Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Still love how he got his nom de guerre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

Bad news.

I mean, there's a bit more character focus in season 2, I suppose, but season 1 is considered the "good part", and Setsuna never gets interesting. In fact, he somehow gets even more boring.

Cleretic posted:

Well, that's disappointing. It wouldn't even be that bad if the show knew its characters sucked, and so de-emphasized them in favor of the political maneuvering and intrigue. But they seem convinced that they wrote a character drama, despite at no point writing characters.
Don't take chiasaur's opinions on 00 very seriously. He's only seen the first episode and is relying on hearsay for the rest of it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

00’s cast rules.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I felt that episode 14 or so is when the Meisters really start to grow when the cracks in the plan *really* start showing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Setsuna's relationship with Ribbons is incredibly fascinating. Aside from a few missteps, 00 has some incredible character work that people don't appreciate because it's not as "big" as most Gundam works.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I found the gundam meisters in 00 pretty boring on the whole. Most of the secondary cast were pretty cool though

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Meisters don't have much in the first half besides Tieria but they get better. The secondary cast of 00 is the real strong point, Graham Aker and Soma/Sergei are fantastic as well as Saachez.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Ali is funny because after watching his subbed version first, I was like "he's kind of like Gym from Turn A, but also if 00 ever gets dubbed, I totally see Scott McNeil hamming it up for him"

and alas

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

MechaX posted:

Ali is funny because after watching his subbed version first, I was like "he's kind of like Gym from Turn A, but also if 00 ever gets dubbed, I totally see Scott McNeil hamming it up for him"

and alas

Scott McNeil voiced Gym in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 and 3 and it was the best thing ever.

"Today I am feeling good WITH A CAPITAL G! :black101:"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/RNGundam/status/1497398523133894656?s=20&t=LqxZx-RF6e_VXvUyVVDqjA

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'll probably rewatch 00 after I do my franchise watch so I can refresh it in my memory but I definitely really liked Lockon, even season 2 Lockon. I also really came around on Louise by the end too and I think she had one of the stronger character arcs for the series. Graham also rules. Il

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'll probably rewatch 00 after I do my franchise watch so I can refresh it in my memory but I definitely really liked Lockon, even season 2 Lockon. I also really came around on Louise by the end too and I think she had one of the stronger character arcs for the series. Graham also rules. Il

Lockon Stratos definitely wins both 'nicest Gundam pilot' and 'best name'. And I appreciate that pretty much right from the jump everyone recognizes that his Gundam is the best one, because... well, it's hard to beat the guy that can snipe both to and from orbit.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

00's Gundam designs are absolute top notch

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I like S1's designs a lot more than S2.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Exia is one of my faves and someday I'll finish a gunpla for it. Someday....

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Say what you will about the art in Seed and Seed Destiny, it was neat that the robots had insanely stretchy torsos

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure I dig the Anno Domini Gundams all that much. The clavicle antennae look kind of dumb and awkward, and they tend to have too much in the way of random spikes, fins, and other kibble that either serve no purpose or look outright inconvenient for aerodynamics, range of movement, or both. They just don't seem as elegant and well-thought out as the franchise's best mechanical designs, where every detail feels like it has some kind of meaning. Compare the Arche Gundam with the conceptually similar Gundam Vidar from IBO, for instance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The problem with the Arche is that when you see the Jagd Arche you're like "oh that's what the Arche was supposed to look like"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I haven't been the biggest fan of the mobile suit designs I've seen in-show so far, but do have to give the show credit that the reason I'm watching it is because I picked up an MG GN-X and wanted to see where it came from. So it's got at least one hit in it for me.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Reconguista has the best mech designs. I love the G-Self, but I know it isn’t to everyone’s taste.

However the Grimoire is indisputably the best grunt suit. That thing looks so god drat cool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Reconguista has the best mech designs. I love the G-Self, but I know it isn’t to everyone’s taste.

However the Grimoire is indisputably the best grunt suit. That thing looks so god drat cool.

Fun bit of trivia? The designer for the Grimoire also did the design for the Vidar. He got started on Gundam stuff with G-Reco, as far as I can tell, but he went on to design a ton of IBO suits.

Don't know if he'll be back for Mercury, but I'd be a bit surprised if he wasn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
IBO does have my favorite overall mobile suits, I think because they're designed to seem VERY industrial and mechanical, even if they are still very fantastical. I like that you can really tell how all the IBO Gundams are supposed to move and function; I've got the Full Mechanics Vidar, and my favorite detail about it is that the waist area is a bunch of pistons, which makes total sense for how something like that could move.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun bit of trivia? The designer for the Grimoire also did the design for the Vidar. He got started on Gundam stuff with G-Reco, as far as I can tell, but he went on to design a ton of IBO suits.

Don't know if he'll be back for Mercury, but I'd be a bit surprised if he wasn't.

Yeah, the advent of Ippei Gyobu was perhaps G-Reco's biggest contribution to the franchise, and I'm always happy to see him getting more work. He's an absolute master of using mechanical design as visual storytelling, and creating machines that are both stylish and entirely purposeful.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

He also does the covers for the Moon Gundam manga which look incredibly stylish.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ibblebibble posted:

He also does the covers for the Moon Gundam manga which look incredibly stylish.

This is my favorite new Mobile Suit

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Is this an Eva'd up Gundam or a Gundam'd up Eva?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like some of the IBO suits a lot but I find a lot if their silhouettes get lost in the mechanical detail during action scenes and they're a tad too blocky for my personal tastes. But I'm also a huge fan boy of Okawara's original Gundam designs so I've always been a fan of the chonk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most IBO's suits do nothing for me. And i love gyobu's work in Reco.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ippei Gyoubu is an absolutely fantastic graphic artist and I was really happy to see him get into Gundam, and I have yet to be disappointed by any of his designs

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

IBO has the best mechanical design in the franchise besides 00

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco has by a significant degree the best mechanical design in the series and I'd easily put Original and Turn-A over 00 or IBO. Like we tend to forget since they are so common but the Zaku or Dom or Gelgoog or the GM or the Gundam are all fan-loving-tastic designs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco has by a significant degree the best mechanical design in the series and I'd easily put Original and Turn-A over 00 or IBO. Like we tend to forget since they are so common but the Zaku or Dom or Gelgoog or the GM or the Gundam are all fan-loving-tastic designs.

...Eh?

I mean, I like a lot of G-Reco's designs, but the best by a significant degree?

G-Reco has a lot of interesting designs, including a few that do a really good job of conveying their role (like the Recten and the Recksnow) but many designs still feel arbitrary in relative strength and function, making it difficult to "read" the battlefield at a glance. And then there's the CE style backpacks for the G-Self, burying a neat design in piles of one-off whatever.

Meanwhile, IBO has a really good design sensibility, conveying character and role. You look at the Graze, you can see it. The core Graze looks less suited to fight peer opponents than the honor duel style of Carta's Graze Ritter, but more advanced than the Geirail. The Grimgerde is an obvious inspiration for all of them, but as an elite prototype rather than a MP model, while the Reginlaze keeps the grunt style while looking like it can gently caress up anything short of a Gundam. And the Julia is an obvious ace model, a human pretending to be a monster contrasted with the monstrous Kimaris Vidar trying to maintain some level of humanity.

Just glancing at a battlefield or a suit design tells you a lot about the world and the flow of combat. Meanwhile, G-Reco leaves you guessing.

(00 does a bit of that in season 1, with three distinct design heritages, but season 2 centralizes everything around the Celestial Being look, which is kind of a shame.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial opinion: i think every gundam show i've seen has excellent mech designs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

With G Reco the battlefield role confusion is intentional. The factions themselves don't know what to do with the robots. They gave a Moonlight Butterfly equipped Gundam to a high school cheerleader with no combat experience because she wanted to pilot a robot and that's the one they had lying around.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

controversial opinion: i think every gundam show i've seen has excellent mech designs

gundam x was kinda bad with it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think most shows have their standouts and then the rosters fill up with stuff you could take or leave, depending on how you feel about the series overall aesthetics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

With G Reco the battlefield role confusion is intentional. The factions themselves don't know what to do with the robots. They gave a Moonlight Butterfly equipped Gundam to a high school cheerleader with no combat experience because she wanted to pilot a robot and that's the one they had lying around.

I mean, nobody in Turn A (except Harry Ord) knows anything about what to do with robots either, and the viewers still were given enough information to figure out what was going on.

In fact, the impact would be stronger if the viewers could see which suits were terrifying god machines and which ones were mass production garbage. It did rely on external knowledge, but it was a great gag in Turn A when Gavan piloted a Zaku One as an ace machine, because the suit that looks different has to be better, right? The gap between viewer knowledge and character knowledge makes for both tension and humor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I do think the GM suffers from being the one design that's just objectively been done better later on. Even just the GMII from Zeta looks better, the black cockpit just really fucks up the design

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i think most shows have their standouts and then the rosters fill up with stuff you could take or leave, depending on how you feel about the series overall aesthetics.

I dunno. Gundam X is definitely in that category, with a popular main suit and a lot of forgettable Wing leftovers and UC rehashes for the rest of the designs, but IBO and G-Reco have interesting stuff all through the lineup, as does Turn A.

Meanwhile Wing basically has a completely different baseline for its grunts and its main suits, with the Leo and the Wing Zero Custom almost feeling like they belong in different shows. Liking one is no guarantee of liking the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

IBO doesn't do much for me overall :shrug: i can go for the unique stuff named pilots get but Grazes are whatever and by S2 they've just kept adding secondary/grunt suits that elicit about as much response as X's Jenice variants.