Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Deviant posted:

I guess my confusion with melee builds is how you're supposed to deal with bosses.

It's not like you can block a lot of their big huge swings, and when you try it's just "lmao get rekt nerd"

Which in turn leaves me wondering if i should reroll as a less screwed up caster or figure something else out

dodge roll is as op in this game as it ever has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Deviant posted:

I guess my confusion with melee builds is how you're supposed to deal with bosses.

It's not like you can block a lot of their big huge swings, and when you try it's just "lmao get rekt nerd"

Which in turn leaves me wondering if i should reroll as a less screwed up caster or figure something else out

Dodging and using spacing, mainly. Also don't sleep on parrying bosses. I always forget about it, and you'd be surprised what you can parry. Margit doesn't quite fall into this category (or at least I couldn't work out the parry timing on a bunch of his attacks), but all the past Souls games have tough bosses that can be nearly trivialized by parrying.

Elden Ring is pretty generous compared to the Souls games as far as how much stamina you have to work with at the start, which helps.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

You have this because you let the lady hug you. it trades HP for poise.

Right! Thank you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deviant posted:

You have this because you let the lady hug you. it trades HP for poise.

Isn't that only if you actually equip the item?

e: Oh it lingers until you do, gently caress

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Deviant posted:

Edit: I guess if i rerolled caster, I'd want to just int up to use my staff, then go hard into vigor/mind for support? Ie more sustainability instead of trying to two shot bosses?

Melee runs on Sekiro rules now. Charged heavy attacks and jump attacks deal the most poise damage, find gaps in the pattern to fit those in until you get a critical chance, repeat until the boss dies. R1 spam is exclusively for dealing with trash mobs and hunting critters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

The game expects you to dodge roll as a primary means of defense, with some blocking mixed in for specific attacks if you have enough Stamina and a shield with a high enough Guard. Running away from specific attacks - usually ones with big windups and limited range - is also a valid means of evasion. There are a lot of attacks that require almost inhuman reflexes to dodge this time around, so investing in Vigor and some heavier armor (while staying with light/medium equipment load) isn't a bad idea.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Dodging and using spacing, mainly. Also don't sleep on parrying bosses. I always forget about it, and you'd be surprised what you can parry. Margit doesn't quite fall into this category (or at least I couldn't work out the parry timing on a bunch of his attacks), but all the past Souls games have tough bosses that can be nearly trivialized by parrying.

Elden Ring is pretty generous compared to the Souls games as far as how much stamina you have to work with at the start, which helps.

I have in the entire time I've had this game, maybe done four successful parries. It is getting to the point where I am wondering if there's a bug on my side.

Jordan7hm posted:

Dodge, block what you can, stagger them and critical hit them.

Dodging to the left is a tried and true strategy.

Also, if you’re struggling there are always summons: the item ones and the npc ones and the coop ones.

The dark souls series is hard but also provides a ton of tools to make it easier.

I guess my experience with this is that if I dodge around, I get caught by big sweeping AOEs or tracking overheads.

SkeletonHero posted:

Melee runs on Sekiro rules now. Charged heavy attacks and jump attacks deal the most poise damage, find gaps in the pattern to fit those in until you get a critical chance, repeat until the boss dies. R1 spam is exclusively for dealing with trash mobs and hunting critters.

I...see. Strange.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Deviant posted:

Edit: I guess if i rerolled caster, I'd want to just int up to use my staff, then go hard into vigor/mind for support? Ie more sustainability instead of trying to two shot bosses?

My approach to bosses without a shield has been: roll thru smaller, quicker attacks and R1 thru those openings. For sweeps or larger openings I jump and use a jumping heavy attack or my weapon’s art to build up stagger damage and eventually get a riposte.

Also I won’t be able to play this game for the next few days so I’ll be vicariously living thru this thread. As soon as I get back home I’m searching for the spooky chest

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

CerealKilla420 posted:

Trying not to actually read the thread because I don't want to hit any spoilers, but came here to say that the game is currently completely unplayable for me on my machine with a 6700xt and 3600x.

It runs great a max settings until combat and then I get stutters and frame drops that are so bad I literally can not play the game.

I'm sure this will be patched within the next week just wanted to validate anyone with a similar setup that may also be having similar issues.

Thanks. This poo poo is so frustrating because the game looks amazing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Deviant posted:

I guess my experience with this is that if I dodge around, I get caught by big sweeping AOEs or tracking overheads.

you're messing up the timing, try to be in the invulnerable frames (i.e. start your roll) when the attack impacts.

sprinting full speed away from AOEs is also reliable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Am I confused or are some spells just bad and you have no way of knowing? I bought Crystal Barrage and Glintstone Stars and they're just not as good?

Foul Fowl posted:

you're messing up the timing, try to be in the invulnerable frames (i.e. start your roll) when the attack impacts.

sprinting full speed away from AOEs is also reliable.

Well, sure it sounds easy when you say it like that.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
So I was just exploring the early game swamp with crabs. Then I got owned by a trap chest that teleported me to a far away crystal mine. and I escaped from it only to find out I'm actually in the poison swamp.
This game is :twisted:.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I opened the chest. This game is epic.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Should I play this game on my base PS4 or my PC? I don’t care much about graphical fidelity, I just want consistent performance

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Deviant posted:

Am I confused or are some spells just bad and you have no way of knowing?

idk what to tell you, game's hard.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Last night, the game played pretty okay at medium and low settings on my my 1060 and old-rear end processor. This morning, it was a little stuttery so I updated my drivers and now I'm getting freezes every ten minutes or so. It's like the performance is getting worse every time I load it up. Hopefully some optimization patches are coming soon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The most basic Faith fire spell is surprisingly fast and good at staggering. I've been using that as my first move when I get an attack opening, and then I can follow it up with a slower sword swing if they get staggered.

I tried the long-range fire spell, but quick enemies can just dodge it. Big enemies probably can't though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Margit was a really tough first boss, but the whole change to R2 causing "poise" damage makes him WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier. Just hitting a handful of R2 strikes to knock him off balance made the unending assault just end, and then stab him in the front.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What I've decided to do is buy DS1RM on xbone, gently caress around with that to get good and then buy ER 6 months from now used for $35 once I get my poo poo correct. The difficulty of the first game made me quit on it but I'm optimistic I have the right idea on things now so wish me luck.

bi crimes posted:

Should I play this game on my base PS4 or my PC? I don’t care much about graphical fidelity, I just want consistent performance

I had the same question and the answer seems to be the simpler the better if graphics aren't your main concern so, based on what I know, just do PS4 base

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deviant posted:

Am I confused or are some spells just bad and you have no way of knowing? I bought Crystal Barrage and Glintstone Stars and they're just not as good?

Well yeah, are you expecting people here to post muscle memory into your limbs? Because I mean, that's what it is.

They have muscle memory and reflexes from past Souls games. You learn by doing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

You want to counterintuitively roll into the majority of attacks, since the iframes + movement will usually move you out of a weapon's hurtbox compared to rolling away from the attack. With that said, there's certain attacks - especially ones with secondary shockwave AoEs - that are ridiculously hard to time properly, and if you can sprint out of reach, you're better off doing so.

SkeletonHero posted:

This is extremely important and not telegraphed very well in the game at all. I went from beating my head against the Lingrave Tunnels boss to oneshotting him once I stopped trying to whittle him down and instead went for charged Club R2s to break his Poise. Sure would be cool if they deigned to include a loving visible Poise meter like in Sekiro if they're gonna go that way!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Deviant posted:

I have in the entire time I've had this game, maybe done four successful parries. It is getting to the point where I am wondering if there's a bug on my side.

Parrying in From games is kind of...unique. I didn't figure it out until the final boss of DS1. I know what gave me fits for a long time is that in most games, you time your parry for when the enemy's weapon is about to hit you. In these games it's more like you're interrupting their swing by smacking their sword arm. So basically, enemies generally do a wind up and then start their swing. Your goal is to swing your shield/casestus/parry dagger so that it connects with their hand/forearm right after they start the actual swing. Obviously using one of the small shields that are specifically for parrying is best for this, since they have short startups and longer active parry windows.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Lmao at so many people being convinced by that video to role tarnished and then everyone coming in here like “BEEN NAKED TOO LONG WHERE IS STAFF”

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Parries since DS2 have two elements to them: windup frames and active frames. You want an enemy's weapon hurtbox to collide with you while the active frames are on, which is generally when you're actually swiping the shield and not winding up before the swipe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vermain posted:

You want to counterintuitively roll into the majority of attacks, since the iframes + movement will usually move you out of a weapon's hurtbox compared to rolling away from the attack. With that said, there's certain attacks - especially ones with secondary shockwave AoEs - that are ridiculously hard to time properly, and if you can sprint out of reach, you're better off doing so.

This is extremely important and not telegraphed very well in the game at all. I went from beating my head against the Lingrave Tunnels boss to oneshotting him once I stopped trying to whittle him down and instead went for charged Club R2s to break his Poise. Sure would be cool if they deigned to include a loving visible Poise meter like in Sekiro if they're gonna go that way!

This is a good post tho. The impulse to roll AWAY from attacks is your greatest foe in Souls games 90% of the time. Roll INTO the giant horrordemons. It's actually safer that way!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Holy poo poo, Hookclaw has Quickstep as its ability which is just an even better dodge. I'm in love.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

how does the game determine when you can summon? i haven't figured out the pattern yet but a lot of times i go to summon and i just can't despite full FP.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Margit was a really tough first boss, but the whole change to R2 causing "poise" damage makes him WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier. Just hitting a handful of R2 strikes to knock him off balance made the unending assault just end, and then stab him in the front.

this is good to know. i have died to margit a good 10 times or so now. as a first boss, he's probably the hardest in a from game. usually i'll die 2 or 3 times - but they're already throwing in a damage sponge 2 phase with like 6 hit combos at boss 1. those usually don't appear until late game.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What stats should samurai upgrade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hobbez posted:

Lmao at so many people being convinced by that video to role tarnished and then everyone coming in here like “BEEN NAKED TOO LONG WHERE IS STAFF”

What video

Wretch life best life

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

aperfectcirclefan posted:

What stats should samurai upgrade

clases will only have relevance in terms of your first few hours equipment and what stats you have a headstart/deficit on.

to get the absolute most out of it, you'd focus on the ones you already have boosted - but there's no set path. you can decide to just start boosting magic and play as a mage later.

i don't think there are any unique perks to being a particular class, there never have been before.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this game is hard as balls man

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jordan7hm posted:

The dark souls series is hard but also provides a ton of tools to make it easier.

Except in this game it's very easy at least for me to miss those tools.

Does anyone have a good list of things that one really should know about and find?

I'm thinkin':
  • Tutorial
  • Crafting Kit
  • Weapon Upgrades
  • Horse
  • Summoning Ashes
  • Whetstone
And I still don't have half of those, but I've been doin' some research.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Except in this game it's very easy at least for me to miss those tools.

Does anyone have a good list of things that one really should know about and find?

I'm thinkin':
  • Tutorial
  • Crafting Kit
  • Weapon Upgrades
  • Horse
  • Summoning Ashes
  • Whetstone
And I still don't have half of those, but I've been doin' some research.

To miss some of these you have to have a SERIOUS allergy to investigating landmarks :v:

The third one is visible from where you first set foot in the open world!

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I've never played a Souls game before.

I've died about eighty times and I've been playing for a half hour.

What the gently caress.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

RBA Starblade posted:

What video

Wretch life best life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAHtC9xqUM

Everyone was riding this train like 4-5 days ago

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Man, these frame drops are brutal... :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why are people rolling Wretcheds?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

antisocial86 posted:

What the gently caress.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

antisocial86 posted:

What the gently caress.

Sounds like you and I might be related!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

antisocial86 posted:

What the gently caress.

same except I have played Souls games, just bad