Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Denazification" means they're going to be targeting the far right elements of Ukrainian society & politics. That means for sure they're looking for Azov & the like, but they may also be looking to target members of Pravi Sektor and Svoboda. That doesn't mean they're looking to take out the government. Ukraine's government is legitimately elected, and whatever else you could say about Zelensky he isn't a Nazi. I'm guessing that the Russians will leave the Ukrainian government untouched, because they want legitimate officials to negotiate a ceasefire & an eventual end to the war. Setting up a puppet government would be too much trouble in the long run, because they'd have to deal with an endless insurgency and the war would never end.

This also ties in to what Putin said about "demilitarization." The Russians have been primarily targeting only military assets so far. I think based on what's happening as of now, that the Russian plan is to totally wipe out Ukraine's standing army. That means bypassing all the major cities without trying to fight for them and keeping any forces there bottled up; surrounding Kiev & putting it under siege to force the government to sue for peace; and actively hunting for all military equipment in the country they can destroy.

Based on all of that, I think what the Russians want is a totally demilitarized Ukraine forced into neutrality under the threat of Russia's military. Russia is going to achieve total strategic dominance over the whole country and there's nothing NATO can do about it. Ukraine's army, or what's left of it, won't be allowed to field anything more sophisticated than light vehicles and infantry weapons.

That's my guess based on everything Putin has said and what we've seen from Russian ground forces so far. I think a lot of information floating around about Russia's objectives is disinformation, probably intentionally seeded by the Russians themselves, to make it impossible to discern their intentions. But if we assume Putin isn't lying about his causes and intentions, then I think what we're going to see is the reduction of Ukraine to a de facto Russian client state with their security and foreign policy subject to Russian military intimidation.

I could throw in a bunch of caveats about how all of this is subject to change and we have to wait and see, but if I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

Yeah I think this makes the most sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it's the same brain geniuses that argued that Russia would join with US against China.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497266678601859081?t=1vaoXtchakggj-8fCIcBvg&s=19

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

This is why you don't trust fake friends.

Champaign for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Morbus posted:

Yeah I think this makes the most sense

Yeah, I think Russia's goal is to reestablish Ukraine as a neutral buffer to NATO and maybe establishing a land bridge to Crimea.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mighty kind of NATO to give even more stuff to the russians I guess

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Xeom posted:

All the Ukrainian blood being spilled is washing the hands of "the west" clean. Liberals are already going back to old talking point about "the west" spreading democracy. The blood craze is already returning to their eyes. We will invade someone now no questions asked and liberals will just look at you and say the word Russia. "The left" and anti war movement in America is already dead or on life support. With this, what little tattered remnants remained will be dissolved into nothing.

I hate this stupid gay loving world. Americans and liberals the dumbest and most servile group of people. Please just launch the loving nukes already.

With Russia specifically I think the deal is that a lot of liberals really hold onto the belief that Russia got Trump elected and 2016 broke their brains so badly that they'll never, ever forgive them for this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Morbus posted:

Listen, jack

How do i shot javelin

They are pretty much point and click. It sounds like a lot of them either weren’t issued or were given to paramilitaries first, which is bizzare.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Grapplejack posted:

Why did Biden think china would help the us after the last three years

he forgot

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
New footage of the heroes of snake Island in their final moments

https://youtu.be/0y_G-sIkG2w

Bless the 13 slava Ukraine!!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I’m impressed by Biden playing brinksmanship by only putting Ukraine on the brink and forgetting the manship. hasn’t gone so good thus far

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smdh people, the best US zelensky analogue is julia louis dreyfus

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tulip posted:

the reasons countries go to war and the reasons people fight are pretty loving different and this post feels wildly out of place with your posturing as somebody with an education on history

like do you think that if you asked a bunch of americans in ww1 why they were fighting they'd say "because the war is negatively affecting American commercial and diplomatic interests" or do you think they'd say "remember the lusitania!"

p sure that if you're in kyiv the weird questions of why there are russians shelling your neighborhood are a low priority, people are gonna be thinking "will I look like a coward" and "will my chances of survival be better armed or unarmed" and "do I hate these other people enough to risk my life to hurt them" and of course "can I personally profit from taking some violent risks"

I mean, I’m on the other side of being disillusioned from being the best trained, best equipped, best educated whatever and getting rolled by a Pashtun farmer and some RDX, so my heart’s not in it anymore.

It sounds great to bleed for your country until you do.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

when were those 20 years
1861-65 i'm assuming, what else? 1795-1805 , since 1805 is when the us went after the barbary coast? but they were doing naval stuff before that

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Blarghalt posted:

With Russia specifically I think the deal is that a lot of liberals really hold onto the belief that Russia got Trump elected and 2016 broke their brains so badly that they'll never, ever forgive them for this.

that's incredibly stupid so it's very likely to be true

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

smdh people, the best US zelensky analogue is julia louis dreyfus

is he also the child of a billionaire?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SexyBlindfold posted:

I feel like there's a kernel of an idea in there, like it would genuinely go against PRC interests to set an international precedent that it's okay for major powers to unilaterally recognize separatist regions and use their human rights records as pretext for military action while the international community just sorta ho-hums and does nothing, but since the general rule at the White House is No Brains Allowed, it mostly boiled down to "c'moooon, you gotta, c'mooooon"

if biden wasn't a total moron, if biden wasn't a total moron, my read on why you'd do something like this

the us very obviously does not give a gently caress about what happens in the ukraine, seeing as they are not even willing to put into place the only meaningful sanctions, and so by extension the intel was functionally disposable too, and a good use for disposable intel is to leak it to somebody who you don't quite trust and see what they do with it, so the confirmation that china would tell russia about the us poo poo talking them is more valuable than anything else they could do with that intel. high school gossip test poo poo

but biden is an absolute moron so i do not believe he was thinking that strategically

(though i could believe that he did that, not to advance us interests, but as part of a bet with a staffer because goddamn he's an idiot)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacemang_spliff posted:

that's incredibly stupid so it's very likely to be true

Peep the succ thread - KHive, Pantsuit Nation and the Blue Wave people are shouting “Remember the Maine” but for Hillary’s campaign.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1497230379807383553

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Lmfao

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

I’m sure this will go over well

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean, I’m on the other side of being disillusioned from being the best trained, best equipped, best educated whatever and getting rolled by a Pashtun farmer and some RDX, so my heart’s not in it anymore.

It doesn't sound great to bleed for a country you fuckinggggg dorkkk lmaoooooo you learned nothing

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

like, i am not advocating the US go to war or anything, but it doesnt feel good to have such a loving world-class idiot in charge right now, even trump would be better

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Biden: Listen here Fat...

Xi: *click*

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Frosted Flake posted:

you're thinking like an aristocrat, not a peasant

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Apparently France, Germany, and Italy are all on board with blocking Russia from SWIFT, but the US will probably push against it due to lobbyist influence.

I feel like blocking Russia out of SWIFT will open a whole new can of worms.

slave to my cravings posted:

I’m sure this will go over well

Officials are already responding to this and saying it's not NATO, it's individual NATO members making their own decisions. Still not great.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

okay people really are starting to lose their loving minds

im genuinely getting worried about a wider conflict now

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/cartographer_s/status/1497270258884829190

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Justin Tyme posted:

like, i am not advocating the US go to war or anything, but it doesnt feel good to have such a loving world-class idiot in charge right now, even trump would be better

The fact that Biden couldn't schedule a speech until noon, and then delayed it to 1:30, makes me wonder just how bad his mental capacity has gotten

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

SexyBlindfold posted:

I feel like there's a kernel of an idea in there, like it would genuinely go against PRC interests to set an international precedent that it's okay for major powers to unilaterally recognize separatist regions and use their human rights records as pretext for military action while the international community just sorta ho-hums and does nothing, but since the general rule at the White House is No Brains Allowed, it mostly boiled down to "c'moooon, you gotta, c'mooooon"

Taiwan is Han, Donbas is Han

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chamale posted:

The fact that Biden couldn't schedule a speech until noon, and then delayed it to 1:30, makes me wonder just how bad his mental capacity has gotten

Biden laying flat?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gresh posted:

okay people really are starting to lose their loving minds

im genuinely getting worried about a wider conflict now

there are definitely people that view the US work in Libya as a total success that they'd love to replicate

my "most pessimistic" valuation of the future of this conflict is Congo War In Europe

Chamale posted:

i got hairy legs

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

no its the jon stewart that got red faced yelling at wyatt cenac for telling him his minstrel voice michael steele impressions were kinda racist

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

they are the good guys tho

explain

Lord of Lies
Jun 19, 2021

Xeom posted:

All the Ukrainian blood being spilled is washing the hands of "the west" clean. Liberals are already going back to old talking point about "the west" spreading democracy. The blood craze is already returning to their eyes. We will invade someone now no questions asked and liberals will just look at you and say the word Russia. "The left" and anti war movement in America is already dead or on life support. With this, what little tattered remnants remained will be dissolved into nothing.

I hate this stupid gay loving world. Americans and liberals the dumbest and most servile group of people. Please just launch the loving nukes already.

lol, what a normal and hinged take

seek help

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Advertising is all powerful.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

no its the jon stewart that got red faced yelling at wyatt cenac for telling him his minstrel voice michael steele impressions were kinda racist

lol did he really do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy