Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess my question is, anyone playing the base PS4 or Xbone versions and having any trouble? I don't mind 30fps but will mind slowdown, pop in, freezes and poo poo like that. Load times don't bother me.

It's totally fine on my old xbox one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Slowpoke! posted:

I can’t play till later tonight. Is it good????

It's a masterpiece depending on how much you are performance obsessed.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Finally killed (like 5 minutes in spoiler) that sack of poo poo golden dude and his dumb horse. I like this halberd. It does Holy damage so I'm tempted to end my plans to level for this sweet hammer I found to become a holy halberder instead.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Slowpoke! posted:

I can’t play till later tonight. Is it good????

I’m having more fun than I did with Dark Souls 3 so far. It’s not on the same level as Sekiro or Bloodborne yet though. But yeah game good

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Orv posted:

It is extremely a sequel to the best Souls.

Dark Souls 1?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Jellyfish is OP on bosses with low poise, lol

how do you even summon though? I got that jelly but it never actually gives me chhoice to use

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm sorry for asking a question that I'm sure everyone's sick of but this is the first Souls game I've ever played: Is it easy to accidentally make a lovely build in these games? I no longer have the time or appetite for do-overs so if there's a recommended way to play to make the experience as carefree as possible, I'm all ears. Or is Elden Ring too dissimilar to the previous titles?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

how do you even summon though? I got that jelly but it never actually gives me chhoice to use

I went to the first church with the vendor at night and this blue lady was there and said some cryptic stuff and gave me a bell.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Spoilers

You need another item to actually use the summons. Go back to the church where the santa claus-looking merchant is

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

anatomi posted:

I'm sorry for asking a question that I'm sure everyone's sick of but this is the first Souls game I've ever played: Is it easy to accidentally make a lovely build in these games? I no longer have the time or appetite for do-overs so if there's a recommended way to play to make the experience as carefree as possible, I'm all ears. Or is Elden Ring too dissimilar to the previous titled?

You can beat the game as level 1. Any leveling, no matter how dumb of a choice you make, will make you stronger than a level 1. The only negative to making a "bad build" is it costs more and more currency to level up when you make up for a mistake.

In Dark Souls 3, you could respec I think. You can probably do the same in this.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Margit down using the power of... the same spell I've been using since the game started. Also the NPC summon and jellyfish, who probably did 90% of the work. No idea how Faith is working out but having 2/3 of the usable spells so far be your starter spells feels wrong. I could probably upgrade and mod my shortsword to do split scaling and beat the hell out of magic.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

anatomi posted:

I'm sorry for asking a question that I'm sure everyone's sick of but this is the first Souls game I've ever played: Is it easy to accidentally make a lovely build in these games? I no longer have the time or appetite for do-overs so if there's a recommended way to play to make the experience as carefree as possible, I'm all ears. Or is Elden Ring too dissimilar to the previous titled?

its sort of easy to mess up.

the quick rule for builds in this kind of game - pump your HP and stamina stats to 15-20 ASAP, then start pumping your main offensive stat like strength or dex or int to about 15-20. from there, you can pretty much do whatever you feel is necessary.

e: alternatively, if there is a weapon you *really* want to use, and you don't have the required stats, get those up, then put points into HP/Stamina.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Are there any incantations that are cheap fast and far ranged that you can get? I like the idea of being a caster with melee backup so on paper maybe going astrologer int or prisoner int/dex would make more sense on paper, but the idea of a str/faith knight with fire spells seems cooler aesthetically if it's feasible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mailer posted:

Margit down using the power of... the same spell I've been using since the game started. Also the NPC summon and jellyfish, who probably did 90% of the work. No idea how Faith is working out but having 2/3 of the usable spells so far be your starter spells feels wrong. I could probably upgrade and mod my shortsword to do split scaling and beat the hell out of magic.

I thought you couldn't use the spirits with summons? Do NPC summons not count?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

anatomi posted:

I'm sorry for asking a question that I'm sure everyone's sick of but this is the first Souls game I've ever played: Is it easy to accidentally make a lovely build in these games? I no longer have the time or appetite for do-overs so if there's a recommended way to play to make the experience as carefree as possible, I'm all ears. Or is Elden Ring too dissimilar to the previous titles?

Never sick of helping!! :)

Apparently you can respec later on but I don't know when. You can't really make a lovely build but it will be harder to correct as you're handicapping yourself.

The best way to play as a new person is bump your hp and stamina so you can take more hits, roll more, hit more, etc. After that start upgrading weapons and armor. If you find a cool weapon in the wild - build towards that. It's a sort of dance as weapons that get upgraded scale better with their respective modifiers.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok I have to say it, the outdoors color palette is really, seriously ugly. Like that electric blue/purplish blue sky against the golden tree and almost lime green grass are really abrasive and obnoxious to look at. It's like the world has been painted over with cheap government paint and it looks like poo poo.

However, every single interior space I've seen looks unbelievably incredible. Weird.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 25, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mailer posted:

There are some very cool and practical-looking sorceries later on, going by some clips I've seen in reviews, though how much later I don't know. Kinds of attacks that haven't been in previous Souls games, to be specific.

Spell type spoilers: get excited about gravity spells and necromancy

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

anatomi posted:

Generally health and stamina points are better early and damage stats are more important later once weapons are upgraded and scale better (so they do more damage per point you have in their main stat).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is horse fightery still good as a magic user?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm tapping out on the game until From patches it on PC. I don't want to play this game if it runs like rear end on my 2070 Super. All the fixes I tried barely really helped

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Frankston posted:

Spoilers

You need another item to actually use the summons. Go back to the church where the santa claus-looking merchant is

This bitch literally would not spawn in my game no matter what I did or guides I followed. The bell thing she gives you is also available for sale in the safe space, Roundtable Hold, and is sold by the vendor surrounded by piles of books. Stupid loving esoteric bugged out piece of poo poo game. "Well we wanted this NPC to give you this item but we just couldn't get her to spawn where we wanted all the time in this video game in which we have 100% control over the game's code. durrr

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 25, 2022

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Do we have a goon soft password?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Early game your stats aren't going to increase your damage that much. Each weapon has a base damage, plus a modifier based on some multiplier of the stats. As you upgrade the weapon the base damage increases, but so does the scaling multiplier. So early game pumping str or int isn't going to make you hit that much harder. You basically want to get your stats to the minimum needed for the weapon you want, and plow a load of points into health and stamina.

Yes, the game does nothing to tell you this.

Basically I'd start two-handing whatever str weapon you can, and get that upgraded asap while you level your health and stamina.

wouldn't 2 handing immediately get me murdered because i am made of paper and shame?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's the deal with all these ashes I keep finding? I get that I can like, transfer special abilities to weapons I guess, but is that all? Also when/where can I enchant my stuff?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I really hope I can get D's armor.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I haven't seen a single player summon sign yet. Is it currently busted or do I have to get to the hub first?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't really understand why there are two co-op items and the one is a crafting item. The consumable crafting item puts it down wherever, the permanent one puts it down around those statue things in the places where you'd want to put it down anyway.

Kind of just feels superfluous

Deviant posted:

wouldn't 2 handing immediately get me murdered because i am made of paper and shame?

Two handing's worked pretty well so far with my lovely club, especially with guard counters. Keep in mind a guard counter prevents you from taking damage.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 25, 2022

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

I haven't seen a single player summon sign yet. Is it currently busted or do I have to get to the hub first?

You need to pop an item for player summons to show up

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Wild Strikes is OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJSIZk04go

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I might buy this on a base ps4 that my buddy gave to me recently. Having no experience with the PlayStation system of things it’s really unclear to me what I need to if I want the online features of this game - do I need ps now or ps+?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I might buy this on a base ps4 that my buddy gave to me recently. Having no experience with the PlayStation system of things it’s really unclear to me what I need to if I want the online features of this game - do I need ps now or ps+?

PS plus

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This game's style open world is definitely not doing me any favors. I didn't find the tutorial until two hours in because I read this thread, and I didn't find the second checkpoint, the one that unlocks weapon upgrades and crafting, until five hours in thanks to reading this thread.

Given that it's been very easy for me to overlook other core components of the game, should I expect to have found the ability to learn summons and cast spells or whatever before the first boss?

I kinda wanted to be an arcane trickster, but so far my only trick has been to try to bonk things with the flail (which I found thanks to this thread).

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Pumping dex towards my flail destiny. Starting as a wretch is tough when you don’t have the game/build/item locations memorized

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I found a whip but it seems incredibly poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Frankston posted:

Spoilers

I'll need to warp back to the first area they dump you in because no idea what y'all talking about and by now I'm halfway across the map in some random area with giant enemy crabs and hot air balloon freaks

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh god I'm trapped somewhere horrible jesus god nooo

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I feel like going for the squishy Astrologer for my first ever souls like game may have not been wise.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
as someone that bounced off hard from all the previous souls titles, I'm absolutely loving the short return times to boss arenas. finally i can just focus on learning the moves, and practicing different strategies, instead of getting angrier and angrier running back dodging mobs.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have this little red square on my status bar with a down arrow. I'm assuming it means an HP reduction of some kind, but I have no idea what's causing it. I even unequipped everything and it's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm getting weird framerate drops. They always happen when I pass certain areas and drop the framerate to about 5 FPS, but if I stand there for a second they go away. It feels almost like the game's loading something. My GPU usage also decreases when they happen, like something is forcing the game not to render as fast as it should rather than my card not being able to keep up. Does this happen to anyone else?