Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

madmaxthatsbait.gif

how long do the drop rate boosting items last, I've only got one right now and I'm farming a dude by a bonfire and I don't want to just kill him once, rest, and lose it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Failed a certain quest because the NPC tried to surrender as my bleed procced and took half his life. rip.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This game is so loving good

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kneelbeforezog posted:

I really think the SoulsGenre type game is for people who have a deep need for self validation and ego lifting. I don't see the appeal in being triumphant in such an endeavor and I feel like for the select few who do like it genuinely, the rest are just doing it out of insecurity.

I find these games very easy, especially with all the tools it gives you (if you summon players, most things get trivialized for example), and that's largely a part of playing all of them sure but also, overcoming some kind of challenge is not at all what I play them for :shrug: Best world design, great level design, fantastic art direction (especially the enemies and bosses, dang), tons of secrets and replayability, huge build variety where they're all valid, secrets and easter eggs galore... that's what makes them good imo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Naw thats people who broadcast their gaming sessions on Twitch.

not me considering streaming to twitch

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
are log in servers hammered or what? was not able to login last night, was able to this morning, but now cannot.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Alright, my performance got better for a few hours.

So I touched something I shouldn't have touched, it took me to a VERY hosed up place looking right at a hosed up guy. I got on my horse, ran past, and ran into even MORE hosed up places full of nasty boys with boss health bars just running around in the wild and I just kept running until a hosed up horror from the skies annihilated me when I grabbed a map piece.

What a wild game!!!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is there anyway to see where you died?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm convinced that Elden Ring takes place in the world of Dark Souls 2.

1) "The Things Betwixt" was the intro zone from DS2, and having played the start of DS2 yesterday that whole area is fairly reminiscent of Elden Ring's overall world design. Also Things Betwixt = Lands Between, obviously.
2) It has enemies very much like Giants from DS2, and in DS2 the giants were said to be a prosperous and far-reaching civilization before they died off you time traveled to the past to kill them or whatever
3) Lots of nods to DS2 overall. The fantastical, colorful world, the more lively population and flora/fauna
4) The world of ER is the way it is because of "The Shattering". When you meet Aldia in DS2 and she realizes that you plan to end the current cycle, her exact dialog is "Young Hollow, are you intent on shattering the yoke, spoiling this wonderful falsehood?"
5) In DS3 the player permanently ends the cycle for the world of DS1, so I'm guessing this game is something similar for the world of DS2
6) Surely more stuff I haven't seen yet

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is there anyway to see where you died?

There will be a marker on your compass at the top of the screen pointing to it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 25, 2022

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

are log in servers hammered or what? was not able to login last night, was able to this morning, but now cannot.

Is there a new update maybe? I think they had a day one patch and may have released another overnight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Running away is a perfectly valid strategy and you should never feel bad about it. Early-ish game spoiler: I got past the big gate-pass with a bunch of archers and a large troll I could hardly damage by just sprinting past them on my horse. I kept going and found a grace and now I never have to think about them again. In fact, I think that’s the intended solution, cause it’s very stupid otherwise.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m worried I’m going to burn out cause I don’t feel like I’m making much progress and I’m still having trouble against the bigger guys and I don’t know where I am going in this castle.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Incantations aren't really seeming great against big bosses yet, but they certainly trivialize minibosses. Also, finally found a hopefully good 26 str battle hammer in a random cave, moveset seems fun and it's the sort of weapon I've been specifically looking for.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like maybe don’t be in the castle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

I’m worried I’m going to burn out cause I don’t feel like I’m making much progress and I’m still having trouble against the bigger guys and I don’t know where I am going in this castle.

Leave the castle and explore the other 90% of the game :kiddo: There's like, four entire Dark Souls Game sized landmasses outside the castle.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Running away is a perfectly valid strategy and you should never feel bad about it.

my preferred way to go about it is I'll plow through an area once killing everything at least once (to make sure I loot everything) and then never touch it again lol

like in your example I made the ogre kill everybody for me and then bit him in the ankles until he died

enemy in-fighting is super useful in this game

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Deviant posted:

Am I confused or are some spells just bad and you have no way of knowing? I bought Crystal Barrage and Glintstone Stars and they're just not as good?

There's Glintstone Pebble, Glintstone Arc (situational) and Carian Slicer (situational). The rest that she sells, at least up to the first scroll, are poo poo. Once you get the second scroll you get Great Glintstone Shard... which you won't use because it's slower, shorter range, and less efficient.

Damage at 28 Int vs test guard:
Swift Glintstone 97 (5 mana)
Glintstone Pebble 139 (7 mana)
Great Glintstone Shard 199 (12 mana)

I have no idea if at level 180 you're chucking soul glintstone spears for huge damage, but if that's the case you can always respec when you get there. In the meantime go play someone fun that can engage with the R2 poisebreaking stuff and nifty weapon arts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lhet posted:

Incantations aren't really seeming great against big bosses yet, but they certainly trivialize minibosses. Also, finally found a hopefully good 26 str battle hammer in a random cave, moveset seems fun and it's the sort of weapon I've been specifically looking for.

I want to swing it around on a chain like the boss so bad, it's bullshit lol. Also give me that helmet

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Am I reading correct that refusing Melina will block progression at some point? I think that's kind of lame if that's the case and don't know why they'd leave it up to a choice by the player.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm never going to beat this but I'm enjoying the danger and suspense of mousing around a jaw-dropping but deadly and broken magical world

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I love my stupid cleaver axe thing with it's goofy auto-run R2 attack. It looks so stupid, but it's fun to wave your sword and CHAAARGE!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I guess similarly if I can't beat the tree sentinel this game is probably too hard for me huh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

There's Glintstone Pebble, Glintstone Arc (situational) and Carian Slicer (situational). The rest that she sells, at least up to the first scroll, are poo poo. Once you get the second scroll you get Great Glintstone Shard... which you won't use because it's slower, shorter range, and less efficient.

Damage at 28 Int vs test guard:
Swift Glintstone 97 (5 mana)
Glintstone Pebble 139 (7 mana)
Great Glintstone Shard 199 (12 mana)

I have no idea if at level 180 you're chucking soul glintstone spears for huge damage, but if that's the case you can always respec when you get there. In the meantime go play someone fun that can engage with the R2 poisebreaking stuff and nifty weapon arts.

speaking of, does reinforcing catalysts upgrade spell damage in this ala dark souls 2/3 or is it unnecessary ala dark souls 1

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips for someone who started as Astrologer? Kinda seems like the game boils down to spamming magic and hoping enemies are dead by the time they’re close enough to hit you, and I’m half tempted to respec into something more dynamic. Am I also expected to get some melee going?

And yes, I’ve been boosting HP and stamina.

Astrologer got a lot easier for me once I found a shield that absorbed 100% physical damage. That way, your stamina bar becomes an extension of your health for those attacks. I found a crystal sword which scales off of int, and has a different moveset to the starting shortsword, but it needs less common materials to upgrade.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

please let's not let this absolute gem of a post get buried:

kneelbeforezog posted:

I really think the SoulsGenre type game is for people who have a deep need for self validation and ego lifting. I don't see the appeal in being triumphant in such an endeavor and I feel like for the select few who do like it genuinely, the rest are just doing it out of insecurity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are a shocking number of pubbies running in a straight line to Margit and immediately eating poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess similarly if I can't beat the tree sentinel this game is probably too hard for me huh

The Tree Sentinel is an optional boss, most Dark Souls games have a particularly hard optional boss right in the beginning. You can skip him and come back later.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no you're supposed to come back to him later. You can beat him if you're good/persistent enough though (the same thing in this series lol)

For reference, I could eat an entire combo from the first boss. Tree Sentinel was one-shotting me.

If it helps, the only thing you get from him is his halberd which you WILL NOT have the stats to use for a bit lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Babe Magnet posted:

my preferred way to go about it is I'll plow through an area once killing everything at least once (to make sure I loot everything) and then never touch it again lol

like in your example I made the ogre kill everybody for me and then bit him in the ankles until he died

enemy in-fighting is super useful in this game

Why even bother, though? If an area can be skipped and it’s not a boss, dungeon, or has good loot, it’s just runes you can get elsewhere. :v: Maybe I shoulda rolled a thief or something instead.

TheMostFrench posted:

Astrologer got a lot easier for me once I found a shield that absorbed 100% physical damage. That way, your stamina bar becomes an extension of your health for those attacks. I found a crystal sword which scales off of int, and has a different moveset to the starting shortsword, but it needs less common materials to upgrade.

Ooh, I’ll keep an eye out for that. Is it in Limgrave or another part of the map?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Why even bother, though?

because I am John Darksouls and if I can target it, it must die.

real answer is it made farming the godrick soldier set quick and easy and I wanted to see what he dropped. it's nothing btw, or rather, he's not gauranteed to drop anything.

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I shoulda rolled a thief or something instead.

wretch life baby

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Was able to play online a bit early in the day, now the game just tells me "failed to acquire parental controls" (I have none) and starts offline. PS5 here. Anyone with the same issue?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Me to my friend: what are the bloodstains about?
My friend: someone died there. You can use the bloodstain to see the last few seconds of their life.
Me, looking at the blood-covered tutorial zone: :dafuq:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Souls games love teaching you lessons in oblique ways. In the case of tree sentinel the lesson is "hey you can just run away/around tough enemies and come back later"

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Babe Magnet posted:

no you're supposed to come back to him later. You can beat him if you're good/persistent enough though (the same thing in this series lol)

For reference, I could eat an entire combo from the first boss. Tree Sentinel was one-shotting me.

If it helps, the only thing you get from him is his halberd which you WILL NOT have the stats to use for a bit lol

That makes me feel better. I can get him down to half. I haven't had any troubles with the werewolf boss or the drek both both were easy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taking about accessibility for this game, why are you running headfirst into the first bosses you meet and just refusing to go another direction?

edit: holy poo poo slashing weapons look so much easier to use on horseback then piercing

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 25, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

:'-(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just met Patches lmfao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kneelbeforezog posted:

dark souls is easy so not sure what your point is

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah 90% of the time if you get absolutely floored by something in a souls game, the game is telling you one of two things: 1) come back later 2) gottem', check your corners nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

The Tree Sentinel is an optional boss, most Dark Souls games have a particularly hard optional boss right in the beginning. You can skip him and come back later.

Is this the same boss that sends you on your real adventure once you lose to it? I figured someone could Sekiro-style kick it's rear end but I was too busy pulling up the message window instead of rolling to stand a chance.