q&As with the director and cast after the film. So if there’s a standing ovation it will generally last from the end of the movie until the Q&A starts. And some studios realized that they could stretch that time to then be able to grab headlines about this insanely-long standing ovation that happened.

Also, the phenomenon of people storming out/loudly booing movies/other bad behavior is mostly because apparently Cannes is an absolute meat-grinder for critics due to the insane number of screenings (and all the drinking and such), so everyone is constantly exhausted and on-edge pretty much halfway through day 1.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:eyepop:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't even know what this means.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

it's a 85 min film that has enough story for a 10 min short

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Checks out.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

The plot is basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl_4IsQJ2g

Except instead of a cat, it's an weird inanimate monster puppet.

Then two people fight for a minute and one of them dies and then the movie is over.

Basically nothing happens and the actual narrative could easily be condensed into a segment in an anthology movie.

For me, it succeeded as a "vibe" movie. The absolutely sluggish pacing was sustainable for me because it served to reinforce the absolutely dismal atmosphere, and that was what had grabbed me. Guy with a rotten, collapsing life returns to a rotten, collapsing childhood home in a rotten, collapsing village. I'm a big fan of Thomas Ligotti, and apart from the minor up-note at the end of the film, it conveyed that same sort of atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBca33v8oGM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
he meants its 75 minutes too long

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Oh no sorry I should clarify, I get it, I just think a it's dumb and ultimately meaningless criticism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mlyp

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Makes sense

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nearly every single review I’ve read of possum brings up the fact that it’s based on a short and that it isn’t enough to sustain a feature length film. you dumb f*uck!!!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Apropos of nothing, but I looked up Texas City on Google maps and I'm still incredulous that it exists as a place where people live.

It just shouldn't exist.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 25, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

After I watched Dead Presidents I went back and watched The Hughes Brothers’ other two films that I hadn’t seen in ages, Menace II Society and From Hell. Menace is really impressive considering it was made when they were only 20 and has some really good performances. From Hell was even more boring than I remembered. What a piece of crap!!! The comic was great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Space Kablooey posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I looked up Texas City on Google maps and I'm still incredulous that it exists as a place where people live.

It just shouldn't exist.

No, no. It's cool and good to have an oil refinery that's as big as an entire city itself. You can live at the corner of Carcinogen Ave and Hydrocarbon Way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hear the fish caught at overflow bay have a distinct taste

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Space Kablooey posted:

I hear the fish caught at overflow bay have a distinct taste

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Doesn't this just say that people who post on r/redlettermedia are about as likely to post on r/antisex as the average reddit user?

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Oh, wait, I read that wrong. For some reason I read that as 8.67% more likely, but that's saying 108 times as likely, isn't it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i dunno, i cna't read good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Offler posted:

Oh, wait, I read that wrong. For some reason I read that as 8.67% more likely, but that's saying 108 times as likely, isn't it?

yeah, i think so

I don't statistics good so wouldn't that mean that the users in the redlettermedia sub are basically the exact same users as antisex? or is it the other way around?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 25, 2022