Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1) there may be some ukrainians who fall for it

2) attempt to counter the ukrainian "remember the alamo" style fight to the death mythology that is building quickly and effectively (snake island, etc.)

3) internal consumption within Russia "the ukrainians are weak and about to surrender"

I think Putin is vastly underestimating the internet age :nws: potentially

https://twitter.com/Balshone/status/1497178406617759745

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't ready every post obviously, but has there been any discussion about how spot on all the intel turned out to be?

It's understandable that Zelensky wanted to play it down to avoid panic or perception that he's about to initiate a war but hopefully everyone took it seriously.

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497225449755263009?s=20&t=fSYuhaK9ezR-7xbnPCUNKQ

These terms are obviously not palatable to Ukraine, but it suggests what their initial concessions would be if Ukraine surrendered early.

My best counter offer is recognition of Crimea and joining NATO, rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mmkay posted:

Weapons? What weapons? There are humanitarian supplies.

yeah. lots of orthadox versions beecher's bibles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mmkay posted:

Weapons? What weapons? There are humanitarian supplies.

Also after today I suspect rejecting NATO ascession will not be palatable at all either. Because Russia is basically saying: "We'll come in whenever we want, whenever we want."

It leaves Ukraine as nothing more than a Russian satellite state.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497225449755263009?s=20&t=fSYuhaK9ezR-7xbnPCUNKQ

These terms are obviously not palatable to Ukraine, but it suggests what their initial concessions would be if Ukraine surrendered early.

The LNR/DNR part is just a dick move, but the rest seems like "reasonable" here's your chance to surrender before you we conquer you demands, if it actually doesn't lead to occupation forces in the rest of the country. Like the only point of NATO and military supplies is to prevent being conquered, so if the choice is to foreswear that or get conquered, it's probably better to foreswear it. And Crimea was never going anywhere anyway. I'm not making a normative judgment on what Ukraine should do at this point, but it wouldn't be irrational to accept. Except for the whole getting torn apart by angry crowds if you do I guess.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

I thought Russia was supposed to be good at this particular method of war?

The only people it works is american far-right who have melted their brains with cocaine

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mnoba posted:

I really hope no one was driving in that car. That's what you meant by "internet age" right?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mnoba posted:

Just want to make it clear that the driver survived this.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Re: Maldova. If you believe Wikipedia, unification with Romania is a thing and getting more popular. One of the holdbacks is the two pro Russian breakaway regions. Personally I'd now be trying to fast track reunification and say gently caress it, jettisoning the two regions.

But not being desperate to keep land full of people who don't like you is why I'm not a head of state...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

wetdela posted:

There is no outside chance. Never going to happen.

Was listening to an interview a few hours ago on the BBC from the ukranian opposition government, one of the ministers, she was backing the current government 100%, her son has joined the fight, she was very patriotic and declaring that ukraine would not surrender. And this is the alternative government who would probably dislike a few things the current gov did in the leadup to this week, but now are backing them fully against russia.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mnoba posted:

was that a russian BTR. also those folks are dead.

https://twitter.com/kryze_zhavyk/status/1497134177770168326

lickspittles apperently.

https://twitter.com/no_itsmyturn/status/1497136412046544896

old man survived

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

That's after the Russian response that they're willing to negotiate?

How do you say 'Russian president, go gently caress yourself' in Russian again?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

was that a russian BTR. also those folks are dead.

No there's video of them pulling out the driver, who survived and is being treated.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CommieGIR posted:

How does this help him? How does this possibly gain Russia any PR?

Proud and oppressed Ukrainian patriot Christians seize power from terrible Jewish neonazi government come to agreement with Russia and Ukraine and Russia are friends again as they always were

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Eric Cantonese posted:

I really hope no one was driving in that car. That's what you meant by "internet age" right?

Hard to explain why a dastardly Ukrainian tank attacking the motherland of Russia ran over a poor fleeing Russian mother and her 12 children

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Baronash posted:

Because a democratically-elected leader flagrantly violating the will of the overwhelming majority of their own population (and, in this case, capital) on an existential issue is not going to remain a leader for long.

You're making a bunch of really large leaps in assuming the rationality of the population, and almost seem to think this is a prisoner's dilemma where the NATO countries will always betray. Thing is that human behavior is way messier than this, and if "their own population" see the war as one where they're the good guys fighting for a good cause, they are very likely to swan-dive right in. If anything, the public is more likely to want to strike back because they see Russian aggression as a 'betrayal' of world order. And you can experimentally verify that people are more than happy to trust each other up until one person betrays. After that point, all bets are off.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

No there's video of them pulling out the driver, who survived and is being treated.

good to hear sorry, just saw it thought it was new

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

The LNR/DNR part is just a dick move, but the rest seems like "reasonable" here's your chance to surrender before you we conquer you demands, if it actually doesn't lead to occupation forces in the rest of the country. Like the only point of NATO and military supplies is to prevent being conquered, so if the choice is to foreswear that or get conquered, it's probably better to foreswear it. And Crimea was never going anywhere anyway. I'm not making a normative judgment on what Ukraine should do at this point, but it wouldn't be irrational to accept. Except for the whole getting torn apart by angry crowds if you do I guess.

The big problem is that Putin tears up treaties before the ink dries on them, so taking them on face value is kind of naive.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

drunkill posted:

Was listening to an interview a few hours ago on the BBC from the ukranian opposition government, one of the ministers, she was backing the current government 100%, her son has joined the fight, she was very patriotic and declaring that ukraine would not surrender. And this is the alternative government who would probably dislike a few things the current gov did in the leadup to this week, but now are backing them fully against russia.

Consider the fact that Zelensky’s party were considered the reasonable middle ground option more favorable to Russia. ЄС (Poroshenko’s party), Right Sector, the list goes on. loving forget about any separate peace.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Somaen posted:

Zelensky's government are woke liberal russophobic neo-nazis and he's reaching out to the good smart boomers of the Soviet upbringing who can talk man-to-man with macho bunker grandpa

It gives me hope that he's falling into the insane fascist trap of underestimating your enemies like Stalin did with Finland and Hitler with the USSR

Russia has invaded Ukraine to show true decommunization to the people of Ukraine. And to liberate Ukraine from horrific neonazis, who are also weak and effemenized by Western ideology, and controlled by a Jew. Ukraine poses a severe and immediate threat to the Russia, and will be defeated effortlessly in a matter of days by the heroic Russian Armed Forces

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
Aftrt all of putins lies about not invading why would Ukraine trust that he'd stick to his offered terms for a cease fire? I could imagine putin just using it to position his forces for round 2.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Mnoba posted:

Alternate angle video here, plus the ambush that led to the driver of the armoured vehicle getting distracted (presumably) and running over the civvie (who survived and was pulled free after this engagement)

:nms: shows someone getting shot up in a truck and then executed a minute later

drunkill posted:

That Strela that ran over a civvie car was ambushed and distracted, here is the combat leading upto it

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1497213543837544449

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bel Shazar posted:

There is an almost 0% chance we would love up to those guarantees.

I disagree with this. This is literally something the United States military routinely wargames. They do not, and did not, wargame intervening to save Ukraine. That alone should tell you a lot.

This is not to say that I think the United States would absolutely under all circumstances intervene, but I think there is a real possibility they would, and I think China understands this. I also think that the United States government, rightly I might add, is far less concerned that the Communist Party of China would resort to the use of nuclear weapons than they are that the Russian Federation would. That plays a big role in the potential willingness of the United States military to stand up to China.

Edit

The biggest concern I think currently for the United States military is related to their actual readiness and ability to intervene in enough time to make any difference in Taiwan; and a big part of this is the weakness of the United States Navy when it comes to sea denial. Unfortunately for the United States Navy, it is designed around force projection against asymmetric opponents, and while China and Russia continued to develop their ability to sink ships and deny the sea to an opponent, the United State's navy still relies on the mk-48 torpedo delivered by USN SSNs and sub-sonic short range (compared to what China and Russia currently field) anti-ship missiles developed in the 1960s and 1970s (Harpoon Missile Systems).

The USN is about a decade behind at this point when it comes to anti-ship missile systems, and it is a huge, huge problem for the USN in a contesting a Chinese invasion of Taiwan scenario.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 25, 2022

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Check the replies

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mmkay posted:

The big problem is that Putin tears up treaties before the ink dries on them, so taking them on face value is kind of naive.

That's a possibility, but it has to be weighed against the certainty of what's happening now. Obviously I think Ukraine should have tried making concessions before the invasion to prevent it (though yes, Russia is the country that had the option not to invade and it's wrong for Russia to do so), when they might have received a better deal, but I still think negotiating to save lives today is worth a try. I don't think people understand that what we've seen so far is a very clean version of the type of war Russia fights, and if they start bombing Ukraine the way they bomb Syria, it's going to be a LOT uglier. Obviously Russia will face consequences for that if they do, as they should, but that's not much solace to the people who die in the meantime. But like I said, I'm not making normative judgments about where Ukraine should draw the line at this point, I'm just saying what seems strictly rational from my outside perspective.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

I keep writing and deleting a post about how the crushed car incident resembles the Red Fičo in Croatia. Or how the Ghost of Kyiv resembles the three British biplanes over Malta in 1940. Or how the sunflower seed lady resembles the Victor Hugot (?) quote about wars being already doomed when old women empty their chamberpots on the heads of passing soldiers. Or how the Snake Island guys remind me of the urban legend about a Russian (?) patrol boat refusing to yield/surrender to a Japanese warship, is saluted by the warship and then sunk without further ceremony. Any one of these will add to the national myth and medium to long term this war will solidify the Ukrainian identity even more. In that sense, that's another loss for Putin.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Being for or against Russia is turning into a partisan split because of trump in the US. being against China is something both parties agree on.

There is a lot more political will to fight China then to fight Russia

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Has Putin not simply lost the plot? With Xi not pleased with the economic woes this will bring their core goals/ambitions, is there anyone aside from Belarus onboard with this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Clavavisage posted:

Check the replies

Well if he died after, the video shows him alive as they pull him out.

Dog Friday posted:

Has Putin not simply lost the plot? With Xi not pleased with the economic woes this will bring their core goals/ambitions, is there anyone aside from Belarus onboard with this?

Belarus is Putin at this point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Being for or against Russia is turning into a partisan split because of trump in the US. being against China is something both parties agree on.

This in no way has to do with the skin tone of Russians for those Americans nope, none whatsoever! :shepface:

Also Putin to them hates (((Globalists))) as much as they do and Trump is THEIR GUY, so of course they support Putin

Really wish we could just actively call them Collaborators though

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russian forces advancing from the West now to surround Mariupol

https://fxtwitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1497228146445279236?s=21

I know its not a small city by any means, but I'm guessing it has high symbolic value now.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't ready every post obviously, but has there been any discussion about how spot on all the intel turned out to be?

It's understandable that Zelensky wanted to play it down to avoid panic or perception that he's about to initiate a war but hopefully everyone took it seriously.

My best counter offer is recognition of Crimea and joining NATO, rear end in a top hat.

Easy for you to bargain with their lives on the line and not your own. If I was Zelensky, I'd take it because whatever promises were made, whatever you were told how Russia would behave or how united the EU is or isn't, it wad obviously a bad bill of goods.

If he can get the Russians to stop forward progress and return to their lines of departure minus the new territory that the 2 breakaway Republics are going to get then that's a slam dunk for me. You keep full control of the Dniepnr and you keep Odessa which is your main hub to the Black Sea. You remain nominally independent and as long as you stay fairly demilitarized, it is likely good enough for Putin.

If however he insists on full occupation while this process occurs, then I guess you gotta ask how much your people are willing to bleed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its a divide in the GOP and thats it though and i suspect the worse this gets the smaller the "ra ra putin" wing of the GOP will since the rest of the GOP gets hard to the idea of smashing the red menace of russia(yeah i know) but i do agree about the china part.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ah, the drug addict trope. Long time no see.

For westerners, this is Slavic “ur gey” argument.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
both Ukraine and Russia attempting to establish in real time what the Russian army's appetite is for Grozny #2 (well, three, really. You get the point)

I'd guess nobody really knows, not even Russia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MikeC posted:

Easy for you to bargain with their lives on the line and not your own. If I was Zelensky, I'd take it because whatever promises were made, whatever you were told how Russia would behave or how united the EU is or isn't, it wad obviously a bad bill of goods.

If he can get the Russians to stop forward progress and return to their lines of departure minus the new territory that the 2 breakaway Republics are going to get then that's a slam dunk for me. You keep full control of the Dniepnr and you keep Odessa which is your main hub to the Black Sea. You remain nominally independent and as long as you stay fairly demilitarized, it is likely good enough for Putin.

If however he insists on full occupation while this process occurs, then I guess you gotta ask how much your people are willing to bleed.

But Russians are not going to return to their lines. That's the gist. That's the demand. Putin still demilitarizes Ukraine (which likely means occupation), Ukraine becomes a defacto Russian territory.

This is not a valid promise from a country that just ripped up every promise it ever made. That's also why the invasion is important: It basically smashes the idea that Putin will honor any agreement at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

i dont think it is good enough for putin though. i think he will come back sooner rather then later to finish it.

psycho with a gun
Sep 30, 2021

by Pragmatica

StopFascism posted:

I have become convinced that C-Spam has essentially become infiltrated by fascists who use left wing talking points and ideology to push people towards fascism.

The invasion of the Ukraine by Russia has no excuse under any leftist frame of thought. Putin’s Russia is not a leftist state in any way or form. It functions as a far-right Oligarchic Kleptocracy where the power of the capitalist Oligarchic corporations are protected completely by the state and by all rule of law. It is in no way an effective Democracy, and opposing party members are poisoned or arrested on trumped up charges.

Within the school of leftist thought you may claim that functionally the United States is the same, I believe there are quite big differences in terms of having somewhat more open elections and allowing freedom of opposing party members. Eitherway, leftists all agree that nothing about the United States political and economical system is “Good.” How you could point to a foreign economic and political system, which is much more unequal, and extremely worse for the proletariat masses as somehow being better because it opposes Westernism is the height of hypocrisy.

The invasion of Iraq was extremely illegal and wrong, but for all it’s bad, at the core of it’s government Sadam Hussein was a dictator that ruled without any elections and without the will of the masses. The only person that directed the nation's policy was him. Alternatively, Ukraine is a nation with an elected president, who represents at least marginally the will of people. The majority of Ukranians want to ally themselves with the west and NATO. Their right to self-determination means they should have every right to do so, just as much as Mexico should have every right to ally itself with China and Russia if its people so desired and elected politicians who would enact such a policy.

Beyond that the justification for war is grossly wrong. There may be Neonazi’s active in Ukraine. There are also Neonazi’s active in Russia, in the US, in nearly every country in Europe, in pretty much every country on the globe. The ideology of Russia is not far from the Neonazi, Putin and the Russian Military differ little from Hitler in their overarching ideology, and only in how willing he is to voice his beliefs publicly. Their concepts come directly from fascist books such as The Foundation of Geopolitics. Fascist politicians are extremely influential in Russian politics. Their main goal has been to push fascism throughout the world. On the world stage there can be no doubt. Beyond the Bourgeoisie, Russia represents the old system - From Monarchism to Imperialism to Feudalism. They are not a friend of the working class in any way or form, and the goal of Russia is to retrench the world back towards reactionary ideologies and nationalism by creating an alliance of fascist nationalist states similar to their own.

Saying you are invading Ukraine to denazify it is like saying you are invading Chile to decommunize it. Recent elections there did involve a coalition with communist parties, for example.

Russians activity in Syria leaves little imagination or justification to the effect that they represent the entrenched upper classes. The Syrian war was essentially a class conflict, brought on by a famine in the countryside that pushed the poor impoverished agricultors into the cities who were summarily ignored by the Syrian Dictator Bashar-Al Assad. The war started due to class conflict between the poor impoverished masses and the capitalist Dictatorship rulers. Russia could have supported left-leaning groups such as the YPG and other organizations focused on improving the conditions of the poor in Syria via socialism. They did not because they do not represent leftism nor are friends of leftists in any way or form. Russia will always side with the bourgeoisie and ruling classes and if you continue to support them and they win they will be happy to enact fascist dictatorships throughout the world.

When you defend the invasion of Ukraine you are essentially defending fascism. You are defending a reactionary response to democracy. You are defending Russian Imperialism, Russian Oligarchy, Nationalism and Fascism. There is no way around it.

For as much as you may hate NATO and the US or the West there is no defense for Russia and their actions here. There is nothing leftist about this and if members of C-Spam are defending the Russian invasion of the Ukraine they are defending fascism and inviting its spread through Europe, the US and the rest of the world. I have serious doubts that any of the posters who defend these things are actual leftists, if anything I believe they are fascists who have infiltrated the forums long ago and use left-wing talking points to push fascism. We can see that throughout the internet this has been a common tactic used by Fascists on other social media networks and forums.

In the days pre-internet, when thought was printed, the spread of news took forever - and the quantity of opinions was limited. Freedom of speech was essential. Just as with guns, we have evolved, in the past we had invented simple revolvers, and they may be acceptable for some self defense use. But as technology has advanced so have weapons, instead of revolvers we have AR-15s and semi-automatic weapons in the hands of common people who use them in ways that are irresponsible and dangerous. These weapons of mass war don’t belong in the hands of common people. As weapons technology has advanced so has the internet and social media. In this day and age freedom of mass speech and spread of misinformation from groups with very little actual power is as dangerous as a machine-gun.

I call on Jeffrey and the rest of SA to either shut down C-SPAM or investigate and ban potentially subversive fascist posters in that forum. They are not doing anyone any good and they are in fact potentially pushing people down a pigeonhole that radicalizes them towards far-right ideologies. I say this from personal experience. This is dangerous.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

the one good post on this entire forum and it's permabanned lol

psycho with a gun
Sep 30, 2021

by Pragmatica

Mnoba posted:

Putin must be executed immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CommieGIR posted:

How does this help him? How does this possibly gain Russia any PR?

This is meant for domestic consumption e.g boomers and low IQers