Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

If this drags on is there anything to really stop a NATO country giving the Ukraine military hundreds of drones and having their pilots just sitting in a bunker in like Poland or whatever for the next few weeks sitting in safety sniping Russian tanks, parked helicopters etc from 30000 miles up or what have you? I'm not sure if Ukraine really has many but it seems like that could really bloody Russian noses without putting Ukrainian soldiers at risk. I mean NATO has already pledged weapons but I wonder if say the USA pledged 20 drones to Ukraine that would be too far.

I think there is also the question of where do you set up the control posts. Wouldn't Poland letting the Ukrainians sit in their territory conducting acts of war effectively expand the theater to include Poland? It's one thing to host a government-in-exile, but it seems like quiet another to let them launch and control drones from "neutral" territory.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All Ukraine needs to do is hold out. The longer they can do so the more likely more and more and more sanctions will stop the advance. Or diplomatic options will increase.

From what I see as well, it would seem that the Russians are extremely ill prepared for the conflict. Not in terms of men and materials but experience, that's why we're seeing ship to ship missiles hitting Japanese and Romanian freighters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dog Friday posted:

Can the US donate a massive fleet of drones to the Ukraine, then have Ukraine outsource the operation of said drones to a private company in Switzerland (lets say) which happens to employ recently former US drone operators?

Literally everyone would know its a farce. Theres no benefit in doing this over just straight up having the us drone strike people.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dog Friday posted:

Can the US donate a massive fleet of drones to the Ukraine, then have Ukraine outsource the operation of said drones to a private company in Switzerland (lets say) which happens to employ recently former US drone operators?

No there's no legal loophole that lets you fight a war and not expect to get shot back. Neutral states have an obligation to prevent hostilities from being conducted within their borders, if they don't then that's an act of war.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm not saying the power plant stuff is true, but one of the Kyiv live cams I've been watching went down right around that time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

Are you in Medyka? I want to go help next week as well.

I am in Dorohusk/Chelm. I heard from people that Zosin and the other one have more foot traffic and its easier to pick people up. It’s a mess here! You sort of stand in a crowd of people and shout “hey im going to warsaw!!!!”.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm honestly surprised NATO hasn't used the "PMCs" trick Russia uses to be sneaky

Just say Ukraine hired a bunch of PMC's that just so happen to be American and French nationals and have equipment, nothing wierd about that :shrug:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 25, 2022

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A Ukrainian with Titanium Balls trying to have a boxing match with a moving Russian convoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/t13rw1/a_ukrainian_citizen_attempting_to_block_a_large/

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1497284034661007361

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Footage of direct fire on a hospital ward
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497266229219897346?t=O7ozbtkQobmIrQSvFRnKDg&s=19

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not saying the power plant stuff is true, but one of the Kyiv live cams I've been watching went down right around that time.

Assuming there's a managed electrical grid, a power plant could go off line and only knock out part of the city as the grid rebalances and cuts off what it can't support.

Another explanation is that whatever data carrier said cams were hooked up to went down.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

e: sorry wrong thread

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Warmachine posted:

I think there is also the question of where do you set up the control posts. Wouldn't Poland letting the Ukrainians sit in their territory conducting acts of war effectively expand the theater to include Poland? It's one thing to host a government-in-exile, but it seems like quiet another to let them launch and control drones from "neutral" territory.

I feel like you're severely underestimated the average Pole's loathing of Russia.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

In video games, I have seen MTB LAW units are reloadable. IRL though, it seems these entire things just work once then you cannot reload them, right?

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I was quite surprised to learn that Czech administrator of .cz domain had blocked 8 known disinformational/hoax news servers in Czech language (Kremlin paid as our intelligence agency was saying for years) today and that had never happened before if I remember it correctly. Which could be an issue because freedom of press, etc. so is something like that happening in other countries? And I'm still not sure I like that they did it. I mean I partially do but ...

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1497292151092305923?s=20&t=7NgjNiH17zhMm6X6Hq602w

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1497284141955661827?s=20&t=7NgjNiH17zhMm6X6Hq602w

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dopilsya posted:

I hate to post up in this thread and believe me I know how lovely this is going to sound. I noticed you don't have PMs, but I was wondering if I could ask some questions.

I have a friend who's near Kyiv. I've heard Ukraine has closed the border to males and are drafting people who come through. Are you able to tell if that's the case, or have any been able to make it?

Also, any general impressions of the border crossing that you have, please share.

For this second question, I cannot stress enough, I am not asking you or anyone else to do anything illegal and please DO NOT put yourself at risk legally, physically, etc. Just wanting information for what the situation on the ground is like:

With it being an absolute mess, is there a lot of Ukrainian police around or anything? Really I'm asking if it were to come to it, does it look like it would be exceptionally difficult for a person to sneak through? He has his own car, so I'm not asking anyone to sneak him through, I'm just trying to get a sense if he could do it on his own if necessary.

Thank you so much for any info you can give, please stay safe.

Hey! Sorry for brief answers im in the car in a field. Yes, every male is getting turned around at the border

Regarding point two, I think the Polish side is heavily policed. I have no idea about the other side! There’s zero chance to sneak in a car, can’t say if he could pay anyone off but I doubt it!

I would say from what I’m seeing this is heavily enforced and the border is really hot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I feel like you're severely underestimated the average Pole's loathing of Russia.

Oh, I severely doubt that. I'm mostly thinking about the 'rules of war' response without respect to how eager Poland would be to do it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've been following this here and just for contrast, on an Irish messageboard which has a... reputation for tolerating racist/bigoted/far right/xenophobic members. They regularly parrot all the usual far right talking points.
Anyway, the weird and interesting thing is that even there, the consensus is that Putin is totally in the wrong and Ukraine should be supported.
The posters who'd usually be cheerleading him as a strong force against WOKE are almost entirely opposed to this current action. They occasionally mutter about how NATO is somehow at fault, but it is very half-hearted.
Seems like Putin has, so far, completely lost the propaganda war outside a very small bubble.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inner Light posted:

In video games, I have seen MTB LAW units are reloadable. IRL though, it seems these entire things just work once then you cannot reload them, right?

My understanding is they are disposable so yeah fire and drop.

They also can soft launch, which means you can fire them in an enclosed space. Which means that they are ideal for urban settings like this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ronya posted:

In the meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1497282601521926145
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1497280504986488837

I also don't know how effective WW2-vintage equipment like these can possibly be - I think a modern MBT is both too low and too heavy? - but it's probably excellent for morale and symbolism

"Czech hedgehogs" are still useful to block or slow down lighter AFV's and other vehicles. It's not like a T-90 can just blindly drive through it either without risk of getting stuck, but since these aren't anchored down in a concrete base like the originals they can be pushed aside. So good enough for a roadblock, just place RPG teams on both sides and some anti-tank mines on the sides of the road.

Molotov coctails seem a little... suicidal/ineffective. This isn't 1939, tanks are better protected now. Good way to torch abandoned enemy vehicles and prevent their recapture, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Warmachine posted:

Assuming there's a managed electrical grid, a power plant could go off line and only knock out part of the city as the grid rebalances and cuts off what it can't support.

Another explanation is that whatever data carrier said cams were hooked up to went down.

The Ukrainian federal government "corrected" the Mayor of Kiev and confirmed that the power plant was damaged, but not destroyed. There was not a blackout and it is still functioning.

The Mayor had said it was destroyed by Russia, but it was just bombed and still functional.

Any sort of power outage on livestreams is most likely not related to the power plant.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mokotow posted:

Hey! Sorry for brief answers im in the car in a field. Yes, every male is getting turned around at the border

Regarding point two, I think the Polish side is heavily policed. I have no idea about the other side! There’s zero chance to sneak in a car, can’t say if he could pay anyone off but I doubt it!

I would say from what I’m seeing this is heavily enforced and the border is really hot.

Your a loving hero.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pookah posted:

I've been following this here and just for contrast, on an Irish messageboard which has a... reputation for tolerating racist/bigoted/far right/xenophobic members. They regularly parrot all the usual far right talking points.
Anyway, the weird and interesting thing is that even there, the consensus is that Putin is totally in the wrong and Ukraine should be supported.
The posters who'd usually be cheerleading him as a strong force against WOKE are almost entirely opposed to this current action. They occasionally mutter about how NATO is somehow at fault, but it is very half-hearted.
Seems like Putin has, so far, completely lost the propaganda war outside a very small bubble.
It would seem the Irish of all people would have a certain degree of empathy even if they were pretty Putin-brained.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

"Czech hedgehogs" are still useful to block or slow down lighter AFV's and other vehicles. It's not like a T-90 can just blindly drive through it either without risk of getting stuck, but since these aren't anchored down in a concrete base like the originals they can be pushed aside. So good enough for a roadblock, just place RPG teams on both sides and some anti-tank mines on the sides of the road.

Molotov coctails seem a little... suicidal/ineffective. This isn't 1939, tanks are better protected now. Good way to torch abandoned enemy vehicles and prevent their recapture, though.

I'm sorry I didn't realize the law of thermodynamics ended in 1939. Tank still gets hot if it's in flames. And your air supply becomes a little dicey with smoke.
Seeing as most likely the air filters in the tanks are missing/sold

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Pookah posted:

Is there anyone that outright supports this action? Xi was far more upfront that usual this time about their dislike of this course of action.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Inner Light posted:

Yes. It's disposable. It's pretty much a more modern, guided, replacement for the AT-4.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dog Friday posted:

Is there anyone that outright supports this action? Xi was far more upfront that usual this time about their dislike of this course of action.

Trump.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Pookah posted:

It's almost physically impossible to not root for the underdog. It's incredible to see peoples brains just convulsing and switching over in some communities. The remaining hardcore will be even more fringe nuts tho.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
One of the early tactical analyses I've read indicated that Russian infantry has been not dismounting to provide screens, leading to high casualty rates from vehicles getting struck. If infantry aren't providing a screen for vehicles then molotovs could result in some sticky burns.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dog Friday posted:

Does it count as support if you're saying 'this is 100% NATO's fault btw' or not, this affects the math.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Tanks need to pull in air from somewhere for the crew to breathe and it can't be on the underside (dust and mud from normal operations can block them), which does result in certain places that a sustained fire will make the crew have a bad time.

This usually isn't an issue because tanks are supported by ground infantry and you have to be close to use one, but the Russians haven't been disciplined in this so far.

Also a sheet of fire obscures optics and thermals pretty well

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dog Friday posted:

Syria and Belarus are BIG fans actually!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dog Friday posted:

Trump and Trump's sycophants. At least Tommy Tuberville a sitting Senator claimed that Russia needs to do this because they lack farmland.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sports and Russia-Ukraine conflict

- UEFA moves Champions League Final from St Petersburg to Paris

- Formula 1 cancels Russian Grand Prix

- Manchester United drops Aeroflot as sponsor

- Schalke 04 remove Gazprom's name from their shirts, company executive quits team board

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

aba posted:

I was quite surprised to learn that Czech administrator of .cz domain had blocked 8 known disinformational/hoax news servers in Czech language (Kremlin paid as our intelligence agency was saying for years) today and that had never happened before if I remember it correctly. Which could be an issue because freedom of press, etc. so is something like that happening in other countries? And I'm still not sure I like that they did it. I mean I partially do but ...

Polish Radio/TV Board blocked Russia Today from transmitting on free channels in the country (first good thing it did since takeover by PiS), various private companies also blocked some of Russian channels.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/NadiaWhittomeMP/status/1497235831391719427

From what I understand, Ireland, on the other hand, has waived visa restrictions for Ukrainian refugees, so...yeah, Ireland is better than England, sorry, I don't make the rules.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Statement on CNN from former Ukranian President Poroshenko in Kyiv. You can tell he's emotional

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=nSm9oXSJDnpkmK54y4M30w&s=19

It seems it's now become an existential battle as well for a lot of Ukranians. Not a great sign for an easy occupation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My understanding going into things, ignorant as I am about Eastern European politics, was that neither side is a particularly Stirling example of progressive politics but that doesn't much matter when the aggressor is clearly conducting a war for fun and profit without a casus belli.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

It's almost physically impossible to not root for the underdog. It's incredible to see peoples brains just convulsing and switching over in some communities. The remaining hardcore will be even more fringe nuts tho.

Thanks for reminding me to check the freep thread and see how they're handling it.