Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hot early game tip save your sword key for after fighting the ghost boat you get a stamina recovery talisman in a little nearby underground chamber in that arena area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like I did a lot of that lmao, it took hours to even be able to level up. I thought maybe runes were just rarer than souls

I dunno, I'm level 20 and am on the 2nd boss in the big castle. I have about 6 hours and killed like 3 little cave bosses.

I think I am gonna level up a bit more cause this guy is rough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How early in the game can you get an ash of war that gives you Faith scaling on a weapon, out of curiosity?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the entire Souls series 30-40 int/fth/str/dex was generally the "cap" at endgame and anything higher was tiny % changes.

So as a new person it's a big handicap to be a glass cannon. You'll wreck things but they will easily destroy you. It's best to get your HP and Stamina up first then focus on what kinda of dmg stats you're going for. And yea, upgrading weapons will be more efficient early on. :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

In the entire Souls series 30-40 int/fth/str/dex was generally the "cap" at endgame and anything higher was tiny % changes.

So as a new person it's a big handicap to be a glass cannon. You'll wreck things but they will easily destroy you. It's best to get your HP and Stamina up first then focus on what kinda of dmg stats you're going for. And yea, upgrading weapons will be more efficient early on. :)

IIRC this was no longer true specifically for Int and Faith in Dark Souls 3, or Arcane in Bloodborne. DS3 Int/Faith had significant scaling all the way up to 60, and in Bloodborne, Arcane scaling for spells would be meaningful all the way to 99. Not sure how it goes in Elden Ring but (very vague magic spoilers, no specifics) there's at least one sorcery that requires 70 Int to cast.

That said the advice to level HP and Stamina first is good, especially because upgrading your weapons is always a much bigger boost in the early game than increasing your stats, but HP and Stamina are always valuable.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Damage is good but if you're dead you don't do damage. Get your hp and end to 20 at least (preferably higher for hp) and rely on the damage from 2handing weapons and upgrades. Scaling only gives you a few points on weapons with low or no upgrades.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, the game does nothing to tell you this.

Except kill you in 2 hits. "Why do I keep dying?" - Quote from man who refuses to level his health.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 25, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: I think "The Chest" is gonna be a meme soon.

I loving LOVE reading peoples reactions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t0y1rv/i_opened_the_chest_i_want_to_go_home/

"I opened the chest - I want to go home"

""At least I got out of that cave... Oh God why is the sky blood red?""

Ok can I get a hint as to where the hell it is? I feel like I've pretty thoroughly combed everything within a small radius of the starting area, but maybe not

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

something i love about this game is spoilers, for me at least, in text form don't really mean jack poo poo. none of it makes sense and is so far out there and there is so much to do I could just post that i got ganged up on by gunblade wielding ghost dogs in their tiny dog castle and who the gently caress will correct me

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have family over this weekend so I can’t play until Sunday.

Game good?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I love how much more generous with stamina this game is.
Wretch starting bars look like
🟥🟥🟥
🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And then it regenerates with alacrity.
And it seems like you can dash as long as you like when you are out of combat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goferchan posted:

Ok can I get a hint as to where the hell it is? I feel like I've pretty thoroughly combed everything within a small radius of the starting area, but maybe not

It's east (maybe slightly southeast) of the starting area. You'll see some ruins and hear guys chanting to the dragon within.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

goferchan posted:

It's in the ruins south of the dragon swamp in the starting area

Also disappointed that you can dodge out of the teleport effect but the chest just closes again, there's no item there

edit: considering restarting the game because I used my sword keys on the portal at the start of the game and that was may too much poison and death for me

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 25, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The Chest and some other teleporter thing have been really cool. Just suddenly you're not in Kansas anymore and it's great. Then I found a ruin in the forest and :aaaaa:

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have family over this weekend so I can’t play until Sunday.

Game good?

Good enough that you should ditch your family

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got a wartalon sword from the birds which has a cool art attached to it. I also got an ash that makes my sword do magic damage that I kinda wanna use though!! Maybe I’ll put it on another sword

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have some ashes but no whetstone knife to use them with :argh:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harrow posted:

How early in the game can you get an ash of war that gives you Faith scaling on a weapon, out of curiosity?

Pretty early. I found one and could probably give you some hints about finding it, but I don't remember what anything is called.

It's neat though I have a holy mace for my confessor now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pretty early. I found one and could probably give you some hints about finding it, but I don't remember what anything is called.

I'll take hints sure, even if they're vague and without proper names :v:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have some ashes but no whetstone knife to use them with :argh:

Snoop around the ruins right before that gate with the drop-troll and archers

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I went to the castle a bit too early. These knights are absolutely kicking my rear end maybe I should pop back out and wander around

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Harrow posted:

IIRC this was no longer true specifically for Int and Faith in Dark Souls 3, or Arcane in Bloodborne. DS3 Int/Faith had significant scaling all the way up to 60, and in Bloodborne, Arcane scaling for spells would be meaningful all the way to 99. Not sure how it goes in Elden Ring but (very vague magic spoilers, no specifics) there's at least one sorcery that requires 70 Int to cast.

That said the advice to level HP and Stamina first is good, especially because upgrading your weapons is always a much bigger boost in the early game than increasing your stats, but HP and Stamina are always valuable.

I used the wrong words there, hehe. 40 for soft cap, 60 even sharper and then 99 hard.

It's a bit all over though in that range.
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4m768y/psa_soft_caps_for_spell_scaling/

That spoiler is nuts though - wow, wonder what it'll be now. Gonna be level 250!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I went to the castle a bit too early. These knights are absolutely kicking my rear end maybe I should pop back out and wander around

BotW thread is that way

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
First boss strategy that worked for me was summon two dudes with magic equipped because that poo poo makes short work of him fast.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'll take hints sure, even if they're vague and without proper names :v:

OK, IF I'M REMEMBERING CORRECTLY, it's from a dung beetle next to some church ruins in a low area, in the map zone directly to the east of the starting map zone. You'll be sent down there anyway if you can beat the mariner.

Writing it out I don't know how much that really helps lol

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vermain posted:

You can change the on-screen prompts by going to System -> Sound and Display -> Device for On-Screen Prompts and changing it to Keyboard and Mouse.

yes I just found this and was coming to post it but saw your reply. best UI improvement ever over dark souls 3!

Orv
May 4, 2011
So just in response to the people who have played a chunk and feel like "It's just a Souls game and I've seen it before," I think that's a fair take but I think the game also does itself a massive disservice by having its opening area being semi-generic. poo poo gets extremely hosed later on and while it's still very Souls, they definitely back loaded the new mobs and weird poo poo.

Those with Shrine of Amana PTSD may want to quit while you're ahead, though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are the dung beetles this games crystal lizards? There's some that are red that replenish flasks but then apparently others have items? I let one poof cause it was white and I was like - I don't need flasks! I wonder if it respawns. :(

E: Apparently they do come back after resting. Probably reload too. Time to head back to that spot after work!!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 25, 2022

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I like seeing other phantoms sneak around with me. I haven't found a single dex weapon yet lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

So just in response to the people who have played a chunk and feel like "It's just a Souls game and I've seen it before," I think that's a fair take but I think the game also does itself a massive disservice by having its opening area being semi-generic. poo poo gets extremely hosed later on and while it's still very Souls, they definitely back loaded the new mobs and weird poo poo.

It is pretty funny just how much of a Dark Souls it is though

I was joking it's Dark Souls 2 2 but actually, it completely is

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Christ Amighty somebody FINALLY loving implemented the perfect mount system! My god the way they've handled mounts in this game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
It's a WoW-style mount with no cast time or cooldown. Effectively just a run speed and jump height enchant with a skin. It even has its own associated attack animations too! You can instantly and seamlessly go from a horse galloping to full on stealth sneaking with two button presses, and from sneaking to full on galloping on a horse with two button presses, and you don't even have to stop moving in your current direction. gently caress that's amazing. Finally somebody actually did it.

Everybody who has ever said mounts are separate, living animals and therefore need to be separate objects you should have to keep track of, call, and that can get lost in the wild can go straight to hell.

I don't even care that it has its own health pool because all it takes to "revive" is a health potion. Not a big enough deal to matter.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 25, 2022

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why do I keep randomly dismounting from Torrent in the middle of combat? I'm not getting hit or anything I just... vault off sometimes seemingly at random

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It is pretty funny just how much of a Dark Souls it is though

I was joking it's Dark Souls 2 2 but actually, it completely is

It is extremely a sequel to the best Souls.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Frankston posted:

Why do I keep randomly dismounting from Torrent in the middle of combat? I'm not getting hit or anything I just... vault off sometimes seemingly at random

You must be clicking in the left stick maybe your controller is busted

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Frankston posted:

You're stress pressing L3. :lol: Happened to me a ton last night. I was like, gently caress - but then I was stressing out fighting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Damage is good but if you're dead you don't do damage. Get your hp and end to 20 at least (preferably higher for hp) and rely on the damage from 2handing weapons and upgrades. Scaling only gives you a few points on weapons with low or no upgrades.

Except kill you in 2 hits. "Why do I keep dying?" - Quote from man who refuses to level his health.

I meant the scaling thing. Because back in ds1 when all the weapons I found early on had D scaling I figured that meant id find better ones later on.

As to the dying in two hits... I think sometimes the series reputation for being brutally hard works against it. It leads to people bashing their head against the graveyard skeles instead of climbing up to the undead burg. Or, in my mates case, spending hours punching the asylum demon to death.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've encountered at least once instance of my horse being despawned on purpose by the game. So that can happen too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So if I just wait 6 months for used copies of this game on Xbone to become cheap, still think that the graphics on that console are fine and don't care about frame rate beyond stuttering/freezing, am i good to just grab it on a discount? Even though I'm a graphic artist, I don't get too wrapped up in all the "performance" that a lot of people do and don't typically find the graphics between XBone, XBoneXBX and XboxMegaSuperHD-UltraX to be game changers that effect my enjoyment and, since my eyesight is shaky, really don't tend to notice...My TV is old but looks good enough to me.

I kind of feel bad for PC gamers because I swear to god this performance/rig/specs blowback happens every loving time a new game comes out, seems needlessly complicated and a colossal pain in the rear end to deal with loving around with driver updates, conflicts and different SSD's or cards. I just want to load the disc, fire it up and have a good time for 2 hours if I can spare it. Also I'm broke, have a limited game cost/time budget and usually make it a habit to stay one generation behind to be frugal and hoover up used games.

Yes I am :corsair: thanks for asking.

I guess my question is, anyone playing the base PS4 or Xbone versions and having any trouble? I don't mind 30fps but will mind slowdown, pop in, freezes and poo poo like that. Load times don't bother me.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

You're stress pressing L3. :lol: Happened to me a ton last night. I was like, gently caress - but then I was stressing out fighting.

loving hell yeah that's probably it. Happened to me constantly in Sekiro.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I can’t play till later tonight. Is it good????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slowpoke! posted:

I can’t play till later tonight. Is it good????

I can't stop thinking about dem rings. It's that good. Hate being at work on a Friday with a new release!!