Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

The only thing that makes crafting feel bad for me is how long it takes to level up crafted weapons to be able to put the good perks on them, though that also means I haven’t been able to get anything past level ten yet so maybe the costs for those good perks will also feel terrible.

It makes sense that you're not going to hit max the first week of the expansion. We have what, a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Resonance progression is kills and activity completion, so just sitting and killing mobs is probably not going to be an efficient way to progress guns. I'm pretty sure the same applies for leveling up crafted guns too.

That said, I feel like like making some guns require multiple patterns to unlock in crafting wasn't really needed? Like if they're worried about you getting a perfect gun too quickly, leveling up the gun and getting the ascendant alloys feel like pretty significant enough sinks. You can also cap the various other crafting mats which seems a bit annoying given it might create the temptation to stockpile resonant guns to extract from later?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That said, storming through shuro chi with a glaive is actually pretty fun.

Wife new light update - I pointed out the year 1 shader pack and she has gone goblin mode now. Everything must be shaded.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Guessing the answer is no, but is there any way to see how many of each of the crafting mats you have without going back to the table?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

haveblue posted:

So... don't grind shuro chi? Equip deepsight guns whenever you're doing basic easy content that doesn't need a perfectly tuned loadout, which is most of the game

If it wasn’t clear, I’m not saying you need to specifically grind Shuro Chi. A system that makes players grind with lovely guns instead of the guns they enjoy playing with is awful regardless. It’s not even a matter of pushing people outside their comfort zone to explore new mechanics like many of the catalyst quests, these are just bad versions of the guns you would normally use.

frajaq posted:

Ive been doing the PsyOps event and just switching to the weapons with deepsight ressonance after I kill the boss, they go really fast
Thanks, that’ll help. Obviously there will be workarounds like this to make interacting with the system as pain free as possible, but the fact that people feel the need to do this day 1 is pretty damning.

I love Destiny to bits and on the whole this expansion looks amazing, but god drat do they make some stupid design decisions at times.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Guessing the answer is no, but is there any way to see how many of each of the crafting mats you have without going back to the table?

If you have a resonant weapon, you can hover over the perks to see what material is associated with them, and how much you currently have.

Elerion posted:

It’s not even a matter of pushing people outside their comfort zone to explore new mechanics like many of the catalyst quests
I don't really see how "use this specific exotic in pvp" is "exploring new mechanics"

Resonance and weapon leveling feel like fine excuses to go "no, actually try this gun out" - and to their credit I literally have been equipping and using new guns and going "hey this isn't half bad." I think I much prefer this then them raising light by 50 every season in an attempt to get people to equip new stuff during the leveling process.

Like yeah, you aren't going to equip a resonant gun in a master nightfall or raid, but you probably weren't trying to do a catalyst quest/grind there either.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 25, 2022

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Finished the legendary campaign, thought it was really good as others also mentioned.

The reward for completing the legendary campaign? A new exotic with a 46 stat roll, lol..

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

slow_twitch posted:

Finished the legendary campaign, thought it was really good as others also mentioned.

The reward for completing the legendary campaign? A new exotic with a 46 stat roll, lol..

Also a jump straight to 1520 armor, which is the real reward

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was something buried in a pre-WQ TWAB about how they wanted to make the difference between solo / multi a little more fair, so enemy health / damage scales off how many people are in your fireteam.
Yeah I know it scales, I'm saying it scales to the point where it's much harder to do with three people than solo, despite the numerical advantage.

Part of it could of course be poor coordination within my fireteam, but there are several "boss has three damage phases and continuously spawns adds" fights where on solo you just pop two rockets to take a third of the boss' health and get to the mechanics phase, while with three people you can collectively spend all your heavy ammo to get through the first two damage phases and get stuck whittling it down with primaries while having to deal with adds at the end. At least that's been my experience.

slow_twitch posted:

When I finished Shadowkeep on my Titan the Phoenix Cradle I got had 48. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

Also a jump straight to 1520 armor, which is the real reward

Said armor has the goofiest set names in destiny history. It's probably more twin peaks references but they went over my head.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tbh the first roll being 46 stat feels worse than not getting it at all because now it’s diluted in the drop pool if you do lost sectors for it and want to get one with stats you’d actually use

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elerion posted:

Crafting appears to be every bit as garbage as I had feared. Let's hope it feels better once the initial unlock loop is done. From the people who brought you mindless shuro chi grinding for exotic catalysts, how about constant mindless shuro chi grinding with a bunch of crappy legendary guns forever?

It takes like 1.2 rounds of crucible or 1-2 strikes to trigger a deepsight residence, event completions matter way more than enemy kills, you’re making it way harder

Pirate Jet posted:

The only thing that makes crafting feel bad for me is how long it takes to level up crafted weapons to be able to put the good perks on them, though that also means I haven’t been able to get anything past level ten yet so maybe the costs for those good perks will also feel terrible.

Again, Weapon Crafting is a new system that was added to give players long term goals, expecting crafted weapons to all work amazing and feel really good and to have all the perks unlocked in the first week isn’t how Bungie works, or how Destiny has ever worked.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Part of it could of course be poor coordination within my fireteam, but there are several "boss has three damage phases and continuously spawns adds" fights where on solo you just pop two rockets to take a third of the boss' health and get to the mechanics phase, while with three people you can collectively spend all your heavy ammo to get through the first two damage phases and get stuck whittling it down with primaries while having to deal with adds at the end. At least that's been my experience.
I see, so it's more that they failed to properly deal with the 'triple boss health isn't fun' part of the statement?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did you try equipping special//heavy ammo finder mods? I found Solo Legendary basically impossible without them, and I absolutely had to crutch it with a Catalyzed Ghallorhorn for the 3 hardest encounters.

For me the difficulty curve was mostly a curve, with what felt like the hardest encounters 2/3 of the way through, but the actual final fight with Moth Mommy fragged me like 20 times before I understood how all of her Supers worked and could dodge them. Her final fight, disrupting her ritual, and soloing the two cabal tanks in the snow field surrounded by adds were the hardest part for me.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My favorite (non-spoiler) quote from this expansion:

Ghost: "Ah-huh."

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ghost has totally had enough of this poo poo at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Ghost has totally had enough of this poo poo at this point.

Him and Zavala are gonna need some therapy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the eyes gave me a noticeable uncanny valley feeling, which I expect is by design

The pupils are turbo-dilated, because of the lack of light

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I see, so it's more that they failed to properly deal with the 'triple boss health isn't fun' part of the statement?

The boss health is not nearly as much of an issue as red bars needing a full mag of green ammo just to be finishable.

If you’re doing the campaign on legendary after already doing it once though, worm gun (which requires campaign completion) puts in the work at a few points. Extremely solid for add clear, and if you kill enough red bars with other guns to get 20x Worm’s Hunger you can one- or two- shot a yellow bar (not final bosses though). You also get a damage buff to your other guns for being in the blast radius and getting worm guts on you!

But most importantly, SPLORTCH

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 25, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Elerion posted:

If it wasn’t clear, I’m not saying you need to specifically grind Shuro Chi. A system that makes players grind with lovely guns instead of the guns they enjoy playing with is awful regardless. It’s not even a matter of pushing people outside their comfort zone to explore new mechanics like many of the catalyst quests, these are just bad versions of the guns you would normally use.

This would be true in a world where they were making you use bad guns in difficult content but all they’re asking you to do is use, like, a pulse rifle with maybe a subpar roll on its perks in any content in the game. Godrolls really only make a difference in the hardest content that demands build crafting, they’re not asking you to use Salvation’s Grip.

Bust Rodd posted:

Again, Weapon Crafting is a new system that was added to give players long term goals, expecting crafted weapons to all work amazing and feel really good and to have all the perks unlocked in the first week isn’t how Bungie works, or how Destiny has ever worked.

I used The Enigma from the second I crafted it to the end of Witch Queen’s campaign and only got it to level 7 out of 15. Assuming later levels require more kills/activity completions, I’m not even halfway done unlocking perks on it, maybe not even a third. All that for one weapon out of the hundreds in the game makes it feel like a reasonable complaint to me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I know it's too soon to know for sure, but I am pretty confident in a few Pain Points with weapon crafting.

The inventory caps on the materials are LOW, so I'm going to be filling my vault with resonance guns that are ready to be harvested

Getting a crafted gun to a high enough level looks to be a long, long long process. Like, too long. "pick one or two guns to Craft this month" long.

Perks should really be "unlocked" on a specific gun rather than paid for each and every time. If I spend a month of material grinding on my shotgun, but then they nerf Full Choke and I want to go back to my original barrel, I've got to pay the piper for the masterwork, the mag, and all "Perks" in full again.

It doesn't seem like the system is going to deliver on its promise of clearing up vault space, and it's not a good system for Testing new perks and combos. Picking perks on a gun just one time is a huge commitment of time and resources.

It is definitely an effective system of Bad RNG Protection though. No matter what if I never get a great roll on X Gun, I can use X Gun for 2700 kills and a few weeks of material farms and buy that roll directly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

I used The Enigma from the second I crafted it to the end of Witch Queen’s campaign and only got it to level 7 out of 15. Assuming later levels require more kills/activity completions, I’m not even halfway done unlocking perks on it, maybe not even a third. All that for one weapon out of the hundreds in the game makes it feel like a reasonable complaint to me.

Yeah, this is a good read on it. I think ultimately all of my beefs with crafting are the usual bungie problem of "some of the Numbers involved seem off by 10x"

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know it's too soon to know for sure, but I am pretty confident in a few Pain Points with weapon crafting.

I agree with most of this, but leveling guns seems pretty fast if you’re using them in activities. I have multiple weapons over level 10 already, and it’s been 3 days.

I especially hate the low material cap. Dumb decision.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is, as I expected, their way of making sure crafting doesn't immediately lead to a permanent state where most of the crucible is using the one gun with the most broken god roll at any given time

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pirate Jet posted:

fwiw each campaign mission is one (1) Activity completion. If you're using Enigma in stuff like Strikes or where it really shines, Gambit, it'll progress a lot faster.

But also we're only 4 days into a new expansion.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Xur has a vorpal DMT, do get

Xur also got nerfed though because he sells the Collections roll on exotics now? And his legendary armor is also minimum stat?

I'm honestly guessing this is a bug...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The inventory caps on the materials are LOW, so I'm going to be filling my vault with resonance guns that are ready to be harvested

Getting a crafted gun to a high enough level looks to be a long, long long process. Like, too long. "pick one or two guns to Craft this month" long.

Perks should really be "unlocked" on a specific gun rather than paid for each and every time. If I spend a month of material grinding on my shotgun, but then they nerf Full Choke and I want to go back to my original barrel, I've got to pay the piper for the masterwork, the mag, and all "Perks" in full again.

It doesn't seem like the system is going to deliver on its promise of clearing up vault space, and it's not a good system for Testing new perks and combos. Picking perks on a gun just one time is a huge commitment of time and resources.

It is definitely an effective system of Bad RNG Protection though. No matter what if I never get a great roll on X Gun, I can use X Gun for 2700 kills and a few weeks of material farms and buy that roll directly.

Haven’t dug deeply into it myself as I only just finished the legend campaign, but I’m highly sus about the crafting as well. crafting looks like an insanely grindy way to let you scrape every last bit of possible optimization out of a weapon, but I really don’t care about getting my weapon rolls past 80% Good to be satisfied with them. needing 3 pattern extractions on a gun just to unlock it and then having to rank it up from 1 from there (which itself costs several new kinds of funny money) looks like an unreasonable slog unless I’m missing something. I will probably only engage with this much if some of the new weapons feel unusually good to use or there’s some outside requirements to use it, like how it’s needed for the osteo cat

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Xur also got nerfed though because he sells the Collections roll on exotics now? And his legendary armor is also minimum stat?

I'm honestly guessing this is a bug...

All vendor purchasable armour have the exact same bare minimum roll this week. It's probably a bug.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

frajaq posted:

nope, you also even get checkpoints (like in dungeons and raids), really good if you're stuck in a hard fight in the Legendary Campaign

Yeah this is really ace because 1. I had a crash at the very end of the first mission, and if I'd had to redo it it might be a month before I tried again and 2) I had to go to bed but was stuck on the boss in The Ghosts and was able to come basically right back to it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I def got booted to orbit during a really tough bossfight at the end of a 90 minute long Legendary mission and almost had a gamer meltdown but the checkpoint was right at the boss, it’s almost like they are learning!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A lot of the later encounters in the campaign feel like serious endurance matches where you can't rest for more than a second or two at a time even in cover.

I highly recommend the arc/solar damage resistance mod on a void chest piece for protection against all light elements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure the last boss fight needed to be three distinct encounters. It felt pretty epic so I'll give them that, but it lasted a bit too long.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Seems like Dares is not keeping score or something. That's disappointing :smith:.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1497271319481794562

It's a known issue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paracelsus posted:

A lot of the later encounters in the campaign feel like serious endurance matches where you can't rest for more than a second or two at a time even in cover.

I highly recommend the arc/solar damage resistance mod on a void chest piece for protection against all light elements.

I really appreciate that the campaign goes back and forth between “find a space on the map and make it your little zone” and “if you ever stop moving you will for sure die” because both of those are fun and exciting for different reasons but I feel like most games only ever lean into one or the other. I liked how I kept having to ask “ok, what does Bungie want me to do here, how is the level set up, is it a big loop or is it a static battlefield or what?”

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Do the elemental resist chest armor mods give the same damage resist as the sniper/concussive/melee resist ones?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can’t keep up with the thread so apologies if this has been covered and covered and covered:

Once a recipe is unlocked, do I need to bother with keeping red outlines of that same gun? By what criteria do I decide if I need to fill up the meter on a gun I’ve already unlocked, versus just trashing it? I’m only half-grasping crafting so far, I think.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You keep every red outline gun to be able to extract whatever crafting materials you need from it after filling it's bar. It has nothing to do with crafting the gun itself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, red outline guns are the source of both patterns and generic resources you will need to continue crafting other guns. If you want to keep crafting anything you have to keep completing and extracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I appreciate having Funnelweb in the game. I have a roll with Frenzy + Pulse Monitor, and while it's not as powerful as the Recluse, and you probably want an SMG reloader mod on your arms, it's enough of the same feeling that I've missed and that Death Adder never seemed to fully deliver on.