Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheHan posted:

Monoma's quirk is super cool and I don't buy for a second someone told him it's the quirk of a side character

This is Hori's way of subtly complaining about the X-Men movies for making Rogue increasingly less important. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So what's up with Shigaraki? He's about to use decay but can't for some reason? Did Star and Stripe end up destroying that quirk or is something else preventing him from using it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

So what's up with Shigaraki? He's about to use decay but can't for some reason? Did Star and Stripe end up destroying that quirk or is something else preventing him from using it?

Maybe Monoma is using both Kurogiri's quirk and Erasure

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

RatHat posted:

I completely forgot Monoma could hold on to more than one quirk, and it makes perfect sense that he'd pick up Erasure since Aizawa straight up says he's struggling with it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

But Monoma can only use one quirk at a time. Plus, no one else's quirks are bring erased(Dabi is using his flames just fine).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What 3 other quirks should Monoma have brought? Erasers and Shinso's seem like a given.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
shinso’s quirk is most likely, but i also don’t want to see shiggy nosell it in a stupid way

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I thought when he touched the ground, it looked wet, like his fingers were just going into the ground instead of resting on top. I assumed it was Honenuki's quirk.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean I'm assuming this is a big set up so heroes can get some private time with their significant villains and all but wouldn't a big concrete cage hold Dabi or Toga just fine?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CuwiKhons posted:

I thought when he touched the ground, it looked wet, like his fingers were just going into the ground instead of resting on top. I assumed it was Honenuki's quirk.

It looks to me like he's stuck in whatever goop gets made with that transportation quirk. It's hard to tell with the action lines, but it sort of looks like he's struggling to pull his hand out.

e:okay no, where he is last chapter makes this make no sense. I have no idea.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 19, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
MHA I'm laughing my rear end off at the manga handwaving away Shinso's quirk limitations completely to make this work.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kanos posted:

MHA I'm laughing my rear end off at the manga handwaving away Shinso's quirk limitations completely to make this work.

Eh. The fact that it occurred off camera isn't ideal, but being able to expand past the initial limitations of your Quirk with training is something that's occurred a whole bunch of times in the manga. E.g. Toga being able to use other people's quirks. It's hardly a copout that was invented just now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, this is fine and make perfect sense in the context of everything that's come before. There's potentially some bullshit to come with Shiggy's and Deku's powers, but these are all established characters so I'm excited to see how they close it all out.

Still no sign of the quirk singularity being dealt with though, like even if they take down Shiggy there's still no sign that society isn't going to ultimately get overrun by insanely powerful quirks becoming more and more common. They keep dancing around the subject, but haven't really addressed that quirks as a whole are completely unsustainable in the long run, even if it'll take a while to get there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Eh. The fact that it occurred off camera isn't ideal, but being able to expand past the initial limitations of your Quirk with training is something that's occurred a whole bunch of times in the manga. E.g. Toga being able to use other people's quirks. It's hardly a copout that was invented just now.

The off-camera way it happened is why it's completely lame as hell. Toga, Shigaraki, Twice, and even Koichi from Vigilantes expanding their powers is fine because they did it on panel in character moments that made it earned for them to transcend their limitations in various ways. Shinso here is just kinda popping up out of nowhere after barely being a character and his offscreen training happened to provide them with a perfect device to get exactly what they want at this given moment.

This whole plan is dumb because it's not being written with the heroes having to make use of the tools they've got, it's being written with an endpoint in mind and the tools to make it work are manifesting out of thin air. It's also why Deku pulling quirks out of his rear end sucks too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
a while shinso training arc would seem kind of lame at this point in the story though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

To be honest it doesn't bother me because a trick to bypass AFO's lie detector didn't really need conjured up, because AFO didn't really need a lie detector. That's more of an 'out of nowhere' thing than Shinsou upgrading his quirk. AFO is cautious but also pretty arrogant- him not having a lie detector could've easily been handled by him just using search before popping in and thinking "Yeah the heroes are all too far away to able to spring a trap, so this is legit". It'd be extremely in character for him to be a bit paranoid but instantly feel assuaged by using any of the quirks he has stolen to cover his rear end.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

To be honest it doesn't bother me because a trick to bypass AFO's lie detector didn't really need conjured up, because AFO didn't really need a lie detector. That's more of an 'out of nowhere' thing than Shinsou upgrading his quirk. AFO is cautious but also pretty arrogant- him not having a lie detector could've easily been handled by him just using search before popping in and thinking "Yeah the heroes are all too far away to able to spring a trap, so this is legit". It'd be extremely in character for him to be a bit paranoid but instantly feel assuaged by using any of the quirks he has stolen to cover his rear end.

I know it's come up (kind of) in vigilantes, but has Tsukauchi having a lie detector quirk ever even been brought up in the actual manga before All for One mentioned that his ancestor had one? Or is it just supplementary sources?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

So this is speculation based on the issue having been released today. Keep thinking on what they're going to do to keep 'Eraserhead' around, and I think with him out of quirk commission, we might see someone else take on the mantle. His protoge has a quirk (and lbr, hair) that lends itself to that name, now can use his famous capture weapon, and was trained personally by him. What would speak to Aizawa's confidence in Shinsou more than giving the name over?

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 20, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

The off-camera way it happened is why it's completely lame as hell. Toga, Shigaraki, Twice, and even Koichi from Vigilantes expanding their powers is fine because they did it on panel in character moments that made it earned for them to transcend their limitations in various ways. Shinso here is just kinda popping up out of nowhere after barely being a character and his offscreen training happened to provide them with a perfect device to get exactly what they want at this given moment.

Eh, I think it's OK, specifically because it's Shinso. His deal for basically the entire manga was "train real hard in the background so that he will bring his abilities on the level of Hero course students and be able to join them one day". So him overcoming one of the limitations his quirk due to that training kinda works, just like him getting swole and half-way decent melee combatant during the "Class A vs Class B" arc worked.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Re-reading the chapter again and :lol: that Hawks's handler, Mera, has become the acting president of the HPSC. If Horikoshi wanted us to think that this won't end with a return to the status quo then maybe don't put the people who made Hawks and Nagant back into a position of power.

And while I get that the theme of the chapter is letting extras like Shinso or Monoma have their time to shine, Monoma being the one to use the teleport Quirk makes the whole subplot with Aizara and Shirakumo end in an unsatisfying way. For all the build-up about it in Vigilantes and in the main series, you'd think Aizawa and Present Mic would be able to get to him. But with how long this final battle's gonna be, maybe I'm wrong and Shirakumo's personality would resurface offscreen like everything else lmao.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

Re-reading the chapter again and :lol: that Hawks's handler, Mera, has become the acting president of the HPSC. If Horikoshi wanted us to think that this won't end with a return to the status quo then maybe don't put the people who made Hawks and Nagant back into a position of power.

Mera was not the one who made them. He's the tired guy who ran the Hero license test.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/427/my-hero-academia-chapter-345

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mera was not the one who made them. He's the tired guy who ran the Hero license test.

My bad, guess I must've mixed their names up in my head. Now I feel sorry for Mera, that guy looked like he needed a ton of sleep just from running the provisional exam

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Good chapter. Even if we've had to rush to get here, the final battle should be a lot of fun.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So did they evacuate the civilians somewhere else before transporting Shigaraki to UA? I guess they did mention being connected to Shiketsu, so maybe they're all there.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Deku getting yoinked into the wrong warp gate is a good way to start the final battle without just immediately going all in on Shigaraki vs Deku. Deku has to deal with the Nomu where he is (and figure out whatever the gently caress is going on with Toga) and everyone with Shigaraki has to hold him off until Deku can swoop in and save them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That corn ain't gonna shuck itself

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I finally got a chance to watch the third movie on account of someone fansubbing the recent Japanese BD release. It was fine for the most part but I’m not sure why Bakugo and Todoroki were so prominent in the advertising when the real stars of the film are Deku and the movie exclusive character Rody (the former two do get their time in the spotlight to be fair though).

Also it irks me that both Mina and for some reason even Iida got benched for this one

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

hiddenriverninja posted:

That corn ain't gonna shuck itself

:shlick: Country girls make do

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

It was fine for the most part but I’m not sure why Bakugo and Todoroki were so prominent in the advertising

money

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If nothing else Bakugo and Todoroki were the only other cast members to even get their own one on one fights so that's something.

I quite liked it when I caught it on the big screen last year, Rody felt like an actual character instead of feeling like a disposable plot device as so many characters of his type tend to be in shonen jump movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

If nothing else Bakugo and Todoroki were the only other cast members to even get their own one on one fights so that's something.

I quite liked it when I caught it on the big screen last year, Rody felt like an actual character instead of feeling like a disposable plot device as so many characters of his type tend to be in shonen jump movies.

Fair point and yeah, to be honest I kind of liked Rody and wouldn’t mind if they made him canon (he’s also the second character with a quirk that manifests as a separate entity after Tokoyami). Probably too late now though

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked the third movie, Rody is a really fun character and I liked his dynamic with Deku. I can totally see why he ended up so high on the last character poll. Putting characters like Mina and Iida on the bench was a bummer though. I don't even know why some had to sit out the action when it wasn't like the other students got a lot of screentime anyways.

I was super annoyed that those cool stealth suits you saw in all the ads were only used in the first 5 minutes of the movie and never again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I really liked the third movie, Rody is a really fun character and I liked his dynamic with Deku. I can totally see why he ended up so high on the last character poll. Putting characters like Mina and Iida on the bench was a bummer though. I don't even know why some had to sit out the action when it wasn't like the other students got a lot of screentime anyways.

I was super annoyed that those cool stealth suits you saw in all the ads were only used in the first 5 minutes of the movie and never again.

Especially Iida considering this seemed like a situation where speed would have been important (also Mina is awesome and deserves more screen time)

But otherwise this was probably the best thing to come out of the fifth season in my opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 25, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vigilantes:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-120/chapter/24037?action=read

Let's go Hoppers' Cafe!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vigilantes: :lol: did Ghost Knuckleduster just take out Ghost All For One? I'm not sure how that's possible, but that rules.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I finally got a chance to watch the third movie on account of someone fansubbing the recent Japanese BD release. It was fine for the most part but I’m not sure why Bakugo and Todoroki were so prominent in the advertising when the real stars of the film are Deku and the movie exclusive character Rody (the former two do get their time in the spotlight to be fair though).

Also it irks me that both Mina and for some reason even Iida got benched for this one

:psyduck:

I completely forgot there was a third movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

:psyduck:

I completely forgot there was a third movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_Academia:_World_Heroes%27_Mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rhonne posted:

Vigilantes: :lol: did Ghost Knuckleduster just take out Ghost All For One? I'm not sure how that's possible, but that rules.

loving owned lol I love this goddamn manga