Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

aperfectcirclefan posted:

That makes me feel better. I can get him down to half. I haven't had any troubles with the werewolf boss or the drek both both were easy

those are like minibosses, I'm referring to the first real-rear end cut-scene having poo poo-talking boss in the castle. The minibosses can be hard later though. Stuff in caves or open world seems to do absurd damage but have low health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These games overall aren't "hard" - they're games where you're given (or rather, can find) an extensive toolset that allows you to do all kinds of things. Approaching bosses and dungeons without appropriate tools is doable, but that's when the game becomes difficult. For people who have been playing the series all along, intentionally not having or not using the right tools is part of the fun and the charm - because ultimately the game is designed around being able to beat it naked with a club if you are good enough - but you can trivialize almost everything with the right tool.

For new players who are struggling I very strongly recommend finding yourself a bow, the king of cheese strats - it will let you pull enemies one at a time, snipe dangerous things from safe spots, plink away at bosses without exposing yourself to danger, etc. Magic is also very good but keep in mind that various enemies and bosses have resistances to different damage types, so your sorceries will be OP against some things and weak against others. Throwing knives, fire bombs, etc. are all nice to have handy and to experiment with. The crafting system, if you feel like engaging with it, will provide you with an endless supply of those consumables so you can use them all willy-nilly if you want.

While the "best" way to play is to be very aggressive, being very defensive is totally valid too (albeit slower) - in fact defensive play has been buffed quite a bit in this game over the last couple Fromsoft games. Slow, methodical use of tools, even if it feels like a dirty or cheap trick, is not only possible but also kind of encouraged by the game overall. And at the end of the day this kind of stuff is why so many of us love them - they are some of the only games in existence where what your character is capable of is mostly a factor of what you as a player are comfortable with or what your playstyle is. Literally anything can be used to win, but that doesn't mean you have to bash your head against the wall to win with what you have.

Also if something is giving you trouble just explore the world!

e: And don't be afraid to put down your own summon sign! Being summoned is IMO one of the best ways to improve and get better, because you get to see the things that other players do and learn from them, plus there is no penalty for dying as a summon and it earns you a lot of loot/runes - you can hoover up resources and money/exp while playing very aggressively and getting a feel for each enemy/boss. Don't feel bad if you get summoned and die, it happens, and this game makes it super easy for the host to pop back to life and try again with new summons.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 25, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's what the greatsword looks like this time around, it's a good tribute

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are people rolling Wretcheds?

Habit, mostly. And also I like the flexibility of starting with a level 1 class that I can build in any arbitrary direction I want or need, and there's a kind of charm in having to scrounge up whatever armor and equipment you can.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m debating rerolling to either sorc or someone that can use big cool 2h weapons and I don’t know which would be more fun...the usual souls debate begins

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
gently caress the night cavalry

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How long does it take to find a twin blade weapon?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
For anyone who started Wretched and is feeling like it's a drag to get started, here's my quick and easy farming guide.

First, get your horse. Then, use that horse to run past every mean bastard thing until you get to the bonfire right before Margit, just inside the castle gates.

From there, you can sneak up and easily kill 7 soliders who are watching the opposite direction. At low levels, they give enough souls to be worth the cycle and you'll probably get lucky and get pants and gloves and maybe an armor from it. Then you can just buy the chain mail hat from Santa Claus in the church.

This would be tedious after like level 15 or so, but it can get you caught up in a hurry and hopefully get you clad in armor fairly quickly without having to buy all of it.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Game rules, was getting some minor stutters occasionally during the first part of a 4h session but other than that it's been a rock solid 60fps @ 1440p on a 5600x/3070.

For what it's worth, I did "fixes" mentioned here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat this map is huge I keep finding random poo poo to do. These mini-dungeons of caves and mines and catacombs are great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are people rolling Wretcheds?

it's the only "new car." all the other classes are used cars, with like 10 levels on them and random stats and french fries all stuck in the seat crevices

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just purchased a game called elden ring!!!!!

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I guess similarly if I can't beat the tree sentinel this game is probably too hard for me huh

like everyone else is saying, come back to the tree sentinel later. i'm garbage at souls games but i've spent my time instead doing mini-dungeons and other random bosses, and took down the tree man finally at level 20. Grabbing the wolf summon bros helps a lot too as they'll distract him so you can get easy hits. There's so much more to do if you ever get roadblocked on one thing. it doesn't help though that if you're playing on PC the entire combat area stutters uncontrollably no matter what your specs are.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Absolutely loving this game after failing to really get into any of the previous Souls game. My question is about sorcery and what I can do to improve it. I went as an Astrologer and while it’s been great to snipe enemies from afar, I’m struggling to find interesting spells to progress the class.

I’m level 25 and still use the starting two spells (pebble and arc). I found Sellen in the Waypoint Ruins and bought some more spells from them (crystal barrage and glintstone stars) but I find that their damage to fp ratio to still be below the starting two spells and don’t offer much benefits over them. Is there something I am missing with these? I keep discovering all of these faith based incantations and am kind of regretting not investing in that as those spells all sound so cool.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

These games overall aren't "hard" - they're games where you're given (or rather, can find) an extensive toolset that allows you to do all kinds of things. Approaching bosses and dungeons without appropriate tools is doable, but that's when the game becomes difficult. For people who have been playing the series all along, intentionally not having or not using the right tools is part of the fun and the charm - because ultimately the game is designed around being able to beat it naked with a club if you are good enough - but you can trivialize almost everything with the right tool.

For new players who are struggling I very strongly recommend finding yourself a bow, the king of cheese strats - it will let you pull enemies one at a time, snipe dangerous things from safe spots, plink away at bosses without exposing yourself to danger, etc. Magic is also very good but keep in mind that various enemies and bosses have resistances to different damage types, so your sorceries will be OP against some things and weak against others. Throwing knives, fire bombs, etc. are all nice to have handy and to experiment with. The crafting system, if you feel like engaging with it, will provide you with an endless supply of those consumables so you can use them all willy-nilly if you want.

While the "best" way to play is to be very aggressive, being very defensive is totally valid too (albeit slower) - in fact defensive play has been buffed quite a bit in this game over the last couple Fromsoft games. Slow, methodical use of tools, even if it feels like a dirty or cheap trick, is not only possible but also kind of encouraged by the game overall. And at the end of the day this kind of stuff is why so many of us love them - they are some of the only games in existence where what your character is capable of is mostly a factor of what you as a player are comfortable with or what your playstyle is. Literally anything can be used to win, but that doesn't mean you have to bash your head against the wall to win with what you have.

Also if something is giving you trouble just explore the world!

Yeah, the game changes drastically the moment you get a decent weapon and start upgrading it, same for relics/armor/spells etc. This game actively punishes you for trying to fall back into rote habits of just attack and roll. It wants you to really learn the strengths and weakness of your weapons and use them appropriately.

After that, it's a matter of learning weapon specifics, dodge roll timing, block parry etc. I was getting wrecked by that red phantom with the massive gently caress off mace, then I realized that R2 for the Rapier can be charged and timed to lunge forward as he's racing towards you and it interrupts his attacks. I went from barely taking 1/4 of his life bar to wiping him with taking damage between deaths.

As I'm writing this I remember I still forget to do R1-R1-R2 for the rapier which is basically the same pace as hitting R1 every time but does a significant extra chunk of damage.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 25, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m debating rerolling to either sorc or someone that can use big cool 2h weapons and I don’t know which would be more fun...the usual souls debate begins

Do both at once!

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Was about to refund this because it was completely unplayable on my 3070, with terrible framerate, black boxes and getting kicked to the main screen all the time until I switched from fullscreen to borderless fullscreen and now it runs perfectly fine somehow? That's a new one on me.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
game loves people who jump + r2 and i'm down for it. [limgrave] Forlorn Hound Evergaol took a handful of tries with how fast the boss dodges, but once i managed to connect a couple times with slam attacks on his head, and then followed up with the punish, dang it felt good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmfao cool Margit strat I just watched my buddy do

summon the jellyfish it has a ton of health. Summon it somewhere you won't be fighting like at the top of the bridge arena. The jellyfish will slowly plink away at the boss but also poison him from time to time. Meanwhile your entire job is to keep Margit from hitting the jellyfish; the game doesn't do "aggro" enemies only care about the last dude that hits them. Move in and hit Margit a couple of times after every jellyfish blast. My buddy killed him without using a single estus this way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone else getting a network error every time you turn on your PS5 to play this? I'm not losing any progress but it does take me to the title screen and I have to go back into my game.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

hell yeah finally took down margit after dying like 20 times

Babe Magnet posted:

lol i sorta did this but i got hit way more and used the wolves

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 25, 2022

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone able to get online with the Xbox version?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ASenileAnimal posted:

hell yeah finally took down margit after dying like 20 times

:same: just finished that fight thanks to my wolf buddies distracting him

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

summon the jellyfish it has a ton of health. Summon it somewhere you won't be fighting like at the top of the bridge arena. The jellyfish will slowly plink away at the boss but also poison him from time to time. Meanwhile your entire job is to keep Margit from hitting the jellyfish; the game doesn't do "aggro" enemies only care about the last dude that hits them. Move in and hit Margit a couple of times after every jellyfish blast. My buddy killed him without using a single estus this way.

Aurelia is my best friend :hai:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Those who have already played further: without spoiling specifics, how viable is a mage build this time around? I started an astrologist and so far have been plinking away at mobs with my basic spell. I never played a mage before on Souls games, I always went with some kind of warrior type, so I wanted something different.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
thoughts so far after exploring for a few hours:

the very start

I took out the first camp and wasn't very impressed, I was just like 'oh this is open world dark souls'. Then I started to explore more and the sheer weirdness of the world started to win me over. When the NPC who gives you the jellyfish was like 'lol say hi to my friends that got turned into pupae' I was reminded just how weird and unique From games are.

So far I'm enjoying the exploration a lot just because of how much faith I have in FromSoft that there will be something weird and unique around each corner. And so far, they haven't disappointed.
Random things I saw in the starting area that won me over:

A bear rubbing his rear end on a tree
a giant dragon burnt some losers
an underground galaxy aqueduct
horrifying cthulu anenomes washed up on a beach

but i think my two favorite things i found

the stone watch dog boss in one of the first dungeons. Just the crazy way he was animated, totally awesome
there's a cliffside path that takes you to lake liurna that is just super atmospheric. I'm loving being in a from game that isn't all doom and gloom all the time

The gap between the proper bosses and the minor bosses is pretty huge. The amount of effort put into Margit is just astonishing, god drat. Feels almost as intricate as Isshin, which is just insane. From is in a league of their own when it comes to these serious fights.
I also really love the Church Infiltrator, the outfit looks so cool on the horse. The stealth spell should last longer.

Margit question:

Did anyone beat Margit at a low level? Seemed like EVERYONE was getting wrecked by the second phase. I was starting to get the hang of it, really only attacking when he does his various jump attacks. But he has so many combos with variations, especially the seemingly infinite spin to win would always catch me. I could realiably get him down to about 25% health. Do I just have to learn his insane combos and dodge. Felt doable on the first phase, second phase real hard.

Margit comments:

I'm really impressed by how Margit takes the so many different ways to play and tries to make a challenging boss for all of them. Just the fact that he can change target mid combo makes co-op play much less mindless. He has mixed damage type combos to try to prevent big full physical resist shields trivialising the fight. He has quick responsive long range attacks to prevent ranged people from trivialising the fight. Just goddamn, the amount of work into this boss is just insane.

Horse fights are cool but they seem way less precise than melee fights. Nice to have that variety.

Elden Ring has realized the dream of letting me be HELD by a spooky lady in ren faire garb. GOTY

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the sheep rolling away from you is the best animation in the entire game

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
quick question-

is there a way to use my swords ash of war while I'm using a shield?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dodgeblan posted:

quick question-

I think the shield with the empty skill slot lets you do that.

It's a 75% dmg negation iron shield from the beach merchant to the left of Kale.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a guy you can buy the empty ashes of war for your bows/shields from in the north of the first zone, in a house along the road

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dodgeblan posted:

quick question-

Make sure the shield has the “no art of war” on it. You can buy it from the guy who sells them, I think.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also I thought it was very funny that there's randomly a guy with an extremely normal first and last name shouting at you

loathsome dung eater
margit the fell omen
kenneth haight

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TeaJay posted:

Those who have already played further: without spoiling specifics, how viable is a mage build this time around? I started an astrologist and so far have been plinking away at mobs with my basic spell. I never played a mage before on Souls games, I always went with some kind of warrior type, so I wanted something different.

I've been playing a prisoner and the starting spell has been wrecking dudes up through Margit. Seems pretty powerful, just slow to cast. That you can walk and cast makes it far more dynamic than previous games imo.

Also using a long sword in the other hand.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I should be able to kill the night cavalry at lvl 35 right? loving guy just two shots me and aaaaagh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

The game actually does have a weird aggro mechanic, if at the start you choose Shabriri's Woe, it will make enemies more likely to target you than allies. I've always had it on, so I can't say for sure how often it triggers, but in my like 16 or so co-op Margit summons yesterday, there were definitely times he would stop targeting an ally with an attack and mid-swing spin and pivot to target me as I was approaching it, not having hit it yet. However there are attacks where it seems to stay focused on it's target the whole way and I can get in back/tail stabs like anyone else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dodgeblan posted:

quick question-

I'm wondering this too, as my STR/FTH build involves having skills on both my sword and shield, so a blank shield is not an option. Am I just always going to have to switch off my shield to use the sword skill?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So I've got up to Margit and I've levelled up once. Is that right? I feel like the game is signalling to me to run past mobs since engaging them is risky and it just gave me a horse and a big road to horse on.

I'm going back to explore and level a bit, but it seems a little stingy with souls/echoes/grace so far. My partner wanted me to play as a naked guy, so my experience might be tarnished (ha!) by that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can you 2 hand it to use the right hand skill?

I’m level 21 I think and haven’t even come close to finding the first big boss. There is a lot to do outside of the main path.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dodgeblan posted:

Margit question:

Did anyone beat Margit at a low level? Seemed like EVERYONE was getting wrecked by the second phase. I was starting to get the hang of it, really only attacking when he does his various jump attacks. But he has so many combos with variations, especially the seemingly infinite spin to win would always catch me. I could realiably get him down to about 25% health. Do I just have to learn his insane combos and dodge. Felt doable on the first phase, second phase real hard.

I beat him at level 2 in like seven tries, but in three hours of co-op no one else managed it lmao. Pubbies don't realize you can sword counter the tail whip or jump it, and also don't realize that you don't have to attack aggressively forever (is this a Sekiro thing?). The only really hard thing is when he swaps out the one combo for the other, longer, mixed damage combo halfway through the first one lol, it's almost an instant kill at low levels if it connects. The npc summon is a trap - they can't heal and he'll burn him down, leaving you with a harder boss when it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can't check myself but wouldn't two handing your sword temporarily let you use the skill?