Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The has been a lot of data thrown around but honestly if the Russians were taking those type of loses, there probably would be more proof of it out there.

I mean it is hard to get an accurate picture but everything needs a bit of salt on both side at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

american liberals love learning the wrong lessons

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Zelensky is basically if Jon Stewart became president right

Rally to restore pryluky

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

fits my needs posted:

is he doing this while doing the funny voice and making faces

I wanted to inject more specific things John Stewart would do as a leader, but I genuinely don’t remember anything from him on the Daily Show other than he looked into the camera and shrugged a lot after reading some news.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/salahzhang/status/1496930402497347585

lol, it's really that bad?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/AizelKonArt/status/1497218856804356104

Anyone up for some old school goon гоатсе?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

oh like we're respecting state sovereignty all over africa and the middle east?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

Exactly.

What scares me is that since this exact scenario was predicted to be how a Cold War would go hot - Mobilization and Wargames during tense crisis negotiations - would NATO leadership have done the same thing in say, 1972?

I mean, NATO did do a big wargame in 1983 that almost started a nuclear war.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

the holy poopacy posted:

I dunno, if your strategic goal is to isolate Russia this turn of events seems like it's working, or at least probably preferable (in a coldhearted pragmatic sense) than letting Ukraine gently slide into Russia's sphere.

there are essentially no new sanctions against Russia, their main export is fossil fuels and that continues, now Italy can export luxury goods to Russia no problem.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Gumball Gumption posted:

Imagine Martin Sheen was president off the strength of the West Wing

oh no lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Torpor posted:

I disagree the US looks like warmongering spineless idiots who betray their allies

edit: Biden can’t even organize sanctions against Russia

Russia invading Ukraine doesn't make the US look like warmongers to anyone other than people who already 100% view the US that way. As for spinelessly betraying their allies, I think pretty much everyone understands that starting WW3 to defend Ukraine wouldn't have made any sense. Yeah, hanging Ukraine out to dry in terms of making them believe NATO was a realistic choice but denying them actual membership is "a bad look," but it's not the US that was standing in the way of NATO membership. And the sanctions really are ramping up pretty significantly at this point with Germany saying SWIFT is on the table now.

I will say that this could all be catastrophically bad for Biden if oil and gas remain expensive, and the EU resolve on sanctions could fall apart for the same reason, but so far traditional US Blob foreign policy goals are going really well from a super cynical perspective.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Presidenthubc/status/1497267817158422528?s=19

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Large amount of Ukrainian vehicles either destroyed or abandoned on the road near Kherson.

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497227095847620614?s=20&t=WpAUk3JnqJqiM3AJVdJjZA
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497238568418349062?s=20&t=WpAUk3JnqJqiM3AJVdJjZA

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Sinteres posted:

I will say that this could all be catastrophically bad for Biden if oil and gas remain expensive, and the EU resolve on sanctions could fall apart for the same reason, but so far traditional US Blob foreign policy goals are going really well.

oil sanctions against Russia aren’t going to happen so Americans don’t feel it at the pump. this could be a massive W for Russia the way things are going

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
For whoever was asking about Huawei earlier, saw this today, great documentary on how Huawei is doing in 2022 with the US sanctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpetgKrZj54

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Feb 25, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Russia invading Ukraine doesn't make the US look like warmongers to anyone other than people who already 100% view the US that way. As for spinelessly betraying their allies, I think pretty much everyone understands that starting WW3 to defend Ukraine wouldn't have made any sense. Yeah, hanging Ukraine out to dry in terms of making them believe NATO was a realistic choice but denying them actual membership is "a bad look," but it's not the US that was standing in the way of NATO membership. And the sanctions really are ramping up pretty significantly at this point with Germany saying SWIFT is on the table now.

I will say that this could all be catastrophically bad for Biden if oil and gas remain expensive, and the EU resolve on sanctions could fall apart for the same reason, but so far traditional US Blob foreign policy goals are going really well from a super cynical perspective.

Bruh.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

wow wild that capitalists only care about nations when one of them gets too leftist, who could have forseen this

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Chonchon posted:

It is very comedic and funny that westerners freak out over minor losses like this, and even funnier that they think russia is bothered and that this is somehow a propaganda coup, even if the bullshit Ukrainian figures about russian casualties are true.

I’d be more interested to know the losses suffered by Ukrainian Volksturm this far.

23,000 soldiers died in a single day in Antietam during the civil war. Americans aren't really used to the devastation that real war can bring, and the media shields us from the realities of what our bullshit operations in Iraq and Afghanistan caused in terms of real civilian suffering.

If the Russian operation in Ukraine achieves it's objective and kills under 10,000 civilians+soldiers total (on both sides), it's a minor miracle and a well-run operation.

Nothus posted:

I mean, NATO did do a big wargame in 1983 that almost started a nuclear war.

One of the big problems with Able Archer 83 was the implementation of new communication protocols that completely freaked the Soviets out, and from what I understand that exercise combined with the media pushing apocalypse scenarios with Threads and The Day After is what started pushing both sides towards detente.

SchrodingersCat has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Feb 25, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I dunno, if your strategic goal is to isolate Russia this turn of events seems like it's working, or at least probably preferable (in a coldhearted pragmatic sense) than letting Ukraine gently slide into Russia's sphere.

No relevant sanctions on their most important exports, made the US look powerless, potentially makes ukraine into a vassal state and the sanctions we do put in place in some of the sectors our own allies want might weaken the dollar as they start trading in other currencies to get to them. Like that india example, and the US aint going to be doing jack squat because they need them against china.

The biggest problem Putin gets out of all this is probably domestic if it lasts too long.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

It feels like Russia has had some significant set backs in this invasion so far, but thats a pretty drat big body count. I'd believe maybe a third of that but even that is a lot. That puts Ukraine killing like 10 Russians for every Ukrainian loss.

Oh jeez he's taking it from this tweet. https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497217276742979591?s=20&t=DdZGElxeYQN4ZOu5JYvAuA

The manpower number just means total casualties (killed or wounded) I would believe that number with it obviously heavily weighted towards wounded.

Le Saboteur has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Feb 25, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1497230379807383553

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

This is why you don't trust fake friends.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

~unexpected consequences~

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The biggest problem Putin gets out of all this is probably domestic if it lasts too long.

if his boner lasts longer than 4 hours he may need to see a doctor!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

It feels like Russia has had some significant set backs in this invasion so far, but thats a pretty drat big body count. I'd believe maybe a third of that but even that is a lot. That puts Ukraine killing like 10 Russians for every Ukrainian loss.

Wars have disputed body counts decades after the fact, I'd take any released while it's on going with a heavy amount of salt.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

that’s a pretty bad situation for the ukranians

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Biden single handedly mending the sino russo split

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Why did Biden think china would help the us after the last three years

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1496183170714193925?s=20&t=suW9_wRc5YC2UABG25QL3A

quote:

KYIV, Ukraine—If Russia launches an all-out war with Ukraine, one of its most dangerous weapons will already be in Kyiv: a network of potential turncoats and moles that Moscow has cultivated for decades within Ukraine’s military, intelligence and security forces.

That network is certainly much smaller than when the conflict began in 2014 with Russia’s grab of Crimea and covert invasion of the eastern Donbas region. At the time, two successive commanders of the Ukrainian navy switched sides to Russia, handing over most of the fleet, as did key security officials across the south and the east.

Since then, counterintelligence investigations, purges of people with Russian government connections and the promotions of combat veterans of the war against Russian-backed forces in Donbas have significantly reduced Moscow’s infiltration, Ukrainian authorities say.

Still, officials in Kyiv warn, a formidable challenge persists.

“The Russian intelligence network operating here has been installed a long time ago. We haven’t yet eliminated all of it, there is more work to do,” said Oleksiy Danilov, Ukraine’s national security adviser. “Their mission from the Moscow center is simple: destroy, destroy, destroy. They have no other mission except destroying us as a nation.”
Under Mr. Yanukovych, there was an unspoken order to Ukraine’s intelligence services not to try limiting Russian influence, said Anton Gerashchenko, a former lawmaker and an adviser to Ukraine’s interior minister. “Our special services simply did nothing.”

In 2015, Ukraine’s SBU domestic intelligence agency was hit by scandal when it sent a covert team to capture a Russian-backed militant leader in Donbas and word of the classified mission leaked out. The three Ukrainian operatives were themselves captured and thrown into a separatist jail where Russian-controlled rebels stripped them to their underwear, bound their wrists and blindfolded them, then paraded them in front of Russian journalists. Eventually the officers were released in a prisoner exchange. Ukrainian counterintelligence officials believe their capture was an inside job, the result of a betrayal by another high-ranking SBU employee.

In 2017, the SBU arrested an interpreter for Ukraine’s then-Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, accusing him of collecting sensitive government information on Moscow’s behalf. He had previously served as a translator for Mr. Yanukovych.

In 2020, Ukrainian authorities arrested Maj. Gen. Valeriy Shaytanov, the chief of the SBU’s Unit A, a counterterrorism special-operations branch, on charges that he had secretly helped Russia’s intelligence operatives prepare the assassination of a Chechen dissident in Kyiv. He remains behind bars awaiting trial.

Russia’s FSB intelligence agency created a special directorate to focus solely on Ukraine in July 2021, the month when Mr. Putin published a long article questioning Ukraine’s right to exist as a separate nation, Western officials said.

Many current and former Ukrainian security officials openly suspect that some of their colleagues, including in high positions, secretly work for Moscow. “A shadow structure has emerged inside the Ukrainian government to move information around known Kremlin assets,” said a report this month by the Royal United Services Institute, a London-based think tank, citing interviews with Ukrainian security and intelligence officials.
Oleksandr Danylyuk, who served as Mr. Zelensky’s national-security adviser in 2019 and oversaw intelligence matters at the time, said Russia still retains a large network, including within the SBU intelligence service. Ukraine’s GUR military intelligence service, the one that would be most critical in case of war, however, is the least affected, he said.

“GUR had a very good cooperation with our Western partners, and with the operations that they were performing they were very professional,” said Mr. Danylyuk. “I’ve had a chance to give the green light to some of them. Information wasn’t leaked, and when they performed everything was successful.” Ukraine, he added, has its own network of intelligence assets behind Russian lines.

Many Ukrainian citizens, including senior military and intelligence officers, have close relatives in Russia. Some maintain cross-border ties despite eight years of conflict. Many security officials who aren’t currently on Moscow’s payroll are likely to defect to the Russian side if they believe it has the upper hand, Mr. Martsenyuk warned. “There are a lot of people who can convert after it’s clear that they think there is a new ruler,” he said.

Political parties that advocate close ties with Russia while supporting Ukraine’s independence and territorial integrity won about 16% of the national vote in the latest parliamentary elections, in 2019. The leader of the biggest of them, Viktor Medvedchuk, has been under house arrest since last year as he is being investigated on treason charges that he denies. Mr. Zelensky’s government has also shut down Mr. Medvedchuk’s TV channel and several others, labeling them as Russian propaganda. Russian TV has been taken off the air in Ukraine after 2014.

“The fifth column is a public institution, even represented in our parliament, because our nation is too democratic,” Mr. Danilov said.

Suspicion about loyalties spills across national politics. Last year Ukrainian prosecutors announced an investigation of Mr. Zelensky’s predecessor, Petro Poroshenko, on suspicion of high treason because of his alleged role in the coal trade with Russian-led authorities in Donbas. Mr. Poroshenko, who is not allowed to leave Kyiv and its region following a court hearing in January, has denied wrongdoing and said he is the victim of a political witch hunt.

In 2014, despite a large network of Russian agents, attempted pro-Moscow uprisings in several Russian-speaking cities of southern and eastern Ukraine, such as Kharkiv and Odessa, ended in failure even though local law-enforcement officials sided with rebels.

“The Ukrainians have been pretty good in rooting them out,” said John Herbst, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine who is now at the Atlantic Council in Washington. “And the evidence for that is the failure of the Russians to launch a serious diversion effort where they have tried.”

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Because Biden thinks it's 1992, at best.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s a logistics echelon, I think maybe a Brigade’s (?), and intermixed with civilian traffic that I was concerned about earlier. Not great for Ukraine.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Agean90 posted:

Wars have disputed body counts decades after the fact, I'd take any released while it's on going with a heavy amount of salt.

Yeah, for real. Don't take anyone's estimates of casualties right now seriously as both sides are using those claims for morale warfare purposes. Even if reported with the utmost confidence by the most trusted journalists they should be treated with a high degree of suspicion.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fits my needs posted:

is he doing this while doing the funny voice and making faces

no its the jon stewart that got red faced yelling at wyatt cenac for telling him his minstrel voice michael steele impressions were kinda racist

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't like this volkssturm stuff. There is no point, they will be slaughtered for nothing :(

Listen, jack

How do i shot javelin

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

The last 3 what? Donald Trump is the most dangerous ----

No you're thinking of, whats his name, the
Black. I was the vice president.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

For whoever was asking about Huawei earlier, saw this today, great documentary on how Huawei is doing in 2022 with the US sanctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpetgKrZj54

That guy's documentaries on Wuhan from 2020 are p good also.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LMFAO

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Frosted Flake posted:

If you were Ukrainian, why would you fight room by room, building by building, block by block, just so your government doesn’t sign Minsk II?

:thunk:

the reasons countries go to war and the reasons people fight are pretty loving different and this post feels wildly out of place with your posturing as somebody with an education on history

like do you think that if you asked a bunch of americans in ww1 why they were fighting they'd say "because the war is negatively affecting American commercial and diplomatic interests" or do you think they'd say "remember the lusitania!"

p sure that if you're in kyiv the weird questions of why there are russians shelling your neighborhood are a low priority, people are gonna be thinking "will I look like a coward" and "will my chances of survival be better armed or unarmed" and "do I hate these other people enough to risk my life to hurt them" and of course "can I personally profit from taking some violent risks"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Grapplejack posted:

I feel like there's a kernel of an idea in there, like it would genuinely go against PRC interests to set an international precedent that it's okay for major powers to unilaterally recognize separatist regions and use their human rights records as pretext for military action while the international community just sorta ho-hums and does nothing, but since the general rule at the White House is No Brains Allowed, it mostly boiled down to "c'moooon, you gotta, c'mooooon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why did Biden think china was the good guys lol they only like us because we buy their products

they are the good guys tho