Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: I think "The Chest" is gonna be a meme soon.

I loving LOVE reading peoples reactions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t0y1rv/i_opened_the_chest_i_want_to_go_home/

"I opened the chest - I want to go home"

Fun fact, if you like me have been playing co-op: you literally can not open that chest and it just becomes an infuriating thing I thought was bugged.

Oneiros posted:

r2's and jumping attacks are important :ssh:

Very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Nuebot posted:

So this is probably a really dumb question but how do you open the evergaols I've been playing co-op with a friend and for the life of us this has us stumped. There's clearly something there, but nothing hints at what to do as far as we've noticed and it's driving us insane.

It's a little weird but at least one of them requires those sword keys things (look for imp statues), and if they're glowing you can just stand on them and go in. If they're not letting you do that when summoned you might need to try summoning after you get in. The gaols have a weird overlaying with the game world so it might even be possible for your friend or you to lay the summon sign outside and have it visible in the goal? Might want to try that. All I know is, is there's a gaol where you can summon an npc for it when you get into it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nuebot posted:

So this is probably a really dumb question but how do you open the evergaols

Activate the glowing center. No idea if it's not doable in co-op, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Vermain posted:

He is significantly harder than any first boss in any From game up to this point, including Gascoigne, and has several reflex checks in the second phase that are batting under the average human reaction time. It's not impossible to do low level with unupgraded weapons, but it is also painstakingly clear that his design is meant to encourage you to go do open world stuff in order to gain higher resistances and more health to be able to tank more hits before you can beat him (or discover the secret item to trivialize his first phase).

i haven't gotten a chance to fire up Elden Ring yet, but man, if this dude is actually a harder first boss than Gascoigne....

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm not sure what it's like on other weapons, but the jump attack on the Claw doesn't seem that good.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PC Elden Ring chat. I see it has mixed reviews on steam, lots of complaints about performance issues. I'm fortunate not to be experiencing any problems. newer build: i7-12700K, 2TB WD SN850, ASUS TUF RTX 3060 (carryover), 32GB CL16 DDR4-3600 running at XMP timings. Windows 11, minimal software installs (e.g. no tweak/OC software, no unnecessary drivers). I'm playing with KB+M and doing well. Biggest annoyance is figuring out what menu / action controller icons map to what keys, as it changes based on context. Here's what I wrote down so far:

yellow-Y == F (menu), E (in-world)
green-A == E
red-B == Q
blue-X == R
double-square == G
triple-lines == ESC
LB/RB ... unsure? I can't figure out the keys for those in menus. I just use mouse.
down-arrow anvil thing == X
to 2-hand a weapon, E + lefl-click (not obvious from tutorial!)

This game is AMAZING so far, great variety of fights, feels like a living world, wonderful graphics for a fromsoft/last-gen game, nicely redone multiplayer coop mechanics, and exploration is totally rewarded. A++ I'm in love.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i accidentally two-handed my shield in the starting area and noticed it was poise-breaking (terminology?) the enemies like crazy

it's a pretty big mechanic and if you're just smashing r1 you're likely missing out

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now i need to figure out this guard-counter or whatever it's called thing. not sure why you'd use it over parries, guess it works on things you can't parry?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best class to play if you are a bad gamer with slow reflexes who hates Souls boss fights.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oneiros posted:

now i need to figure out this guard-counter or whatever it's called thing. not sure why you'd use it over parries, guess it works on things you can't parry?

significantly less risk since you're not having to get the parry timing is a big one

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's a little weird but at least one of them requires those sword keys things (look for imp statues), and if they're glowing you can just stand on them and go in. If they're not letting you do that when summoned you might need to try summoning after you get in. The gaols have a weird overlaying with the game world so it might even be possible for your friend or you to lay the summon sign outside and have it visible in the goal? Might want to try that. All I know is, is there's a gaol where you can summon an npc for it when you get into it.

Probably not doable in co-op. A lot of things, area transitions in particular, aren't doable in co-op. It makes sense; but since there were a lot of bloodstains around them I'd assumed activating the thing summoned the boss to you, rather than taking you to the boss. Thanks for the answer!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i haven't gotten a chance to fire up Elden Ring yet, but man, if this dude is actually a harder first boss than Gascoigne....

I was doing it co-op and it took us a very long time to down him, the boss is no slouch but it didn't feel, to me at least, especially trashy or bad. The patterns were pretty simple and were mostly variations on the same handful of attacks that made it really easy to slip up even if you had support. It has me excited to see what else the game throws our way.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I want to play but I can't decide on a starting class and/or build. Ugh.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh thank the loving gods finally

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Aside from the translation errors, some mild stuttering, the worst screen tearing I've ever seen in my life, and my friend with his third world internet disconnecting every 15 minutes from our session, this game has been a masterpiece to play. Hope all that is fixed in the coming months. I'll be playing this game for years.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

If you go directly to the hardest early game boss after just starting the game he's going to be hard, yes.

I'm doing what the game tells me to do and following the path on the map. I didn't know he was considered the hardest early game boss because I haven't been reading anything about the game while playing it (or before)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah there was a video I watched before release that went over how combat is different and that people were likely having issues because they were R1ing all the time like you would in a Souls game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsFQDnqxBs

yo, this was a cool video and I'm glad to see R2 is no longer useless

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

What's the best class to play if you are a bad gamer with slow reflexes who hates Souls boss fights.

I would like to know this too. I picked Vagabond because he had a shield and the most armor so it felt the safest. Fighting regular enemies is really fun so far but I too have bad reflexes and suck

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah there was a video I watched before release that went over how combat is different and that people were likely having issues because they were R1ing all the time like you would in a Souls game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsFQDnqxBs

Once I exited the cavern this too was my reaction.

Good video.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Even knowing all this it's been hard getting out of the habit of rolling R1ing lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bad reflexes will hold you back no matter what class you play.

Just keep at it. Go slow, don't rush in, WATCH what enemies do before you do anything. Roll away. Take advantage of them AFTER they attack.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Started as a Prophet or whatever and it turns out your spell buffs and heals affect the whole party so I can finally be a co-op healer :catholic:

Edit: also you can chain together Catch Flame spells if you keep tapping. Light 'em up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pmchem posted:

Biggest annoyance is figuring out what menu / action controller icons map to what keys, as it changes based on context.

You can change the on-screen prompts by going to System -> Sound and Display -> Device for On-Screen Prompts and changing it to Keyboard and Mouse.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even knowing all this it's been hard getting out of the habit of rolling R1ing lol

yeah that's gonna be a tough one for me to break too. i'm hard pressed to think of any SoulsBourne game I've played where rolling + R1 wasn't my main combat strategy

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Congrats to all those who can actually get the game working

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

That guy has like twice my health lmao

Explains a lot

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also does anyone on Playstation know if saves will transfer from PS4 to the PS5 version (or vice versa)?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Eastern Limgrave/Mistwoods

Made the acquaintance of a huge jacked wolfman knight with a bigass sword and he wants my help revengeancing a guy. He says he's nearby, but knowing From games that means he could be on another continent.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Heath posted:

Started as a Prophet or whatever and it turns out your spell buffs and heals affect the whole party so I can finally be a co-op healer :catholic:

Edit: also you can chain together Catch Flame spells if you keep tapping. Light 'em up

See I keep reading stuff like this and wanting to switch builds.

I like soulsborns, but I'm a bad 'build' creator and usually follow somebody else's guide on how to make a fun character that doesn't kind of suck at everything.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
how the gently caress do i keep finding new things in the first part of the map jesus

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Are the 'fixes' for the pc version collected anywhere

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

blue squares posted:

Well it seems that if I am a gamer who dislikes difficult bosses, this game was as much a waste of money as all other FromSoftware games I have wasted money on lol. I looked up a youtube on Magrit the Fell and it took the player 9 minutes. Jesus

But the player also looks to have way better gear than me so maybe I went there too soon

it’s a big game, if you’re stuck on one thing there’s probably 10 places you could explore instead to beef up your character

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How many of you went straight to the beach first?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm still not sure if I should keep banging my head on the castle with my astrologist or try something else. :/

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I really wish you could pause cutscenes in this, or at least have something that let you re-watch them in game. SOMETIMES LIFE CALLS drat IT! And I don't want to go searching around Youtube since it's annoying/spoilers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that video is good. It made me realize I maybe should use guard while I’m 2 handing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Deviant posted:

I'm still not sure if I should keep banging my head on the castle with my astrologist or try something else. :/

If you're getting frustrated try something else. You have tons of save slots.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’ve only known the pot warrior for five minutes but if anything were to happen to him I would kill everyone in this game and then myself.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This game rules. I hope modders uncap the framerate soon.

e: it's out already but the memory tampering required to do it probably results in a ban online. sad. maybe I shouldn't do it or I won't be able to go back.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 25, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

Congrats to all those who can actually get the game working

i just play on a ps5, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It’s gonna take me a while to get used to X not being interact/pick up lol